Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cops never wear their seatbelts, or at least city cops where I am don't. 100% the belt is buckled in behind the driver so the chime doesn't go off all day long and they just drive around sitting on the belt driving like maniacs. Pretty crazy and I expect it's a big factor in how many are killed or injured in crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

It definitely does... the reason most do it is because if you have to get out of the vehicle quickly, the belt is going to catch on all of the poo poo on your belt. You'll get hung up and kinda stuck until you unfuck yourself.

I had the same experience in a different life, doing basically law enforcement work under a contract with a municipality. I always wore my seltbelt and I got hung up a few times because of it. Saved my rear end when I got t-boned by a drunk driver while on patrol... but both vehicles were doing 30 mph, and all I ended up with was some deep bruising on the front part of my upper thighs (aside from really bad whiplash). I feel confident in believing that if it was a higher speed accident that both of my femurs may have been broken.

You really only have two options with the belt... place it above the belt and over your abdomen, or under the belt at the tops of your thighs. directly over the belt is really uncomfortable and may slide up/down anyways for whatever reason.

My brother was in a 120+ mph chase before the transmission in his car gave out and he told me he realized he was doing that without a seatbelt about halfway through. I told him I was glad the transmission went out and he said gently caress that, the guy got away and he had to drive 10 miles on the shoulder of the highway at 8 mph with his lights and siren on to get back to the city because they had no tows available.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Washington Post weather bloggers have some details on the storm.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The famed children's story about strange weather falling from the sky took a dark turn in the latest of the series: Cloudy With a Chance of People.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Adjacent to the property where I work were the last few commercial row-house holdouts in the downtown DC area that avoided either renovation or redevelopment in the 80s and 90s. These particular properties had a 'rich' history dating back to the 19th century as many things including shoe shops, bakeries, tattoo parlors, and brothels, possibly several times over, before falling vacant in recent years. A few years ago, ahead of a long-awaited project to develop the lots to a modern mid-rise multi-use building, the structures were razed and their rubble used to fill the footprint; however, the basement wasn't totally demoed and filled. Since then, the rooms that extend into the alley have continued to deteriorate.

This little pit is about 6-8 feet deep and is just waiting for a trash truck to wander a little too close and cause some excitement. Someone has helpfully already run over one of the cones another engineer stuck out there; I keep expecting to hear a noise one of these mornings.

I'm also told the old coal room that extends out under the sidewalk in front features similar conditions, but is a bit more reinforced. One hopes so.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Maxwells Demon posted:

http://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Dose_Factors.htm

Inhaling Pu-239 is 140 mSv/kBq.

so 22 kBq is 3,080 mSv aka 3 Sieverts.

Feels around the area to get worried about (~17% chance of cancer)

Doesn't plutonium also cause heavy metal poisoning effects similar to lead and mercury? I wonder what PPE they were/weren't using.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A bird strike at 39,000 feet would be especially bad because it would be completely frozen.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Going to have to chat with the apprentice about the tighten up during the major annual PM. #2 phase looks to have gotten a bit warm.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pretty happy we had a totally unrelated problem that I was digging into here.

e: 1/0 wire for a screw compressor. 143 FLA

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

You've gotta get a thermal camera for your PMs. It's not bulletproof but it can discover problems brewing really fast and not just for electrical systems.

I was working with electricians on an ancient (like 60-years old) 480V motor control center (like a big set of cabinets) from hell. It included several dangerous problem areas including a breaker that had a phase that was so badly overheating on the line side that almost all the insulation had disintegrated. I was so glad when we junked that POS.

I really prefer doing medium voltage work (generally 4.16kV-14kV) over low voltage anyways. Vacuum interrupters with a 1000MVA rating man.

We contract for IRs every 18 months, summer and winter alternating. The last IR was in winter so this equipment wasn't running, but I don't think it's been a problem for long or it would failed catastrophically. I'd love to have an IR imager, but the... uh, pennies are all preoccupied from above.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Those terminals are labeled right under the picture. Siemens soft starters that we installed because someone complained that the lights blinked on startup inrush. No joke. The lights flicked for 1/10th of a second. It did stop it, at least.

e: someone = "someone important client side"

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

neonbregna posted:

How does it extract smoke without bringing in fresh air containing a new supply of oxygen?

Typical sequence of operation where I am is fans pressurize the stairwells with fresh air for evacuation, supply dampers shut to prevent feeding air to the fire, return fans ramp and suck air out of the building through an exhaust damper on the roof. The HAVC won't supply air to the fire but it does make the building negative and will suck air in where it can around the envelope and the stairwell doors harder to open (which is part of why there are supposed to be floor marshals who assist evacuation). I don't think the idea is to keep the fans on the whole time the fire is fought, but just long enough to safely evacuate. There are controls in the fire command room for fire fighters to turn all the fans on or off.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alereon posted:

So does that more likely mean knocked overboard, or turned into chunky salsa inside the crunched ship?

My concern would be the flooded compartments.

e: Another angle of the other vessel.

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/875844601344655364

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I linked this pic over in the airpower thread, too. This is the ship that struck the Fitzgerald. The bow protrudes under the water-line to increase efficiency and would have caused substantial damage.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

When I was a teenager I might have performed some tests involving piles of old magazines and out-of-date encyclopedias in my basement. I have a very strongly held theory that steel-core 7.62x39 out of an SKS might tickle the concrete flood underneath about 2-ish feet of paper.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Efexeye posted:

haha i had to post this because we were having the drug testing discussion earlier

my wife does executive recruiting for loan officers and VPs and poo poo in the mortgage industry and had a phone interview with a guy who was drunk on the phone

he got rejected and is now suing her company saying that they discriminated against him due to a disability

carlifornia!

Did your wife mistake someone's speech disability for being drunk? Haha

Based on employer polls, a bit more than half of American companies drug test everyone they hire, but that number has been falling in part because so many people are failing their drug tests and it turns out not to matter a whole lot if your employees get high on their own time. Though there's a big problem finding candidates for police departments where otherwise qualified candidates smoked weed in the past, increasing legally too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That kid's a moron. That's a mason's hammer.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We were warned.

quote:

ISIS Drive, the International Splined Interface Standard, is a non-proprietary splined specification for the interface between a bicycle crankset and the bottom bracket spindle. It was created by King Cycle Group, Truvativ, and Race Face.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only things lower quality than that bike helmet article are historic bike injury statistics.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's brutal that they had 3% of the old style in service. Few enough that a worker might not have worked on one to see the flaw before the critical failure. What a landmine.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/cIC4tHT.gifv

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You let out a lot of whatever gas it drops the temperature of the canister a ton and so the pressure is very low. You run into this problem with refrigerants, so they make bottle heaters.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Plane Drops 70 Tons of Water on Bystanders

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The friction of the rope going over the edge is going to add a lot to how much weight it can hold up, but my question is: how is he going to get down?

That core shot rope probably isn't 100% either.

e: Oh I just saw the tail of the rope dangling. I guess he better rappel pretty steadily or momentum is going to take care of that friction thing pretty quick.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry i still think it's because people are short sighted and don't take into account that the same meteorological phenomena produce the same safety hazards regardless of where one is on the globe. i have lived in minnesota for over 20 years and every december we still have an outsized number of crashes compared to the other winter months, because it's the first month when snow/ice is down and people are dumb about it. trying to claim "oh but snow is like this in the south" is really stupid and dangerous. it's still frozen water on the road, you aren't special, and you have no excuse for not slowing the heck down and being careful

Soon Minnesota will have similar weather to North Carolina and you won't have to strain to imagine that the different conditions there might make the frozen water have different characteristics.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Here's a graphic based, apparently, on this thing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Washington Post food critic has been pretty vocal about the noise impact of the last decade of minimal design trend, and his reviews make note of the sound volume. From his recent fall guide:

quote:

90: the highest number of decibels recorded at a restaurant, at Ambar.

That would be pretty unbearable. As somebody with some hearing damage from various sources, a date in a loud spot can basically never go well and I'll just be miserable.

As far as I know there is 0 noise PPE or enforcement because lol restaurants are pretty much the wild west for almost all rules except ABC and food inspector.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Live music might up the time-weighted average enough in certain edge cases. Also, it depends where you draw the line between bar and restaurant. Lots of bars could probably qualify.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Years ago a girlfriend had a Christmas wreath of real pine boughs that she kept up into the second week of January or so. Apparently that was long enough for the thousands of praying mantis eggs in it to hatch. It was extremely freaky to notice the walls look like they were moving, but see upon close inspection that it was innumerable white baby praying mantises. I had to vacuum them up while she cried in the bathroom over the mass murder of cool baby bugs.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

You should have just left them there to grow into full-size praying mantises cause imagine how loving awesome that would be

A few of them escaped the sucking death and we rooted for them to survive to spring, but it turns out the inside of a row house in January isn't ideal for them.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The point is that harsh penalties can have unintended consequences such that past a certain limit you aren't further reducing infractions but actually increasing them, particularly when a driving license is almost causal to employment.

I have no data on whether most US jurisdicitons' penalties are well short or close to that limit, but it takes more consideration than "drunk driving is bad so punish it maximally" and defies comparison with jurisdictions where cars are not as central to life.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Blitter posted:

What the gently caress? Is someone forcing you to go out somewhere with a car, get drunk, and then drive?

If driving is central to your life, how about not endangering that by driving drunk? How would harsh penalties increase infractions? Who gives a gently caress if some shitheel who somehow was unable to avoid a DUI now gets caught driving without a license and gets jailed. Oh no! Consequences!!

I mean, I get that living in a lovely country like the US with less medical aid/addiction treatment doesn't make it easy for low income alcoholics but what's the answer? Give people a pass on loving murder?

People take a rational thought: "I probably won't be caught," and mix it with a totally irrational weighing of the consequences. That's just human nature and we are stuck dealing with it. The reality is that justice and effective public policy aren't always 1:1. It might be just to punish people more harshly for a given crime, but that doesn't mean it creates the best outcome for society.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lemon posted:

I guess the idea is that, besides punishment, it's preferable to actually stop people from driving drunk. Jail works well enough for that but it's not a long-term solution.

If you've got a dude somewhere with no public transportation to get him to work and you put a device on his car that makes it very difficult to drive drunk, then most likely he will be driving sober. If you take away his license then he may continue driving anyway in order to work, and will probably be doing so drunk.

Exactly. The concept pervades workplace safety as well.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Was the dude who wanders in late the flagman who was supposed to prevent that exact thing from happening?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jake Mustache posted:

Australian TV Host almost killed by Exploding Pop Bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuqgX6wsZ8

In the US you have to be careful with that kinda of stuff. It probably counts as a destructive device and could get you 25 years in the wrong context.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Sure, but all of those people are white.

This is definitely central to the outcome.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I worked as a mail-handler for USPS for four months in 2000 (worst job I ever had). I usually sorted SPBS junk mail but I would sometimes get called off to help unload trucks when they fell behind. Usually they were full of filthy, noxious smelling mail bags, but one day it was a truck full of computers. I can't remember if it was Gateway2000 or Dell but it was obvious what we were unloading and back then even basic PCs were still really expensive. We unloaded those boxes exactly as if they were mail bags, just throwing the boxes 10 or 15 feet the tall mail carts. You could hear stuff breaking and I'm looking around because I feel like this isn't okay but nobody gave a poo poo; just unload as fast as possible and move on.

I ended up leaving that job after I started to get repetitive stress injuries and was literally told that they would just fire me instead of giving me a wrist brace.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This happened at a building I used to run, but the opposite direction. The night cleaning crew put a backpack vacuum on the elevator and then moved to unplug it, but they were too slow. The elevator doors closed and the car went down, pulling the cord some ways before getting to the plug which caused the vacuum to smash into the elevator ceiling. The plug end broke and the loose wire in the shaft snagged in the door hardware and the elevator car got stuck between floors.

The best part is they didn't mention this to anyone. I got to work in the morning and found an elevator out of service. I called our mechanic who found the car location and opened the lobby doors to reveal 20 feet of SJ wire tangled in the door operator. We looked at each other and just sighed. I had to tell the night cleaning supervisor to have the "poo poo happens; I won't get mad, just tell me when it does" talk with his people.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The hard styrofoam (EPS) bike helmets are single use and designed to fracture with a significant impact. On a hard crash they will really break, though the plastic shell often holds them together, but they can explode dramatically too.

There are also multi-impact helmets that use polypropylene (EPP) or other softer materials that shouldn't break apart. They're often sold for use in sports where you're expected to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Maintenance and cleaning folks know that people will move your "restroom closed" signs with no hesitation, including wheeling work carts out of the way so they can squeeze past. I once had a woman come into a restroom in a food court where I had a toilet off the wall and a K-50 in the drain. I told her the bathroom is closed and she should use the other one 50 feet away, but she said she "just had to go." It didn't seem to faze her when I told her she was wading in 2 inches of raw sewage either, so I guess she really had to go.