Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why were they arguing with each other when they could've been getting their story straight for the officer back at base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’ve stood next to but still a few feet back from the muzzle of a M1 Garand when it fired let me tell you, you feel the concussion through your entire body. That’s just 30.06

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mad Dragon posted:

I've fired an AR15 with a pretty aggressive muzzle brake. That's a relatively tiny round, and it'll clear out your sinuses. I'm sure standing in front of a tank will clear out your sinuses and every other cavity in your body. :psyboom:

When we were in Korea and doing some practice firing in the tanks, the complete gently caress nut of a battalion commander rolled up in a humvee and parked less than 10 metres away, about level with the front of the hull. Him and his driver wanted to take photos but when someone went up and told them they might want to move, he of course yelled all kind of abuse at them and told them to gently caress off.

So we get word over the radio to make sure to be careful because the battalion commander is there, so of course it became the equivalent of a tank mag dump.

Not that it worked beyond the first couple of rounds, as the first one busted the glass all down one side of the humvee and cracked the windshield. They quickly stumbled out the other side and went running for cover, going straight to the medic tent.

So yeah, those dudes are gonna be having a very, very bad day.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Scratch Monkey posted:

I’ve stood next to but still a few feet back from the muzzle of a M1 Garand when it fired let me tell you, you feel the concussion through your entire body. That’s just 30.06

I was directly under a .50 barrel as it fired a couple of bursts during a firefight once. Would not recommend.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm a filthy civilian so maybe this is a dumb question but do US troops/most modern militaries use hearing protection in the field? Obviously this doesn't do anything for the actual concussion of gunfire/explosions either way. And historically did soldiers ever use anything or was everyone who served in combat before the last couple decades just deaf as gently caress?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

When we were in Korea and doing some practice firing in the tanks, the complete gently caress nut of a battalion commander rolled up in a humvee and parked less than 10 metres away, about level with the front of the hull. Him and his driver wanted to take photos but when someone went up and told them they might want to move, he of course yelled all kind of abuse at them and told them to gently caress off.

So we get word over the radio to make sure to be careful because the battalion commander is there, so of course it became the equivalent of a tank mag dump.

Not that it worked beyond the first couple of rounds, as the first one busted the glass all down one side of the humvee and cracked the windshield. They quickly stumbled out the other side and went running for cover, going straight to the medic tent.

So yeah, those dudes are gonna be having a very, very bad day.

A god drat war hero. Thank you for your service

my kinda ape posted:

And historically did soldiers ever use anything or was everyone who served in combat before the last couple decades just deaf as gently caress?

They were deaf as gently caress

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

my kinda ape posted:

And historically did soldiers ever use anything or was everyone who served in combat before the last couple decades just deaf as gently caress?

They didn’t and a lot of combat vets came out deaf as hell

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of soldiers and marines these days have access to ear pro that amplifies voices and deadens gunshots. They always run outta batteries tho

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mawp mawp

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hearing loss is a major source of VA disability ratings IIRC

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went to Battlefield Vegas. A minigun indoors is surprisingly fine, just the entire room vibrating. A .50 BMG physically hurts even with ear protection because the concussion just smacks your head.

Worst I got was a 2 pounder black powder cannon from 100 feet without protection. Felt like an ice pick jammed in my ear.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

EBB posted:

mawp mawp

WHAT?

this constant ringing from artillery fire isn't normal?

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
The Carl Gustav rocks you pretty hard when you fire it. Shoot a few rounds and you just feel tired for the rest of the day. We were told that it was medically recommended to only shoot like 5-6 rounds in one day but we didn't really follow that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

subterfudge posted:

The Carl Gustav rocks you pretty hard when you fire it. Shoot a few rounds and you just feel tired for the rest of the day. We were told that it was medically recommended to only shoot like 5-6 rounds in one day but we didn't really follow that.

yeh but you got to shoot a carl gustav i bet that thing is fuckin sick

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LibCrusher posted:

A lot of soldiers and marines these days have access to ear pro that amplifies voices and deadens gunshots. They always run outta batteries tho

Also the earplugs that were supposed to block impulse sounds but allow everything else that the military issued out ended up being defective.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that 3M class action doing the late night tv rounds.

Someone told me that I had them in the wrong way and I said I couldn't tell the difference, and they called me an idiot. Well guess who's laughing now dickhead

No one. No one is laughing because none of us can hear the joke over the ringing in our ears

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Oh yeah, it was the coolest thing I ever shot in the army. It sucks to even be on the giving end of it, could only imagine what it's like on the other end.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to Battlefield Vegas. A minigun indoors is surprisingly fine, just the entire room vibrating. A .50 BMG physically hurts even with ear protection because the concussion just smacks your head.

It also felt like it turned my entire chest into a bass drum.

They had this going on in the parking lot the day I was there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gylhS5klc

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Literally everyone in the military has a good chance at a tinnitus rating.

There were numerous times I had to check external doors on the E-3 while we held short of the runway. Four screaming turbines will gently caress your hearing up real good.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

bloops posted:

There were numerous times I had to check external doors on the E-3 while we held short of the runway. Four screaming turbines will gently caress your hearing up real good.

I used to maintain the ILS when I was active, and therefore spent a lot of time right next to the runway. I got to a point where if an F-16 taking off towards me wasn’t loaded up with anything, I wouldn’t even bother covering my ears. But if that jet was fully loaded with drop tanks and missiles, you bet your rear end I would jam my fingers in my ears.

Luckily, I only ended up with a high pitched, temporary tone in my ears once every month or two that only lasts a couple minutes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloops posted:

Data centers...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

subterfudge posted:

Most I've shot in one day is about 40 as a loader and about 15 as a gunner. I had a bitching headache the entire evening.

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

That's just the beginning of it. You think you know loud. The only thing I ever encountered that was louder was standing some 60-70 meters away from 155mm arty firing. If those things didn't have barrels to somewhat dampen the gases coming out and instead just farted the pressure out the back I have no idea how loud they would be.

Fun Charlie Gutsache fact: there's a fat rubber ring right at the end of the rear bell. That's not a protection against it denting against something. That thing is a loving vibration dampener. If you fire the CG a few times without it, the vibration from the explosion will literally cause it to go out of spec because of the wear induced :blastu:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bloops posted:

pkells posted:

I used to maintain the ILS when I was active, and therefore spent a lot of time right next to the runway. I got to a point where if an F-16 taking off towards me wasn’t loaded up with anything, I wouldn’t even bother covering my ears. But if that jet was fully loaded with drop tanks and missiles, you bet your rear end I would jam my fingers in my ears.

Luckily, I only ended up with a high pitched, temporary tone in my ears once every month or two that only lasts a couple minutes.

I have some news for you gentlemen! My dad did 3500+ hours on Looking Glass in the 70s and has high-frequency hearing loss from it.

VA only rates low-frequency hearing loss.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Between Datacenters and C-130s/E-8Cs, I've got a ringing that comes and goes only in my left ear about three times a month. Only lasts 5-10 seconds.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Can like 3rd or 4th the CG being bitching loud and fun as gently caress to shoot.

Fun fact, don't shoot it standing in a puddle or you'll soak your boots and legs.

One of the best memories I have of the CAF is being on the CG range in LFCATC Meaford. There's a rusted out Sherman on the range and I was so gung ho like "yeah I'm gonna put a hole in grandpa's tank".

We each had two training rounds. First one is wildly off, so I adjust, and fire. I must have hit a weld or a sprocket or something because the thing just Sonic'd right on outta the range all GOTTA GO FAST with this awesome high pitched zinging sound. It looked like the fattest tracer you've ever seen headed deep into the training area.

In short Gustavs rule.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
this popped up in my youtube suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfx74JBz2EI

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I spent this week TDY at Idaho National Labs doing some :nsa: and when one of our hosts mentioned the engines for a nuclear-powered bomber I perked right up and asked if I could take a picture of the "flying crime against humanity." Luckily it was part of the tour anyway (along with a really good ice cream store).

As you might expect, something like this needs to be out in the middle of loving nowhere, which is why they put it in Idaho.

One of them, I think the second, apparently caught fire during testing and made part of the warehouse they were being built in hot zones for the next few generations.

Airman for scale. These things are loving huge, I think I've lived in houses smaller than them.

I love the verbiage in the last paragraph here, but the whole display is about how awful an idea it was, emphasizing that it was obsolete and unnecessary even when they conceived of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The NB-36 is one of the greatest Cold War projects.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

The NB-36National Interstate and Defense Highways Act is one of the greatest Cold War projects.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The museum there (EBR-1, the first breeder reactor and self-sufficient nuclear power plant) is p. good as well.

I, too, have a goony picture in front of the ANP testbeds.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

MRC48B posted:

The museum there (EBR-1, the first breeder reactor and self-sufficient nuclear power plant) is p. good as well.

I, too, have a goony picture in front of the ANP testbeds.

I'm definitely going to see if I can justify a trip back when it's open to check out all the cool nuclear stuff continue long-term collaboration with our DoE partners.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CommieGIR posted:

Between Datacenters and C-130s/E-8Cs, I've got a ringing that comes and goes only in my left ear about three times a month. Only lasts 5-10 seconds.

You’re lucky. I get a solid tone about 3-4x a week. Sometimes it’s hardly an annoyance and others it feels like a dagger in my ear.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That's on the list too. So is Project Pluto.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

Force de Fappe posted:

Most I've shot in one day is about 40 as a loader and about 15 as a gunner. I had a bitching headache the entire evening.

That's just the beginning of it. You think you know loud. The only thing I ever encountered that was louder was standing some 60-70 meters away from 155mm arty firing. If those things didn't have barrels to somewhat dampen the gases coming out and instead just farted the pressure out the back I have no idea how loud they would be.

Fun Charlie Gutsache fact: there's a fat rubber ring right at the end of the rear bell. That's not a protection against it denting against something. That thing is a loving vibration dampener. If you fire the CG a few times without it, the vibration from the explosion will literally cause it to go out of spec because of the wear induced :blastu:

The day I got qualified for it the instructor AGed for about 60 or so shots. He said he was definitely feeling it as the day went on.

For cool Cold War prototypes Project Pluto and the Dyna-Soar are my favorites.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Read about the SL-1 reactor incident for a good time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1?wprov=sfla1

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

Read about the SL-1 reactor incident for a good time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1?wprov=sfla1

that, Chernobyl, and three mile island incident reports were some fun classroom reading at powerschool.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

subterfudge posted:

The day I got qualified for it the instructor AGed for about 60 or so shots. He said he was definitely feeling it as the day went on.

For cool Cold War prototypes Project Pluto and the Dyna-Soar are my favorites.

So did they make sure during speccing / design that you're not getting a lil cumulative TBI every time you fire the thing or is it just lol yolo nobody has bothered to run the stats yet on what happes to CG instructors after retirement?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kawasaki Nun posted:

that, Chernobyl, and three mile island incident reports were some fun classroom reading at powerschool.

Yup, we covered it in reactor physics, its certainly eye opening.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I wish I could find a copy of that manual, but it's probably still classified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

aphid_licker posted:

So did they make sure during speccing / design that you're not getting a lil cumulative TBI every time you fire the thing or is it just lol yolo nobody has bothered to run the stats yet on what happes to CG instructors after retirement?

I think you know the answer.