Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

who the gently caress knows what any given Radiohead song is actually about but Tinker Tailor is striking me as pretty prophetic right now

fascism and nationalism came calling and we said yeah, now it's time for the descent

I saw a live performance of The Amazing Sounds of Orgy where Thom explained the origins of the song and it's crazy that they were writing songs about the 07/08 financial crash so many years before it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think his comments about the dangers of division were pretty spot-on, actually. The closing paragraph hits the nail on the head.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is this their first tour where they haven't played any new songs at all?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Pretty much. They recorded one song a day for two weeks live as a full band. Extremely minimal effects and overdubs. It was supposedly a super quick and easy album to make, and Ed O’Brien quipped that it was the only album they didn’t want to kill each other after making. Lol

Hasn't Ed also said (I think during an interview with him and Thom) that if they could do it again they'd cut a lot of tracks from HTTT? I can understand wanting it to be perfect but no matter what version you end up with it's going to be missing a lot of songs that are favorites for people and after hearing all the great b-sides from the rest of their albums I wish they'd show less refrain and put more of their recorded songs on releases. There's no universe where TKOL is a worse album for having those b-sides on the tracklisting.

AMSP is missing some great tracks as well. Cut a Hole juxtaposed with True Love Waits would have been good, especially given how beautifully Thom was singing it live.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of unconventional music in a live setting, here's Thom performing Bloom on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmL835q9To

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Thom disliked the electronic version when he was referring to the silly comments. That was the version they released as a b-side or whatever. The piano version that came later is the version he likes and turned out as-intended from what I gather, but I'm purely speculating here. The way he talks before playing the piano version about how the song got messed-up in the studio seems to validate my thoughts, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When I was younger it would have been songs like Just, Paranoid Android, My Iron Lung, You, Nice Dream etc. because I was a really big fan of Jonny's guitar work.

Nowadays it's songs like How To Disappear, Codex, Nude, Climbing Up The Walls, Reckoner, Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Burn The Witch etc. but to be honest I think everyone's favorite songs for this band would be different every day of the week. They have such a thoroughly diverse catalog that no matter your mood, there's always a bunch of tracks that scratch the itch.

actionjackson posted:

p.s. in the video for daydreaming why is thom's t-shirt so huge? tyia for your thoughts

Thom dresses weird sometimes. I watched a video interview between him and Zane Lowe (I think?) for his Anima album and he was wearing black leather pants and a whole mess of golden bracelets while excitedly talking about the health benefits of napping. Then there's this suit he wore with his new girlfriend for the Suspiria thing which I hope to one day see him dance in:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

New song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgyHOfV-i1k

I like it :)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

Kaedric posted:

https://breadnroses.net/

Go to an offsite that was created in reaction to the lovely moderation and nazis on SA instead of one created because people weren't allowed to be nazi enough, for a change.

WampaLord posted:

Anyone who wants an invite, just go to https://breadnroses.net/ and register, I will approve, let me know the username you select if it is different.

Also be patient if it takes a little bit, there is a queue I am getting through as quickly as I can.

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

Sharing this where I can in threads I like in the hopes more people know and more of the community can make it over. Things seem good so far :)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'll forever feel that way about Ful Stop and Identikit. The former was phenomenal live with the album version being very muted and not as magic, and Identikit still baffles me with the embarrassing singing over the synth solo contrasting the dull tone overall. Would adore good quality soundboard recordings of the original versions played on the King of Limbs tour, the album versions just had the life sucked out of them. Hopefully Cut a Smile makes it into a future album (feels like we'll be due one soon but who knows with Covid) and doesn't suffer the same fate because it's already perfect.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for that.

I wonder if the band is doing any writing for a new record right now while cooped-up during Covid? I think that the tour for AMSP was the first to not feature the debut of any new songs? Who knows if it was the last record or not but I have vague memories of members of the band saying they didn't want such a large gap between future releases and I think I read an interview with Thom somewhere talking about how he's starting to enjoy playing guitar again now as well.

I think expecting a new record during Covid is silly (and it will no doubt extend well into 2021 I'm guessing) which could leave us with the largest gap between albums from the band that we've ever seen. They were vocal that the gap between TKOL & AMSP made it hard to get started in the studio because of how long it had been so I hope that this doesn't break the band. Everyone except Colin has been busy releasing albums and soundtracks since AMSP but it seems getting them all together is becoming harder as time passes.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Honestly if there's one band I have faith in to create an album remotely and separated from each other it's Radiohead. I know one of the ways they've saved many songs is by simply passing them around until one member figures something out that takes it where it needs to be during isolation (Colin fixing Bloom, Jonny tackling Videotape alone etc.) so if they're recording things and passing them around, I can actually see the songwriting process progressing relatively steadily.

Plus, they'd probably be having fun with the experimental aspect of it as well. They'll have the gear at their homes to record their parts professionally, might just take a while sending things around for each member to listen to, discuss and then let the engineering/mixing/production take place when they've got complete songs. The only thing I wouldn't expect is much in the way of strings but Jonny's talented enough to passably fake it were he so inclined. Stanley doesn't need to be in a studio with them to do his thing either, although he's admitted it can be inspiring.

I think the main thing to look out for however is that Radiohead always establishes a new company prior to an album release to keep their finances tidy, so if we get news of some new company with a funky name (the one for AMSP was called Dawn Chorus iirc) then I'd take that as confirmation that they're getting ready to release something.

Edit: The new Deftones album might have been made during Covid? Not sure but the singer talked about finishing the record in isolation and band members passing files around and it's the best record they've put out in a long time, imo. Very different from Radiohead but also a lot of very different musicians with varied tastes and voices managing to complete a great record all separated (not just by the pandemic but great distance as well) and at the very least putting the finishing touches and re-recording takes in isolation. Is everyone in Radiohead still living in Oxford?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 26, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Puppy Galaxy posted:

There was an interview where Johnny referenced they placed some "limitations" on themselves for AMSP and I've always been curious as to what they were exactly.
I've suspected it was something along the lines of parts could only be executed 'live' - so the looping stuff on daydreaming, true love waits etc were maybe done on the fly by a band member and not pored over in a DAW? That at least tracks with how they played Daydreaming live. Basically, no programming.

I think you guessed right. According to Wikipedia:

quote:

Yorke had few demos and there was no rehearsal period. According to guitarist Ed O'Brien, "We just went straight into recording ... The sound emerged as we recorded." Instead of using computers, Godrich recorded the band to tape with analog multitrack recorders, inspired by Motown and early David Bowie records. This added creative limits, as rerecording a take meant first erasing the previous take. According to bassist Colin Greenwood, "It forces you to have to make decisions in the moment; it’s very much the opposite of having your album stored on a terabyte hard drive."

Some other interesting stuff on there, such as how the song for Spectre stopped the band in their tracks halfway through the record and those "limitations" didn't seem to apply to everything:

quote:

Work was interrupted by the recording of "Spectre", commissioned for the 2015 James Bond film. The film producers rejected the song, according to guitarist Jonny Greenwood, as "too dark". Godrich said: "That loving James Bond movie threw us a massive curveball. It was a real waste of energy ... In terms of making A Moon Shaped Pool it caused a stop right when we were in the middle of it."

For the introduction to "Daydreaming", Radiohead slowed the tape, creating a pitch-warping effect. Digital editing was used on many tracks; for example, Greenwood used the music programming language Max to manipulate the piano on "Glass Eyes". "Identikit" was developed from loops of Yorke's vocals recorded during the King of Limbs sessions. Drummer Clive Deamer, who had performed with Radiohead on the King of Limbs tour and appeared on their 2011 double single "The Daily Mail" and "Staircase", played additional drums on "Ful Stop".

Interesting how Identikit came about but makes sense given the sound. Considering they had played enough new songs live to nearly make a complete album in the first place it's interesting that they say they went straight into recording because Thom had few demos. They had a lot of new songs released or played live between the release of TKOL and AMSP. Would love to know why 'Cut a Smile' didn't make the album when given the themes it seems perfect, both lyrically and musically, especially when the track listing would have it precede 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits'.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

At this point I expect thom to move to la by the end of the year lol

Considering his strong stance on climate change I think the last place he'd want to relocate to is a state that's constantly on fire because of it. I get what you mean however and could see him one day packing his bags and heading off to Europe maybe. He seems to be in a really good place in his personal life after all he's been through and Brexit being what it is could have him thinking "gently caress this, I'm off" and relocating, both for the sake of his family and to avoid another breakdown.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It starts so beautifully with the flourishes accompanying the piano but that string work just after five minutes is so haunting and dark. The way they segue into something gentler as the dark rumbles of what I assume are Thom's voice are introduced is one hell of a way to end a song.

While AMSP isn't my favorite, the one-two hit of Burn the Witch & Daydreaming is a spectacular way to start an album.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The first three tracks on king of limbs are the worst ones on the album

There's a high quality version of Bloom that's mostly just Thom and a piano and it's beautiful. Didn't think it was possible but he nails it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

They’ve established a new company named “Spin With a Grin” with all five of them attached, similar to how they did just that with “Dawn Chorus LLC” just before A Moon Shaped Pool’s announcement. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13253649/officers

They've been doing this for a while now, I think since In Rainbows? Never been done this for a solo project so I'd say it's definitely something Radiohead-related and so far it's only been for new albums.

Also worth noting that AMSP was released five years ago as well, so now is around the time that they'd have a new album ready to go. I doubt Covid would have affected them much given that they're quite savvy when it comes to getting things done. Considering the current environment in the UK I imagine Thom's been very fired up and productive as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If I remember correctly, they establish these companies shortly before the albums are actually released, so I imagine there's a finished (or very close to finished) record ready and waiting to go.

I'm curious how they'll release it whenever it does arrive however. Given Covid it seems best to replicate the In Rainbows model (although they'll probably avoid pay-what-you-want this time) so they can release it without Covid really interfering with the process, and likely establish preorders for a special physical edition as usual for sometime in the future? I imagine their focus right now is on singles and promo videos, which they'll likely have to do without the band (which is no bad thing, the Burn the Witch video was excellent). Maybe the TikTok thing is related to the promo process?

I remember them saying in interviews after AMSP released that they didn't want such a long wait between albums again because it was so hard to get started with the recording process after such a long break, so I assume that they've been working on a new album for a while and it was due for release sooner, but Covid must have slowed things down and brought them to another five year gap. I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to release last year and they've waited until now for things to ease up for touring reasons. UK lockdown ends fully in June, not sure about the rest of Europe and the US but I'd imagine they have sights set on a tour starting late this year?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Would be odd to reissue Kid A or Amnesiac a second time.

We already had the original reissues with all the b-sides, alternate takes and live songs and they're fantastic. Why would they reissue them a second time? If they had even more b-sides I think that they would have been included on the original reissues?

Then again it's 2021 and nothing makes sense so I won't rule out anything.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

14 versions of Trans-Atlantic Drawl :twisted:

Genuinely curious what they were going for with that song but I assume it started as a companion to National Anthem (the bass, the horns) and then maybe just turned into a bit a joke track? Jonny even went back to thrashing guitars for that one which I think is the last time we've ever heard him really play in that style. They were probably giggling in the studio as they wrapped it up, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

They tend to reuse little phrases or names a lot, in ways that don't necessarily imply any direct connection between things.

It having been an Amnesiac interview isn't necessarily that significant. Think of all the weird Kid A era scrawls and fragments that have popped up again decades later.

This is true. The last album used Dawn Chorus for the company name, which ended up being a song on Thom's solo album years later. Probably was a track they were working on for AMSP and couldn't get to work at the time, though. The Xendless Xurbia (think I got that right?) name they used for the first company they established for the release of In Rainbows just riffed on OK Computer promo posters.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

So that's what the new company was started for, I guess they must have an album in the works? Curious what they'll sound like.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Didn't know that about the companies, such as there being a second one. The one with the whole band is odd since they usually set them up just before an album release but it's been a while now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

We already had so many extra songs with the special editions so seeing this announcement listing nine more is really exciting. I'm eager to see how they package this as well given the aforementioned b-sides previously released and the songs mentioned in the Tweet. Will it still be two separate albums that are both expanded upon or perhaps just one huge album/collection? They both flow so well already that it's difficult not to imagine there being enough bonus material to fill a third (maybe even fourth as well?) disc of accompanying tracks? Will be interesting if the track listing is rearranged.

Edit: Apparently a handful of tracks registered with ISRC were recently discovered and since deleted, so I'll put these in spoilers just in case:

Fog (Again Again Version) [2:25]

Follow Me Around [5:19]

The Morning Bell (In The Dark Version) [2:00]

Alt. Fast Track [1:32]

Untitled v1 [1:48]

If You Say The Word [4:22]

Untitled v2 [0:46]

Pulk/Pull (True Love Waits Version) [2:46] :stare: :stare: :stare:

How To Disappear into Strings [5:32] :swoon:

Like Spinning Plates ('Why Us?' Version) [5:04]

Untitled v3 [1:16]

Pyramid Strings [1:18]

Hedrigall posted:

I vaguely remember reading about the recording sessions for both those albums, something about them recording way more than they ever released or used. Like Idioteque's main sample of a few seconds was taken from several hours of electronic stuff they were loving around with.

I wonder what they could throw together out of all that unused stuff

This interests me as well. After the OKC minidisc leak I imagine there must be huge quantities of material from these sessions considering how much longer they were and how much experimentation was taking place. As unlikely as it is I think the pandemic will have been a good opportunity to pass files for unfinished tracks around between members of the band to work on and see what happens, although Thom & Jonny appear to have been preoccupied with The Smile.

I sometimes wonder about TKOL as well, and if there's a large amount of material from those sessions sitting around too. The album was so short despite taking so long to make and they were quick to release additional songs as standalone releases afterwards that were both similar in style and excellent to the point of it being unusual that they were cut from the album, so I can't help but wonder what kind of material was left unreleased from those sessions. They could already take what's released from that period and repackage it into a fuller album, but there must be some fascinating b-sides on a hard drive somewhere. Some songs (such as Thom's incredible piano rendition of Bloom) deserve a place among any bonus material as well.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 7, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

If You Say The Word is great and it's refreshing to like something 'new' from these guys without reservation

yes it's me I'm the guy who thinks Radiohead has been making middling innocuous music for the last 14 years

I find this interesting because when listening to the song it very much sounds like a natural progression from OKC. It sounds like a song that they may have worked on very early in the sessions to create a follow-up before going in the direction that brought us Kid A. I feel like 'If You Say The Word' would not be out if place were it actually added to the OKC tracklisting.

Edit: Just saw the post above and agree. Should have caught up with the rest of the thread before replying!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They had that phone app a while back as well where you walk around some odd landscape. I don't recall many details now, but I think Jonny coded it? Could be confusing that with him coding their recording software, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay yeah that looks familiar, I think I've seen that unmistakable interface on the screens of monitors in some studio photos.

As for the stuttering guitar effect, I thought that was the cutoff switch that Jonny modded into his telecaster? You can replicate the effect on some guitar pedals but whenever I've seen live performances and that effect occurs, if they're showing Jonny I always notice that he's mashing that button on his guitar.

The first example that springs to mind is old OKC-era performances on Jools Holland, I definitely remember seeing/hearing it in one of his solos for the Paranoid Android performance, albeit slower than the examples that you gave, but I imagine him really mashing the button would give exactly that effect if he hasn't switched over to doing it via pedal with simple on/off activation instead.

Edit: Thanks for linking that software, I've been exploring the site and it looks really fun to use, I'm keen to give it a whirl and tinker away with it when I get the opportunity. Not enough hours in the day!

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, I've come around to the reworking of True Love Waits but were it not for the real life events related to it I don't think that I would be as fond of the version they finally put on an album. A morbid take but it makes for a very powerful and tragic song in that context.

I still can't get into the reworks of Identikit and Ful Stop however. The former remains embarrassing (the silly vocals over the synth section) and such an unfortunate change from the superb version performed during the TKoL tour and although the latter is not as awful, it will remain a could-have-been after experiencing the original version live. The band has reworked songs for the better before but they do get some right the first time round.

Cut a Smile is an incredible song that would have been a bittersweet addition to the album but given what happened to Identikit & Ful Stop I guess it's just as well it didn't make the cut.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thom & Jonny covered a song off Third although I forget which now.

'These Are My Twisted Words' is also a really good and underrated track as well, reminds me of 'Silence' off Third.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pararoid posted:

Both the new tracks would have felt more at home on the OKC rerelease, not that I'm complaining at all.

Yeah, they definitely sound part of that era and stick out like sore thumbs alongside KA/A tracks. I was really hoping that there would be all sorts of unusual and interesting tracks that had been left on the cutting room floor since they seemed to produce so much content during that period of creativity, but it seems the prior reissues of the albums covered that with the bonus tracks included in those releases. It's a shame since there must be some gems hidden somewhere that won't see the light of day and while perhaps not finished songs I have no doubts they would be interesting and entertaining to listen to.

Pirate Jet posted:

Thom didn’t go on tour for Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes until Anima was almost out, I think a combination of horrible personal stuff plus Covid plus them being rich enough to not have to record when they don’t want to just has everything mega backed up. Radiohead may become a band that only releases a new album every decade but I prefer that in their old age compared to forcing themselves to keep putting something out every other year and all of it being impossibly boring

I enjoyed the period around TKOL a lot. The album was short but it seemed like they had a lot of extra material that they just released whenever. We got These are my Twisted Words before the album dropped and afterwards we got The Butcher & Supercollider followed by that great combo of Daily Mail & Staircase. It seemed like they were having fun just putting out songs however/whenever they wanted at the time which was exciting.

Volte posted:

I don't think any of their albums were primarily recorded in that studio. They've always moved around to different places, and I'm pretty sure Nigel has his own studio. My guess is they just didn't need that place anymore, especially if not everyone lives close by anymore. Ed said that he's sure there'll be another Radiohead album and that they were planning to tour in 2021 before COVID hit.

I think that studio is where they did Kid A & Amnesiac, with Stanley working upstairs while the band did their thing downstairs. If my memory of some studio pictures for In Rainbows are correct, that might have been recorded there as well? They've done work all over the place however and AMSP (much like OKC, I think?) was recorded in France, with some strings then being recorded in the UK. I forget when and for what album now, but I remember being surprised at them using some random celebrity's house in LA to record some stuff as well.

I wouldn't look too much into that house being sold, especially after AMSP and now Covid and the current political landscape I suspect the band would be dying to get out the UK and do any future recording abroad, and Stanley will always join them like he did in France for AMSP. Not sure about Ed however, I think he lives (or lived for a while) in Brazil?

They do have some material for a new album however. Skirting on the Surface & Cut a Smile are great songs that didn't make it onto AMSP and I'm sure that there's others as well. Not sure Spooks will ever fit on a future album, though :v: Would be fascinated to see them try however, with some kind of bizarre rework that ends up with a chaotic climax akin to National Anthem/Transatlantic Drawl, at least before the latter shifts so drastically in style.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

Skirting was played by The Smile this year although Jonny said he's not actually sure it will end up being a Smile song. By Cut a Smile I assume you meant Cut a Hole. I'd love to hear that one make it onto an album. Spooks was already used by Jonny on the Inherent Vice soundtrack though.

Thanks for the correction, I kinda had The Smile in mind while writing that and couldn't put my finger on why but it's probably because of that version of Skirting that they played, yeah. My memory of that performance is so vague now and it seems to be impossible to find anywhere but I do recall being really disappointed with their reworking of a song and it must have been Skirting like you said. The final album could be good but watching the stream as it was played was a downer, it sounded nothing like the song and really disjointed, iirc? It seemed to have a heavy TKOL vibe? I really hope that they don't tamper with Cut a Hole on any future album because it's already perfect, just needs a studio quality recording.

I don't remember Spooks from Inherent Vice but went and gave it a listen on YouTube and that's a really good reworking of the song. If it was longer and didn't have the voiceover it would have fit really well on AMSP imo. I'll link it below for anyone who hasn't heard it (the original version was played during the In Rainbows tour, I think? It was a surf rock song with a lot of energy) but remove the talking and extend this into a 4-5 minute instrumental? Would have been ideal on AMSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2NebxdGs4

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, none of the band actually seem to care much about all the meta-analysis and toying with fans.

Then why haven't they ever revealed what the man in the video for Just says at the end :colbert:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

First single from The Smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EB5NhI2RQQ

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think I read in an interview with Jonny that the album was close to finished and they were just choosing what songs to actually put on it. If they have songs that are left off the album I really hope that they release them as bonus tracks like In Rainbows did rather than shelving them.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/thesmiletheband/status/1506681727342850055

Might be interesting for anyone who has access and can listen? Thom & Jonny apparently talking about The Smile and Radiohead.

Interesting in the clip is hearing them talk about how they struggled a lot with Decks Dark and wanted to do it again until they heard it outside the album and used in some TV show (I have no idea what show) which made them appreciate it more.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Framboise posted:

I feel elements of Kid A, Amnesiac, and King of Limbs in here quite a bit too.

Definitely agreed on the Kid A & Amnesiac vibes, they seem to be scattered throughout the whole album to the point where some sounds are so similar it feels like this is almost a part 3 that has just been released much later rather than following the close releases of Kid A & Amnesiac when they came out.

Obviously the record stands on its own but there's multiple occasions where songs sound like they would fit and flow perfectly on either of those albums and therefore not at all be out of place having released back in 2002 as a follow-up to Amnesiac and that yearly release cycle they had.

Also maybe in the minority here but it's hard to not think of this as a new Radiohead album. I know it's a side project and I'm sure some songs would have turned out differently with the other members involved but it still sounds like the full band together, it's difficult to think of as a standalone side project compared to Atoms For Peace which did sound very distinct but this has so many elements of different Radiohead works scattered throughout that it does feel like a new record from them.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the counter to that is that songs like Free In The Knowledge and Skrting On the Surface are clearly Thom solo songs that have been floating around for awhile.

There's a Smile song which is absent from the album which a lot of people seem to be disappointed about, but I saw someone post a video of Radiohead jamming it live during their last tour (I think?) and it sounded a lot better with the whole band together performing it. Makes me wonder how much material actually started as Radiohead tunes. I think some old songs have finally seen release on Thom solo projects as well, haven't they? They must have a huge vault of material, especially when it can take such a long time for songs performed live to make it onto an album after it's been floating around for a decade or longer.

I vaguely recall an interview with Jonny where he talked about trying to finalize the track listing for the Smile record as well and I think he mentioned them having a lot of songs to try to cut down from. I might be remembering wrong but I think he implied they had recorded enough material to easily release two albums if they wanted.

Kinda surprised 'Cut a Hole' didn't make it onto the album but the Radiohead version is utterly perfect and I hope we get a studio version of it as-is one day.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That's definitely the video I saw, thanks for linking it. Had no idea it was a jam at the end of Talk Show Host, that's cool. It's neat to see how they can just jam out like that and Thom's little nod to Phil to end the song and everyone's on the same page, not just playing but paying attention to each other and clearly enjoying themselves too :3: Reminds me of the original version of Ful Stop and Colin walking over to Thom at one point with a bit of a confused look and Thom just raises his knee and apparently that answered whatever query Colin had because he then walked back to his usual spot. When I saw the song live Ed didn't even do anything, he just put his guitar down and danced on his side of the stage :3:

As for how much material they have I could be misremembering yeah, but I'm definitely not thinking of the Tweet you linked. My recollection is Jonny specifically mentioning which songs to include on the album and saying they recorded a lot but yeah, I'm not 100% at all on if I'm remembering right or maybe even mixing it up for something else. I think it was Jonny however and that he might have joked they had enough for a second album but I can't remember where I read the interview now :bang:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rammstein! I was thinking of Rammstein. Must have read articles/interviews about both bands the same day and got jumbled. My bad and Stev's confirmed what Thom said so yeah, that's me getting mixed up.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I really like Thom's guitar playing on that song, I hope we get a studio recording of it sometime. They were very eager to release singles so I guess it's too late to turn up as a b-side for one?

Those studio blackboard pictures are fascinating as well, there must be a huge amount of tracks in various stages of completion. I'm particularly curious about Morning Mi Lord just because of the funny name but it could have become Morning Mr Magpie for all we know.

Edit: Saw this was uploaded after watching the video linked above and thought it might be interesting for anyone curious, especially since someone mentioned earlier about The Smile being its own thing with no other material from elsewhere played but that seems to have changed now. I still can't get used to seeing Jonny playing a guitar that isn't a Telecaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCe_kBLkZY

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That Radiohead version is still my favorite, and I love all the noise added to the track as it progresses. The only part I'm not fond of is the "Reckoner!" section which is absent from Thom's version but aside from the interesting and familiar start it quickly becomes boring and fizzles out compared to the Radiohead version which is exciting and I'd argue didn't need much more work to have been album-ready. Then again people have expressed that they feel Hail to the Thief is too long already but drat would that version of FPABH fit well on that album nicely slotted between Punchup & Myxomatosis. Would have sat well alongside Bodysnatchers on In Rainbows as well imo but :shrug: