Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

So did they make sure during speccing / design that you're not getting a lil cumulative TBI every time you fire the thing or is it just lol yolo nobody has bothered to run the stats yet on what happes to CG instructors after retirement?
the answer to this is *always* “what does your heart tell you?”

if i were a betting man i’d say they figured out real quick out dangerous it was and carefully avoided testing for it.

subterfudge posted:

Army was researching it and then abruptly stopped researching it and told everyone to forget about it.
waddayaknow. see if you just stick your head in the sand as far it’ll go, surely you can’t be liable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

What's up with the guys in the trenches? Is it better tbi-wise to have a gun fired next to you or a shell burst some meters outside your trench?
The TBI doesn't matter because the PTSD will always be horrid in the trench

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

IFVs tend to have autocannons right? If you're that close wouldn't that cause at least some damage
Depends on ammo, point and angle of impact but it's quite possible to mission kill an MBT with low double digit calibers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Technically a 16″ gun is in the low double digits.

and also a typical IFV caliber.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 26, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

So, that ammo definitely cost more than whatever would have been destroyed, right?
Not after you add deployment costs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Some kind of MLRS. Someone here probably knows specifically what system.
Prob israeli lar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAR-160#Mk._II_Rocket

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 22, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Carteret posted:

I Am Not A Tanker but i thought most modern tanks were turbines
DIESAHL. It's really only the M1 left.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the fuzing assembly probably did most of the damage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

If I had been in there me violently making GBS threads myself in fear would've done most of the damage
hi5

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PookBear posted:

'drawing enemy fire' isn't a real thing
lmao would you like to talk to anyone who's deployed to the middle east ever?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea, deliberately getting instigating a contact at like, a platoon or company level is not the same thing as one moron in your section running off down a hill to get shot at for no good reason.
Right, i didn't mean dumbassery was SOP, but maybe the idiots thread could convince us otherwise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm guessing because no one put their rifles down when people crossed infront?
There's like 10 flags in the first 5 seconds and then I stopped watching.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Fighters have been caught with NVGs for years. ATGMs are a lot less common in Afghanistan than the Syria conflict, but this isn’t looking from this twitter video like a MANPADS with night sight engagement.
that’s precisely what i thought

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Where the heck is that? Surely he didn't travel to northern Iraq, much less northern Syria
looks like kurds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Trigger discipline is apparently only taught by the US? Is that what that meme is saying?
It's dumb af.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IIRC that's from 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

There was some sort of mistranslation when it popped up yesterday that meant initially a whole lot of people flagged it as being old footage, which was then corrected after an hour or so. It happened in like 3 different threads.

e] it's more obvious when you see the original footage, it's absurdly high quality.
Thanks my B

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Turn it into solid color line art and Id unironically love it

Edit: give the chameleon cartoon angry eyebrows and it's perfect

yeah that patch is *so* close to greatness

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if the weld hadn't hosed with the original tube's hardening/temper there would have been no pressure-relief safety device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

^^^ edit: well that's an answer lol

From those of you with training/experience, what are the chances those hits have seriously hosed up the tank's optics? That is, if the bushmaster jammed, how likely the tank would be blind for shooty purposes?
In the initial video you can tell they expended their AP supply and switched to some kind of HE. Anything outside the armor on that T90 is *hosed*