Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nobody designs a worse rotary wing aircraft than the us forest service.

https://youtu.be/_7jENWKgMPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2016/09/11/0911-trinity-college-house-deck-collapse.html

Three stories of decking pancaking on atop another is bad but I want to hear more about this 30' beer column, that should be putting out what about 15 psi at the bottom? Sounds like a bad time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

But did he pay the toll

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

An art installation metaphoric of Syria?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rated break strength on that strapping is 500-800 lbs depending on thickness, it's fine.

E: lol nope extrapolating from the 21x10 stack on the lower rack, 210 dry 8' 2x4s ~2300lb.

Why would they even accept delivery of that, safety aside they're gonna have to pay somebody to stack it right as soon as it's open.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 3, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spiteski posted:

But knowing how often those strap joins where it's melted together just comes apart I would be steering loving clear of that load until it gets some steel strapping

Oh poo poo they heat-fuse the green stuff? Everyplace I've ever used that kind of strapping put crimp bands on it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sorry Minnesota sucks at signage apparently

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't think that's how you're supposed to tie off

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I don't think this is supposed to happen to the ladle at the steel mill.
https://youtu.be/-RYCXDUt2m8

Or this. Bouncing the lid off the EAF is pretty impressive.
https://youtu.be/zTKodUpErR8

Bonus: 80MW, 80,000A arc furnace in Russia
https://youtu.be/SSmJtDdkfXA

When does Volcano Simulator 2017 hit Steam, I'm sold

E:  Сука Блять https://youtu.be/w0Zp3GGLZgM

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 12, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RTLS Abort is osha as gently caress

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-phase that was what I thought too after two days of intermittently plugging it in and troubleshooting the hoist. But no, the busbar fuses never blew and I kept unplugging it, looking for switches or wires rubbing inside the panels, nothing. Then I walked away to look for a mechanical drawing, believing I had ruled out any possibility of an electrical problem and returned to a wide eyed engineer asking "is this nut supposed to be smoking? Have you guys been welding over here?"

Not on purpose bro.

E: and yes, the ground teminal on that plug is painted bright green on the back how the gently caress did someone gently caress that up

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 16, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Same guy wired that outlet at the same time so I'm not taking any chances until I and someone I trust look at it, I'm a controls guy. Pretty sure our system is delta though, haven't seen anything but 3 + earth in any of the cabinets I've worked in.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NEMA... 14-30? It's a three phase twist-lock that's all over the place in industry. For more really useful but never-seen outside factory automation connectors check out M8 and M12 sensor cable terminations. Especially the 8-conductor M8s with screw terminals oh my god they're like fine jewelry

E: L16-30

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 16, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harting is another whole can of plug & socket spergery I never could've imagined until I was up to my armpits in it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Resolution: he gone. I was a little sympathetic due to multiple machine moves happening simultaneously but EHS justifiably gave no fucks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

48'

e: oh ffs really

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Just a small palette cleanser of sorts (nobody gets hurt but still impressive):

Equipment upgrade time-lapse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4dFcOTxVKU

I've spent most of this week shuffling 15 ton centerless grinders, trigger warning this plz

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reminds me, I found a nominally 230v euro socket on the side of a 30 year old piece of equipment putting out 43 VAC yesterday. :iiam:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If your boat in the arctic is vulnerable to polar bears you have bigger problems anyway

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So the mechanism of action and results of radiation embrittlement is the same as work hardening basically?

I want an atomic shot peening rig.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deference to incompetence kills no matter where it happens.

http://sbfpd.org/uploads/3/0/9/6/3096011/darker_shades_of_blue.pdf

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We had a non-drill fire alarm at my plant a few days ago that turned out to be someone crashing a forklift into an alarm box. I and the plant manager were the only people who left the building out of 300+ on shift.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hmm yes the fire suppression at what I know to be an enormous transformer has activated. Let me move closer to the window.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fuckingtest posted:

Yes, the forklift couldn't do much except raise the end of the forklift enough to place the dollies. Then they lowered it on the dollies and according to a buddy of mine, they used the forklift to push/slide the thing with four dudes on the sides attempting to keep it from rolling to the left or right. Then the dollies on the front wheels disintegrated and people ran in all directions because no one want to lose a foot to an idiot's dumb idea to move a 6,000 LB piece of heavy machinery with furniture movers tools.

EDIT: They tried to kill me with a FORKLIFT!

The first sign that the owner at a small company I used to work for was fading into dementia was the time he bought a forklift with no motor and a locked differential and had it delivered onto the only path from our assembly shop to the loading dock.

After a week or so I figured out how to move it by myself with a floor jack, two pallet trucks and a stack of 2x4s. It's me. The OSHA is coming from inside the thread.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Regarding lifeboat chat, come to the merchant marine thread in ask tell. There are horror stories.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you wanna experience the CO2 detector reflex for yourself just hold your breath until you can't

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"tumblr hype posted:

Synthetic rope doesn't really do that.

Here's a half hour of naval officers with hypnotic moustaches and missing limbs OSHAing about how wrong you are.

https://youtu.be/LGH_GUbdTeQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tater_salad posted:

There is a town in Ohio where the speed limit its 25 it is so hard not to speed on that road. School limit is 20. There are 3 schools on that road. The school limit is turned on even during Christmas break.

I swear that it is set like that to print money.

I can show you several in NC where it's a flat, straight, wide enough for five lanes US highway through a completely dead village where every single commercial building along the road has been boarded up since the 70s and the posted limit is 20MPH.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

My car's GPS/SATNAV allows you to draw a box and label that as a "never navigate though area". I only have one set up and it's a small box covering Linndale. Specifically the underpass where they have tons of cameras. Linndale can go STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Breaker chat: Little molded-case breakers like that have a trip-free feature where they will open no matter then handle's position.

The big medium-voltage switchgear breakers are fun (say 4160 to 35000 volts at up to around 2000 amps). Those breakers have a close (turn on) and a trip (turn off) solenoid. The problem is that if you lose trip circuit power you can get into a situation where you cannot trip the breaker off if there's a fault somewhere.

There are some new designs with a capacitor to store power in the trip circuit and if control power is lost that causes the breaker to automatically trip open. But the problem is there are cases where a trip could be way more problematic than a breaker being stuck on.

Sounds like a job for BATTLE SHORT

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

You ever notice how white people keep breakers open like this? "Junior, please hand me that piece of copper wiring."

I ran into the opposite of this on discovering the previous owner of my truck replaced the fusible link for the glow plugs with one strand from a piece of cat5.

E: That pos dump truck shouldn't have been on the road if it's that easy to tear the bed off. Bridge did us all a favor.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 30, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's this. Your clients can be whatever but still lol windows xp I say as I look at my large number of HMIs still running xp. At least in the industrial space it's a very bad idea cause things are increasingly networked in the modern factory so the isolated control networks are being opened up more than ever before.

Though XP is indeed lovely it's probably fine assuming everyone does exactly what they are supposed to and no one does something insanely stupid. I can guarantee there is a way to get external data into these machines with a little ingenuity and physical access since they are all on a network of some variety even if it is isolated.

We got a 3 million dollar lathe that was built LAST YEAR that came with XP on the pendant and while not networked, it's plenty exposed to USB STDs every time a new part program comes along.

autorun.inf will destroy america, mark my words.

I think the eventual solution is going to have to be special hardware that can only mount signed media

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 4, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wonder how long it takes them to learn the right feed direction

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Archaic posted:

Who here loves cable management?

Older discussion, but I just want to point out that this isn't a network closet. The orange and green cables are for Siemens servo drives, one is power and the other control data. The purple ones are RS-485 Profibus data bus cables, and this is the nerve center of an unspeakably complex robot.

Each pair of Orange & Green cable represents one motion axis.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Green and orange have custom cannon plugs that I would call overengineered except they actually do have to be that good to survive the environments they wind up in. Like, getting sprayed with 150psi cutting oil and lathe chips inside the business end of a swiss lathe 24/7 for years. The purple cables will have a DB9 tee on the end at a 45° angle ao they can fit onto a panel and still be piggybacked to each other. Internally, purple is a single shielded twisted pair of 16ga super-fine stranded.

Green carries the 24v encoder signals from the servo back to the drive controller, orange is 600VDC PWM to the servo.

E: that is easily $3M worth of gear just visible in that photo nevermind the actual servomotors

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 5, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Depends how old the trash is and how much organic matter is in it, even with a big air pocket I would expect swamp gas to push all the oxygen out fairly quickly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I was expecting "god's punishment for voting Killary" but still appropriate:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yes no loving poo poo. Airplane pilots have been aware of this for a hundred years and every barometric altimeter includes a calibration wheel that the pilot uses to dial in the instrument so that the indicated pressure altitude is a reasonable representation of the true altitude above sea level. The pressure changes, but slowly enough that the barometric altimeter remains a useful instrument that usually only needs to be calibrated once at the beginning of the flight.

Flying above FL180 with an altimeter accurate to mean sea level is OSHA as gently caress.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 17, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PHL feels the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

And the red sea parted