Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Grundulum posted:

See also: Musk, Elon.

"I'm just saying virtually all white people in Thailand are pedophiles. Except for the ones who liked my special submarine, they're cool :)"

~ Our greatest mind, Elon Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

In either case Stop, Drop, and Roll will still be better than feeding tons of oxygen into the fire by running around like a chicken minus it's head.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sweet Christ I never want to work in negative-stupid temps ever again. I was in the army in Fairbanks, and training wasn’t suspended until it was -50F.

Ranges where you leave your weapon outside, because if you bring it in the metal is cold enough to condense whatever little humidity is left in the air and become a rusty mess? Check.

Your face cover falls just slightly, and you don’t notice until you go to shoot and you’ve suddenly got a frostbite streak across your cheek? Check.

Can’t turn off your vehicles because odds are good that the batteries, oil, or engine block will freeze? Check.

You hit a cold snap, and the air in your tires contracted to the point that your tires are both flat and frozen into a flattened shape, and have to be driven to break them back into being round? Check.

The difference between summer and winter temps isn’t so bad in a lot of places (maybe 30-40F where I live), and you should still keep an eye on your tires when the season changes. The cold snaps in Fairbanks could go down to -70F, while the baseline temp was somewhere around -20 (with heatwaves to above zero, sometimes). Add in the tire going “flat” because the air inside was too cold and contracted, then the tire freezes in that flat shape...

God I hope I never have to go back to that loving state.

e: it was so cold that road salt was no longer an option. In Fairbanks they used actual gravel instead, with predictable results for everyone’s windshields :haw:

This reads a lot like the rants my friend in the Norwegian army would send me, except add more complaining about HK416s just falling apart in the frozen environment.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

other people posted:

I kinda imagine a test pilot like this is supposed to be some super experienced no-nonsense person who does everything by the book to a fault. Obviously this is not true but are they even good pilots or does a company hire anyone they can find to "validate" and sign off on this kind of poo poo?

I knew Boeing was in trouble when they hired my cousin.

He barely graduated highschool, due to his early and frequent criminal activities. His hobbies include dirtbikes, "owning" the government by growing illegal weed while building illegal machine guns, and physically/emotionally abusing people.

I don't know exactly what his job title is but even if it was custodian I'd still be uncomfortable.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Oh hell yeah I was just watching a bunch of these British Pathe videos and I thought I saw a lot of material for this thread.

I'm not a candy making expert nor am I up to date on what is and isn't OSHA compliant but I think this isn't, around 14 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZK3uVihSE

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Burt Sexual posted:

Came for the candy, stayed for the blatant sexism.

They're absolutely full of sexism, around 1:20 for this one about miniature wargames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

Watch grand Moff Tarkin play with little mans, a fine hobby for any boy and more intelligent girls

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 19, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I feel like there's a certain type of idiot who thinks just because they're a land owner that they're basically qualified to do every single piece of work the property requires, and that hiring any sort of professional is a sign of weakness.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dick Burglar posted:

Who says it's the landowner? You can see the guy's bright blue trailer around the side of the house on the left. That maroon is (supposed to be) a professional.

You're absolutely right, I just assumed anyone getting paid to do this would be slightly competent. Also I'm just all traumatized from my grandpa who lived with us and did that kind of poo poo a lot.

One time we moved into a house that had a pool with a really really bad algae problem, and he gave me bleach pucks to scrape against the side of the pool until it got better. Nothing else, not even a pool testing kit. It took months and two different pool cleaning companies to convince him it would take more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pretty much everything on an aircraft carrier is an OSHA adventure

My friends dad had some horrible stories about serving on an aircraft carrier, I can't remember specifics but I think he considered himself lucky he only saw one person horribly maimed during his tour.