Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TylerHendrix
Jul 11, 2012

bad things
Hi, there. I'm Tyler. You might know me from my webcomic, Shitfest, or you might know me from Sam K's LP's. Or possibly from Bob's stream of Until Dawn.

I've had a lot of fun in the past doing LP's with friends and watching other people do LP's, and I've wanted to try my own hand at it for a while. But I also have social anxiety and can be very self-conscious if I'm around people I don't know well, or if I'm put into a situation where a lot of attention is placed specifically on me. I'm using this as an excuse to try to help improve my self-esteem and my abilities to cope with anxiety.

I've never played any of the Earthbound games before, despite having heard nothing but good things for the longest time, and I like basically everything I've learned about them over the years. I heard that they're all very charming, easy-going games, so I thought one of them might make for a nice, chill first solo LP. And I figured there's no better place to start than with the very first game.

Also, I'm running this on the only computer I own, which is a $300 Acer laptop, so I'm barely able to squeak by with 480p video, but if you have any tips on how to improve settings or anything like that for a low-end computer, I'm all ears. Or if you have any advice about anything at all, really. This whole thing is meant to be a learning experience for me on basically every level.

Anyway, apologies for the big rambling post. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7GUYf3bCxk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
There'a few problems with this, the first being that Mother 1 doesn't have anywhere near the charm of Earthbound or Mother 3. It was pretty much a tedious prototype for the later games and has a lot of really, really poorly planned out sections later on. So doing a blind, solo VLP of it might not be the best choice for your first venture. Secondly it seemed like you got more and more quiet as the video went on, or maybe you were just having less and less to say? Which I can understand because there's no a lot going on in the game and it didn't seem like you have much in the way of jokes or learning about the game play aspects of the game.

Now what I find that helps, especially for your first time, is to find a game you know about and are interested in, and show that off. Do you have anything like that? Or maybe finding a better title where curiosity and blind exploration are better rewarded? Like it's probably a bit cliche, but something like Pony Island would be a fun game to go into completely blind and see how you play off of it. I mean this is all opinion really and others might tell you differently, but this first video and my knowledge of Mother 1 makes me think this particular game choice might not be the best to start with.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You should turn the game audio down next time you record; it's kinda hard to hear your voice.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

You're alternating between mumbling inaudibly under your breath and chuckling to yourself while the active area of the screen is 1/4th of the youtube display, which is already like 1/4th of my screen. I'd have to expend actual effort to be able to sit and pay attention to what is happening and being said for more than a minute. I can't imagine what'd happen once it's apparent the game is mostly battle after battle.

Edit: I don't have any ideas to smooth out the technical details, especially since you've said your laptop can't do much better. I do think you should check the premise of LPing this game, as Nigurath suggests.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 15, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you want to be able to talk more, might I make the suggestion of using what you see in the game to talk about yourself? Say a word about your dad, your dog, your grandpa, your lamp.

As far as what others are saying about the video size...are you using OBS? Please remember to use "Fit to Screen" next time. :shobon:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Since it is an old NesFamicom RPG, you could also try doing it as a Screenshot LP, yes? that would also give you more time to write out your own commentary on the game.

Also: Oh yeah! another person using a lovely Acer Laptop asides from me! High Five!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know, Id second what Niggurath said.
Mother 1 has earthbound trappings but its far and away removed from what makes its successors fun to play.

IMO lping it even when you know the game is an exersize in frustration, let alone doing it blind. So I really do recommend you find a game you quite enjoy, and I believe thatll be much better for what youre looking to get out of LPing.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Add another voice to the choir suggesting this game isn't the best idea. I'd argue that you really need to love it on some level to not have it be completely boring. You'd also want to excise a lot of nonsense filler.

Also, since nobody else brought it up, I'll mention that I don't care who you are or other things you do. If you were Shigesato Itoi, it would have some relevance, but not when you're just some random dude playing a game.

Anyways, like everyone else suggested, you should find something you know and can be excited about. I think it will help you a lot more in trying to talk over a game in an entertaining manner.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I agree that you should find a game you know you love and really wanna show off to people

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Capntastic posted:

I agree that you should find a game you know you love and really wanna show off to people

Not emptyquoting.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Mother 1 is good and this thread contains plebs.

that aside, the rest of what they're saying is fairly on point, this is a pretty curious choice of game for a blind video LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know your webcomic, op

• Locked thread