Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The guitars are so Sonic Youthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Hm. The album is only 53 mins long. They’ll have to pad out the setlist somehow right?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not a high bar lol.

Sorry, what? Are you one of those people whose favorite Radiohead album is the bends?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Thom Yorke’s solo and side projects, up until Anima, are pretty self indulgent releases. Excuses to tinker with beatmaking and minimal techno, but they feel like releases strictly for the fans (although Eraser does have a few standouts.)

After AMSP he has treated his solo efforts and side projects like they’re his main focus now, which is cool. Anima is a good album, it is still very much minimal techno but you can tell he put more work into the “texture” of the album.

What does it mean to be “self-indulgent”? He’s just making the type of music he likes? What would it mean for it to not be self-indulgent? Also “a release strictly for the fans” - firstly this is directly contradicting your prior statement about it being self-indulgent, and who is it supposed to be for it not “the fans”?

I for one cannot tell that he put any more effort into Anima than he did his other albums.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

King of Limbs is the culmination of Thom Yorke’s beatmaking. Slicing up and looping his bandmate’s playing to create awkward and tense polyrhythms.

Some really cool songs (some annoying loops though, like the drum loop in “Bloom”) but somehow that album is less than the sum of its parts. Wish they let that project cook a while longer. The “In The Basement” version feels like the kid who turned in his final draft too late, so he was graded on his first draft.

This on the other hand, I totally agree with.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess? It doesn’t seem any weirder than what’s found on Kid A or Amnesiac.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah but those albums are old now and Radiohead's output since Amnesiac has been much more accessible.

What does their age have to do with it? My point was that Thom’s solo stuff is quite similar to Kid A/Amnesiac, and therefore I’m not convinced that The Eraser is any less accessible than Kid A/Amnesiac. The Eraser came out before In Rainbows did. The only other Radiohead released in that span was HTTT. I’m not trying to be pedantic here, I just find it so curious how his albums have this reputation for being “out there” when they’re cut from the same cloth as those landmark albums that everyone knows/loves. Like, you can put Pull/Pulk on a Thom album, or you can put Black Swan on a Radiohead album. They are totally interchangeable aesthetics.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I downloaded Amnesiac (probably on Morpheus or Scour lol) but it was the entire album in one file so I only ever got as far as like, You and Whose Army? and it took me years to finally get fully into the album.

As far as Radiohead being dead and The Smile being the new Radiohead, I think that's a bit overblown. Even if Radiohead never records another full album together under that name, I think all five members are going to collaborating forever in one way or another. You might get a random track under a weird band name with 4 members, or all 5 will come together to record some song for a benefit album, or Phil and Ed will join Thom for a few tracks on a new Eraser album, etc. Sort of like The Beatles.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
HTTT is their white album. It’s a real hodgepodge and also represents their style in a transitional phase. Like the white album, it has some of their best and worst songs, and probably could’ve been trimmed.

Working backwards from there,
Amnesiac : Magical Mystery Tour
Kid A: Pepper
Ok Computer: Revolver
The Bends: Rubber Soul.

It also makes In Rainbows Abbey Road and TKOL Let it Be, which also fits imho

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess Thom's son Noah makes music now? It kinda bums me out that he's doing a bad impression of his own dad. Go find your own lane, kid :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This one is even more uncanny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAfwUpCBEcI

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

I had no idea his son was 22 holy poo poo my perception of time is hosed :stare:

Regardless, those two songs are quite frankly beautiful imo and for him to be making music like that so young is incredibly promising and exciting and it doesn't sound like a bad impression of his father to me. He's obviously very talented and has either self-taught while inspired by his father or via some wizardry Thom himself has somehow found time out from being a complete workaholic that is constantly touring and recording to teach his son how to sing incredibly well and be a multi-instrumentalist.

I put his name into Google and one of the first results was a Reddit thread highlighting people making GBS threads on him for daring to make music while being Thom's son and being a nepo baby and he comes across as a nice person, very humble and seemed to just want to put some music out and now feels the need to clarify that he'll always create but isn't trying to start a career. It's pretty sad to read, tbh.

Frustrations with nepotism are valid of course because it leads to so much bullshit that's harmful to society but this is just a young guy, barely out of his teens, making what I think is some great music that I'm glad I've discovered through this thread and I really hope that all the poo poo he's receiving off people (who even admit that they've had his songs on repeat because hey they're actually good) doesn't deter him from making more. I notice comments are turned off on the videos for those two songs which leaves me to suspect people really have been piling on and I wish people wouldn't be such shits to others when they're causing no harm.

Even if he was very directly ripping off his father, why would any fan of Radiohead/Thom or good music in general complain about that?!

Edit: Also goddammit the thread bump made me think another new Smile track dropped or the new album was officially announced and given a date :argh:

Yeah, I'm not making GBS threads on the guy at all, I just worry about it in the Jakob Dylan/Dhani Harrison sense. Just sounds like a potentially fraught road through life, unless you are very comfortable with yourself (for all I know those two guys are as happy as can be).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Check this one out, by Nick Hornby, the guy who wrote High Fidelity and a bunch of forgotten poo poo: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2000/10/30/beyond-the-pale

"Nick Hornby posted:

It comes as something of a relief, then, when you put “Kid A” into the machine and hear the fruity (and beautifully recorded) sound of an electric piano, playing a sweet, churchy intro. “Hey! I can handle experimentalism!” you think, but your confidence is immediately knocked flat by the lyrics of the first song, “Everything in Its Right Place,” which consists mostly of the lines “Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon” and “There are two colors in my head.” The title track is an inconsequential piece of sci-fi soundscape—five minutes of treated voice and eerie synth noises. “The National Anthem” is an unpleasant free-jazz workout, with a discordant horn section squalling over a studiedly crude bass line. Only once on the album, I think, does Radiohead come close to creating anything that electrifies in the way that great chunks of the previous two albums do: “Idioteque” is a twitchy, hypnotic nursery rhyme that you can imagine twenty-third-century children with two heads and green skin singing in their underground kindergarten. A whole album of that and “Kid A” could have been something—something you wouldn’t want to dig out too often, true, but something strikingly ominous.

The result is that there’s no room for anything approaching conventional pop music, and though the band might want to show us its impressive breadth of taste, it’s hard to understand why we should be any more interested in Radiohead’s version of Charles Mingus than we would be in its versions of Joyce or Fassbinder—many of these influences seem semi-digested, at best, and there is very little on “Kid A” that is remotely memorable.

Radiohead reportedly spent more than a year recording one song that it eventually decided not to include on “Kid A.” The album is morbid proof that this sort of self-indulgence results in a weird kind of anonymity, rather than something distinctive and original. (The CD pamphlet, incidentally, contains a splenetic attack on Tony Blair, who may feel entitled to ask himself how a band that spends a year failing to come up with an album track would have responded to the Kosovo crisis or the floundering Northern Ireland peace process.) Nobody is asking Radiohead not to grow, or change, or do something different. It would be nice, however, if the band’s members recognized that the enormous, occasionally breathtaking gifts they have—for songwriting, and singing, and playing, and connecting, and inspiring—are really nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, they might even come in handy next time around

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I would not suggest Kid A is a flawless album

We have a heretic amongst us. Apostasy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s so far away :(

Gorgeous art though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What is the significance of that?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Freaquency posted:

Weirdos who weren’t satisfied with TKOL convinced themselves it was just half of the project since it “only” had 8 songs on it

Ok, yeah, I do remember those rumors. And so because this new album is 8 tracks.... the theory is that Thom has taken those 8 songs from the TKOL sessions that they couldn't fit onto TKOL, the TKOL b-sides, A Moon Shaped Pool, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, Anima, or Amok and recorded a whole new album based entirely on those castoffs?

*Superintended Chalmers voice* Aurora Borealis!?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Answers Me posted:

The post-TKOL period of singles is really underrated. I've probably listened to Staircase more than any other RH track the past few years.

I saw some list on the internet that ranked all RH songs, and The Butcher was right near the bottom. That's when I really started questioning my reality.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/05/every-radiohead-song-ranked.html

Yeah sorry this whole list is violence.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think the trouble is that TKOL is so short that even a single track being mediocre can really impact the general feel of the album. There's three tracks on the album that I don't really care for, and so it doesn't really leave you with much. If you were to add in the b-sides and extra stuff like Staircase and Supercollider, suddenly those three bad tracks wouldn't have as much impact. This is essentially what happens with HTTT. I think everyone probably has 2-3 tracks on HTTT they don't care for, but because it's so long, there's still plenty to love and so its reputation remains fairly solid.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

King of limbs is way better than HTTT though. And there’s like 6 boring songs on HTTt

6!? Name them.

For TKOL I’ve never really enjoyed Mr. magpie, little by little, or give up the ghost. I sense that I’m way in the minority on those first two. The only other RH song where I think I deviate further from consensus is Let Down, which I’ve never liked much.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The rest of the album is mediocre to bad.

There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to Radiohead opinions. But this... this is a new one for me. FWIW I agree with you on The Gloaming.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Otis Reddit posted:

who else thinks amnesiac is the best one?

Pull/Pulk is the best song therefore Amnesiac is the best album.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a good version of the pre-ASMP Identikit on Youtube someone can share? I'm not sure I've heard it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
New Smile song dropped today. It's amazing. One of the most beautiful songs Thom/Jonny have written in a long time.

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-smile-share-new-song-friend-of-a-friend-announce-global-movie-theater-screenings/

edit: Oh poo poo I didn't realize the album is out in 2.5 weeks! When they announced it in November I just put it out of my mind that it was coming out anytime soon because the wait felt interminable.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 9, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hackers film 1995 posted:

friend of a friend bored me to tears.

are you one of the kids in the video?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I really like the new album a lot. It always takes me a few months to really wrap my head around RH/adjacent albums, but I like the cohesiveness of this a bit more than ALFAA. Despite these songs not being written specifically with the intention of making a record, it has a great flow to it. I think ALFAA is a great collection of songs with a sort of dizzying sequencing- it almost reminds of HTTT in that sense. And I think Friend of a Friend is a top 15 song from Thom/Jonny, which is saying a lot.

But they're both great and if RH never release another album at this point, I'll be very satisfied with more Smile.

edit: I Quit is one of the sexiest songs they've ever written.

edit2: I like this every bit as much as, if not more than AMSP and TKOL (which is a compliment, not a put down on either of those albums which are both bangers).

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
AMSP is the only RH album that I've liked less with time (The Bends too, I suppose). I keep revisiting it once a year or so. The first three tracks and Present Tense are all great, but some of the others are just really flat for me.

Wall of Eyes reminds me a bit of the recent Animal Collective album Time Skiffs, which is not AC's most experimental album, but it has these very long, extended grooves on it. Just check out the first track and I think the comparison will make sense. The songs on Wall of Eyes are on average a bit longer than usual, and I definitely think have a looser structure than what we're accustomed to from Thom/Jonny- the end of certain songs seem to just be improvisational. The sleepiness comments aren't a total shock to me, but I love this new album a lot.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

You've probably heard them but just in case you haven't I highly recommend the b-sides from the AfP singles that didn't make it onto Amok, they're excellent. Some other stuff floating around too. That was a really great side project and it's a shame only one album came from it.

Thanks, I'd never heard these Magic Beanz is great. I'm always chasing that high that I got from The Eraser. If you haven't heard this, you should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0Gdne3ON4

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Also I somehow missed, before, that Bending Hectic is describing some kind of car crash and it's so much more chilling now, and the first part keeps my attention better than it used to, knowing how it's going to end.

Same. It almost feels like a new Exit Music to me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I believe a ring modulator is what's used on the Myxomatosis bassline, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Volte posted:

I didn't get a W.A.S.T.E. email today (yet?), but he's doing a movie soundtrack so I imagine it probably has something to do with that.

It came out today. Mostly ambient. The song Knife Play is really beautiful, in the same vein as Codex or Dawn Chores. Thom is just unstoppable.