Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Question, doesn't every team get the same pictures? Why would posting them anywhere be an issue?

Off this weekend and ready to sit behind a chat window for 72 hours straight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Context posted:

That, and, if the pictures are posted publicly the answers are likely to be posted publicly as well (by commenters driving by with answers/speculation). It would get out of control real fast.

That seems impossible for most as no one knows what the questions are yet.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Let me guess, the one that was tossed was the one i drove almost two hours to get from the library...

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Glad I decided to stay in even after the children's book debacle because of this gem:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

rawillkill posted:

Please delete the questions, reference just Hour and Question number -- this goes to anyone else who did that earlier in the thread too.

Ok have to ask... why?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I Greyhound posted:

The man can literally shut you out of the contest forever if he doesn't like you. We already have a strike against us for being an internet team, which is a form of team that's tolerated, but not liked. There's no benefit to posting them here when you can join IRC and see them in our private hosting, and there's no need to aggravate the contest organizers.

Contrary to many Goon projects, we are good citizens on this one. Oz spends spends hundreds of hours a year on organizing this thing, so least we can do is follow his rules.

The most we can do is donate to the station. Details in...irc.

I understand all that. I guess my thought is if his contest is losing participants it is very likely due to his own mistakes, stubbornness, and nonsensical rules and I find it hard to feel sorry for him. The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

sellouts posted:

yeah totally anyone can organize 52 straight hours of loosely themed trivia with questions, music, photo hunt, and beam less scavenging with a phone bank staffed with volunteers to handle that many teams.

Which is why so many other places do it.

Yes actually anyone can. Hell for easter I made up a trivia quiz for my family consisting of about 20 questions with similar topics and themes. Took less than an hour to research random things on the internet and turn them into questions. If I had a radio station with a music library at my fingertips and staff at my disposal then yes I could certainly run said contest over the air. And if you can't find a random obscure photo on the internet and crop it and possibly rotate it I don't know what to tell you.

joke_explainer posted:

So are we going to have the ChesterJT 54 hour trivia contest this year? I don't know how anybody can think what he's does is easy. Just the fact that most of his Q's are answered is pretty freaking impressive IMO and that says nothing about organizing the contest and actually sustaining operations and keeping everyone in line...

Never said it was easy. It would be tedious work and I'm sure stressful for all involved while it was running. I'm only pointing out that it wasn't some special thing that only one old guy in Wisconsin can pull off. The only thing special about this trivia contest at this point is the size of it and it's longevity. Do you really think no other radio dj in the country couldn't organize the same thing? And possibly be bigger and better in a shorter timespan than 47 years?

No need to be so defensive guys. I love trivia and think the contest is fun and the goon community makes it even more fun. I just had a few questions about the rules and their purpose and thinking that Oz isn't the trivia master of the century shouldn't take anything away from that.

• Locked thread