Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm the drunk guy bouncing excitedly as the roof collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

lol if this isn't your automatic reaction to watching a sickass tragedy unfold

I like to think the dude who walks out of frame right as the collapse starts just kept on walking. He seems like he's got important stuff on his mind.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess this fits here. On of our site managers saw a mysterious door that had a safety barrier on the floor in front of it, caution tape at chest level, and multiple signs saying "DO NOT OPEN".

He opened the door.

Turns out the room was being renovated and scaffolding had been placed in front of the Forbidden Door. The scaffold went down and I don't know what other damage happened, but there were no casualties aside from the site manager getting his head put on a pike as he got shitcanned like five minutes after the incident.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

WTF did he think he was in Bluebeard's castle? Why would you open a door taped over and labeled "DO NOT OPEN"?

ETA: Bluebeard, not Blackbeard. :doh:

I honestly have no idea. No one had a chance to ask because he got whisked out of the building so fast, they might as well have used a CIA wetwork team to disappear him to a black site.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nude posted:

Reminds me of the real life Silent Hill. Central Pennsylvania was a mining town, and on May 27, 1962 an underground fire started. It's still burning till this day.

Even has a church!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnm8O1I9XGY.

Coal seam fires can last a long time. :stare:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

A man about to be impaled on some re-bar? Yep!

Proof that sometimes for those butt x-rays "I fell on it" is in fact the truth

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

I'm kind of wondering what the aftermath of this looked like.

That's a pretty cool sweatshirt, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gently caress that gif for cutting before the money shot.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Did anyone manage to eject? Not that they'd probably fair any better if captured on the ground.

Most helicopters don't have ejection seats, as far as I know.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Weembles posted:

There was a less fatal, but still pretty OSHA version of that in the US, called the Cornfield Bomber.

The pilot ejected from an out of control jet, which then righted itself and flew on without him until it ran out of fuel and landed in a field.

Best thing about the Cornfield Bomber is that the Air Force put it in their museum so you can go check that sumbitch out for free anytime.

EDIT: Or maybe that it was in such good condition, they put it back into service for a while.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like your posts int this thread because I mentally swap the pic and your av so it looks in my head like the lady is just squinting critically at whatever your post is.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

only when pukin in the shower

That would have been handy in March when i had a stomach bug.

Instead, because of poor architecture I had to get out of the shower and squat, naked and shivering as I barfed up cheerios because the motion of washing my hair finally triggered the nausea that had been haunting my all that day.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

They keep handing it off to the next employee who has all his fingers.

*Shipyard Foreman holds up a megaphone to address the new workers being off-loaded* "The one with tool cuts! The one without follows! When the one with the tool gets killed, the one without PICKS UP THE TOOL!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what province still has such stone-age looking license plates?

I decided to look up Canadian plates because i have no better way to spend my time and holy poo poo, Nunavut:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Hey, where should we put Tim's new nonsensical clip art safety poster?"

"Let's put it right here where it covers the fire extinguisher sign that's not pointing to the fire extinguisher."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Powershift posted:

Whenever you see one of those, google it, just UN####

some results make you really not wanna share that chunk of highway with them.

Holy LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_UN_numbers

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm king in here! *Dies*

You will take NOTHING from me, foreman. I laid low your utility workers of old. I instilled terror in the hearts of men. I AM KING UNDER THE EXCAVATOR!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have trouble with their word choice. "Refused." If a dude is on fire from electricity, I'm likely to also become on fire if I try to help as an untrained passerby.

But I like their word choice for "shocking"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Their family can (wrongful death), and the guv'ment probably will want to have a word as well

Not if you live in a state with Castle Doctrine :smug:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

spog posted:

but they are happy to use the phrase 'sulphuric acid alkylation unit where isobutanes and olefins are converted'

Uh, it's the Chemical Safety Board, not the Gearbox Safety Board, duh.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The operator has been encouraged to take more risks because he has TWO tethers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Memento posted:

This is unfortunately an entirely standard haul truck/LV interaction.

This is the field of view around a typical haul truck. Don't be in the grey areas because they cannot see you.

I'm the block that goes from 10 feet or so out to the bumper.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mods, change my name to Rod McCracken.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Why does the guy on the right wearing red disappear, it seems the truck crossed the line twice in two different takes and it was badly spliced together?

Or maybe a few frames missing?

Why is she not surprised before the cut then surprised after?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

See, I would think the point of worry would be "Oh poo poo, a big rear end truck is barreling through the bicycle race course immediately behind a group of racers" and not "Oh no, the inflatable!"

Then again, I'm not Australian and have trouble fathoming the antipodean mind.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

jamal posted:

Have it on my kindle somewhere but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

PBS made a good documentary, looks like you have to pay to watch it right now though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Sg0NTEivE

It's on Netflix, if anyone wants to watch it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bumming your scene posted:

"I'd like to learn how to drive without crying." - Emotional Ashley, 7:00

Five minutes in:

Driver: "Oh my god, what if we die?!"
Cool Granny Baba G: "Well, there's a cemetery right there."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

How does this person think late abortions are performed

With the tools labelled 'LATE TERM ABORTION", obviously :rolleyes:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Drugs, I'm guessing?

No, those are power lines.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

At 174 feet with no arching to transfer the load to the end points, I am in no way surprised it collapsed. Even with an arch I would expect a central pylon over that length. A cable-stayed bridge of this size is not "to look pretty". Those cables are an integral part of supporting a span like this. The tower should have been the first element erected, and then cabling attached as the span is moved into place for this type of bridge.

I mean, it's been decades since I've taken Statics, but this much I remember.

I feel like I learned this from Bridge Constructor Portal.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"How many black electricians you know?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I like the chick at the other end of the car, hauling the dude back to his seat as he's trying to get up and look too

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I can't imagine what frequent tailhook decelerations would do to the cargo.

Well, the cargo would only have to do an arrested landing once. Because then it's delivered.

I think arrested landings are also why passenger seats on COD planes are facing rearward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRPvQtkdxE

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Edit2: Also the cushioning ejected from the seat seems to suggest the rebar penetrated from behind.

P sure that's not cushion material but scraps of the driver's shirt, pants, flesh or all of the above

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Trabant posted:

No, I think you're right on all of the above. I don't know if the lever action would be strong enough to fling him in case of a catch, but it would sure leave a nice impression as the handle wallops him. There are so many things that look incredibly dangerous there that I don't even know what to look at anymore. I'm imagining the bolts letting go and then the massive goddamn tree just steamrolls anyone nearby.

In unrelated gifs, this turbo sucking in an air rag was posted on Jalopnik:

followed by this in the comments:

The guy survived with minor injuries, apparently. RIP the turbo and valves though.

IIRC what saved the guy getting sucked into the A-6 was the fact that his helmet got ripped off and the engine choked on that instead of sailor.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

The day GMaps started routing me down all of my own hard learned cutouts was the I chose to put my unwavering blind faith in the machine.

My day was when Gmaps routed me to the Marathon I usually use when driving to visit my sister and brother-in-law instead of the two I passed on the way to that one even thought I just searched "MARATHON" and clicked the first result.

I let Google navigate for me from now on. Also because it doesn't do that super bitchy "Recalculating" a lot of Garmins do.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vargatron posted:

That's a concussion.

I have a feeling he didn't damage much

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Snake-handling not getting you in touch with THE LORD? Try the Church of Pathogen-handling! Just off of Route 6, behind the Denny's.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

More fire stuff. I just found out about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvaza_gas_crater

I knew about the Centralia mine fire and other coal fires, but it never clicked in my head that other hydrocarbon sites could catch fire and burn forever.*

Australia's got Burning Mountain, a coal seam fire like Centralia that they estimate has been going for 6,000 years.

I think there's one in Germany that's been going since the 1500s or something, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think the funniest part is how the dude humps the last.. Pumpkin? Bowling ball? ... Well, the last round in.