Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He may still be planning to go back, he was just interrupted and then the episode ended. If I were him, and I actually succeeded in convincing a reasonably trustworthy dude that I was a time traveler and that Kennedy was going to die on that day, I'd say good luck and get the gently caress out of there.

I think that this is the real reason he'll need to do a reset. I sure hope he does, anyway. The show would miss a fantastic opportunity to make Ep 3 a version of Ep 2 where it goes smoother, showing that Jake is learning. That and to revisit some characters.

drunkill posted:

Already mentioned but I love the almost poo poo-eating grin Franco gives whenever someone talks about the price of something.

Three dollars, in advance.

*grin* Okay...

I also really love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

At this point I really doubt he's going to reset. He's already been in the past for two years (I wish they had showed Bill change a bit more than being an open-shirt layabout still) and doing a reset now would be a real PITA when the end goal is closer than if he went back.

I honestly can't tell if you guys didn't notice the signs in the hallway going from 1960 to 1961 to 1962 (and then referencing several other instances of it being 1962 now) or if you're just trolling. So if you're trolling: Good job.

If you're not trolling: Then you also probably didn't notice that Sadie was the girl in the front seat of the pink convertible that made eye-contact with Jake when he first arrived in Maine in 1960.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I think a thing that would have helped the time-passing hallway sequence would have been the inclusion of some music to signify the passing of time. Maybe a song that was popular from each year fading in and out as the years passed?

But, you know... licensing.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Lycus posted:

Forget about the Yellow Card Man!

One of the things I've noticed is that there are small changes to the intro of each episode. I'm wondering if one of these days the yellow card in the open credits is going to be an orange card.

Edit: Also, am I really thick about the clothespin thing? Is Sadie's (ex-)husband a diaper fetishist? What the hell is going on. I was really glad when Jake was as confused as I was and then really mad when Sadie didn't answer him.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I just did a Google search for 11/22/63 and the top result is "11/22/63 clothespin" so I'm going to assume a lot of people didn't get it.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Same here. I thought he actually had no sexual organs or something, and just used the clothes-pin as a substitute dick.

This is exactly what I thought she was alluding to. I'm still not sure it isn't.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There were near misses after that, but they were mostly from computers loving up and miscommunications.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/5-cold-war-close-calls

Surprisingly good article from the History Channel. The fourth one on their list is the one I always think of when someone mentions times when the Cold War almost went hot.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

In the book, Al addresses his reasoning for what events he believes unfold:

(I don't think this is spoilery, but if it is I will put a spoiler tag around it if someone wants me to.)

The Book posted:

"Oh, I'm talking about a lot more than that, because this ain't some butterfly in China, buddy. I'm also talking about saving RFK's life, because if John lives in Dallas, Robert probably doesn't run for president in 1968. The country wouldn't have been ready to replace one Kennedy with another."

"You don't know that for sure."

"No, but listen. Do you think that if you save John Kennedy's life, his brother Robert is still at the Ambassador Hotel at twelve-fifteen in the morning on June fifth, 1968? And even if he is, is Sirhan Sirhan still working in the kitchen?"

Maybe, but the chances had to be awfully small. If you introduced a million variables into an equation, of course the answer was going to change.

"Or what about Martin Luther King? Is he still in Memphis in April of '68? Even if he is, is he still standing on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel at exactly the right time for James Earl Ray to shoot him? What do you think?"

"If that butterfly theory is right, probably not."

"That's what I think, too. And if MLK lives, the race riots that followed his death don't happen. Maybe Fred Hampton doesn't get shot in Chicago."

"Who?"

He ignored me. "For that matter, maybe there's no Symbionese Liberation Army. No SLA, no Patty Hearst kidnapping. No Patty Hearst kidnapping, a small but maybe significant reduction in black fear among middle-class whites."

[...]

"Or what about Vietnam? Johnson was the one who started all the insane escalation. Kennedy was a cold warrior, no doubt about it, but Johnson took it to the next level. He had the same my-balls-are-bigger-than-yours complex that Dubya showed off when he stood in front of the cameras and said, 'Bring it on.' Kennedy might have changed his mind. Johnson and Nixon were incapable of that. Thanks to them, we lost almost sixty thousand American soldiers in Nam. The Vietnamese, North and South, lost millions. Is the butcher's bill that high if Kennedy doesn't die in Dallas?"

"I don't know. And neither do you, Al."

I think what gets lost in a lot of King's works being put to film is the uncertainty and doubt his characters have. They think a lot of the things the readers think (like a lot of the points that have come up in this thread about butterfly effects) but there's usually no way to dialogue that or not enough time to put it in.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I thought the episode was great. What boring parts are you guys talking about?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I really liked this episode as well. The scene with the ex-husband was incredibly tense, because I didn't feel like Sadie had any of the normal plot armor a character like that would have. I thought there was a good chance she was going to end up dead, so I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

This is exactly what I was feeling. I was certain she was going to die and he was going to do a reset (that whole thing is still up in the air). Also Bill messing around with Marina.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

After losing his teaching job and Sadie, Jake decided to abandon his life in Jodie. He got the phone call just as he was moving out of the house. Presumably, Sadie's house is somewhere down the street from him. I don't think there were buses in Texan small towns in the 60's.

Wait a minute! This isn't a spoiler at all!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

Wow, I just assumed it was the husband. The Yellow Card Man traveled all the way from Maine to gently caress with Jake's girlfriend, what a dick.

I guess since Jake isn't resetting the timeline more we're not getting to see the yellow card change color and the guy get more wildly upset, they did that... kinda freaky in an interesting way, although if the yellow card guy is really actively trying to disrupt Jake he could probably try harder. I guess we should assume he'll do more later. This also seems to indicate he's somewhat omniscient just in that he's able to find Jake and do this...

Re: Yellow Card Man and his card: I think the show will still have the card start to turn as it ramps up, even if its not dependent on resets like it was in the book. Based on how prominent it's featured in the intro, seeing it orange there will probably be the first indicator for a lot of viewers that something major is different now, even if they aren't sure what it is.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

As a book reader, I have to agree the show's been really crappy with the Yellow Card Man. They should have made the card in his hat stand out more (I cant even see it half the time, there's not enough contrast there, and it should be in the front like a press card in a hat). They should have brought him up at least a couple of times. And they shouldn't have been quite SO shadowy with him in the background. He's been a bit mishandled, and I think it's fair if people are really confused.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I feel like Bill is the past pushing back. Just because he is (was?) close to Jake doesn't mean he's immune or he isn't part of the past.

His relationship with Marina is like the car careening through the phone booth.

Ninja edit: It's kind of nonsensical because Bill doesn't realize he's under some supernatural influence that's making him nonsensical.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He's probably from some other time where the technology available allows him more control over where/when he travels.

Not even headcanon can reconcile this.

:(

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

There was also "CAPTAIN TR" (tripps, i would assume. I didnt double check) spray painted in very large letters on the side of a building in the changed 2016.

If you pause it right when he starts to walk away from the foundation (of the diner?) you can see the other half of the writing and it definitely says "CAPTAIN TRIPPS":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I went through and took note of the name of the record playing in each episode:

01. JUST LIKE A CANDLE
02. WAIT FOR THE BUNNY
03. Wool and Water
04. KING of HEARTS
05. POOL of TEARS
06. SHAKING
07. SHAKING
08. WHICH DREAMED IT

Not sure if it means anything, but its kind of a neat detail they included.

• Locked thread