Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What am I looking at?

Racing pigeons: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw6phe_truck-loaded-with-racing-pigeons_animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaquin posted:

I knew a guy doing it a while back and I think he pulled down a real good four figures a week, I wana say 2k-2500

That's all!!?

You can get more than that sat at a desk doing software stuff.

I'd want around 10k a week to do that....one mistake and you are dead......DEAD! My rear end cheeks were clenched the entire video, and I am not even scared of heights. It's more the fact that if he slips, it's gameover.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm reminded of Domino's 20+ year promotion "30 minutes or it's free" which came to an end when the company had to settle several multi-million dollar lawsuits after their drivers caused a bunch of accidents by running red lights and driving like maniacs in order to deliver the pies on time.
http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/dominos.asp

I used to work for dominos as a pizza delivery driver when I was in college (uk college so age 17) on those 50CC mopeds, and I can tell you the "30minutes thing" was loving bullshit. I lived in a town of around 250k people, and this was before satellite navigation, and sometimes the routes you had to try and remember for a 3 stop delivery were pretty hard work. The poo poo I did on that bike to not got yelled at by my boss included:

- riding the thing offroad through parks at night (i got stuck more than once which was great fun) and got chased by a park patrol dog too....a big loving Alsatian
- I used to hop of my bike if the traffic lights turned red, run on the pavement with it to get around the light, then hop back on
- Completely ignoring train barriers: if the crossing was down but you couldnt see a train, you just went across or you would lose 10mins sometimes.
- I got hit by a car at in the rain, the bike got stuck under it and totalled, and I was flung about 10 feet but escaped with minor bruising and moderate grazing. My boss got pissed at me cos he would be one driver down while I went to the hospital

CCTV and camera phones wasn't really a thing in 1997, not at the quality where you could do anything with it anyway, so you could get away with a lot of that.

Oh, I also got chased down the street by a crazy man with a hammer wearing no shirt because I went to the wrong address. Thankfully he was fat and I was 17 so he couldn't catch me and gave up.

gently caress dominos.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stinky bum bum
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/20...ltural-reasons/

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volcott posted:

Not OSHA, but I had an electricity-related adventure today. A tree fell on some power lines down the road from my place, something something transformer. This resulted in my house getting some spicy watts, a surge then a brownout. Ended up frying my microwave and dishwasher before I had the good sense to turn everything off at the circuit breaker.

This is why you guys should used fused plugs like your superior yet strangely deformed brothers here in Britain.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

How can this be considered even vaguely safe? At the very least you'd be contaminating whatever gets pumped into the trailer next.

"MMmmmmm, this water tastes a bit Keroseny....."

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

drinking water trailers can only ever haul drinking water, and have to be inspected in a whole bunch of other ways. We never hauled drinking water.

Methanol disolves in water, so switching from Methanol to water, 10 liters of methanol disolving into 30,000 liters of water isn't gently caress all, especially only on the first or 10-100 loads of water. Hauling water at -40*c, you have to dump a couple liters of methanol through the pump after loading/unloading to prevent it from freezing solid on the road. the water is all being pumped straight into the ground, well below the water table, so a little methanol does nothing. Methanol is also used as a clay stabilizer for holes with layers of clay below the casing. switching from water to methanol is nothing too, because the methanol naturally has trace amounts of water anyways.

Our biggest problems came from switching from water to kerosene in -25*c. Everything freezes from the outside in, so you naturally have a layer of ice sticking to the inside surface of the tank. Then you load 0*C kerosene, it melts the ice, turns it to water which is heavier and settles at the bottom of the tank where your pick-ups and drains are, and refreezes, so you're hauling kerosene which doesn't freeze until -40, and you can't unload at all because there are ice blocks in your plumbing from ice that formed hauling water.

We also hauled KCL, which is basically potash fertilizer, which did cause enough problems with a water requirement that when switching you need to drain, take on another 1000 liters of water, drive around to mix it and drain again. Switching from kerosene back to water the tank had to be cleaned and steamed out, which took about an hour per tank. I have some fun stories with all of this poo poo i can type out of people give a poo poo.

I'd be interested....I am assuming you live in....Canada? I liked watching Ice Road Truckers so I imagine you were one of the characters in that.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeah I didn't think Ice Road truckers was realistic at all, but it's great for people like me that live in rainy little England.

That looks like my dream job tbh....loads of open space, time to yourself, cold weather....does it pay well?

Maybe make a "trucking" thread or something?

e: THe gently caress do you do if you break down out there? Whats the farthest you can be from another human being doing that job?

spud fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:gary: Thanks man!

BattleMaster posted:

British soldiers had this problem in WW2 North Africa with fuel cans being reused to haul water. They just manned up and made tea with the water to mask the taste :colbert:

Yep, and this is why, thanks to my grandad, I have one leg a foot shorter than the other.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does your truck have like a bed and a microwave in it? And a kettle? That is poo poo is cool as gently caress, it's like having a little apartment that can tow stuff.

spud fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 5, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

loving hell, your houses are made of literal paper.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Look at how close the other houses were though.

And yeah, our new builds are loving terrible, so I give you that.

I guess what I am shocked at is the spread of the explosion.

edit: You got an entire family or more living in each one of these:

spud fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 28, 2016

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those of you who think Football (soccer) is a game for wimps better check this out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-37571814

This hero severed his finger after trying to catch a football. It is DANGEROUS as gently caress!

THat's why I don't do sports.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dienes posted:

You really do.

That dog looks very unwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN