Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Parallax Scroll posted:

its a fire truck

Interestingly, the word for "truck" in Chinese is basically just car. The literal translation for "fire" and "car" gets you the Chinese word for "train". That's a train, that's why they had to let it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mithaldu posted:

Pretty sure those guys know how to use it and play it up for the yucks by using it entirely wrong.
Why the hell would anyone bother spending so much effort on something so boring and obvious? Edit: Oh right, idiots who think jump scares are worthwhile to anyone.

Oh hey, here's the original, that's actually kinda worth watching, even though it's still 90% fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBscQZkOzdo

Blue handle on the grenade, I knew it was a dummy the moment I saw it. Also figured they used tannerite in the explosion. Always wanted to play with "reactive" targets myself.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I'm the cock clock.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leaves out the fun part where there's a woman's car parked on the side (all that mess on the road is from her car hitting that log) and the fact that when that truck comes around, she's right outside the driver's door of the parked truck. Thankfully, she managed to get away unscathed.

From the Dashcam thread in AI:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Grey Fox posted:

It looks like there's enough space on either side, so this is a special kind of stupid.

That pallet is half-rotted, too. Good job, Klaus.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Three-Phase posted:

So does anyone remember that guy who showed us the ultra-dangerous coffee cup heater? Then the ultra-dangerous bath water heater?

Yeah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASnLL6ebaco

He was questioning the use of two different metals for the electrodes, and I believe the reason for this is to create that oxidization effect you see in the two glasses of water. Basically, using the dissimilar metals on those poles, in any kind of un-pure water would cause rapid oxidization of the iron/steel based rod, which is why he mentioned distilled water. So, to make a glass appear clear, you either have to somehow disable one set of electrodes or use purified water. Though I could be wrong, it's been ages since I took materials class and why metals rust.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

chitoryu12 posted:

Currently in a meeting related to figuring out certification for trolley boom mobile cranes used in precast concrete lifting. I just found out that the ASME B30.5 standard for safe crane operation will be changes to remove any need for load charts to explain exactly what criteria they were determined by. The load charts will be just "This is your capacity at this boom length and angle. Don't exceed it."

Why? Because so many operators look at a load chart that says it's based on 85% of the maximum and go "Huh, I can exceed the chart by 15% and still be okay!" And then they tip over.

It actually does seem stupid to provide operators with factor-of-safety margins, because they think it means it's safe to exceed that. On aircraft designs, for example, the "neutral point" of aerodynamic stability is a very important and key piece of information which gets loving buried to prevent dumb-asses from trying to be Chuck Yeager or Bob Hoover in a plane not designed for it, then getting themselves into an irrecoverable attitude because they hosed up the CoG loading and the aircraft is completely unstable now.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

No its not a dumb idea and the fact that you think the people lifting the load and standinh near it shouldn't know the capacity of everything they have is one of the stupidest things I've seen. Cause when poo poo does go wrong, it's the operator who was operating and it's his rear end and he better know his limits for straps and the crane. That's why you need thousands of hours to be a large crane operator.

Look, I get you're a yard jockey and might not understand this, so let me explain.

When I design and build a crane, I tell you the maximum load capacity is a certain number, let's say 10,000 lbs. Now, I don't know what the actual industry standard FOS is, so I'm going to use chitoryu's 85% number. This means that with load limit of 10,000 lbs., the failure point is about 11,750 lbs. Failure point doesn't mean "oh, maybe if I load 11,800 I'll be okay." Failure point means if you load 11,751 lbs, poo poo will go south in a loving hurry. Factor of Safety is the ratio between the absolute failure point and where the manufacturer says "DO NOT EXCEED". So, limiting to 85% capacity is a FOS of roughly 1.175. Which is loving narrow in my opinion. In order to certify an aircraft you have to exceed a FOS of 1.5. Most buildings have a FOS between 3 and 9.

So what's my beef? If the manufacturer prints in it's documents "Load Capacity 10,000 lbs. Failure Point 11,750 lbs." some moron(s) are going to get as close to that 11,750 number as they can, and pray the devil doesn't come knocking. If a manufacturer prints "Load Capacity 10,000 lbs. DO NOT EXCEED." with no notice about what the failure point is, the hope would be that the crane operators would be smart enough to heed that warning rather than trying to blindly find where that failure point is because they "think" it's somewhere around 12,000 lbs.

Also, thousands of hours is great and all, but someone who has been routinely exceeding load limits without incident is only going to get complacent. I don't care if you're open shop or union shop, this poo poo happens to the best most experienced people as well. They think to themselves, "well, I've done it before and nothing happened, I can do it again, just this once." And it's that attitude that leads to half the incidents in this thread.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The tires hooked up. If you watch the slow mo part, you can see the exact moment when the tires gripped and the wheel sheered the bolts off. When you're running a poo poo ton of power in a dragster, you don't want the tires to hook up. It's almost backwards, as at lower powers you generally want grippy tires that will help you get a lot of power down on the road. But higher-powered cars actually want their tires to be constantly slipping, even just a little bit, otherwise you'll grenade the gear box or something else important (like shearing the bolts off your wheel.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZf9tXGPJNA

Not the best video to show it off, but if you trawl YouTube for some slo-mo videos of Top Fuel and Funny Car launches you'll see what I mean. It's also why the cars can sometimes get squirrelly going in a straight line - one tire is slipping slightly less than the other.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Apparently my sister-in-law, who works retail, may have broken a toe after having some improperly stacked pallets fall on her foot. Naturally her manager tells her that this is not the store's fault.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is this OSHA? Lady with two kids and no flame shield seems a bit OSHA (even if it is a photoshop).

https://www.amazon.com/FireHotTub-Y...fi+fire+hot+tub

Also, check out the top review.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably not, after all the things that eat mosquitoes, mosquito eggs and mosquito larvae die out as a result, then all the things that eat them, then all the things that eat them etc.

Bats are cool and interesting animals. Dragonflies are neat. Mosquito-killers are a bit scary looking, but I'm cool with them.

Also, wasp-killers are a thing. Cicada-killer wasps look like wasps from the Devil's rear end in a top hat, but are apparently very chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

staplegun posted:

This was one of the recommended links while I was watching some of those exploding tire videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA

drat, now i wanna see more out of control truck tires just rolling over/through everything.

I'm curious how far that tractor tire would've gone if it didn't completely demolish the ramp.