Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

That's basically what I look like in flight sims. I can do miracles with planes. I can fly helicopters through obstacle courses. I have never once successfully landed a helicopter.

Yeah landing a helicopter without breaking anything is quite difficult, and landing it in an exact spot is significantly harder than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
It's likely the vehicles they were attacking were equipped with signal jammers so it's not really his fault it didn’t work, although it's still probably not a good idea to click the button to test it later :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

I disagree.

Clear the area, then try once more to detonate the bomb so you don’t have to dig it up and haul it away.

Well that's fine but that's definitely not what happened in this situation. In this case they blew the bomb in the middle of an argument about the detonator being broken while women with babies were walking through the area.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm a filthy civilian so maybe this is a dumb question but do US troops/most modern militaries use hearing protection in the field? Obviously this doesn't do anything for the actual concussion of gunfire/explosions either way. And historically did soldiers ever use anything or was everyone who served in combat before the last couple decades just deaf as gently caress?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

aphid_licker posted:

So did they make sure during speccing / design that you're not getting a lil cumulative TBI every time you fire the thing or is it just lol yolo nobody has bothered to run the stats yet on what happes to CG instructors after retirement?

I think you know the answer.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Did that armor actually do anything to protect against 19th century bullets or was it purely to protect against like, getting bayoneted?

Or was it just something someone thought was a good idea and it never mattered until it actually saw combat and people said "gently caress that".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
lol at goons convincing themselves that real things are fake

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

piL posted:

They don't teach that, right? Who would teach that?

There’s a not insignificant chance they learned it from video games just like us. And if not then I guess it's just the natural course of action one would take when faced with a tank you can't hurt and you don't want it to blow up the tank you happen to be in.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mustang posted:

I got the vibe that they weren't all that happy with how society is back in Nepal, especially the women.

Like they thought it was too backwards or it was getting too westernized/progressive?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Extremely :nws::nms:

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1275477140637614085

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 24, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I bet that dude (justifiably) poo poo his pants.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I would hope not, unless there's like a screw on cap on the front of the tube they forgot to take off. I'd be surprised if we have anyone here that's familiar with launching IGLAs though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

maffew buildings posted:

Do you respond this way to all jokes or are you just a plane spectrum man

Right over his head like a crashing F-35

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Video is an old video of a demonstration in Russia...I think?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ded posted:

Thats just M1s really. They suck up too much gas and maintenance for most other countries to put up with.

I think the T-80 is too but yeah they are the exceptions.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Godholio posted:

I'm actually really surprised nobody has posted that video yet.

They did when the quoted post was posted two months ago!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

C.M. Kruger posted:

That shoot house video makes the actors in that "FBI OPEN UP" video where they're falling through the ceiling/walls and destroying the place look like a competent tac team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siZSLNKFQqg

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
How many windows do you suppose that broke?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Scratch Monkey posted:

We went to do one thing, hosed it up early, and then decided to fight the sort of war that had literally never been won there. Thanks, W, Dick, and Rummy!

They also set aside an absolutely pathetic amount of aid to rebuild Afghanistan which was severely impoverished and hosed up by decades of war before we blew up the last few remaining things that hadn't already been blown up. The Bush administration didn't want to do "nation building" and somehow expected Afghanistan to just put itself back together out of near total ruin.

There was probably a decent chance things could have turned out well there had they actually bothered to spend enough money to rebuild and secure the country right away. Instead they hosed around until things fell apart and spent way more money in the long run when it was too late. Also refusing to negotiate with and re-integrate the Taliban early on just made them decide to wait us out.

Rumsfeld in particular comes off as a spectacularly dumb idiot if you read about what they were doing in the early years of the war.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I was not glued to the news while this was all going down, did people actually cling to the planes as they were taking off? I saw footage of people running all over them while they were on the tarmac but none of what happened when they started moving.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I saw that posteda few days ago as Turkish forces attacking a SDF position. So if true it's the bad guys almost getting blown up by a missile.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
In college I had an 80 year old organic chemistry professor who moved here from India in like 1965 and one day he took like 20 minutes out of a lecture to teach us about cricket and how it was the greatest sport in the world. That dude ruled.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
It is 100% definitely from the past day or two.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The generous interpretation is they don't really want to shoot at anything so they're just firing off at nothing. Not sure that holds up though since they gotta come down somewhere and they could just as easily fire them all into an empty field or whatever within normal range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

kill me now posted:

I think the thing I'm most curious about is what happens if that helmet is actually strapped on. Does he get more or less injured.

Maybe that’s what you’re alluding to but US soldiers in WW2 apparently believed that the helmet strap would break your neck if you got hit by a blast and consequently often did not strap on their helmets. Whether or not the belief had merit I don’t know.