Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

babypolis posted:

the imf proved that redistribution has no negative effects on the economy, but inequeality reduces economic growth.

Link!>???!!>!?!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a cop posted:

Link!>???!!>!?!!!

here you go friend

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/sdn/2014/sdn1402.pdf

i lied about them proving it because a single study doesnt prove a theory, and its actually a very contentious issue, as you can imagine

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If supply of labor goes down, wages will tend to go up due to scarcity. This is why labor unions work, and why many fields require a certificate/license of some kind to practice in (artificially limit the labor pool).

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Immortan posted:

This is because you're stupid & an ideologue.

I think it's because to think otherwise would require him to question liberal dogma.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

I think it's because to think otherwise would require him to question liberal dogma.

we all have our own biases, dont try to pretend you are any better. political beliefs are mostly emotional with a bunch of rationalizations thrown in afterwards. at least i have some evidence and theory to back up my rationalizations

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
The fact that you think that only one side of the immigration debate has evidence and theory kind of proves my point.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

The fact that you think that only one side of the immigration debate has evidence and theory kind of proves my point.

i never said that though, i said it was not a clear cut, which implies the exact opposite, and i agreed with and accepted your objections. i was talking about myself, personally. i respect your right to prefer the evidence that proves you right, so dont disparage me from doing the same

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm not ideologically opposed to any possible solution; that would be the liberals who cry racism about anything that might undermine their assumption that America bears more responsibility for the rest of the world than its own citizens.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

I'm not ideologically opposed to any possible solution; that would be the liberals who cry racism about anything that might undermine their assumption that America bears more responsibility for the rest of the world than its own citizens.

so then why prefer trump over anybody else.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
You got a better idea? Free stuff for everyone isn't a better idea, by the way.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
I dunno, Cruz sure does have great plans and Rubio is charismatic enough to make me swoon while on the debate floor but.. These are Fourteen words I can live by~

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i can't believe there are people broke brain enough to look at social programs in other less wealthy nations and cry "free stuff!" as if it's never been done before and impractical

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

So what was the point of the press conference? I missed it.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

stoutfish posted:

i can't believe there are people broke brain enough to look at social programs in other less wealthy nations and cry "free stuff!" as if it's never been done before and impractical

Who do you think is going to pay for "free" healthcare and higher education?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

T r a v i s posted:

we'll save money on healthcare compared to our current system and free tuition comes from a tax on wall-street speculation? are you retarded? in fact those two things will be a massive boost to the effective net-worth of the american people, so it's better than free.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

T r a v i s posted:

you are. give me your lunch money, nerd, so I can use it on food stamps and BMWs

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
but i know you're a spiteful piece of poo poo who would gladly trade away those things so you can kick undesirables out of the country.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

stoutfish posted:

but i know you're a spiteful piece of poo poo who would gladly trade away those things so you can kick undesirables out of the country.

I want to kick undesirables out of the country and single payer healthcare and free tuition.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

The Saurus posted:

I want to kick undesirables out of the country and single payer healthcare and free tuition.

thats hard....

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Saurus posted:

you have to choose one or the other. only in your idiotic fever dreams are both possible with trump

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'd liked to be linked trump's plans for healthcare and higher education

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

stoutfish posted:

we'll save money on healthcare compared to our current system and free tuition comes from a tax on wall-street speculation? are you retarded? in fact those two things will be a massive boost to the effective net-worth of the american people, so it's better than free.

Hahahaha

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

T r a v i s posted:

You got a better idea? Free stuff for everyone isn't a better idea, by the way.

It's not free stuff though and it never has been, it's stuff that's collectively paid for by everyone for taxes, which enormously drives down the cost of securing that stuff and increases efficiency, similar to buying in bulk but writ large for the entire country

if, hypothetically, the idea of money was abolished (extremely unrealistic, but put that aside for a moment here), the "cost" of production/services would be the materials needed for it, the work done to create it, the time put aside to do it, the education and healthcare needed for competent workers, and the logistics to distribute it. anything beyond these basic ideas (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple essentials, but bear in mind the basic thrust here) raising the costs is inefficiency or graft, or both

being able to collectivize paying for something that a society views as necessary significantly helps reduce inefficiency and/or graft* and gets us closer to the true cost of that something. because the act of paying your taxes and the act of receiving the benefits of social programs or nationalized production are often long temporally separated, many people think they get the latter for free when that's far from the case

*: of course you get into the problem of entrenched bureaucracy and government inefficiency, but speaking as someone who's worked in both public and private sectors, the various American governments might be bad at times about waste, but private businesses are a hundred times worse and they're not subject to public scrutiny or votes

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

babypolis posted:

you have to choose one or the other. only in your idiotic fever dreams are both possible with trump

I'd rather have the healthcare and educaton hence my support for Bernie

but since Shillary isn't promising any of that, I can support Trump over Shillary for the wall and hardline on illegal immigration with no loss on my part.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ah i see, you've never had a critical thought in your life.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Dude with a Guy Fawkes user pic: "Bernie's gonna make the 1% pay my student loans! Yeah!"

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

T r a v i s posted:

Dude with a Guy Fawkes user pic: "Bernie's gonna make the 1% pay my student loans! Yeah!"

it's on a chicken styrofoam tray

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

stoutfish posted:

it's on a chicken styrofoam tray

that person's gonna catch some nasty diseases

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

babypolis posted:

it will shrink the economy and reduce wages in most sectors

If we shrink people, food and houses will be big

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

watwat posted:

TRUMP!
*click*

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

T r a v i s posted:

people buying t-bills probably

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

Zas posted:

people buying t-bills probably

If by "people buying t-bills" you mean "the middle and working classes" then I agree. I guarantee you that Wall Street has already figured out how to pass the check in the unlikely event that Bernie is elected and gets these programs instituted.

Getting back to Trump's proposal for immigration, liberals need it to be racist because otherwise there is no reason not to try it, and they are scared that it will actually improve the economy and expose the fact that they have been pushing amnesty just to get more voters, cheap labor, and to assuage their white guilt despite the cost to American citizens.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

everyone in the world rich and poor buys US debt, not just the middle and working class.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

If by "people buying t-bills" you mean "the middle and working classes" then I agree. I guarantee you that Wall Street has already figured out how to pass the check in the unlikely event that Bernie is elected and gets these programs instituted.

Getting back to Trump's proposal for immigration, liberals need it to be racist because otherwise there is no reason not to try it, and they are scared that it will actually improve the economy and expose the fact that they have been pushing amnesty just to get more voters, cheap labor, and to assuage their white guilt despite the cost to American citizens.

yeah no reason not to try you know except for the millions of people who will be displaced

you are just as scummy and sleazy as the man in your avatar

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I feel like its our responsibility to mexico to secure the border, the cartels are destroying their country due to our dependence on illegal drugs.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

babypolis posted:

yeah no reason not to try you know except for the millions of people who will be displaced

you are just as scummy and sleazy as the man in your avatar

Cry me a river for the people who know what the law is and broke it anyway.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

Cry me a river for the people who know what the law is and broke it anyway.

yeah i will because im actually capable of empathy for othes, while you are clearly just a really lovely person. my goondolences for your broke rear end brain

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

what if i just think national borders are loving stupid

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

babypolis posted:

yeah i will because im actually capable of empathy for othes, while you are clearly just a really lovely person. my goondolences for your broke rear end brain

Weird, you don't seem capable of being empathetic to the American working class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

T r a v i s posted:

Weird, you don't seem capable of being empathetic to the American working class.

you seriously argue just as badly as ted cruz. its uncanny

• Locked thread