Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I started reading Kaiji from where the anime left off, and got to the Minefield Mahjong. I know enough about Mahjong to understand the broad strokes of what’s going on (suit names, riichi, ron, etc) but I’m not super familiar with all of the yaku names + han values. Does the mahjong stuff continue for long enough that it’s worth memorizing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finished up Kaiji part 3, was pretty rad once I got the swing of the mahjong stuff. The climax was real great and real satisfying. On the other hand, (spoilering just in case) his win felt VERY lucky. Like, moreso than normal. What would have happened if the mahjong table dealt him or Muraoka the rigged tile? Or if Kaiji didn’t get a haku tile, or couldn’t make a mangan hand with one? it was a super clever and satisfying win, but felt a little more contrived than in previous games.

I also like that afterwards, we cut away so Kaiji can read a book, also about gambling.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Can Of Worms posted:

Both Kaiji and Kazuya both point this out, since he also gets a huge payout bonus from that round.

Yeah, I know the huge payout was solely due to luck on the ura dora, but him even winning in the first place felt a little uncharacteristically lucky, since every gamble until now has been won by Kaiji coming up with a solid gameplay and then executing it. Notably the one time until now that he does NOT have a strategy and decides to rely on luck, he loses his loving fingers.

Unless the whole point was that he got lucky, and it'll come into play later (which I can totally understand, considering the situation he's now in with Kazuya), but it just feels surprising for Kaiji to rely on luck so much. Usually his plans are more foolproof.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was already screwed at that point. Hyoudou pulled out the winning paper right after letting Kaiji see his plan was ruined.

There was no yoloing things cause he had already lost before that was even a option.

Nah, during Hyodo's first pull he removes Kaiji's stashed ticket and then purposefully pulls one that he knows isn't a winner (because he marked the second winning ticket). Then, when Kaiji reaches in to draw his stashed ticket, after realizing it's been removed he yolos and grabs a random one, hoping it's the winner. He later realizes that if he had stopped to think, he could have figured out that Hyodo was the only other person to reach in, so he must have done something with the ticket. Therefore he logically could have crumpled it up and hid it inside (like he did). He also could have stopped to think about what Hyodo could have done to rig the game, such as folding the winning ticket since he removed his hand after Kaiji did when they both placed it in. Even if he didn't guess that exactly, he could have reasoned out that Hyodo modified the winning ticket in that brief time to make it distinct to the touch, and thus findable, so Kaiji could have then felt around the tickets for one that stands out.

Kaiji straight-up says that Hyodo gave him a chance to win, testing his abilities to cheat on the fly, and he instead gave up in despair and just left it up to lady luck to decide. Thus, he failed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I expected them to buy up expensive jewelry / gems / etc, since that's what the dude on Espoir did. Kaiji, learn from your past!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Goddamn the Tonegawa manga loving rules.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

:goonsay: this is actually the Otsuki manga, it's a separate series from the Tonegawa manga :goonsay:

Oh poo poo really? I thought the Otsuki parts were just short side stories in the tonegawa manga!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That loving Hyodo is so great.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Teiai are such pieces of poo poo. You lost fair and square.

They did, but will Kazuya admit that to his dad? He could probably try to swing it that Kaiji's gang stole it somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiji's group winds up getting caught, but they explain what happens to Hyodo and then he's like "oh really? Well you're free to go, lemme just go throw my terrible son on the BBQ kekeke" or whatever.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if poo poo hits the fan he is kind of screwed. I am really enjoying the games of evasion right now however.

I’m guessing he’ll eventually get caught, and taken before Hyoudou and / or Kazuya, where there’ll be one last big showdown gamble, solely because i’m not sure where else the story could go. If Kaiji and the gang escape, what then? Kaiji lives a nice life for a while before inevitably gambling all his money away into debt again and thus he needs to do another gamble? They could escape and then we just get a “and he lived happily ever after” ending, but that would feel kind of anti-climactic without one final gamble as a finale. He could get caught and then just sent to another labor camp or Teiai prison or whatever, but that’s just retreading where we’ve already been.

I can’t really see, from a narrative standpoint, where else things could go. I suppose maybe Kaiji gives up his share of the money to save / greatly benefit Chang and Mario or something, and then we’re back to Kaiji being a bum and gambling to get more money. I suppose the best case scenario (from the perspective of getting more Kaiji material) is they escape Japan, but then Kaiji needs to sacrifice his share for his friends, and then starts getting caught up in foreign gambling rings that are separated / rival Teiai.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that's unlikely to happen, he has a enough money to set himself for life.

He's fuckin' Kaiji, he'll find a way to lose that poo poo in four days playing pachinko.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like that the mainline kaiji Manga has more or less turned into Tonegawa.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Uh oh. Are they one of the scan/translation groups?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://fkmtkrazy.blogspot.com/2020/02/i-quit.html?m=1

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was pretty clear he was not in the best state of mind after the death of his dad.

Doesn't seem like that's all he's struggling with

https://twitter.com/FKMTkrazy/status/1225220859087863808?s=19

E: to clarify, I have no problems with him struggling with this, and am not trying to make fun of those who are, but it does shine a light on the inclusion of "homosexuality" alongside stuff like crime and gambling

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 6, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Still seems like fkmtkrazy, just with "new management" according to their twitter

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Magissima posted:

Are the live action Kaiji movies any good?

I haven't seen the newest one, but the others aren't bad. I wouldn't really recommend them to anyone who's not already a kaiji fan, but I found them enjoyable as someone looking for more kaiji. The plot mostly follows along the same, but much more sped up. There's one or two new gambles too, which are kind of forgettable but hey they're new.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Kaiji is very smart but he's also very, very dumb

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plutonis posted:

drat i havent posted here in two years but i'm still following kaijis tense as gently caress escape and attempt of staying hidden from teiai atm...

I hope he and his friends get away safely but I also hope it never ends

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

Time dilation in Kaiji is so real. What year do you think it even is in Kaiji anymore? Does FKMT even know what year it is in Kaiji anymore? AFAIK "season 3" (minefield mahjongg) and "season 4" (one poker) of the manga took place on the same night which is completely insane.

And the running away arc is over the course of what, 1-2 weeks? Less? lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

I'll begrudge that to Middle Manager Blues Tonegawa because it's a non-canon joke series. THe anime was loving awesome.

Tonegawa is 100% canon and he finished the big bowl of cutlets :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Maybe he just loves the grind

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao that they all rushed to floor 1 instead of spreading out

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

L-O-N posted:

Chang has some stupid friends.

I think about this post a lot

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dipwood posted:

I've watched all of Akagi and I still don't know how to play Mahjong. The problem is they play some Japanese version that has a bunch of extra rules? Regular Mahjong doesn't have this "Riichi" thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong

Tldr: richii is making an extra bet that you'll win without swapping any more tiles out of your hand. It sort of puts you on auto pilot, drawing tiles and discarding them if they don't let you win. It's risky cus it's harder to win, since you can't modify your hand any further, but can get extra reward since you're upping the bet.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mario's going to get TOO drunk, isn't he?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

apophenium posted:

Back to reading Kaiji regularly. I had just finished the E-Card arc when I took a break so now Kaiji is suffering in the deep pit of hell and trying to deny himself beer and stuff. I'm hoping he'll find a friend soon. I've loved that so far FKMT seems to champion a sense of community and compassion being the way through the hellish conditions Kaiji finds himself in rather than the supernatural abilities of a single savant. A commonality of the plot so far is Kaiji folding in on himself and turning away from his peers and relying on his canniness to win the gambles. But this is unsustainable, so he creates a community of sorts to upend things. Even if it ultimately comes down to a one-on-one showdown between Kaiji and a big bad, it's his friends usually who helped him get to be in that position in the first place.

I'm also hoping against hope that Kaiji won't get into any worse situations than the Teiai work pit. But... poo poo can always get worse is the other commonality I've noticed.

One of the best things about the series is that you legitimately never know if Kaiji will win or not. In most series you'd see the threat of "losing a limb" or "getting thrown into a labor camp" and think "oh, okay, so the protagonist is going to win, those stakes are way too high" and then Kaiji still just fucks it up.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

It's the exact same trick that kaiji pulled to get his passport...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that was used to get in, this time it's being used to get out.

Also didn't Kaiji use the same trick to sneak out when he was at his mom's place? Been a bit since I read that section, but I remember him at least considering it if not pulling it off entirely.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Endou should promise hell take them bowling if they find Mario. Black suits love bowling!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There no way they're in that fuckin cab lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

mdct posted:

Yeah the current situation they're in is 100% on Endou.
When it becomes clear he's following the wrong taxi because Endou only saw the first two numbers and the rest are different, that, too, will be 100% on Endou.

You just KNOW if it was one of the lackeys that only saw the first two numbers, Endou would have loving exploded screaming at them for being such incompetent fuckups who can't do anything right. But when Endou does it, well that's just an honest mistake - in fact, they're lucky he saw that much!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

The strange part is that he made 4.5 million dollars off the bog and is still acting all crazy about this.

Was it actually that much? Kaiji wiki says he took 60m yen total, which is about 600k usd (currently it's only like 450k but the yen is kinda poo poo right now) and like... Yeah that's a lot of money, but it's not exactly "gently caress you I'm never working again" money. Doubly so when you work for the yakuza and probably owe them something. I'd also wager that Endou probably isn't the best when it comes to money management.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Can Of Worms posted:

Excited to get first hand reactions from Hyoudou to the entire thing, hopefully we also get Kazuya's thoughts too. I've been waiting to see what kind of conclusion Kazuya came to after he woke up.

Gunna lol if Kazuya tells Hyoudou that he lost the money in a gamble fair and square, and Hyoudou calls off the Kaiji chase and instead punishes him lmao

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When you definitely aren't looking for an excuse to get back money that was won fair and square

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kurosaki's the second in command, I doubt he would be forced to jump. I would see the guys push Hyodou out the window in rebellion first.

I love that nobody has considered "Hey Hyoudou makes a pretty good point about no witnesses, why don't we just push him out and say it was suicide?"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plutonis posted:

Also good loving lord why didn't Kaiji just told her that they do WFH lol

The granny even gave them the perfect out by asking if they come from wealthy families. It'd be so easy to just go "oh yeah we're all fabulously rich" and that'd be that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

overeager overeater posted:

New series about the seediest and most dangerous game yet: professional golf

I'm digging this setup, interested to see where he takes this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 6: https://mangadex.org/chapter/a317ac56-4507-4507-a1c7-de46a7239321

There's finally some actual golfing!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 7 is up and poo poo is getting real, can't wait for Ch 8 and 9 to get translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://mangadex.org/chapter/9408e7b8-7147-43f8-8d38-a8f1673cfd6e
golf golf golf golf GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF GOLF