Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Caught Mr. Clinton trying not to smile from ear to ear on CNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Obama like "hell yeah I'll nominate a replacement and I'll get them confirmed too"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

They're going to play up how it isn't faaaaaaaaaaaaair that Obama got to nominate all these Supreme Court Justices just because that's what the American People elected him to do, twice.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

This is the absolutely salient point when it comes to the right.

Nothing makes sense on that side of the aisle. Nothing.

It's a party predicated on the idea that in order to demonstrate your commitment to rational self interest, you must unwaveringly vote against your own interests.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

gohmak posted:

So altruism at its core?

I guess the destruction through incompetence and neglect of America's economy, infrastructure, core political values, and culture is a kind of global altruism when looked at it from an outside perspective.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

How many innocents have been executed because Scalia believed it's what the founding fathers would have wanted? When we're done mourning them we can mourn him.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I do love that "colorful" has become the euphemism I've noticed most when Democrats want to quietly throw shade on Scalia.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

Just want to point out that this guy was morbidly obese and he lived to 79. He died on vacation with friends. It's the best ending he could have hoped for.

He died doing what he loved: slaughtering the defenseless.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm sure there will be some tea party leaning congressmen who will refuse to vote for ANYTHING Obama wants to do until a full investigation is called into the circumstances surrounding Scalia's death.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

History is littered with personable monsters.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I'm loving the conspiracy theorists that are piping up and saying Obama offed Scalia based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever and despite knowing he was old, out of shape and a smoker.

I guess it makes sense to kill him at almost the end of his term, leaving him with only a few months to try and push his agenda onto the court and despite knowing the drawn out shitfest that comes along every time Democrats try and get a judge vetted.

He could have taken his life live on national television after delivering a monologue about how this was his decision and his alone, and they would have still blamed it on Obama.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

When was the last time a supreme court justice died within a year of an election and was not replaced before the next president had settled in? The last time a justice died more than ten months before an election and had their seat respectfully left warm for that period? McConnell et al seem to be leaving out the actual precedent in their argument about precedent, even if you ignore Kennedy being nominated within a year of the election.

Despite all their bluster, establishment Republicans know they aren't winning the presidency this year, so can you imagine how hard they're going to backpedal if Bernie wins the nomination? They won't be able to get Obama to propose nominees fast enough.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Radish posted:

You can say pretty much the same thing about any horrible, yet competent person. I'm not sure why some people want to keep pointing out that Scalia was good at being so awful like it's some kind of positive quality and we are losing anything of real substance (beyond legal navel gazing) with his removal from the bench.

Like if we get more rights for minorities, no union busting, and cleaner air but it's at the cost of his brilliant legal prose and assholish yet sick burns at people he considers idiots in his dissents I think we don't have to really act that it's such a terrible thing.

It's the modern equivalent to all of those people opening about the subtle genius of the Desert Fox.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

he may have been a huge bloated corpse of a man but really, who can deny that we are poorer for having lost a figure so skilled at blatant hypocrisy

Well every law school professor says he was a brilliant jurist; a million idiot adjuncts can't be wrong.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This could honestly be what sinks the republicans this election. If they obstruct a decent moderate candidate for too long it'll make them look utter like idiots.

I really want the dems to start calling the republicans out for what they are: the modern incarnation of anarchism.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

moderates don't really exist

You know how no matter horrible or obvious a question is on a poll there is still a good 20% who don't know where they stand on the issue of fuckmurder? Those are your moderates. And when they do vote they always vote republican because hats the party with no ideological consistency at all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

His family declined autopsy, so I mean who's to say? Might just be a decoy corpse. But to what end, I wonder?

They're afraid of being put in one of Obama's death camps.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

How hard would the senate judiciary committee to scramble to get whomever Obama wanted confirmed if we are looking at a Hillary/Trump race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Scalia based his entire judicial career on his claim on the ability to read the thoughts of dead men, so this isn't entirely out of line with his character.

• Locked thread