Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Yeah it was a pretty horrifying death.

I do like the more Darwin award death video of chinese people kicking their way through a closed elevator door.

She managed to save her kid though.

I would have thought big cranes were designed not to fall this fast when they lose pressure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jabor posted:

It wasn't anything to do with hydraulic pressure - if you look at the second angle, you can see that the cable holding things up appears to be no longer attached to the thing it's supposed to be attached to.

Yeah, I guess it broke. I'd still expect some kind of safety device limiting the speed it could fall at.

Edit:

As an aside, why is it possible for car batteries to empty because someone left the lights on? it's trivial to separate power lines into important (including starting the engine) and unimportant functions (leave the AC/Heater on important) then turn off the unimportant line when the battery voltage drops below some voltage

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 23, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Car wiring is a mess as it is, let's not over-complicate everything because of a few dumbasses who leave their lights on.

it'd require:
-A voltage regulator outputting the cut-off voltage
-a comparator/transistor/opamp
-a relay/power switch
-a separate non-vital line

all on a pcb, if automotive current allows that

I don't even need any reference material to design something to prevent this...

edit: and I'm sure there's a more elegant/efficient way to design this

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

A place like Dubai is going to see their buildings lasting hundreds of years after the skyline of New York flattens itself.

I think you're forgetting that Dubai is going to be sucked beneath the sands like Ubar the second the oil runs out.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

In which case the buildings will stay largely intact for thousands of years, right? Give future alien archeologists something neat to look at.

that depends if it they literally sink or if it's more of a 'crushed beneath the weight of your sins" type thing

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

This never, ever gets old.

I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to sacrifice a virgin to the skid demon ( I am going to jump under a car)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I'm watching Event Horizon and this spaceship is one giant flying OSHA hazard. Giant pits with no railings and the walls covered in spikes, slippery pools of liquid in working spaces, no safety overrides to prevent a crazy or malicious operator from opening the airlocks, insufficient spare carbon dioxide scrubbers, no PPE stations anywhere near the room containing the giant reactor that emits dangerous brain altering radiation.

Also the ship keeps sending workers to a hell dimension.

Why do you hate small business?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Pressure isn't real

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

and that's why you don't challenge cars

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EKDS5k posted:

They build buses with a rigid frame with the expectation that they are a) slow moving and b) way heavier than 95% of everything else on the road. That way when they do crash into a car, they don't deform much and because they have several times the mass, the actual g force to the passengers isn't that great. It's when they hit things with more mass than the bus, like trees, walls, trains etc, that they have serious problems.

Uggghhh there's basically only two scenarios that wearing a ring can gently caress you up in a shop, and they are both horrifying. The first is what could have happened to you, getting caught on something and then degloving or totally removing the finger. And the other is that it conducts enough heat/electricity that it causes serious burns and can't be removed easily/quickly. When I first got into trades, one of my instructors told me about a guy who lost a finger because he was wearing a ring and reflexively grabbed a wrench that had fallen across the posts on a 12V battery. The ring melted instantly from the heat and fused down to the bone. My ring goes into my toolbox in the morning and back on after I'm done washing up at the end of the day (because I'm worried about the pumice in our hand cleaner eroding the soft metal prematurely).

plus even minor burns that form a complete circle around a finger can cause necrosis and fingat loss

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol yes. Completely normal. Sometimes we give you drugs during those that speed up your heart and metabolism and everything in order to provoke the SVT which causes our drugs to "wear off" a bit quicker. Then you fidget and we go oh poo poo and give you more.

nd sometimes we keep you awake, just for fun

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
*pushes sock into alarm annunciator*

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

<-- That's an annunciator. I think you mean the horn.

Blame Schneiders lazy use of language

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

that's a great way to gently caress up your tract (house)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

I think that what they did was tie all the stator leads together (six sets of wires) and applied a high DC voltage between that and the chassis of the motor.

Generally with a successful hi-pot, you get extremely low (like microamps) of current leakage. If there's a problem you'll get much more. The problem with hi-pot (high potential) testing is that if there's a problem the hi-pot test can push the device over-the-edge to complete failure. I think the insulation was so forgone that it failed pretty spectacularly. At places like factories and plants and mills some of these motors have extremely hard lives.

Here's a 15kV spice that was made completely wrong. It failed so badly that it tripped off the hi-pot tester. Remember this isn't like 120V or 240V. This is 15,000 volts so there are things you need to do that are special for that kind of connection that many people aren't educated on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai_D0J99DW4

I love the conversation:
"It [the bad connection being tested] tripped the thermal overload."
"How often does that happen?"
"Never."

I'll try to dig up a video of someone I know hi-pot testing a watermelon and a potato.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
the future of mobile electricity is an elaborate system of rails, carrying energized cables to each person

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

to be fair, he thought the sign was being sarcastic

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, I mentioned laser-cutting of aluminum using an inert air blast in my post. The point was that, unless you have so much power in the beam that the material vaporizes, you still need some kind of additional applied force to remove the molten material (or otherwise separate the pieces) and create the kerf. With a cutting torch it's the pressure of the oxygen blast, with a plasma torch or the laser cannon thing it's compressed air. With that anti-missile laser it's either aerodynamic forces, or maybe ignition of the missile's warhead or fuel.

Shine a 10-kilowatt laser at an empty missile case sitting on the ground a mile away, and it might slowly collapse under its own weight, but it won't be instantly ripped to shreds or anything.

If that cutting laser had no air blast, the metal in the cut zone would just be fusing back together after a few seconds.

I think the point of using the laser is that it's completely non-contact -- not even a ground electrode required -- so that you can chop up radioactive materials without contaminating the cutting equipment.

wouldn't surprise me if heating/melting part of a missile hosed up it's aerodynamics beyond the ability of the control system to compensate

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

give her an invitation to the white house

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

it's a reference to the clock bomb kid who turned out to be lying about having any interest in electronics (news footage showed him soldering the wrong side of a PCB)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

The cameraman probably asked him to flip it over to show the interesting bits. I was photographed for the local paper as a kid after I did well in some science quiz and the photographer got me to draw all kinds of dumb poo poo on the board for the picture.

he also said he "soldered CPUs" as well as a few other things, including that the clock in question was just a normal clock removed from it's housing. it had no internal battery, so if it started beeping in class he had to have plugged it in.

there's also a bunch of shady stuff with his family that I'm looking at atm

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Humphreys posted:

I read that and thought Abovetopsecret.com was still a forum and I had a tab open.

the GODAMN jews and their LIZARD SKIN DISGUISES

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

The clock looked exactly like what idiots imagine a bomb looks like.

Sagebrush posted:

The internet story: well obviously that clock looked exactly like a bomb because I know nothing at all about improvised explosives and get all my information from the TV show "24". Even though what he did was immediately determined by the police to be harmless, it was still his fault for doing a thing that looks suspicious if you're a moron, and he should have known better than to upset people dumber than himself. Also his dad was angry about the way his kid was treated so he's definitely one of those radicalized jihadist muslims Q.E.D. they were bad from the beginning and The Kid Was No Angel.

that is exactly what you'd want a fake bomb to look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Former DILF posted:

ill have you know that kid went on to commit the bowling green massacre

#NeverForget