Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
hello yobbers you may remember me from a video of a beach in australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUx3p1AJmXA
this one in fact

you may also have heard of Himawari-8, a geostationary Japanese satellite whose greatest claim to fame outside scientific and meteorological circles are the images its AHI camera (Advanced Himawari Imager, an absurdly high resolution wide-range camera that takes a photo of the earth every ten minutes) takes.

a sample photo (this is actually ~magically~ whatever the latest AHI image is, they allow hotlinking):
there's also a 5500x5500 hi-rez source image here

I downloaded over a month of images from Himawari-8 and plan to keep downloading all the images until I have a year worth and then I am going to condense it into a video

but just to make sure the plan would work I decided to make a little test using the last month of video.

anyway here it is in all its 4K glory, the pilot/test video, over a month of images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9-bLj7wW0

i hope you like it, it's very chill

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

that's really cool

why is the night clouds kind of reddish? does it switch to ir spectrum when things go dark or what

ty manifisto

literally a fish

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)

alnilam posted:

why is the night clouds kind of reddish? does it switch to ir spectrum when things go dark or what

yes that is 100% correct, it's a "hyperspectral imager" which means it can see into IR and UV and so at night time it picks up those and they're sort of shifted down into bits of spectrum we can see

I thought it looked cooler than the visible spectrum only imagery which just shows black at night pretty much (boring)

I believe the redder the clouds are the more likely they are to be raining / cause rain but don't quote me on that

literally a fish

i feel i should have named this thread "look at this chill-rear end earth"

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
Why does the earth keep changing colors?

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
What's up with the photos at 3:14? It makes me think it's fake? Like, why are the clouds static, but the sun keeps going?

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish

Gross Dude posted:

What's up with the photo's at 3:14? It makes me think it's fake? Like, why are the clouds static, but the sun keeps going?

That's definitely weird. What's happening there (and I'm annoyed at myself for not noticing it sooner) is that the camera has locked up, but the software interpreting the image data is still running as if the camera was still updating.

You're not actually watching a day/night terminator cross the screen, you're watching the software checking what time it is, working out where the terminator ought to be, and interpreting the image data as if it were so, even though the photo didn't change.

This is part of the stuff I mentioned earlier that shrinks a hyperspectral image (image with components our eyes can't normally see) into a visible-spectrum image with false color (the red colors in the clouds at night are false color).

Edit:

quote:

the GeoColor image product depicts clouds and snow cover (when present) in white, moonlit nighttime terrain in purple, city lights from major metropolitan areas in yellow, and daytime land and shallow-water features in true color.

Basically there's a whole bunch of absurdly complicated processing going on to convert the raw hyperspectral camera data into visible spectrum photos, and when the camera locks up, some of it keeps running.

2nd Edit:

More info on the GeoColor shenanigans: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/research/goes-r/proving_ground/cira_product_list/geocolor_imagery_detailed.asp

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread