Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Jeb! Bush
Ben Carson
John Kasich
Jim Gilmore
Antonin Scalia
View Results

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so wait im not watching this, is Trump actually being stumped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i doubt trump drops a lot here, but i don't think he goes up at all either.
the real long-term effect to trump's campaign is saying things like "planned parenthood does wonderful work" and "george w bush lied about iraq" which are going to hurt him later on. he's not really earning any new supporters and every time he says some of that poo poo a small number of his existing supporters abandon him.

i don't think so, this might give the establishment guys a little more ammo but i don't think it will hurt trump's ability to draw in supporters much. his supporters don't care about statements like those

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zikan posted:

But 62% of Republcans think going into Iraq was right so they are very much in the minority

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2228

Remember that GWB has a 67% approval rating with Republicans

http://www.scribd.com/doc/287367315/10-27-15-Republican-Party-toplines

I don't want to unskew polls here but I feel like a significant part of that is a sort of feeling of team obligation, if that makes any sense. Dubya was a Republican, and Iraq was a Republican war, and we're Republicans, so we must be for it. But given a way out of that in the form of a Republican who's one of them and who is opposed to the war and to Dubya, I think a lot of that 62% would reconsider. If Trump gets the nomination there aren't going to be any Republican voters who stay home because they're such big fans of Dubya and Iraq and won't brook Trump's positions, is what I'm saying. The neocon plank of the party's official ideology has always been the one with the most tenuous direct popular support

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

...and yet he still claims he'll build a wall on the Mexican border, bomb the Middle East back to the Stone Age, and viciously insult anyone who disagrees with him.

He's still an unlikable rear end.

Lots of intermittent, poorly educated, low income white voters out there that agree with all that 100%. That will be an even bigger strength in the general than in the primary, because that pool of voters is not strongly ideological and grabbing them doesn't cost Trump anything in terms of core conservatives

• Locked thread