Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

A video of the fire from inside the mall was posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEH9d8HzMBI

An uncropped version was posted on liveleak too: https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=91ozX_1522074255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can have the best building codes in the world, but if your enforcement is weak and inspectors corrupt it's all useless.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Yawgmoth posted:

why does he save the half of the rotted (?) ladder? is he gonna like, brace it against the stove pipe/chimney thing he's perched on and climb the rest of the way to the top?

Mate, that's a third ladder. Not half of a second.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Yawgmoth posted:

why does he save the half of the rotted (?) ladder? is he gonna like, brace it against the stove pipe/chimney thing he's perched on and climb the rest of the way to the top?

I'm not sure if you are joking, but he has to get down from there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RabbitWizard posted:

Down is easy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Mate, that's a third ladder. Not half of a second.
Oh. Oh dear.

RabbitWizard posted:

That's what gravity is for!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You can have the best building codes in the world, but if your enforcement is weak and inspectors corrupt it's all useless.

This poo poo makes me so mad. Even here in the good old US of A I see so many horrible and flagrant fire safety violations. Just left and ignored, mainly because "fires never happen".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Karate Bastard posted:

I thought one should take care to stay clear of the tool in case it snags and kicks up and hits you in the whatever you didn't clear? Also I thought you should keep the tool rest close to the work piece in order to minimize the risk of that happening? Whereas this guy actively leans over the handle of a tool that goes halfway past the rest so if it snags it will probably fling him into an active tornado of maple and tools? Or am I being a wuss?

No, I think you're right on all of the above. I don't know if the lever action would be strong enough to fling him in case of a catch, but it would sure leave a nice impression as the handle wallops him. There are so many things that look incredibly dangerous there that I don't even know what to look at anymore. I'm imagining the bolts letting go and then the massive goddamn tree just steamrolls anyone nearby.

In unrelated gifs, this turbo sucking in an air rag was posted on Jalopnik:

followed by this in the comments:

The guy survived with minor injuries, apparently. RIP the turbo and valves though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Trabant posted:

No, I think you're right on all of the above. I don't know if the lever action would be strong enough to fling him in case of a catch, but it would sure leave a nice impression as the handle wallops him. There are so many things that look incredibly dangerous there that I don't even know what to look at anymore. I'm imagining the bolts letting go and then the massive goddamn tree just steamrolls anyone nearby.

In unrelated gifs, this turbo sucking in an air rag was posted on Jalopnik:

followed by this in the comments:

The guy survived with minor injuries, apparently. RIP the turbo and valves though.

IIRC what saved the guy getting sucked into the A-6 was the fact that his helmet got ripped off and the engine choked on that instead of sailor.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

https://twitter.com/AlexanderWolfe/status/978253615407222784
Remember, Health & Safety rules apply to everyone

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If it fits, it ships

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
As a corollary, if it shipped, it fit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like a keeper.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Panamin

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Herbotron posted:

I ain't afraid of no rolley coaster.

Thank you for the ride.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

ENTERGY GRAPPLES WITH GROUNDWATER INFILTRATION AT VERMONT YANKEE.

Huh, interesting photo. Must be some stock photo that they're trying to make a weird metaphor with-

:stare: Oh.

Grovereactor

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

zedprime posted:

The allowance for free climbing is supposedly backed up by incident reports on file which show injuries happen on a greater frequency when clipping in was required for ladders. It sort of makes sense with the realities of fall protection favoring falling from an overhanging surface like a scaffold or roof overhang, because otherwise conservation of angular momentum means even with an arrester you cartoon swing into a wall.

e. After a fall in a harness if you can't reach something to self rescue you're on a time limit because it turns out restricting arterial flow is unhealthy. There aren't a lot of great options for rescue up an aerial or similar tower.

Real talk, while changing on a wave-guide on the backbone of a B-1 one night I slipped and slid down the rear end end behind the right wing and got stopped by the fall arrest system. It probably saved me a broken neck, but holy poo poo was that painful. There's no slowing down, you just STOP.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

IIRC what saved the guy getting sucked into the A-6 was the fact that his helmet got ripped off and the engine choked on that instead of sailor.

Yeah, kind of:

The J52 engine in that aircraft has a set of non-rotating inlet guide vanes in front of the first rotating compressor section. Dude basically wedged against those and between the nose cone of the engine and the intake wall while his helmet/life jacket were sucked off him and chewed up in the engine.

Also it's a fairly small engine too so there's not a ton of room for a dude to fit:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:J52_engine_maintenance_USS_America_(CV-66)_1993.JPEG

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, kind of:

The J52 engine in that aircraft has a set of non-rotating inlet guide vanes in front of the first rotating compressor section. Dude basically wedged against those and between the nose cone of the engine and the intake wall while his helmet/life jacket were sucked off him and chewed up in the engine.

Also it's a fairly small engine too so there's not a ton of room for a dude to fit:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:J52_engine_maintenance_USS_America_(CV-66)_1993.JPEG

Your link got radium'd, here's the picture:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah, kind of:

The best part of that story is that the Whiteshirt, the guy on the deck in charge of safety, had already told that dude like three times that night to stop walking so close to the intake. loving dumbass. Screaming jet air intakes terrify me and I've been around them most of my adult life.

If anyone wants to hear more stories about dumb safety violations in aviation, civilian or military, boy have I got a grip of them.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

The best part of that story is that the Whiteshirt, the guy on the deck in charge of safety, had already told that dude like three times that night to stop walking so close to the intake. loving dumbass. Screaming jet air intakes terrify me and I've been around them most of my adult life.

If anyone wants to hear more stories about dumb safety violations in aviation, civilian or military, boy have I got a grip of them.

Having stood up close to an A-6 those intakes are terrifyingly close to the nose gear. Also :justpost:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Julius CSAR posted:

:justpost:
E: ^^^ :hfive:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Previa_fun posted:

Having stood up close to an A-6 those intakes are terrifyingly close to the nose gear. Also :justpost:

Yeah, when we had to shoot the ECM test at the antennas, we had to be about 25 feet from the antennas to get the signal to reach. You can see here the odd colored panels above the intakes (sorry about the loving flags all over, this is best pic of this angle I could find)

that's where the antennas are, so in order to shoot the signal you'd have to get pretty close to the gently caress off huge intakes. Unnerving for sure.

Once we had a weapons troop working in the bomb bay forget to pull handle to lock the doors open and the doors swung shut and caught on the maintenance stand giving the idiot just enough time to clamber up the stand railings and jump into weapons bay as the doors swung shut below him. Apparently it had happened once before in the 90's but the dude wasn't so lucky. I guess he didn't die, but it pretty much cut the dude in half.

I had a 110 pound swingdown panel fall on to my head because a dumbass crew chief had it written up as "Aft Equipment Bay Panel Temp Installed" rather than ""Aft Equipment Bay Panel Temp Installed (hinges not installed)". Complacency is a killer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is crazy. Capping a well after a blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1IbfokGr0Y

how much do you not want to be the dude in the back hoe with a shed on it.

I wonder if all the existing fire makes their torches work faster.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah, when we had to shoot the ECM test at the antennas, we had to be about 25 feet from the antennas to get the signal to reach. You can see here the odd colored panels above the intakes (sorry about the loving flags all over, this is best pic of this angle I could find)

that's where the antennas are, so in order to shoot the signal you'd have to get pretty close to the gently caress off huge intakes. Unnerving for sure.

Once we had a weapons troop working in the bomb bay forget to pull handle to lock the doors open and the doors swung shut and caught on the maintenance stand giving the idiot just enough time to clamber up the stand railings and jump into weapons bay as the doors swung shut below him. Apparently it had happened once before in the 90's but the dude wasn't so lucky. I guess he didn't die, but it pretty much cut the dude in half.

I had a 110 pound swingdown panel fall on to my head because a dumbass crew chief had it written up as "Aft Equipment Bay Panel Temp Installed" rather than ""Aft Equipment Bay Panel Temp Installed (hinges not installed)". Complacency is a killer.

:spergin: Nice UHF SATCOM antennas, shame someone forgot to paint it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CarForumPoster posted:

:spergin: Nice UHF SATCOM antennas, shame someone forgot to paint it.

the radar guys would poo poo bricks lol

Just recently I heard the super dumb girl at my last job drove a conveyor belt loader into the comm antenna underneath a 737. I'll post pics when I get home.

This girl is training to be a civilian maintainer (will never happen) at that lovely AIM place and thinks she will parlay that into fixing rockets for NASA :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This made me curious about what the smallest vessel allowed through the locks is.

There isn’t a hard limit. You need a certified pilot, so your boat needs to fit at least two people unless you yourself are certified.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What would it cost to have them operate the locks for just you and your canoe?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

What would it cost to have them operate the locks for just you and your canoe?

https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tolls.html

Minimum charge for a vessel less than 50 feet long is $800.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The all-time lowest fare, thirty-six cents, was paid by Richard Halliburton in 1928.

He swam.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evil_bunnY posted:

https://twitter.com/michael_hendrix/status/977664067933483011

Turns out having the very shittiest of work environment is not conducive to retaining a cutting edge workforce.

*something something Radar Cross Section* *Stealth bikes*.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

oohhboy posted:

*something something Radar Cross Section* *Stealth bikes*.

I thought trying to trigger traffic light road sensors into seeing me was hard enough now I'm gonna have to include some kinda RF signal emitter to let the cars of the future see me?

[edit] I would be okay with this.

Rule 1 of biking. Assume they can't see you. No it doesn't matter he's looking directly at you they can't see you.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
How many cross wakks must a woman walk down
Before we can drive no more
How many parachutes must save Cessna pilots
Before we win the airframe war.
How many shoes must fly away
Before the wearer is no more.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Meanwhile, in the Netherlands...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DiHK posted:

How many cross wakks must a woman walk down
Before we can drive no more
How many parachutes must save Cessna pilots
Before we win the airframe war.
How many shoes must fly away
Before the wearer is no more.

the answer my friend
is drivin without men
the answer is drivin without men

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Say Nothing posted:

Meanwhile, in the Netherlands...

Trackmania 3 looking really good so far.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

This is absolutely terrifying. The place was built in 2013 and it looks like all the required alarm systems, sprinklers and fire exits et cetera were built as required by law, but then they were all disabled by the staff and fire inspectors ignored it.

Why disable the alarms and sprinklers?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Presumably the alarms went off and made an annoying noise and the sprinklers sprinkled water.

Actually fixing the problem would cost time and money so just turn them off. I mean it's not like there's ever going to be a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Waymo alleged one of its former engineers, Anthony Levandowski, stole confidential files full of trade secrets before leaving to form his own startup, Otto, in early 2016. Waymo alleged Levandowski then used that information to help advance Uber's self-driving tech once Otto was acquired in August 2016.

scp worst_ideas/* uber.com