Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Scientastic posted:

I've been on the team (with more or less participation) since I joined SA and it's always been worth it. Even when I've been kind of useless, there's always SOMETHING you can contribute, and it's always been fun

<+Scientastic> SEARING DOESN'T SEAL IN JUICES YOU oval office
<@MisterZimbu> MAILLIARD REACTION YOU STUPID gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

tao of lmao posted:

Guys in this thread talking about how they don't feel like they contributed much this year. Let me tell you this: I've been here from the start and I barely contribute poo poo.
At least you got to hear Popcorn this time. Slacker.

Thanks for quietly getting the sheets anyway, it made it a lot easier for me to be a bossy hyping button pusher!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congrats everyone. I've been doing Trivia on and off since year 2, but the last couple years I've had other obligations and hadn't been able to spend much time. This year my weekend was totally free and I did nothing but sleep and Trivia from Friday night through Sunday midnight.

I did a lot of searching and posted a lot of links where someone had just posted it 10 seconds earlier or perhaps 2 seconds after me. But that's OK, it's part of the scramble. I led us down the wrong path a couple times but that's OK too, because sometimes there are more than one likely answer and it's good to have alternatives thrown into the mix just in case it's one of those misleading questions like stubblyhead just mentioned.

Even if I didn't personally lead us to a big correct answer even once, it was still tons of fun: just the tension, the mad scramble, getting the answer in and then shooting the poo poo for the next seven minutes is enjoyable and cool. We have a few really intense participants but even with them, it's because they're enthusiastic and committed and that's an infectious atmosphere that takes hold of people and keeps them motivated.

I think for next year it's time we got off the public IRC channel. Using synirc does make it easier for people to join, but the degree to which we are being paranoid about spais (perhaps justifiably) is becoming a little oppressive. If we could vet people before they can even join our chat, then there wouldn't be a need for things like keeping the photo answers hidden in the secret elite members only club, which is decidedly Not Fun. With our own private chat area we can probably also implement some more tools and controls to make life easier, too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

Congrats everyone. I've been doing Trivia on and off since year 2, but the last couple years I've had other obligations and hadn't been able to spend much time. This year my weekend was totally free and I did nothing but sleep and Trivia from Friday night through Sunday midnight.

I did a lot of searching and posted a lot of links where someone had just posted it 10 seconds earlier or perhaps 2 seconds after me. But that's OK, it's part of the scramble. I led us down the wrong path a couple times but that's OK too, because sometimes there are more than one likely answer and it's good to have alternatives thrown into the mix just in case it's one of those misleading questions like stubblyhead just mentioned.

Even if I didn't personally lead us to a big correct answer even once, it was still tons of fun: just the tension, the mad scramble, getting the answer in and then shooting the poo poo for the next seven minutes is enjoyable and cool. We have a few really intense participants but even with them, it's because they're enthusiastic and committed and that's an infectious atmosphere that takes hold of people and keeps them motivated.

I think for next year it's time we got off the public IRC channel. Using synirc does make it easier for people to join, but the degree to which we are being paranoid about spais (perhaps justifiably) is becoming a little oppressive. If we could vet people before they can even join our chat, then there wouldn't be a need for things like keeping the photo answers hidden in the secret elite members only club, which is decidedly Not Fun. With our own private chat area we can probably also implement some more tools and controls to make life easier, too.

Well Goonswarm is falling apart, maybe we could just take over their forums :v:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

There were plans in the work last summer to move to a new server, but they didn't end up happening.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's popcorn and why is it such a big deal?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don't think the issue is a simple as better vetting, as if there are spais, they are likely already goons. The only solution would be to cap people joining, which is bad and dumb and counterintuitive to what makes Fursuit work.

There are a few organizational changes in terms of room structure that could help things if it is a real concern, I'm not sure if it is though.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 18, 2016

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

What's popcorn and why is it such a big deal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdLh0MHqKw

Played every year. It's just a really catchy song that people look forward to.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I still remember the first thread of the first year when the main reason for playing was to compete against the Mysterious Network team that was rumored to have NYT Crossword editors or something on their team.

Then last year they were hallway dicks about barely beating us.

And this year they are sucking hind tit.

Congrats All!

I didn't get much of anything this year because everytime I would google someone would beat me with the correct answer before I could even start to type it. The only question I was fast enough to beat google with was from a TV show car. I only knew it because I have the same exact model and year car and in the show it was supposed to be a rusty beater and my car is in the same rusty beater shape so when someone hassles me I say it's the car from the TV show and I don't want to alter it.

Wife murder car

My beater

Of course it was an easy one that was right out of the Encyclopedia of TV shows.

After placing so high last few years we probably got some new accounts not just to Spai but also to figure out how a team from nowhere has risen so fast. Our place this year will increase that number and it'll either have to be addressed or ignored for the sake of having fun. I know I spent 4-5 hours looking at ad for slide projectors, Tvs, slot cars, dictation machines, shutter bulbs etc... to try to find number 4 with no luck and someone found it and I'm curious what it was.

Capping means that if long time players get busy with life for a year or burn out there is no new blood. Trying to limit by activity in the thread or IRC will cut out goons who have limited time or only chime in when they know an answer.

Whatever the team decides I'd wait until summer to implement it as you will be getting a bunch of curiosity for the next few weeks from other teams.

Also I'm a terrible goon and have never bought a Trivia Tshirt but if we make a run of gently caress Network or something like that to commemorate our win I'm going to have to :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are obviously several paths for Spais but honestly we're letting any goon play and that means someone planning in advance can pay the :tenbux: to register and there's gently caress all we can do about that.

The issue with the public IRC room is that people can wander in right when we're hashing out a tough question. Athanatos or whoever can kick them, but our normal procedure is to try to verify them as goons first, because we don't want to be kicking people who are legit. So there's a window of opportunity and it also places a burden on the admins to vet people the instant they come into the room, especially if we're right in the middle working a difficult question.

So a private chat room would require people to be vetted before they join - to the extent that we verify anyone, anyway - and that means admins don't have to instantly boot someone when really they'd probably rather be working on the question at hand.

I'm generally against the secret club question secrets thing. I realize it might mean a 500 point question gets found out by some other unscrupulous team and that turns it into a 300 point question and we don't gain on that team when we answer it. But honestly, and I don't know if this is how other people feel, but: keeping this thing a fun and engaging goon project is way more important to me than exactly where we place in the top ten. If other teams are dedicated to stealing and cheating in order to win, then they're going to win that way, and we shouldn't let that put a damper on our fun.

Of course I can live without knowing what that statue of liberty picture was before we answered the question, it's not that big of a deal. But when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer and so we all need to shut up just in case of spais and our precious points? In my opinion that's a bad path to go down.

Let's put together the structure and use the tools necessary to avoid the necessity for that kind of thing if we possibly can.

Just to reiterate, my fun was not ruined or anything, nothing close to that, and everyone is cool and good, including the admins who were just doing their honest best.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the network guy from last year actually wasn't being a jerk. probably. what happened was that our ground crew went down to the station for the trophy ceremony and the guy said something like "maybe next year try some natural intelligence". our ground crew thought "wtf what is this nerd going on about, what a jerk" because none of them were aware that irl we are a shadowy B2B skynet corporation

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the network guy from last year actually wasn't being a jerk. probably. what happened was that our ground crew went down to the station for the trophy ceremony and the guy said something like "maybe next year try some natural intelligence". our ground crew thought "wtf what is this nerd going on about, what a jerk" because none of them were aware that irl we are a shadowy B2B skynet corporation

http://yiff.tech

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
If beating network means we all gotta be furries now so be it :colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What was the Statue of Liberty answer, anyway?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Scientastic posted:

some jazz fusion album

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

HiipFire posted:

some jazz fusion album

I spent so much time looking though magazine ads for remote controlled poo poo from the 50s and 60s and it was a jazz album. Thats like that weird R Crumb looking doodle that ended up being on an album last year.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

There are obviously several paths for Spais but honestly we're letting any goon play and that means someone planning in advance can pay the :tenbux: to register and there's gently caress all we can do about that.

The issue with the public IRC room is that people can wander in right when we're hashing out a tough question. Athanatos or whoever can kick them, but our normal procedure is to try to verify them as goons first, because we don't want to be kicking people who are legit. So there's a window of opportunity and it also places a burden on the admins to vet people the instant they come into the room, especially if we're right in the middle working a difficult question.

So a private chat room would require people to be vetted before they join - to the extent that we verify anyone, anyway - and that means admins don't have to instantly boot someone when really they'd probably rather be working on the question at hand.

I'm generally against the secret club question secrets thing. I realize it might mean a 500 point question gets found out by some other unscrupulous team and that turns it into a 300 point question and we don't gain on that team when we answer it. But honestly, and I don't know if this is how other people feel, but: keeping this thing a fun and engaging goon project is way more important to me than exactly where we place in the top ten. If other teams are dedicated to stealing and cheating in order to win, then they're going to win that way, and we shouldn't let that put a damper on our fun.

Of course I can live without knowing what that statue of liberty picture was before we answered the question, it's not that big of a deal. But when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer and so we all need to shut up just in case of spais and our precious points? In my opinion that's a bad path to go down.

Let's put together the structure and use the tools necessary to avoid the necessity for that kind of thing if we possibly can.

Just to reiterate, my fun was not ruined or anything, nothing close to that, and everyone is cool and good, including the admins who were just doing their honest best.

couldn't agree more with this post, it's always obnoxious and seems to get worse every year

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What were our placings the last few years? Is 6th the highest we've got?

(I wasn't able to participate this year but have the last 2 years).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Corek posted:

What were our placings the last few years? Is 6th the highest we've got?

(I wasn't able to participate this year but have the last 2 years).

Last year we were 4th. Behind Network.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Personally, I don't think turning #TP into a chat room like TPMusic that also serves as a clearing house for the real discussion of answers is a terrible solution.

I will say that tpot should probably be made invite only

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Scientastic posted:

Plus after all our secrecy on it, it was only worth 110 points or something.

Also, I think that we should have a password (+k) on #tp to at least give us that little bit of protection from randoms joining. We don't have to necessarily hide the password. Just put spoiler tags or something on it and leave it at that.

I have some other suggestions for us too, but I'll bring those up in IRC this week.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Hockles posted:

Plus after all our secrecy on it, it was only worth 110 points or something.

Also, I think that we should have a password (+k) on #tp to at least give us that little bit of protection from randoms joining. We don't have to necessarily hide the password. Just put spoiler tags or something on it and leave it at that.

I have some other suggestions for us too, but I'll bring those up in IRC this week.

Possibly have the password in a protected forum a la PGS or SA Mart.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What I am envisioning is a public chat room anyone can join. A handful of admins monitor the room. If you want to join Trivia you go there and ask to join. An admin gets to you when its convenient (e.g., not in the middle of a frenzied attempt to answer a tough question) and if you check out, you get the password to the password-protected main Trivia chat channel.

It's one added step, it's a little less convenient for people to join, but it means there's no chance of a random unapproved person popping into the pw-protected channel at an inopportune moment... and that means there's no need to constantly be on the lookout so you can super-fast kick someone who wanders in at an inopportune moment.

We essentially already do this with the spreadsheets. You can get spreadsheet access if someone looks you over and accepts that you're a genuine goon. You get the pw and you're good.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

It's hard to feel productive when the goon hive answers most questions within 30 seconds. Still, verifying answers or eliminating bad answers is important. Having lots of people is a good problem to have.

That's incredibly important. A huge portion of our points come from verifying answers. Finding is really important but verification is also incredibly important. People should not feel bad about just verifying details at all, that is a major contribution.

A great example was the Happy Family Q.

quote:

H52Q8

If you look into what happened here you can see vetting the answer working great, multiple details get quickly matched and the dissenting alternate (which amazingly matched character names and marital status exactly but no profession information found and nothing suggesting a topic of a 'household' show) got shot down pretty quickly.

Another great example was Althea Gibson.

quote:

H41Q7

If you look into what happened here, we very nearly called the wrong answer. It was a really compelling answer but the years did not add up. The person that called it in held off while it was verified and we came around to Gibson with time to spare. If everybody was googling and nobody clicked the links, we wouldn't have gotten that. Eliminating the other answer was a necessary step in getting the right answer. Researchers are amazing and we have AMAZING people all around but if you feel left out just because you only got to verify things, you shouldn't! It is really super super important.

Leperflesh posted:

I was getting really confused there and really appreciated the adminstrators stepping in to calm things down a bit. I was transcribing and verifying best I could but between the joke answers and the lag (I don't read chat while transcribing) it was just getting really confusing and hard to separate what was going on. Everyone was still having fun, it's just very easy to get derailed or slip into some blunder running into the last few hours, and after days and days of doing it there are frustrations all around. Sorry if it was stressful to anyone who got kicked or yelled at.

Overall I wildly approve the compartmentalization of #4 until the call and I think we should do stuff like that in the future when we are 100% sure on something and it's had minimal contact. If we are 100% sure we have the details we need (and the source we can immediately paste if we need eyes on it, and know that's the right source), we gain nothing by sharing it and stand to lose a few points. I'm all about trivia being fun, it's a blast, but there's no reason to take unnecessary risks. When everybody figures out a picture together, there's nothing avoiding that and its fine (almost all of them are massive group efforts), but if it's just one person and no one else manages to repeat that, there is absolutely no reason to share it with the room. Everyone gets to know when it is asked anyway.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Everyone feel free to hang out and chat over the year if you have any questions or concerns.

Leperflesh posted:

ut when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer

This was 2 different things and not the issue.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 18, 2016

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

joke_explainer posted:

That's incredibly important. A huge portion of our points come from verifying answers. Finding is really important but verification is also incredibly important. People should not feel bad about just verifying details at all, that is a major contribution.

A great example was the Happy Family Q

Please delete the questions, reference just Hour and Question number -- this goes to anyone else who did that earlier in the thread too.

And yes, we're in IRC all year long (and we're actually pretty active year round these days) so drop in and come discuss any ideas or issues you have now that chat is slow.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

What a ride, once again. Slept for a grand total of six hours during Trivia, drank loads of beer, ate imitation Portesi. Did more searching than any other year I've participated, then lucked out in a major way on the Statue of Liberty pic in what was essentially a shot in the dark. It was disappointing that after all the :tinfoil:ing it wasn't worth more, but finding it was legit thrilling to the point of me being surprised at how excited I was (I'm very laid-back usually).

Although I'm quiet on IRC most of the time, I love this contest. When I first joined TF for Trivia 43, I had no idea what this, or anything in Wisconsin, was. It was pretty confusing with all the weird jokes about other teams, Oz and general Trivia culture. And now the clutch answers, the yelling, the Emmas, the mushmouths, Foghorn Leghorn, the German Baby Song and Portesi have coalesced into a big mess of fun and excitement I would not miss for the world. The idea of furiously googling the make and model of someone's cufflinks on a fictional 1930's radio show while drunk at 4 in the morning is hilarious to me, but I've slowly come to realize that this contest is exactly what life should be about: doing ridiculous poo poo with fun people just for the sake of it, and having a good time.

See you next year!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tshirt designs will be up at some point tomorrow. I just woke up from like my third nap of the day and eating dinner was exhausting enough. :shrug:

Not that there's a rush on this, but I do wanna get tshirts designed and ordered before the hype fades too much!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
?hype

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

?gently caress

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just participated a little bit, but it was amazing to see you guys in action and to see all the work and coordination. Nice job everyone!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

joke_explainer posted:

I was getting really confused there and really appreciated the adminstrators stepping in to calm things down a bit. I was transcribing and verifying best I could but between the joke answers and the lag (I don't read chat while transcribing) it was just getting really confusing and hard to separate what was going on. Everyone was still having fun, it's just very easy to get derailed or slip into some blunder running into the last few hours, and after days and days of doing it there are frustrations all around. Sorry if it was stressful to anyone who got kicked or yelled at.

Okay, this is actually surprising to me, because I've been assuming that at some point when a decision is made to call in an answer, all of the people on phone duty are explicitly given an answer to call in. If you guys have to extract the right answer from the stream... and are also doing other things at the same time? Then A) you're loving amazing because I don't think I could do that and B) hey maybe we should think about a more formal method of getting the consensus answer unambiguously in front of the eyeballs of all of the callers at the same time.

Athanatos posted:

This was 2 different things and not the issue.

Yeah true, I'm conflating two things, but for me they're closely related: e.g., let's develop whatever tools we need to develop to make that sort of action a lot less necessary.

I'm not a programmer but I have a lot of spreadsheet experience and I'm also good at documentation. I volunteer to help in any capacity that I can be useful.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Tshirt designs will be up at some point tomorrow. I just woke up from like my third nap of the day and eating dinner was exhausting enough. :shrug:

Not that there's a rush on this, but I do wanna get tshirts designed and ordered before the hype fades too much!

Are these "We Beat Network" celebratory t-shirts? If so, please count WifeRabit and myself in.

Also: I'd just like to point out that we missed out on 5th by an amount less than the points given for ELIZABETH TAYLOR'S loving INCORRECTLY NAMED COCKER SPANIEL.
*cough*

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 19, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Gyre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdLh0MHqKw

Played every year. It's just a really catchy song that people look forward to.
spoken like someone who actually got to hear Popcorn :argh:

Someday we'll get them to play The Percolator
?apology

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't want to sound salty over the fact that some people take their trivia seriously. I had a great time while I was able to play, thanks again goons :)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

rawillkill posted:

Please delete the questions, reference just Hour and Question number -- this goes to anyone else who did that earlier in the thread too.

Ok have to ask... why?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The people who run the contest don't want the actual trivia questions posted online.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ChesterJT posted:

Ok have to ask... why?

Oz's contest, Oz's rules

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

He's afraid of the internet and we don't want him to decide to ban us, an internet team, for being too internety.

.e think of it like this, you know how your grandma is still paying for dial-up AOL even though you set her up with cable internet ten years ago, solely because she refuses to understand that the AOL email client isn't literally "the internet"? At some point it's not worth arguing about it because hell, she's probably got less than ten years to live anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2016

• Locked thread