Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HD DAD posted:

If there’s one criticism I can give In Rainbows, it’s that the production was very clean and kinda sterile. Even Bodysnatchers sounds a little too “perfect”.

Conversely, that's what I love about it. I think it's one of the all time best produced albums, and it's a go-to when I'm testing new speakers or systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've said it before, but I also think it captures the post-2016 zeitgeist in the same way that they really captured late 90s ennui with OK Computer and the Bush years with HTTT.

Daydreaming :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

For this british radiohead fan in 2016, Burn The Witch was a perfect encapsulation of Brexit and Daydreaming the perfect encapsulation of Climate Change

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They do seem to be on a four to five year cycle nowadays soooooo

Cautious hype?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They tend to reuse little phrases or names a lot, in ways that don't necessarily imply any direct connection between things.

It having been an Amnesiac interview isn't necessarily that significant. Think of all the weird Kid A era scrawls and fragments that have popped up again decades later.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That's probably my favourite version of Videotape. I used to just listen to it on repeat when it came out on youtube (which was quite an exciting novelty, which is weird to think about)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

20 quid for a live stream, tsk

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Amnesiac b sides are some of my favorite Radiohead songs

hell yea

gimme that Kinetic, Fast-Track, Trans-Atlantic Drawl...

Also Worrywort is lowkey one of Radiohead's nicest and least miserable songs, it's great

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Got the deluxe vinyl package to go w my KoL, OK Computer, and AMSP

Same + In Rainbows

This was always gonna be the one absolutely, 100% essential one for me though. Kid A is still my favourite album of all time

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, I really, really like that song. I wasn't sure for the first minute or so - it felt a bit bare-bones, a bit demo-ish - but then it just bloomed.

It also feels weirdly modern, somehow. I think it's because it has a bit of In Rainbows/AMSP vibes.

It's really quite nice

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 7, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Haha poor chieftan mews. I'm glad he's still kicking around although it sounds like not for much longer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Walrus posted:

randomly came across this, the most insane music review ever written

Amnesiac - Relax, It's Nothing Like Kid A
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2001/jun/01/shopping.artsfeatures1

This review says a lot more about Alex Petridis than it does about Amnesiac

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

They're not young men anymore, and there's only so long you can rail against how terrible the world is before you inevitably succumb to numb despair. Especially when things are only getting worse. I like AMSP for that reason

Thom huddled in his little snow hole waiting for his little fire to die and then freezing to death

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

90s Shoes posted:

the elements of detachment and the faraway warmth of amsp are, to me, kind of its tonal point.

I can see needing to be in the mood to really vibe with it, but it feels like looking back on a life almost, reconciling the sadness of the now with the nostalgia and otherworldly quality of the past. reckoning with the fact that all of it still is you, no matter how disparate it might seem.

and trying your best to take that feeling of loss and age and move beyond it somehow, if that's even possible.

it's a powerful, human record, though I agree that sometimes it takes being in the mood for it to really strike.

Yeah. What makes it work so well is that the feeling it evokes is simultaneously personal and universal. They (and Thom in particular) have always been big environmentalists, and they know what's happening, and what's going to happen. On the one hand it's an album about looking back on a life that is nearer its end than its beginning. On the other, it's the same thing but looking back on a species. This is made intensely obvious in Daydreaming, which is clearly about a divorce, but also, well, y'know:

Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
And it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Which incidentally is why

Dugong posted:

Daydreaming is one of the best songs they’ve put out.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 22, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

We did in 2007 and I missed out on it due to being a broke college student. :(

Nah, the second disc was only on CD. Those tracks have never been released on vinyl

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Thom & Jonny covered a song off Third although I forget which now.

'These Are My Twisted Words' is also a really good and underrated track as well, reminds me of 'Silence' off Third.

It was The Rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApeZnjvBso

EDIT

This is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZihQegX8M

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 24, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've never understood why Follow Me Around is such a cult fan favourite, because it does absolutely nothing for me and this version does nothing to change that

Pretty cool video though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Thom didn’t go on tour for Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes until Anima was almost out, I think a combination of horrible personal stuff plus Covid plus them being rich enough to not have to record when they don’t want to just has everything mega backed up. Radiohead may become a band that only releases a new album every decade but I prefer that in their old age compared to forcing themselves to keep putting something out every other year and all of it being impossibly boring

Absolutely. I trust the boys to get together when/if they feel like it's artistically worthwhile, and if that turns out, down the road, to in hindsight be "never", then that's fine.

I don't get the impression any of them feel any particular need to definitively wrap the band up. They seem smart enough to realise that they don't know what'll happen in the future

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah it looks like they winnowed off a lot of the artwork into that art book they're also selling

It's too rich for my blood to get both so I opted for the vinyl box (and also the little book cos it was only a tenner) and will probably just download a pdf of the big artbook. It's not the same as having it in hand but I'm not made of money, Thom Radiohead

EDIT on further look the art book is "only" £30...hmm...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

it's flat out weird imagining a non-godrich radiohead album

There probably is a reason they abandoned it, but it would be very interesting to hear

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't think those sessions really produced anything, hence why they abandoned them.

The Bends?

Ok, I guess I mean "modern Radiohead"

I should've said "now"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

Just me that absolutely adores that disc then?

Nah I really like it too

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Framboise posted:

My "SCARRY" Book arrived the other day. I wasn't expecting how bulky it was.

Happy to finally get it though. Now the only albums I don't own are Pablo Honey and The King of Limbs.

I got the TKOL special edition and it's fun as an art idea (no big box set, just a newspaper that is intentionally supposed to get ripped, brown and eventually rot to nothing) but not great as, y'know, an expensive special edition. Materialistically speaking.

I didn't pick up OKNOTOK, but kinda wish I did in hindsight, since once the HttT one comes out (if it comes out - I hope it'll come out) I'll have all the special editions (they'll never do one for Pablo Honey or The Bends)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BigFactory posted:

It also has that sheet of blotter paper

yeah wasn't thrilled about that either

didn't even come with acid

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That 3rd record of kid amnesia is really good

Yeah, actually really is. Some of it is maybe a bit throwaway, maybe (looking at u Follow Me Around lol), but I like the alternate versions of songs

The How to Disappear strings at the end made me spontaneously burst into tears

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Kid A mnesia Exhibition on Epic is amazing. I can't believe it's taken me this long to give it a go

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Recently got a PS5 and I'm going through the KID A MNESIA virtual exhibit now. It's really cool! Lots of old Radiohead artwork and what I'm assuming are sketches of Stanley Donwood's. There are several rooms with neat visual displays, too. It's free, so definitely worth checking out if you've got a PS5. Less focused on the music than I was expecting but still worth seeing.

Yeah it's amazing.

I got really emotional, I used to inhabit Kid A/Amnesia for a year or so back in the day, so it was really crazy to have the same experience in a virtual environment - that feeling literalised.

It also made me really grok the gap between then and now, and from what's in there it feels like Thom and Stanley do too

A very fond remembrance of a very particular time

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Weirdest one was when he contributed that song to the Twilight soundtrack

(it was a pretty good song too!)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

This is really good, chums

The last three tracks really work well together - Skrting on the Surface is a real masterpiece, too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I initially regarded AMSP really well but it fell off for me over the last few years since its release. It's a great album but it's something you have to be in a mood for with how slow it generally is. I wouldn't say this album is AMSP 2 either but there are elements that feel more in line with it than anything else. Fortunately it's slightly more upbeat in places to keep it from dragging too much.

The overwhelming mood of AMSP - at least as far as it seems to me is - is grief. And that's definitely not something most of us are feeling/wanting to feel, most of the time

EDIT

But I do get the comparisons. This album has a few more upbeat tracks, but so much of it similarly seems to be about dying/transcending/reincarnation/the general end of the world we're all living through

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I think I may have read somewhere that it's a bit of a Jonny solo project that got out of hand - is that accurate? I can see how that's the case, and how this band could form organically without the rest of Radiohead being marginalised –if you need some vocals for something and have Thom Yorke on speed dial, you're probably gonna make use of it...

I guess the counter to that is that songs like Free In The Knowledge and Skrting On the Surface are clearly Thom solo songs that have been floating around for awhile.

I would just guess that Radiohead are still pretty deep in the fallow period and everyone's doing their own thing. Ed did his album and had Phil on for a couple of songs, Phil had his own solo album, Thom and Jonny (who I always got the impression are particularly close) are doing their own thing...

Where's all the Colin action, though???

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I am happy for the people who are enjoying the Smile. I just miss Radiohead

I feel both. I'm enjoying The Smile but I miss Ed's wibbly noises and Colin and Phil's massively underrated rhythm contributions

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It definitely had a note of finality about it.

But then, so many things do, and as long as you're still alive, things change and new things happen. They could as easily feel a bit looser again, like how they came back from HTTT with In Rainbows, the Vibes Album

The Smile, though, that album is, if anything, even doomier than AMSP - though it has a lot of rebirth/transcendence vibes about it too, which AMSP didn't

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I never 'got' ANIMA until I watched the netflix video of the same name, then it totally clicked. I think that Not The News is lowkey one of the most beautiful songs Thom's ever made.

The album is still a dark, exhausting trip though. I don't listen to it often.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1SThsPMVo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Carwash oval office posted:

I’ve done a lot of highway driving the past month, so finally really got to absorb The Smile. It takes me time to get to love a Radiohead album, this one was no different, but I really really like it.

IMO, it feels like an alternate dimension follow up to OK Computer, where the band took the lessons learned from that and went in a more guitar focused direction, instead of the electronica route. It does not sound like old dudes just jamming, it is new and exciting. I love it

It's excellent and there are some absolute All Timers on it

Even for Thom it's extremely dark, though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1638960576322760714

:eyepop: I had no idea they were recording another one already. Hell yeah!

gently caress yeah

The last album was so, so good, my favourite non-Radiohead thing he's ever done, I think

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Donald Trump is 100% correct about everything except HTTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Does anybody care enough about hail to the thief to buy an anniversary edition of it tho

ME