Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I think that the legalistic wishes are actually multiple wishes, because they have "and" in them.

I wish I could be transported back in time to the year 1999. I wish I could have my mind transferred into my 1999 self. I wish I could have that whole process repeated any time I like just by drinking a can of diet RC cola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Celot posted:

I think that the legalistic wishes are actually multiple wishes, because they have "and" in them.

I wish I could be transported back in time to the year 1999. I wish I could have my mind transferred into my 1999 self. I wish I could have that whole process repeated any time I like just by drinking a can of diet RC cola.

Have you ever read the Kurt Vonnegut novel "Timequake"? Everybody in the world has their consciousness sent back 10 years in time, only to realise that their actions are deterministic and that they repeat every action they had previously done, step by step, with their consciousness not directing matters.

If at any point you drank a can of diet RC cola since 1999 that wish also leads you into an infinite and eternal time loop, where you observe the actions taken between 1999 and your can of cola, powerless to do anything. Forever. (This will happen anyway, even if you didn't drink the cola, as your deterministic body makes the same time loop causing wish in 2016, over and over again.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That only works as long as 'you' exist and 'what I'm satisfied with' doesn't change at all for any reason though. Hence you might get a forever groundhog moment where time as we know it just stops because neither you nor the universe are allowed to change, or you might die immediately and your wish gets corrupted right afterwards.

That's a good point, so in that case I should instead say "Ensure that, given a full understanding of the ultimate results of the wish and its consequences, I would be happy as I am at present (so the wish can't change "what makes me happy" to "killing a million people" or something)."

I can't really think of how that could go wrong. If I knew that there would be undesirable results at some point (including "me being unhappy about the wish in the future", since that would be one of the consequences of the wish), I wouldn't be happy with the outcome of the wish. And the wish can't change what I would be satisfied with since I'm specifying that it must be me as I am at present (if it changed how I felt it would no longer be "me as I am at present). It can't do something like freeze time, since I would obviously not be think positively of such an outcome.

Celot posted:

Ah, this is an interesting limitation to impose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd look him/her in the eye, smirk like I know something they don't, and not ask anything.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Waiiiit! Before you hit "reply" to answer with a sarcastic quip, give it a moment to think.

NO! I want a BILLION dollars!!

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I would wish for a logical impossibility, like that A equal not A, just to see what the gently caress would happen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Izzhov posted:

I would wish for a logical impossibility, like that A equal not A, just to see what the gently caress would happen.

You'd be forced sit still for a couple of days while a bored math professor delves into the depths of set theory and fuzzy logic* with you. :v:

*this actually exists

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How about a 100kg cube of gold to appear, flush to the ground, right here on top of this X I made.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

my dad posted:

You'd be forced sit still for a couple of days while a bored math professor delves into the depths of set theory and fuzzy logic* with you. :v:

*this actually exists

that's true, and it's me. math can be quite fun, you know. let's get started on our mathemagical journey. paraconsistent logics - what are they? it's actually not what you think, r

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

solaranus posted:

How about a 100kg cube of gold to appear, flush to the ground, right here on top of this X I made.

Your mouth fills with a sour taste as the air in front of you is bombarded with the perfect mix of high energy protons and neutrons to transmute 100kg of it into elemental gold.

Your acute radiation damaged organs should continue to function for sixteen hours or so, so you'd best get to spending.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I'd wish everquest was real

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

KingFisher posted:

I'd wish everquest was real

Nothing changes, because the game was published, etc.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Izzhov posted:

Everything and nothing happens. Your brain is no longer organized in such a way that you can experience it because gravity and electromagnetism have no compelling reason to stay consistent

Matoi Ryuko posted:

NO! I want a BILLION dollars!!

Zimbabwe dollars

My wish is for 3 wishes from the genie with the same rules as the wish I was given. Then, I wish to know how to make a genie wish that specifies my CEV. Then my third wish is whatever I think of after that. Have at it.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 24, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Every nuclear warhead in the world to become an equivalent mass of platinum.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Every nuclear warhead in the world to become an equivalent mass of platinum.

Generally speaking, I think we can be sure that any transmutation of atoms from one element to another is going to mean huge nuclear explosions and possibly nuclear winter and that whole EMP shebang that I've heard about.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
What about just a wish for omnipotence? No more wishes needed.

Never omniscience though. That poo poo would be bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrSunshine posted:

Waiiiit! Before you hit "reply" to answer with a sarcastic quip, give it a moment to think. It's actually kind of a fun thing to ponder if you're nerdy and have your head in the clouds all the time like me.

Let's assume we are confronted by a malicious genie, demonic being, or some sort of Monkey's Paw. You get one wish. The problem is that the wish-granter will always do its level best to take your wish as literally as possible, and to enact your wish in a way such as to cause you harm or misfortune.

What would you wish for, and how would you frame your wish in a way such that it could not be misinterpreted?

I submit that I would say something like "I wish that you would give me infinite wishes interpreting them in a way in accordance to my intention rather than maliciously." Would this work? What do you think?

I'd wish for the genie to spend his time inconveniencing all the rich people -- the richest they are, the more inconvenience they have to suffer, and no one can be inconvenienced as long as a richer person exists that has not been already inconvenienced.

I figure if the genie is malicious and wants to inconvenience me, at least he'll have to first make me rich in the process.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stinky_Pete posted:

Generally speaking, I think we can be sure that any transmutation of atoms from one element to another is going to mean huge nuclear explosions and possibly nuclear winter and that whole EMP shebang that I've heard about.

Even if we accept the theory of nuclear winter as gospel - and there's reasons to be a little skeptical that it would be quite as apocalyptic as Sagan and friends told us - even the old TTAPS model relied heavily on the premise that nukes hitting cities would ignite super-firestorms that would inject mass quantities of microscopic particulates into the upper atmosphere. That particulate debris is what would have blocked sunlight and caused the nuclear winter, but with most nuclear weapons sitting in underground silos or underwater submarines many miles away from urban centers, it's very unlikely we'd see a nuclear winter arising.

EMP, if it occurs, will only be an issue in areas immediately surrounding the nuclear warheads. The "omg the bad guys will cripple Amerikkka with an EMP!!! :supaburn:" scenario only applies to nuclear weapons detonated at very high altitude or low orbit above the earth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stinky_Pete posted:

My wish is for 3 wishes from the genie with the same rules as the wish I was given. Then, I wish to know how to make a genie wish that specifies my CEV. Then my third wish is whatever I think of after that. Have at it.
The second wish turns you into Eliezer Yudkowsky. You then either have to use your third wish to no longer be Eliezer Yudkowsky or get a wish but remain Eliezer Yudkowsky.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

The second wish turns you into Eliezer Yudkowsky. You then either have to use your third wish to no longer be Eliezer Yudkowsky or get a wish but remain Eliezer Yudkowsky.

gently caress. jk he seems like a self-actualized person who enjoys his life not the worst malicious genie outcome imo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd wish for the genie to fulfill its own deepest desire

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The entire middle eased is immediately reduced to a temperature of zero kelvin, condenses into a single, infinitely dense ball of Bose-Einstein condensate, and destroys all life on earth.

Inshallah

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

OwlFancier posted:

The entire middle eased is immediately reduced to a temperature of zero kelvin, condenses into a single, infinitely dense ball of Bose-Einstein condensate, and destroys all life on earth.

Worth it!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd wish for the genie to be benevolent towards human life rather than malicious.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1 posted:

I'd wish for the genie to be benevolent towards human life rather than malicious.

The genie will now protect all cancer cells from danger forever.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

paragon1 posted:

Unburdened by human survival instinct and emotions the genie decides that the nicest thing he can do for humans is to erase them from existence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'd wish for the next thing I say to be completely, 100%, totally true.

Then I'd say "I'm lying."

What NOW, Mr. Floaty McGeniepants?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd wish for the next thing I say to be completely, 100%, totally true.

Then I'd say "I'm lying."

What NOW, Mr. Floaty McGeniepants?

"Yes"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Unburdened by human survival instinct and emotions the genie decides that the nicest thing he can do for humans is to erase them from existence.

If we have a genie that has just decided that words don't mean anything, then yeah sure. It's Wishmaster 3 levels of wish interpretation though.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I think if we're to figure out how to best the Genie, maybe we should look at the consequences of more "naive" wishes. As a case study I'd like to look at what would happen to Skee-Lo, were he to encounter such a being.

We know that, as mentioned previously in the thread, if he were to be made a little bit taller, his spine would be painfully dislocated. Here are the remaining wishes:

I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
And a '64 impala

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Octatonic posted:

I wish I was a baller
You get turned into a kitchen implement for cutting melon. You remain sentient but cannot taste the melon.

quote:

I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
She looks good but is in fact evil.

quote:

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
Mugged and beaten by furry armed with stick.

quote:

And a '64 impala
Gored by 6'4" antelope.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On a more serious note, I think paragon1 has the best approach. Instead of skirting around the problem of the genie being malicious, his wish tackles the problem head-on.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

You get turned into a kitchen implement for cutting melon. You remain sentient but cannot taste the melon.

Mugged and beaten by furry armed with stick.

Personally I figure that his girl that looked good he called would probably have him arrested for stalking, and his basketball career would be a poo poo contract in Lithuania, but I hadn't considered Mellon Ballers or Furry Muggings. Very nice.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

my dad posted:

On a more serious note, I think paragon1 has the best approach. Instead of skirting around the problem of the genie being malicious, his wish tackles the problem head-on.

It makes assumptions about what a genie would consider benevolent. Views on morality differ wildly between humans, who knows what a mystical genie would consider good and kind? Maybe it's got an honour based code of morality and kills a bunch of people to preserve their honour. What if it's a nihilist and thinks that whether or not life exists at all doesn't matter and sterilizes the universe to end the inevitability of suffering?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Late one night in early 2015...

Reince Priebus clutched the monkeys paw in his hands. The old gypsy woman he bought it from said it granted wishes, and right now he needed a wish.

"Don't let Hillary win against Jeb Bush," he whispered to the paw. Lightning crashed out of the clear sky, and the ground shook for a moment. Then all was still. And softly at first, he began to hear a chant in his mind.

Trump Trump Trump

A single tear rolled down his face as he clutched his head, the chants deafening. He wondered who was laughing until he saw his twisted reflection in the mirror.

And the next morning, when he returned to that flea market, the gypsy woman was gone, and no one whom he spoke to could remember her or her tent.

:spooky:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

It makes assumptions about what a genie would consider benevolent. Views on morality differ wildly between humans, who knows what a mystical genie would consider good and kind? Maybe it's got an honour based code of morality and kills a bunch of people to preserve their honour. What if it's a nihilist and thinks that whether or not life exists at all doesn't matter and sterilizes the universe to end the inevitability of suffering?

Well if I have to define morality for the loving thing then I'm just going to wish that it not exist.

And another thing, my wish was for the genie to be benevolent, not free of its lamp and able to do whatever the gently caress it wants.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Besides everyone knows djinn are Muslim.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

my first wish would be making sure all the rear end in a top hat moves he pulls are loving hilarious to people that aren't the genie

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

First wish: yo genie take a listen to this sick rear end mix tape up whipped up boom tss boom tss ah yeah i'm gonna make it big some day
Second wish: sup genie, come take a hit of this poo poo it's really dank. hell yeah that's the good stuff, gently caress the police
THird wish: hey uh, genie can i like crash on your couch for a week or something my landlord evicted me because my dog got loose and pooped all over the hallway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet dweeb: My first wish shall be predicated on the conditions that you use these extensive and accurate descriptions that I will describe thusly, firstly that--
le me: lmao genie i wish this dorklord had hsi balls on his forehead

• Locked thread