Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fallows posted:

Why did he tie the top part of the tree to the bottom?
Sorry, last page but since this wasn't answered - the groundman hosed up. The rope is a set of blocks, and the groundman was supposed to let the top fall and slowly arrest it on its way to the ground in a controlled manner. Instead, he held the rope fast and the man standing 80' up paid for it.

In the video you can hear the groundman yell "SORRY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A Man With A Plan posted:

i just want to know what his exit plan is

https://youtu.be/RB47zyZlHP0

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry in advance for the Snapchat caption, this was the only picture I took.

Only one guy in this crew of (painters or roofers, I don't recall) would scale this bad idea in action. As bad as it looks set up - them leaning the ladder over, standing on the edge of the carport roof, was extremely sketchy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

He's saying it's not an accurate test because the suspension of the hardhat is not seated like it would be on a human head.

It's probably a demonstration to encourage employees to wear PPE, and for that purpose it's plenty sufficient IMO.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

You want to ground equipment so if there's a short/failure, the electricity has a safe pathway out of the equipment, rather than say shocking an operator or energizing the cabinet.

I've posted about this ad nauseum in the diy forum, but this is a common misconception caused by poor terminology. The ground wire (ECG) that runs along with circuits in a building is a low impedance path back to the source (which is the point where it bonds with the neutral conductor, at the first means of disconnect). It exists to make the fault protection operate as quickly as possible and is never supposed to have current on it unless there is a fault. It does not mean that any person is completely safe in any situation, in the event of a fault.

If everything is sized correctly, the fault current and voltage rise on the ground conductor will be limited as much as possible, but electricity takes all paths.

The ground rod that is bonded to the ECG near the service entrance is for lightning protection.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Splode posted:

In osha news my colleague was telling me about capacitors with such low leakage and high capacity that they can kill you without ever being deliberately charged. They charge themselves via static electricity and then kill you when you get them out of storage, never used. poo poo is nuts.

Ya, that's true of capacitors used on utility power lines. They have a built in shunt that's supposed to discharge them to "less than x volts in y minutes" but nobody trusts that and company rules usually provide that they be externally shorted to prevent a buildup of capacitance charge (edit - while in storage).

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 27, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

As someone who doesn't know anything about electricity, how are those not a source of free electricity?

As with most things that are free, it doesn't do much work.

Cheap, efficient, works well. Pick any 2. This applies to tools, cars, people, energy storage, economic systems...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mattfl posted:

Friend posted this on his Facebook

I’m not even sure wtf he is doing lol

It looks like a limb has fallen through and broken several of the service wires, so he's working on that for sure.

I can't tell what he's got in his hand there.... If it was a saw I'd say he's cutting the limb cause I think that's the first thing that needs to happen but it doesn't really look like a saw.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iospace posted:

For bit more on-topic bit, if the electrical system of a F1 car goes haywire, the driver has to get out, not touch the ground, and jump off the car so he doesn't accidentally put himself between the now electrical hot car (as it is carbon fiber and does conduct) and the ground. Happened in Mexico a couple seasons ago to Nico Hulkenberg.

Being that the car's electrical system does not have any potential relative to the Earth, it seems like the bigger hazard is trying to move around and jump out without contacting two parts of the vehicle that are now unintentionally at a different potential because of the failure.

If the car was on fire, of course you gotta get the hell out but if it was just throwing some kind of electrical failure warning I'd think you should wait for the safety crew to throw the external switch before moving.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

wow good thing he kept that grip!!!

It was dumb luck, but his hanging on is probably what steered it into the curb and looks like avoided any property damage

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How come the people who tear down block/brick structures with sledgehammers never get together with the people who make bad decisions with explosives and/or heavy equipment?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

starkebn posted:

Imgur is bringing all the hits today

https://i.imgur.com/JKwyt4U.mp4

Can't put it out yet

Can't put it out yet

Can't put it out yet

NOW you can put it out.... Where you gone?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's loving criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

corgski posted:

That is definitely the "instantaneously vaporized" sort of arc flash, yes.

It really depends on how long he was exposed, and how well his PPE protected him. If the explosion was was at chest level or above (or not located in the panel closest to him), he probably had a pretty decent shot at minor to no burns, assuming he moved away immediately. He was in the open, not an enclosed space, and appeared to have everything covered... Hopefully with material that was FR and did not continue the burn after the accident.

Worst case would be a close explosion that was below chest level, because as the heat rolls up it would get behind the face shield, or an untucked shirt.

This poo poo right here is why I harp on equipment grounding and fault protection in the wiring thread. There is a stupid amount of fault current potential at the utility level, even at residential voltage in many situations. You want that mess to be outside and enclosed, with anything coming inside protected to limit the fault potential.