Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think they'd ever formally break up unless somebody dies (even then, who knows). They've always gone their own way after every album cycle until something draws them back together. They're as much a collective as a band and they all support each other. W.A.S.T.E. doesn't even distinguish between Radiohead news/releases and solo/offshoot stuff, it's all just part of the same larger thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think any of their albums were primarily recorded in that studio. They've always moved around to different places, and I'm pretty sure Nigel has his own studio. My guess is they just didn't need that place anymore, especially if not everyone lives close by anymore. Ed said that he's sure there'll be another Radiohead album and that they were planning to tour in 2021 before COVID hit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

They do have some material for a new album however. Skirting on the Surface & Cut a Smile are great songs that didn't make it onto AMSP and I'm sure that there's others as well. Not sure Spooks will ever fit on a future album, though :v: Would be fascinated to see them try however, with some kind of bizarre rework that ends up with a chaotic climax akin to National Anthem/Transatlantic Drawl, at least before the latter shifts so drastically in style.
Skirting was played by The Smile this year although Jonny said he's not actually sure it will end up being a Smile song. By Cut a Smile I assume you meant Cut a Hole. I'd love to hear that one make it onto an album. Spooks was already used by Jonny on the Inherent Vice soundtrack though.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 4, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Smile version of Skirting (Skating) on the Surface is in 11/8 time which is a bit weird to listen to at first but I got an audio rip of it and having listened to it a bunch of times, I do like it now that I can hear the rhythm properly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Kid A Mnesia just dropped here and the third disc Kid Amnesiae is pretty great despite my initial doubts when I saw the tracklist. Even though it is basically a lot of shorter snippets and a few full songs, it's sequenced and mixed as one continuous piece with no breaks between the tracks so it doesn't just feel like a grab bag of demos. It feels kind of like the soundtrack to an imaginary movie.

Also I always heard that Pulk/Pull was based on True Love Waits and I couldn't really picture how that would be but after hearing the version of True Love Waits on Kid Amnesiae, I'll never be able to unhear it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HD DAD posted:

Off the top of my head of what could be missing are their first attempts at There There, WIEAYB, and Wolf at the Door - maybe those will turn up eventually?
One of their early attempts at There There is in one of the pre-Kid A webcasts (available in the Public Libary). I'm not sure they would have really done anything more polished than that though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The most hosed up Radiohead song as far as the identifying the downbeat is by far The Butcher. It can easily take until the vocals come in to actually hear it properly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's really well done. I still have a ton of stuff left to see but I spent like 90 minutes in it this afternoon. The last thing I did was the room where, for lack of a better explanation, you float around inside How To Disappear Completely. Pyramid Song was next but I had to go out so that's where I left it. Definitely recommend playing (is that the right word?) with headphones.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The third disc of Kid A Mnesia makes a bit more sense now - I thought it felt like a soundtrack album when I first heard it, and now in retrospect, it feels like the soundtrack companion to the exhibition. It was cool that they featured True Love Waits and the piano take of Spinning Plates in the exhibition. Makes them feel more "official" and less like demo versions on a bonus disc.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think those sessions really produced anything, hence why they abandoned them.

Barry Foster posted:

it's flat out weird imagining a non-godrich radiohead album
The Bends?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know the history behind what you’re describing, but based on how incredibly inessential IR Disc 2 was, can’t we assume that they only have 10-ish viable songs from the era?
Yeah I think they played all the songs they were working on during the 2006 tour, including most of the IR Disc 2 stuff. A few of the songs we know they rehearsed at the time (like Burn The Witch) never saw the light of day but I don't think there's any indication that they actually recorded any of them. Given how early on they played the In Rainbows material live relative to its release, I don't think the hypothetical "alternate" versions would really be any different. More likely they would be bare-bones unfinished versions of the same songs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
IR Disc 2 has a lot of great stuff but it's basically a collection of B-sides, not exactly a cohesive album. And Last Flowers isn't even from the In Rainbows sessions, it's an outtake from the The Eraser.

It's kind of a pity the live version of Down Is The New Up never got recorded, as the studio version has kind of a primitive arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGmTQy1KhU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That one was one of my favourites from the Glastonbury stream and I like what they did with it in the studio. The brass section reminds me of King of Limbs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Interesting in the clip is hearing them talk about how they struggled a lot with Decks Dark and wanted to do it again until they heard it outside the album and used in some TV show (I have no idea what show) which made them appreciate it more.
They're talking about Ozark, which is Jason Bateman's show and used Decks Dark in the first episode

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It doesn't feel much like AMSP to me at all. If anything it reminds me of Anima in places. I really like it a lot. The Same in particular feels like it could fit in on Anima.

edit: Come to think of it, Open The Floodgates does feel like a cousin of Daydreaming

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 15, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A Hairdryer feels like something that could have been on King of Limbs and Amnesiac simultaneously

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The thing that tells me that this isn't just Thom and Jonny's post-Radiohead period is that they didn't put a single Radiohead song into the setlist (unless you dubiously count the few songs that Radiohead soundchecked or performed once). Contrast that with Thom's solo gig he did last month where he did a ton of Radiohead stuff, mixed with some Smile and solo tracks. If this was a "Radiohead is dead and this is what comes next" type of project, I don't think he would treat them as such clearly distinct entities. I can't say for sure that we'll see more Radiohead activity, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

There's a Smile song which is absent from the album which a lot of people seem to be disappointed about, but I saw someone post a video of Radiohead jamming it live during their last tour (I think?) and it sounded a lot better with the whole band together performing it. Makes me wonder how much material actually started as Radiohead tunes. I think some old songs have finally seen release on Thom solo projects as well, haven't they? They must have a huge vault of material, especially when it can take such a long time for songs performed live to make it onto an album after it's been floating around for a decade or longer.
The song in question is Just Eyes And Mouth and it evolved from the extended Talk Show Host ending jam that they introduced on the 2016 tour. It's not really the same song though, since the Radiohead "version" is really just Talk Show Host with the original baseline and drum groove, where as The Smile's song is a totally new song born from that one guitar riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfLBElBXq8&t=255s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mYfI6lJAA&t=30s

SUNKOS posted:

I vaguely recall an interview with Jonny where he talked about trying to finalize the track listing for the Smile record as well and I think he mentioned them having a lot of songs to try to cut down from. I might be remembering wrong but I think he implied they had recorded enough material to easily release two albums if they wanted.
I think you're misremembering there, I don't recall them ever mentioning having more material than they've shown. They mentioned a huge number of possible song orders:

The number in question is 13 factorial (i.e. the number of possible permutations of 13 songs, which is the number of tracks on the released album). As far as I know they've played all the songs they have live, including at their recent live shows when they introduced a new song. I wouldn't be surprised to see new songs introduced as the tour progresses though. Being a three-piece should make it a lot easier to introduce new stuff on the fly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGx1t3ZUvtU

They've introduced another new song called "Bodies Laughing", introduced as brand new but also notably present on the Radiohead studio blackboards from 2005 and 2006, so who knows if it's just a re-used title or actually that original song. It reminds me of Knives Out and Blow Out.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 24, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: Saw this was uploaded after watching the video linked above and thought it might be interesting for anyone curious, especially since someone mentioned earlier about The Smile being its own thing with no other material from elsewhere played but that seems to have changed now. I still can't get used to seeing Jonny playing a guitar that isn't a Telecaster.
Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses was released as a Thom solo track, but Thom and Jonny both performed on it and are credited with writing it, so I guess you could consider it "proto-Smile" material.

(There was an early Radiohead version though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_j6c21spck

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Jigsaw is literally the song that got me fully onboard into Radiohead when I heard it on Pandora (remember Pandora?)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The 06 live version has a great energy but that I don't think that kind of anthemic crescendo would translate very well to a Radiohead record, especially not on an album like In Rainbows. It would have ended up sounding like Coldplay or something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

Hm. The album is only 53 mins long. They’ll have to pad out the setlist somehow right?
They're already on a European tour right now so they've got it covered

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
$100 for tickets in 2022 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me (whether I would justify the expense is another matter). I just checked and when I saw Neil Young at Massey Hall in 2007, the tickets were $150 each for upper gallery seats.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My first concerts were The Band in 1991 and Dire Straits in 1992. I was only born in 1987, but my parents took me to a lot of concerts when I was very small.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, that's the song that Radiohead most likely worked on before the In Rainbows sessions. It seems to be about that bizarre UK phenomenon known as happy slapping which would date it to around 2005.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The headline is deeply misleading, I listened to the interview months ago and he just means the band is on hiatus at the moment (which is hardly new, they weren't together in 2013-2014 either). He specifically says towards the end of the interview that he's pretty sure they'll be back together at some point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sand Monster posted:

Did it go out on TV (with "loving" in the first line) like that?
It sounds like he said "he's a fat fuzzy mess" in the first line and later on he said "you sad man" instead of "you sad gently caress"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
8 songs and roughly 35 minutes. King of Limbs confirmed EP

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Looks like they're recording at Abbey Road.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Anima and The Eraser are both incredibly good. Not a big fan of Tomorrow's Modern Boxes or Amok.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think it's discount Radiohead or anything like it. The only time Radiohead ever really strayed in that direction were a few tracks on Hail to the Thief and Com Lag.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think a lot of what people ascribe to Thom getting weird with it is actually Nigel getting weird with it while Thom cheers him on and sings over top of it. Thom is a melody man in the end. Whenever Thom strikes out totally on his own, he's always just playing guitar and piano, maybe a loop pedal thrown in there. It's only when he's collaborating with Nigel that he starts with the skittering beats and loops.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
These Are My Twisted Words actually came out a couple of years before King of Limbs towards the end of the In Rainbows tour, but I consider it part of the TKOL era just the same. Thom did a cool 12-string acoustic version at his one solo performance last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97TkMUiCuY

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Bends is one of their best albums, but so are all the other ones

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think Radiohead is done yet. Phil recently said as much.

quote:

Clearly you have been busy making this great record of your own. So it doesn’t feel like the Smile is holding things up in terms of being able to get back to Radiohead?

SELWAY: No, it’s a mutually agreed and beneficial time away from the band. The band still very much exists, and we get together quite often and talk about potential future plans. But I mean we’ve been going nearly 40 years as a band. I think it’s really healthy that we have these periods away from it. When we do something again together, we know it will be for the right reasons, and it will have that kind of enthusiasm and excitement about doing it. So this whole process around all these other projects, that all feeds into it as well.
At some point they will have made their last album and played their last show, but I doubt they know any better than the rest of us when that point is.

I also think if Thom and Jonny had decided to leave Radiohead behind and just have The Smile be their band from now on, they'd be playing at least one Radiohead song at their shows. He's never been shy about putting Radiohead songs alongside his other songs in any other context, but with The Smile he hasn't touched their discography with a ten foot pole, even when they were clearly short on material and could have easily gotten away with some obscure B-sides or something. It's like he's going out of his way not to step on their toes.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They got tired as being known as "that band that won't play Creep anymore" so they started playing it again last tour. Thom also released a bizarre remix of it last year in 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRAGR91CHQ

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BigFactory posted:

I saw them play creep on HTTT tour. They didn’t play it never, just not often.
They played it very sporadically. Only about 25 performances between 1998 and 2016 according to setlist.fm, and then they started playing it regularly again during the 2016 tour with another 18 performances on the post-AMSP tours alone. Notably they retired it completely for the TKOL tour, many people assumed for good, so when they played it at one of the first shows of the AMSP tour it was a pretty big shock.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As far as I know (or can find online, including the Citizen Insane page on it) it's not related to any Radiohead song. It kind of reminds me of Lotus Flower a little bit but otherwise I can't hear any Radiohead song I know in it.

edit: the reference to the "earlier version" probably means the live versions from the 2009/2010 tours, as opposed to the 2013 release on the Amok album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwY0i8Q5Bdk

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The band has said they don't think HTTT is that good so I dunno if we'll see much fanfare. If anything I could see them releasing another "try" at it, a new tracklist and mix to make it fit together, but if anything that seems like something they'd put on Bandcamp or something and not a major anniversary release.