Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
no it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Hey. What happens when you freeze gasoline and light on fire inside of your house?

https://youtu.be/TNjOaAIz_ZY

He nearly sets his house on fire.

This guy's channel is a treasure trove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hO0Nnn8Jw

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

MF_James posted:

That guy should not be allowed to carry firearms or even be around firearms, jesus christ.

Outside YouTube, Grant is an airline pilot and has built a real estate business.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

MausoleumExtremist posted:

All the firefighters' gear got covered in human grease

This needs to be part of a public health campaign.

MF_James posted:

v--- my father was a commercial airline pilot and was not retarded with guns (he grew up on a farm) and is the reason I am not retarded with guns.

My point was more "imagine entrusting the lives of hundreds of people to this man on a regular basis".

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 2, 2017

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Is noted Youtube reckless endangerment charge waiting to happen King of Random getting booked on felony explosives charges for filming himself setting off some kind of incendiary powder in his backyard and then having to call the fire department when the inevitable happened OSHA?

Yes, and also it made my day.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The accidental death that stuck in my brain was the teenager whose family let him sleep in while they went to church.

He woke up and made himself pancakes from expired mix hosting a mold that caused a fatal anaphylactic reaction.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Wasn’t there a short lived TV series about a nuclear train?

Supertrain. It was a clusterfuck.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

ATP_Power posted:

Yeah, even shallow, open water recreational diving has a lot of hazards that are invisible to the untrained, any penetration dive has all those risks, coupled with a ton more new hazards - and that's when nothing goes wrong. Add to that the risks and challenges of deep water diving on compressed air, and you've got a situation that can kill even highly experienced divers. On air, at those depths, you have to drop down multiple secondary 'stage bottles' of air, and you still only have about 20 minutes of bottom time on the air in your tanks, those stage bottles are for the hours of decompression you have to do going back to the surface to avoid getting the bends. Additionally, while you're down there, you're also dealing with nitrogen narcosis loving up your perceptions and judgement, in addition to entanglement hazards, and an errant flipper kick could stir up muck that reduces your visibility to zero. The Shadow Divers expedition claimed the lives of two highly experienced cave divers.

From that Bushman’s Hole article:

quote:

It's not an easy thing to watch a person die, especially if that person is a friend. Less than an hour after the helmet cam was removed from Shaw's head, as Hiles made a copy of the video for the police at the top of the crater, Herbst watched the film of Shaw's last dive. Later, he and Shirley (who calls it "a snuff tape") examined it frame by frame, backward and forward, multiple times, to try and understand every nuance of Shaw's death.

The picture is dark, and sometimes hard to see. But along with the sounds of Shaw's breathing, picked up with perfect clarity by the camera in the stillness of the cave, the video tells the tale of Shaw's final moments. When Shaw reaches the body of Deon Dreyer, he is 12 minutes and 22 seconds into the dive, and he's been on the bottom for just over a minute. He pulls the body bag out and starts to try and work it over Deon's legs. As he does, a cloud of silt obscures the picture. When it clears, Deon's body, its head having fallen off, is floating in front of Shaw.

This was totally unexpected. Deon, as it turned out, was not completely skeletal, and he was no longer stuck in the silt. Instead of decomposing, his corpse had mummified into a soaplike composition that gave it mass and neutral buoyancy. And for some reason—no one has an explanation—the body had become unstuck from the mud as soon as Shaw started working on it. "The fact that the body was now loose, and not pinned to the ground, was not one of the scenarios that we had thought about," Shirley sighs. "The body was not meant to be floating." It's a lot easier to slip a bag over an immobile body than a body floating and rolling in front of you at 886 feet.

Shaw starts fumbling and, for the first time, lets out an audible grunt of effort.
Herbst, listening intently through headphones, heard the steadily increasing distress in Shaw's breathing and knew there was trouble coming. "Breathe slower, man, breathe slower," he urged out loud. Watching the video with a clear head, it is hard not to wonder why Shaw didn't just turn around right then and abandon the dive. In October, he had turned for the surface as soon as his breathing rate increased. Now he was panting, and Deon, who was attached to the cave line, was floating free. The body could have been pulled up. "All the options involved putting the bag on," Shirley explains. "He's sticking with his plan. Which is what you've got to do." Still, when Shirley first saw the video, he couldn't stop himself from pleading, "Leave it, leave it, leave the body now. It's loose and can come up."

Shaw, however, is responding only to the pounding of his narcosis and his determination to finish the job. He keeps working to control the body, letting go of his cave light so he can use both hands. Deon is rolling and turning in front of him, resisting Shaw's efforts to get him into the bag. Shaw has been at it for two minutes, and the cave line is seemingly everywhere. It snags on his cave light, and Shaw pauses to clear it.
At this, Shirley and Herbst bridled. A cave diver should never let gear float loose. "It's a recipe for disaster," says Shirley, who will always regret not being present when Shaw told Hiles he would put the light to the side at times. "Do not do that," he would have warned him.

Now Shaw is acting confused. He is working at the torso, instead of the feet. His movements have lost purpose. After more than two and a half minutes of work—and three minutes and 49 seconds on the bottom—Shaw pulls his shears out, fumbling to open them. The plan was for him to cut the dive tanks away as he rolled the bag over Deon. Shaw's breathing rate continues to increase. Suddenly he loses his footing on the sloping bottom. He scrambles back to the body in a cloud of silt. The grunts of effort, hateful little bursts of sound, are painfully frequent.

Shirley and Herbst guess that Shaw's narcosis was then closer to six or seven martinis. "You focus on the one thing. You don't focus on the dive anymore," Herbst says. "The one thing becomes everything. And I think with Dave it became the body, the body, the body."

Still, Shaw keeps checking the time on his dive computer. After five and a half minutes on the bottom, he's aware enough to know he has to leave, but he doesn't get far. The video shows the bottom moving beneath him. Then Shaw's forward progress stops. His errant cave light has apparently snagged the cave line tied to Deon's tanks. Shaw knows he has caught something and turns awkwardly. His breathing starts to sound desperate. He pulls at the cat's cradle of cave line, as if trying to sort it out. Every breath is now a sharp grunt. Shaw struggles to move forward again but is anchored by the weight of Deon's body. The shears are still in his hand, but he never cuts anything. The pace of his breathing keeps accelerating, and there is a tragic, gasping quality to it, so painful to listen to that Herbst and Shirley will no longer watch the video with sound.
Twenty-one minutes into the dive, the sounds finally start to fade. Dave Shaw, with carbon dioxide suffusing his lungs, is starting to pass out. He is dying. It's heartbreaking to watch. A minute later there is no movement.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

One of my grade-school science teachers had a chunk of asbestos ore on his shelf as a paperweight.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

How much of a savings are we talking?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Chase ended by crashing into an elementary school.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

not as good as the local grocery store that collapsed because they forgot to factor in the weight of vehicles in the roof parking lot design imho

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I think you’re talking about the Station Square collapse, but the Algo Centre Mall collapse isn’t that far off.

Canada sure knows how to build ’em. :thumbsup:

The former, yeah. The actual cause was a bit more complex, of course.

quote:

At 9AM on the morning of April 23, 1988, customers were let into the store as part of a grand opening sale for senior citizens. Within 10 minutes an employee noticed water spraying from an overhead pipe that had burst. It was buckling under pressure from a roof beam that was twisting out of shape above a steel column. The 4.5 minute-long structural failure was heard and witnessed by many of the store occupants, including several who took photographs of the twisting and crushed beam. Evacuation alerts were issued through the public address system and the store was emptied in less than 5 minutes. The mayor of Burnaby, Bill Copeland, who presided over the opening ceremonies, assisted in directing the evacuation of approximately 600 customers and 307 employees.[2]

Four structural bays of the roof, measuring 27 by 23 meters (87 by 75 feet), collapsed into the produce section. One store employee was trapped under the debris and was removed by first responders using forklifts; he suffered a crushed pelvis. Several people were blown off their feet by the rushing air from the collapse.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

nealth insurance

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A petite co-worker tried to get a heavy box down from a high shelf, and ended up folded backwards at the waist.

Spinal surgery.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

:nfpa:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45503501

*gets swarmed by wasps*

*falls out of treehouse*

*lands on meat skewer*

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

kamikazekamera

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Another fatal nuclear accident, smdh.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Judging by the photo of the tech I’m guessing she fat-fingered the button.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Bridge collapses hours after opening.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

That has to be deliberate, right?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

My lower back problems were cured by half an hour of reading.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The fire crew in that very picture posted this on their own Facebook as a joke :ssh:

Not this derail again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Medieval reenactor falls on own sword spear.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I take it he’s wearing a safety harness, because there’s no way he caught that rope.

OSHA-approved.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

spiny posted:

Well, I guess I was on the safer side at the time ...

Did you, like, report it to a fire marshal?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1105128898134769664

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://imgur.com/gallery/9r3DHLD

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I would guess selective breeding played a significant role there.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Hey now -- let's be realistic. The organism most commonly implicated in cruise ship gastrointestinal outbreaks, norovirus, can survive on hard surfaces for weeks, is transmissible by aerosol, and is so contagious that as few as three individual viral particles can start an infection. You absolutely don't have to be making GBS threads on your hands to transmit it. Just walking through a bathroom where someone was making GBS threads or puking explosively in one stall is enough to get you. In one case, a woman threw up at a table in the corner of a restaurant and within three days 52 other people who were in the dining room at the time had also contracted the illness.

It is truly a miracle of efficiency

So what check keeps it from spreading uncontrollably?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

all that matters is that you tried your best

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Strictly speaking, any aircraft will have parts come off if you fly it wrong enough.

otoh sometimes you dazedly barrel-roll a cargo plane and live

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1110918746116218881

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

This happened to a friend. 30 years old and he developed a loving peanut/general nut allergy, has to be insanely careful now.

cuz i bust everywhere

seriously though its insane that it can happen so late in life

My allergist told me it’s pretty common for food allergies to pop up or get worse at 30 or 50 because of hormonal changes. I discovered this the hard way.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Blindeye posted:

penetrating lubricant.

the horniest page in the thread

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 15, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/NLG7l8k

Is there a way to get imgur gallery links to embed properly?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Workplace accident claims life at Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club

I mean… how? The only thing that I can think of is electrocution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

Workplace accident claims life at Vancouver Lawn Tennis and Badminton Club

I mean… how? The only thing that I can think of is electrocution.

WorkSafeBC posted:

Injury: Fatal (1 worker)
Industry: Tourism & Hospitality - All, Tourism & Hospitality - Leisure Services
Core Activity: Sports and entertainment facility
Date of Incident: 2019-Apr

A worker was standing in the basket of a vertical mast lift at a height of 29 feet. Four workers below were trying to move the mast lift. The lift tipped onto its side and the basket struck the ground, ejecting the worker. The worker sustained fatal injuries.