Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Problem description: So im just playing a game and out of nowhere the whole thing just bloops off and restarts, this never happens outside of a game and it doesnt happen in every game. It happens at seemingly random times like sometimes right after launch and sometimes after a full hour and sometimes never??? I dont remember when it started but im just gonna say its been there since i built the thing half a year or so ago but maybe less frequently or maybe it was the specific games? I dont know.

Attempted fixes: poo poo dude ive done everything i can think of. Updated every driver, no errors in event viewer or anything like that, device manager you get it. Im thinking its the power supply browning out, i cleared out any dust and whatnot. Ive looked at my voltages, 12v never drops below 11.7. I dont know about that kind of poo poo but its less than 5% so it should be fine? Im still thinking psu but i dont have another one to test with or anything like that.

Recent changes: Nah

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64

System specs:processor: Intel 4590
motherboard: MSI z97 something sli whatever
graphics card: nvidia 970
memory: 8gb one stick, 1666 i think?
power supply: evga 500b 500w
hard drive: i got a 1tb and a solid state for os and stuff

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I cant google anymore man. I just cant

Thanks dog if someone helps me with this i will be so grateful i dont even know what ill do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My initial suspicion is the power supply, that's a rather low-end and low-capacity model for a higher-end system. Something better would have been a more appropriate choice.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
So is there some way to test and make sure thats whats up? Without access to another power supply.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If that happens it's either usually the PSU or overheating.
Is there any consistency with games? If so, get yourself a program to measure temperature.

Also try our FurMark. See if it causes consistent crashes.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

If that happens it's either usually the PSU or overheating.
Is there any consistency with games? If so, get yourself a program to measure temperature.

Also try our FurMark. See if it causes consistent crashes.

Temperatures are consistently normal, like 50c tops. Furmark runs like a champ.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Have you tried putting your card in another slot?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Have you tried putting your card in another slot?

Just tried, no deal. Though i think another wrinkle to this is the reboot comes as soon as the actual game starts. Like main menu, loading screen fine, as soon as loading is complete: poof. In these certain games. And not some where its delayed. And some where its never (like hearthstone).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

So is there some way to test and make sure thats whats up? Without access to another power supply.

No, not with one if it's intermittently having an issue. Only PSU testers to confirm if one is completely dead.

I'd try using onboard video temporarily (if you have it).

kstx
Feb 22, 2015

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Problem description: So im just playing a game and out of nowhere the whole thing just bloops off and restarts, this never happens outside of a game and it doesnt happen in every game. It happens at seemingly random times like sometimes right after launch and sometimes after a full hour and sometimes never???

Sounds like problem i had with my old computer and certain games with irregular crashes during gameplay. All the problems were caused by PunkBuster enabled games, I guess the PB had decided that i had cheated or something(never did). I was able to fix said problem by changing my computers signature(based on your computers components), I changed it by adding a pci soundcard to my pc.
IMHO Just something worth to checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

kstx posted:

Sounds like problem i had with my old computer and certain games with irregular crashes during gameplay. All the problems were caused by PunkBuster enabled games, I guess the PB had decided that i had cheated or something(never did). I was able to fix said problem by changing my computers signature(based on your computers components), I changed it by adding a pci soundcard to my pc.
IMHO Just something worth to checking out.

Nah its not punkbuster. Ive talked with suppport and such and tried everything and they want to bring in the entire thing in even though i only really have parts warrantee and built it myself. cant figure it out

• Locked thread