Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Stupid thought, but why don't they install more cameras, so they get the drivers' reactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

that was the old setup

this is the new one:

taking industrial music to its logical conclusion

I want to FCU like an animal

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Talk about foreign OSHA: scaffolding at a Chinese power plant construction site collapsed, killing at least 67. I wonder if we'll ever hear of the reason. Do they even have any kind of industrial accident investigations, or is life too cheap in China?
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/24/construction-site-collapse-in-china-kills-at-least-67.html

Chinese crane & scaffolding collapse season isn't March to April like in New York?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

MercurialOne posted:

There's a ton of safety mechanisms to prevent the robot from damaging itself, because it is very expensive. But these safety mechanisms only engage if the robot itself is in danger. Once I had a robot bend a metal bolt as thick as my finger before the safety system stopped it. I doubt dragging a human along the floor would even register to it. Humans aren't supposed to be in reach of it when it's running.

The real problem with that chair-riding video is that the emergency stop is not usable. An emergency stop to a robot means "ENGAGE THE MECHANICAL BRAKES NOW", not "please halt". Last time I had to use an emergency stop the robot nearly ripped itself out of the floor, caused several tons of steel to literally bounce and made a terrible noise. I don't think it would kill the chair guy if you hit the emergency stop while it was spinning in a big circle, but he'd maybe get a concussion and whiplash.

Note that when I had to use the emergency stop I was safely behind a fence. That said, there are a ton of robots that are safe for human interaction. However, they're slow and weak. The robot in that video is definitely not one of them.

You should probably speak to congress, because very shortly people are going to be having sex with robots.

Imagine a 10th scale robot, reenacting that video on some goon's erection.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

It's like this thread, if everything was a horror story about how many nitrogens you can bond together before it explodes and kills everyone or CSB videos about people being doused in phosgene.

Sounds like a thread for gore hounds. I just want some slapstick comedy.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What the gently caress is happening there?

It looks like he's igniting methane gas through a hole in the cover.

Unless it's the annual Con Ed steam explosion.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Muppet-legs over here

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

A stubborn bonehead is working in unsafe conditions surrounded by a bunch of dangerous jackasses. The video should be in the OP.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Default Settings posted:

That can't be the sole reason - as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
And it would be very easy to odorize nitrogen similarly like natural gas.

I'm answering this coming from construction. CO2 and N2 are both dangerous inert gases (guess we all know that) and in lab spaces they seem to only be piped into fume hoods or exhausted bio safety cabinets, except in special procedure rooms near vivariums. Those procedure rooms with exposed CO2 valves always have CO2 sensors.

CO2 sensors use IR, the same technology used in many lighting control occupancy sensors and smoke detectors. IR can't detect N2.

There are N2 sensors, but - and I'm purely guessing - I bet the prevalence of IR makes it cheaper to detect CO2 than N2.

edit: IR = infrared

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 18, 2016

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

emptyspace posted:

Wait, what? How does this work?

He's joking. Some wasp sprays insulate up to 47k volts, but the labeling makes it sound like it's electrified.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

I don't recall where it was mentioned, maybe in this thread, but someone said that many of these Russian stunt junkies are so massively in debt to various nefarious people in Russia that they are basically dead anyhow, so making money off the ad revenue for doing insanely risky stuff is actually a viable way to raise funds to pay off said people, because the alternative is being dead anyway.

If he was dealing with the mob he might have got rooked.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Might be a neutral but that's still completely wrong for several different reasons.

Here's the proper way to do a splice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIuiIWtF5c (Just a splicing video, 15kV cable.)

We had issues at work because some of the manufacturers for these kits are like "YOU MUST USE A PROPANE TORCH TO SHRINK THE OUTER JACKET!" The problem is that using a torch in a lot of businesses requires what's called a "hot work permit". We used electric heat guns but they took much longer to shrink down the outer jackets. Haven't had any issues.

Tyco also recommends using the Raychen FH2616 A-1 when sculpting ice Michelangelo's Davids pissing vodka at your 2nd wife's 40th birthday party in Sardinia.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Parking brake, never heard of it.

*is rental car*
*parking brake is a button behind the gas cap*

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

You guys are telling me american tourist Cloe Swift left her cell phone in the car?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes. If it was a truly minor surgery, they might have been doing "twilight anesthesia", which is not anesthesia as most people understand it. You're awake, they just roofie you with midazolam so you don't remember the surgery and use local/regional anesthesia for pain relief.

What the hell? This sounds like a Black Mirror episode. For the dude who was awake: Did you feel it?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Can I point out I hate 00's architecture? Entire city blocks are built to look like a Holiday Inn Express.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

This is definitely fake. You can see there's no ice. The water's probably not cold at all.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

More HSE than OSHA but nice to see someone being held accountable:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38774080

"Gordon, of Dauntsey, Wiltshire - who was also banned from being a company director for 12 years - was driving in a truck in front of the lorry that crashed."

Weird punishments in GB.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

DonnyTrump posted:

Some OSHA news from my general area. Yesterday at around 2:30 PM EST a pile of garbage shifted or fell over on/under some trucks in a landfill. 5 or 6 people were in trucks, all but one is currently out. Last I knew there was one guy still in a front end loader buried under 100-150 feet of garbage. This is pretty morbid but any idea how long someone could survive something like that?

I'm going on 12 years.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The timing is right for a Maximum Overdrive remake.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

This part got me:

quote:

Audio Transcript Factual Report Page 506
Primary Communications Secondary and Electronic Communications AB-1
COOK
05:38:14.0 05:38:15.2 fellas it's too rough to feed ya.
07:00:21.5 07:00:22.5 [sound of main hatchway caving in]
COOK
07:00:34.8 07:00:35.5 fellas it's been good to know ya.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

That license plate is perfect.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Here's a graphic based, apparently, on this thing.

I like how half of america doesn't even have a word for things going wrong.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Don't Ask posted:

So a crane collapsed yesterday:

Unfortunately the woman in the car was killed.

The crane was manufactured in 1984 - is that normal for this kind of equipment?

Crane Collapse Season in New York City officially begins Feb. 15, so keep your eyes on the sky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1015181893472579584

Footage from a helmet cam. Looks pretty loving cramped and poo poo in there.

Holy poo poo. When you reach the flooded parts, how do you even know where the tunnel continues?

There are also parts where the cavers can walk, but the water's over a child's head. I guess they would have floats?