Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
GET. loving. PUMPED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

By the way, we got a 200 pt. question last year because I got bored at the grocery store at 12am one day and took pictures of cereal boxes. Every little effort can be a big difference maker, no matter how stupid it may sound.

No, I am not turning into Network, why do you ask?

If only you knew what we're working on...

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Milli posted:

Guys let's all have some good clean fun this year :)

Yes Milli

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

your off the team

That's my line

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Until we have a basement full of decades of old magazines, I'm gonna say we're keeping the spirit since 99% if the team just rolls up the day before and helps out

Actually offseason channel has been at an all time high for population.

We used to average like 12 people in "peak" offseason. Now we rarely drop below 40.

And our "basement" is online and mostly automated.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Alright, time off has been reserved. Looking forward to causing us to lose points with panicky time announcements and spamming the potato ads all weekend.

dig in and eat your heart out

This is not happening.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

CrashCat posted:

it already happened, doofus

No it hasn't. And it won't.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

There is a beer festival during the day on the 16th that I must interrupt trivia for so I will return drunk off my rear end ready to soldier on. Can't wait.

No.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Natural intelligence

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Roki B posted:

I'm scheduled to work night shift all three nights. I guess I'll try to get some in just before and just after.

CALL OUT

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

simplefish posted:

'Six sick stick shifts', surely? Anyway, I love it

Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts

Exactly 36

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Phuzzy posted:

Teams are $35 in person, $75 over the internet.

$75 is online only

quote:

Team registration will again be $30.00 per team.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

CrashCat posted:

Even talking about previous years' questions is kind of risky, I would avoid it if at all possible

We land on the side of extreme caution due to being a primarily internet organized team so our policy is not to distribute any questions from any years.

So don't loving do it. Thanks

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Aredna posted:

Oh certainly don't want to post anything we found. I didn't realize the quiz runners cared that much about the questions being reposted elsewhere though.

What would stop someone from another team just coming here and posting everything in this thread to try and get us banned? Or vice versa? It's like mailing drugs to someone else. They may get a search at worst, but they aren't going to get arrested because you can't prove who did it.

The reality is that most (if not all) of the other teams are interested in competition and have no interest in getting us banned. We have talked to members in several top 10 (and top 20) teams. I would say we have a fairly good relationship with them. Ultimately I don't think that is a concern.

As for the questions themselves, they ask the pictures not to be posted anywhere online (that is not private to team members) and that also applies to the questions. There are 30 mystery pictures to identify and we will have them sometime after 4-5pm Eastern on Monday. At this point we will begin to try identifying what they are. Examples from previous years are a picture of an actor, and then you try to figure out who the actor is, what movie or show it is from, just anything to try and provide context to the image.

All that being said, if you want to hear some questions (or see some pictures) from previous years, you can get all of that by joining in IRC and just asking, someone in that channel will show you some examples.

Merrill posted:

Luckily (unluckily?) my workplace got rid of our bound collections of Life Magazine, so I won't be tempted to hole up in my office for the weekend.

Lucky for you all of LIFE is on Google books.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

wa27 posted:

Never forget the Wheaties King.

Long live the Wheaties King.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

IRC channel lockdown goes into effect today at 3pm (or whenever pictures start being posted) whichever is earlier.

What this means: if you don't identify yourself as an SA member within a minute of joining you will be kicked until you do so.

To anyone new (or old) joining us, please have your SA forum name ready to provide

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Superrodan posted:

That doesn't really apply to me, but what's happening tonight?

Some people are watching a movie together (Trivia Town). Others are looking for pictures. Contest starts Friday @ 7pm Eastern

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

The Night is Dark and Full of Peppers.

Our team right now:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the network guy from last year actually wasn't being a jerk. probably. what happened was that our ground crew went down to the station for the trophy ceremony and the guy said something like "maybe next year try some natural intelligence". our ground crew thought "wtf what is this nerd going on about, what a jerk" because none of them were aware that irl we are a shadowy B2B skynet corporation

http://yiff.tech

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

joke_explainer posted:

That's incredibly important. A huge portion of our points come from verifying answers. Finding is really important but verification is also incredibly important. People should not feel bad about just verifying details at all, that is a major contribution.

A great example was the Happy Family Q

Please delete the questions, reference just Hour and Question number -- this goes to anyone else who did that earlier in the thread too.

And yes, we're in IRC all year long (and we're actually pretty active year round these days) so drop in and come discuss any ideas or issues you have now that chat is slow.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

It's an unofficial "official" team policy to not post the questions in here. I don't see other teams doing it, and even if they are there's no reason to follow by example.

If people want to see the questions like I always say, join the IRC and we'll gladly show them to you.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

I understand all that. I guess my thought is if his contest is losing participants it is very likely due to his own mistakes, stubbornness, and nonsensical rules and I find it hard to feel sorry for him. The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

I think people have been merging teams because the internet has facilitated the ability to do so - also the increased chances of doing way better when teaming up.

I don't see any reason for us or anyone else to feel sorry, I'm not sure where that idea came from.

So yeah - we do everything in our power to not attract eyes and we're gonna keep doing that

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not a fan of moving to slack. I use it already for work and really dislike it.

The barrier to entry for the IRC is pretty low as it stands anyway. Slack has a bunch of bullshit features that make it a glorified IRC and requires a lot of custom configuration to make it run well. It also makes us rely on a 3rd party service for stability. What happens if slack goes down during the weekend?

Counterpoint: what happens if IRC goes down during the weekend right? Well we've been planning to move to our own IRC server for a while now.

Counterpoint to slack: you have to pay for logs to my knowledge, we would BLOW past the free log history in about an hour during the contest. What use is that to us?

Slack is not a good idea just for that alone and I'm not inclined to pay for that service either.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm amazed at the sticking power irc has had, it is not a pleasant system to use.

KISS. IRC is stable and it works. Are you surprised at the sticking power of email too? Same principle.

It's only "unpleasant" because you don't use it regularly.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I've used irc on and off for uhh let's say 20+. It was designed by programmers, it isn't built with user accessibility in mind and it shows. Not only does one get to enjoy irc (mibbit or mirc in my case probably mibbit) when one joins they get to be accused of being a spy and kicked, what a pleasant experience.

Now you're talking about two different things.

Yes, the accusations and legitimate people being kicked is an issue, however, this is not related to IRC. We have the intentions and plans of completely resolving this issue next year.

The "user accessibility" you speak of sounds like more of a personal problem than a widespread issue.
Is Slack more "user friendly"? Yes, absolutely. Will it work for our trivia purposes? Zero chance.

I welcome all constructive criticism and suggestions. Like I already said I full agree about the accusations and kicking and we will have that fixed by next year.

And just as a final footnote - you've been using IRC on and off for 20+ (years, presumably?) and you're using mibbit? -- Although I suppose that is a different conversation entirely, just odd.

P.S. Unless you joined under a different username in IRC, you seem to have ignore all PMs and said precisely one line in chat. I don't know what kind of reaction you figured that was going to get.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

No need to argue about this whenever is already been acknowledged as a problem to be fixed next year! :D

Indeed, thanks. As I mentioned earlier, we will have this labeled as a spy issue resolved next year. We've already acknowledged it was definitely a problem and I appreciate all of the feedback on this particular point.

I have no interest in excluding people and will be trying my best to make sure that does not happen next year (which means there will be a change in how things are run)

Murphy Brownback posted:

That was my experience too as someone who had never even heard of this thing before. Someone in another channel said to join, I did and got immediately kicked (and even after I was allowed in I still had no idea what was going on). I get why it is that way, but at the same time it was a little jarring and next time I'll be sure to figure out what I'm supposed to do first instead of just jumping in.

I'm sorry this happened, next year this won't be an issue for new people joining us. Really there is nothing you can do instead of just "jumping in" right now. Unless you are already auto-voiced this is inevitable and is the biggest reason why it is going to be resolved by next year's contest

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Akbar posted:

Well hey, only part of our success is based on our technology and process. The rest is from being really good at answering Oz's trivia questions. I think there was a reddit team last year and they ended up flaming out within two days. What teams are you referencing that are running up on us?

The rest of the top 10

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Akbar posted:

I think it's natural to have a bit of variation year-to-year. I don't think it's realistic to expect us to increase our standing every year, especially when we're still pretty drat far away from the leaders. There's the top tier of Dad's and Festivus and then the next tier down has us, network, UUU, lactation, foole, etc. What I was asking is was there another newish team that is running up on us? It seems like the others in our tier have been there for a long time. And I'm not sure what black magic is needed to actually rival Dad's and Festivus.

The gap closed significantly this year.

2015: 3,690 from 3rd to 2nd.
2016: 740 from 3rd to 2nd.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Akbar posted:

and it was 2.4k in 2014, 1.9k in 2013, and just 350 points in 2012. Which is all to say that there is variance. I think all we can conclude from your figures is that 2015 was a particularly loose contest and 2016 was a pretty tight one. There's no indication of a trend either way over the past 5 years.

And for those years, this is how behind the leader we ended:

2012: 3820
2013: 3195
2014: 5985
2015: 4625
2016: 2065

Now, I'm not actually sure how instructive raw points are in a trivia analysis given that the pool of total points changes year to year due to the scoring scheme (as Kloaked notes). There's probably some inferential value in the sense of how many big point questions we miss compared to the champs.

This is how we've done in terms of a proportion: our points/points of top team.

2012: 64.3%
2013: 70.1
2014: 72.4
2015: 79.9
2016: 86.7

Here, it looks like we're clearly doing better year to year but our standing overall changes a bit from 14th to 8th to 7th to 4th to 6th based on factors beyond our control (how other teams do). There's still no evidence to me that we're losing ground to other teams beyond year-to-year variance. In terms of our progress goals for next year, it should be to continue that trend and maybe even get north of 90%.

All scores prior to 2014 are irrelevant because that's when the new scoring system was introduced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Pubic Lair posted:

Also some of the tools that goons have built weren't working which added to the stress. Hopefully they get fixed for next time.

Already up

• Locked thread