Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm not a genius, but I'm pretty sure a dead person can't force a living person to drink.

drat you sure do got a point there dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
it's natural to feel negative emotions if someone commits suicide. you aren't wrong for being bitter for a while, either. but try to keep your feelings constructive. if the depressed person needed to take responsibility for their state of mind enough not to kill themselves, does it not follow that the alcoholic needs to take responsibility for their drinking?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
honestly it's probably best not to think of emotional states in terms of who has earned them or whatever, it's best if everyone can just try to be healthy and usually that doesn't involve intimate long term grudges against the dead

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought this thread title said "I just got let out of a menstruation after 5 days" and I was very confused

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

does it not follow that the alcoholic needs to take responsibility for their drinking?

They do, and luckily my mother overcame her drinking problem for the most part. They slip a little sometimes. My Grandmother unfortunately was taken by breast cancer but at least they weren't destroyed by their addiction.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Like I got sympathy for someone with depression. Like Alcoholism you can be there for someone with depression and help them get through it, but sometimes their disease consumes them.

You can't help someone overcome their suicide problem.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Hey OP this is your subconcious bleeding into your dreams in order to get through to you. YOU ARE DRUGGED IN THE INSTITUTE STILL.

WAKE UP

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

well I aint your dad or your therapist but if you fantasize about suicide and have a specific plan it sounds like you could use some help

I fantasise about it all the time but thanks to heavy SSRIs I probably wouldn't do it until my life goes dramatically downhill. I should probably shrug off the ennui and actually apply for jobs that will further my career instead of staying in a lovely contract analyst job though.

Also, why didn't you wait for Dark Souls 3 before doing anything? I keep myself going by thinking about dumb things I look forward to seeing play out in the short term.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rakosi posted:

Hey OP this is your subconcious bleeding into your dreams in order to get through to you. YOU ARE DRUGGED IN THE INSTITUTE STILL.

WAKE UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMMMf0Du5EI

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Unfortunately people will forget about you and your pain and next time will treat you less seriously op, cause people are selfish and dumb. Don't rely on anyone elses support unless you really do wanna die

In which case they'll forget you anyway. Hang in there tho

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Putty posted:

i thought zapping sad people was outlawed for being inhumane a long time ago

nope, you get cool general anesthesia and a muscle relaxant so you go to sleep and wake up ten minutes later feeling chill and smiley. the doctor puts two probes on your dome and zaps you for a few seconds, triggering a seizure in the brain for a few more seconds. this is a good thing for some unknown reason. im on a fraction of the drugs i was taking previously and i feel very stable and grounded and happy. im glad i finally let them talk me into it, it's typically a last resort because of the risks associated with general anesthesia (side effects from the brain zaps themselves are just fuzzy memories and stiff muscles) but if you're taking a million pills and still constantly trying to unfuck your life by hitting the cosmic off switch, a handful of brain seizures and forgetting what you watched on tv last night ain't the worst idea in the world (=

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gatekeeper posted:

nope, you get cool general anesthesia and a muscle relaxant so you go to sleep and wake up ten minutes later feeling chill and smiley. the doctor puts two probes on your dome and zaps you for a few seconds, triggering a seizure in the brain for a few more seconds. this is a good thing for some unknown reason. im on a fraction of the drugs i was taking previously and i feel very stable and grounded and happy. im glad i finally let them talk me into it, it's typically a last resort because of the risks associated with general anesthesia (side effects from the brain zaps themselves are just fuzzy memories and stiff muscles) but if you're taking a million pills and still constantly trying to unfuck your life by hitting the cosmic off switch, a handful of brain seizures and forgetting what you watched on tv last night ain't the worst idea in the world (=

jesus

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

the Lord and savior was indeed an early recipient of this fascinating treatment, as was ernest Hemingway and your mother

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Did they play any elaborate pranks on you, like Shutter Island?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gatekeeper posted:

lol brains are fuckin unimpressive as hell

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

nooneofconsequence posted:

They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; that only a madman could be guilty of it; and other insipidities of the same kind; or else they make the nonsensical remark that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.
Please try to understand that suicide is a tragedy for all parties involved, no matter who you are.
Air - "Suicide Underground"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Bqu81QrIA&t=2080s
from the Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

Thanks for playin' it safe and keepin' it real.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mirrors are more fun than television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish I was dead but the stigma around suicide is so strong that I fear my family will become social outcasts amongst the community. So I'm going to make my hanging look like a wanking accident. Orange up my arse, pair of panties in my mouth, the whole nine yards. At the wake my dad can hold his head high and say, "At least it wasn't suicide."

I'm thinking about going a bit more abstract too.

Self inflicted gunshot whilst on a sex chatline.
Jumping in front of a train as I browse redtube on the phone.
Look at the sports bra section of a catalogue and a peanut allergy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah I was kind of horrified to discover they still do it but apparently it does work :shrug: I can't get it because I'm diabetic so my poo poo body has doomed me to having a poo poo brain forever and probably vice versa.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
voted 5

this is nearly goldmined. should be too

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
There are a lot of old banned psychiatry practices centered around damaging the frontal lobe (lobotomy, insulin shock), but ECT is actually useful and relatively safe.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Please try to understand that suicide is a tragedy for all parties involved, no matter who you are.
Air - "Suicide Underground"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Bqu81QrIA&t=2080s
from the Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

Thanks for playin' it safe and keepin' it real.

I like this cause a lot of people get no real help or empathy and when they die its like, oh man doesn't he know he hurt us all, how selfish.
You can be dead and still blamed for depression, lol

5 for depression and desth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I like this cause a lot of people get no real help or empathy and when they die its like, oh man doesn't he know he hurt us all, how selfish.
You can be dead and still blamed for depression, lol

5 for depression and desth
its actually insanely selfish to tell suicidal people not to kill themselves because you're putting your wishes above theirs.

when i told my girlfriend that she got angry for some reason though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

the lady who plays leah from star wars gets it regularly because she's loving nuts.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

its actually insanely selfish to tell suicidal people not to kill themselves because you're putting your wishes above theirs.

when i told my girlfriend that she got angry for some reason though.

because its insanely stupid. thinking about a persons friends and family isn't selfish its literally the opposite hth

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 9, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Well I'm going back on pills. Not gonna kill myself, thought you'd like to know OP. Stay strong Looney Goons.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

ChogsEnhour posted:

Well I'm going back on pills. Not gonna kill myself, thought you'd like to know OP. Stay strong Looney Goons.

it takes a strong man to beat his brain into submission. respect brother

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man Whore posted:

because its insanely stupid. thinking about a persons friends and family isn't selfish its literally the opposite hth
when u think about it, you're telling someone not to do something they think is best for them because it will have a negative effect on you. For example, a friend of mine recently moved out of the country for his career + wife and I would not have told him not to go purely because I'll miss going to the pub with him at weekends.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when u think about it, you're telling someone not to do something they think is best for them because it will have a negative effect on you. For example, a friend of mine recently moved out of the country for his career + wife and I would not have told him not to go purely because I'll miss going to the pub with him at weekends.

and if your friend wanted to jump off a cliff instead of move to the country you'd be ok to tell him not to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man Whore posted:

and if your friend wanted to jump off a cliff instead of move to the country you'd be ok to tell him not to.
I did once but I recognise I was treating him as a means to an end instead of respecting his autonomy.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

his autonomy to poo poo all over everyone around him. I have the autonomy to go down the street making GBS threads all over everything and setting cars on fire but its against the law to do it and I'd be an rear end in a top hat for it.

You are free to do anything but your actions have consequences.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

In fact its selfish not to talk someone down. If you were the only person who knew that a person was going to kill himself and let him do it anyway out of some ideological bullshit about autonomy. You are inflating your own ego and letting that persons friends and family deal with the fallout. And when that persons brother or sister hits the bottle to deal with their grief, are you just going to let them drink themselves to death because its their decision? Even as they hurt their kids and drive their already grieving parents into an early grave?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

his brother has Asperger's so I'd just tell him he's re-rolling his character for better stats and the kid would probably understand.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

drat thats a good idea

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
one of my friends killed himself five years ago and honestly to this day i still kinda wonder if there was anything i could have done for him

but i don't hold a grudge against him or anything, that'd just be weird. he was cripplingly depressed and i wouldn't wish the constant psychological torture he went through on my worst enemy

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my parents put me in the instutiton after they heard me listening to the new "ragin' daddies" album, they said it was "satanic " :rolleye:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Electroshock therapy sounds like just a highbrow version of kicking a noisy machine to make it run "right".

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

BigBoss posted:

Are you in any way obsessed with the concept of irony? Do you try to channel it constantly until your thought process gets really bizarre?

Have you now, or have you ever been, a member of the communist party?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
How did you try killing yourself? Burnt goon set a pretty high bar so you probably won't become a GBS superstar unless you brought your A game.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Man Whore posted:

his autonomy to poo poo all over everyone around him. I have the autonomy to go down the street making GBS threads all over everything and setting cars on fire but its against the law to do it and I'd be an rear end in a top hat for it.

You are free to do anything but your actions have consequences.

Boo ho, it's not your life. Get over it control freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Demonachizer posted:

How did you try killing yourself? Burnt goon set a pretty high bar so you probably won't become a GBS superstar unless you brought your A game.

Whenever I burn myself I weep. Not because of the pain. But because I'll never reach the standard set by Enfield.

• Locked thread