Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not sure I get the point of this one. It’s a known nuke base, and somebody was running around on it. Ok?

Are the timestamped data available? Not sure a heat map like this is useful for showing patterns of life without it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

According to the reddit post he yells "This is for my boys!" before detonating

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An extremely guilty chuckle

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I miss Bad Company 2

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sick, I don't think they have that kind of accessory in Siege yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

:chloe:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

someone needs to have a word with @aircraftspots about being a loving narc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Taking bets on first launch, missile failing to detach from the launcher and taking the helicopter with it.

That's called the kinetic impactor component

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

They don’t dude they’re all killing themselves with alcohol like the dude I saw today wearing a Vietnam vet hat buying a gallon of Wild Turkey and a case of bud light at 0730

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Happy holidays fellas

That tree certainly has the body shape of the modern military man

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An African child mercenary can’t run that much. Where’s all our military aid money going?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Its just planes doing test flights but I really like the light aircraft mil planes. Shame its definitely going no where despite making a ton of sense both for global partnerships and the fighting we're actually doing today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6yJrQYNQc

I agree that light military combat aircraft are cool as hell but what makes them make sense for the fighting we're doing today? Everyone has MANPADS these days and planes like these seem like they'd be fodder.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

MANPADS are definitely a threat, and modern MANPADS will not bite easily onto flares at all. However, one of the real challenges of using MANPADS against even comparatively slow aircraft is that you're stuck eyeballing engagement envelope unless you have some kind of semi-advanced cueing,* which most insurgent forces don't have. So it can end up being pretty easy to either not take a valid shot out of fear you'll waste your missile or take a shot where the kinematics are not in your favor due to the aircraft not being terribly low to the ground, flying outbound, or otherwise on the wrong edge of the engagement envelope.

And as much as we like to say "everyone has MANPADS these days," that's not really true. Every major country has them, but the employment of modern MANPADS is not the norm from folks like ISIS or other insurgents. Otherwise, a shitload more US/Coalition helicopters would get shot down in places like Iraq, Syria, or Afghanistan.

*The Avenger fires Stingers, but it has on-board laser range-finding equipment to help the gunner decide whether or not to shoot. Marine Stinger teams have, or at least had years ago, digital RF networks built into their HMMWVs that give them Link 16 cueing down to the Stinger team. This means they can actually have a laptop out with a Link 16 picture in their Stinger hide site, to prep them for incoming threats with speed, altitude, aspect, etc, to help them make the shoot/no-shoot decision once they acquire the target visually and switch to a more traditional Stinger team employment. Helps with ID, of course, but also helps them not waste missiles on stuff outside the altitude envelope, and additionally helps make a good engagement on low and fast targets where your window of opportunity is very small.

That's cool, thanks. And I'll do you a solid by not asking extremely specific follow-up questions that you haven't already answered in your PM to me.

my kinda ape posted:

I chuckled pretty hard at happy new year

ok that was pretty good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fish and Chimps posted:

One of the tiny Danish subs sank just after being refurbished for service in the fleet (they were old West German/Norwegian hand-me-downs) in 1990. It took 3 years to make it ready to sail again, but it happened.

The most recent one sank in 2017 and also had a hell of a cleaning bill

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Syncopated posted:

how would it be possible to find a better clip than this though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGr5J9pWvsw

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

This too. I don't know why people think tanks are some unstoppable killmachine, ever since they came about it seems if you catch one without anyone looking out for it they're loving doomed.

Modern war videos have created the opposite bias in me in that I now think they're completely worthless deathtraps

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/c9iml2/guy_uses_a_rc_panzer_tank_controlled_with_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I’ve always wanted a deck of the archaeology awareness cards.

I think ISIS blew literally all of this up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Knife hand medal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just odd to me that everything I’ve read online about this weapon has been “check out the badass ninja missile that shreds its targets with blades!” I guess when a child in the backseat gets hit in one of these surgical strikes, or a dude survives and only gets his arms and face sliced off, maybe the conversation will be different.

The two times that we know this weapon has been used it has instantly killed its targets without pain. It's hard to imagine surviving a close encounter but sure, it's possible.

An argument saying this type of weapon ought to be banned should probably start by confronting what normal bullets do when they don't directly hit the heart or brain.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol I wasn’t aware that we’d interviewed the targets about how it felt or that we know anything about how it works other than it pulverizes the target individuals into raspberry jam

What do you think happens between impact and jellification? Time slows to a crawl and the target gets to say “You may wonder how I ended up here...” to the camera?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 7, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why were they arguing with each other when they could've been getting their story straight for the officer back at base

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

Literally everyone in the military has a good chance at a tinnitus rating.

Data centers...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Some guy in a thread said they would line their shirts with hardtack to soak up the blow

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's like watching a wildebeest ward off a lion

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao at the dad bod right at the beginning

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That armored truck video is crazy. You can even see somebody aim and fire at the passenger window as they drive past.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

can the ciws have a little treat

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7234218725539401002

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beastie posted:

So last week or so ago a video came out of a Bradley pounding the poo poo out of a T-90. It was from afar, grainy, but still pretty rad:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFoot...web2x&context=3

Then today we get this view:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFoot...web2x&context=3

iirc there was a similar video from much earlier in the war of a Ukrainian IFV putting down the same kind of accurate fire on a Russian tank or IFV while maneuvering through an urban area. I thought it was a pretty remarkable video since it was from the gunner's POV and highly detailed.

If somebody remembers that video, too, maybe they can share it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's a nuclear detonation in space for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRS7U0emns&t=16s