Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What version you buying bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The full 600 dollar version God Bless Nintendo and yes I will be doing all the DLC and marrying the hottest babe

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ill probably be getting all 3 if the first one i play is as good as its supposed to be. supposedly all 3 together make a huge amount of game. theres no EU release date yet though qq.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bought conquest, and will probably play the Neutral Chaos 3rd story if I'm enjoying it, all 3 together sounds like a massive game but hell, it's a few years between FE games, maybe I'll just space it out nicely.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I don't own a 3DS OP :(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Have you tried looking for refurbished ones, either from Gamestop or Nintendo's website? They're very inexpensive there. Especially the 2DS models, which go for $75 USD last I checked.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

2ds on eBay for $50 friend

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I don't like these Hoshido dorks but I want to do all three stories and the difficulty curve seems like a good way to choose my order.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nneed to save my money for dark souls in april so i'll probably hold off and gwet the combo pack when it comes out

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

I don't like these Hoshido dorks

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

awakening was just ok :/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won't be.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i havent played an FE game since the GBA one

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

from what i heard the gameplay is a lot better this time

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

this and im not excited for the new games but i might buy them a lot later

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the gameplay changes they've made for this sound cool, but 90% of the info I could find about this game are about which new characters people wanted to gently caress. Strange times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yah it was my least favorite of the FEs I've played. But this one has a revamped priority system, where bows, magic and throwing knives (new weapon class) are part of it instead of the classic RPS mechanic. There's apparently a lot more flexibility with that stuff that leads to more fun strategies. And you can manipulate the environment now to change maps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i havent played an FE game since the GBA one

The GameCube one is my favorite. Cool maps, the transition from 2sprites to 3D models was amazeballs, lots of fun new units and you could control friggin dragon's. That game was awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

The GameCube one is my favorite. Cool maps, the transition from 2sprites to 3D models was amazeballs, lots of fun new units and you could control friggin dragon's. That game was awesome

that one's so ffucking good. i liked the wii one too even though it wasn't as good, level 3 promotions are cool and il iked the skill system

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'll not be buying it. Have fun OP

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Oni Savage is a real weird class. I like her but I hope she gets enough damage to one turn people soon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never played a Fire Emblem but I hope everyone enjoys this one :)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what the gently caress..............

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
None because I just can't get myself to get into this series despite owning multiple games in the series. It's not even an "ew anime" thing.

Cool concept for this game though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'll flip a coin when the time comes like how I decide Pokemon versions.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

http://youtu.be/AfQQ-WSObwU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

She's the reason I'm getting Birthright, because much like Pokemon I made my decision by looking at the exclusive characters and picking whichever one has the cooler looking characters without doing any further research at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I hated Awakening but I might buy Conquest if imps think it's good. Let me know. Later.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
maid is a cool class. i like this maid.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

Oni Savage is a real weird class. I like her but I hope she gets enough damage to one turn people soon.

yeah her strength is weirdly mediocre for how swole she looks, from what i've seen.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
she can't figure out how to use an iron club so she's not allowed to have crits until she hits D in axes/maces

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I still have barely played Awakening so I'll do that instead

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

she can't figure out how to use an iron club so she's not allowed to have crits until she hits D in axes/maces

It doesn't help that clubs deal less damage than axes in general, makes being stuck on E rank even worse

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

I'm expecting conquest to be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow, OP. Between this and Fantasy Life, I'm going to have some VERY strong rpgs to go with my upcoming spring feels.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DoctorStrangelove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZw9om_Ny5c
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

Addendum: If you've bought one from either the eshop or as a physical purchase, buy the other from the in-game DLC menu, do not buy the second from the eshop.
:siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren:Release date: February 19 in North America, Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo about Europe.:siren:

Fire Emblem that series that you piss and moan about whenever a character shows up in Smash or VGCW. The Fire Emblem series are turn-based tac-dick-all RPGs developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. The series has three main hallmarks that work together to make it unique. The first is each unit is a completely distinct character. They have their own name, portrait, class sets, personality, stat growths and new to Fates they each get a unique skill. Second, all stat-gains on level-ups are determined by the RNG, so a unit can be real stronk on one playthrough and then suck rear end on another. The third hallmark is that characters perma-die if fall in battle and as such can't be deployed for the rest of the game. If this happens I highly recommend restarting the chapter as having a unit perma-die can gently caress you over long term. You can disable perma-death in Fates but (somewhat ironically) I would only do so if you're a veteran to the series, as doing so trivializes the difficulty.

Fire Emblem: Fates is the 14th entry in this series. It differs from past games in that it's actually three games (as explained above). You take on the role of a kawaii-hime/whatever the male version of a hime is, use tac-dicks to lead your army of beautiful anime warriors to victory, and learn the importance of friendship in the process. Fates also lets you bang your step-siblings; a feature I'm told many people are looking forward to.

So what are the differences between these campaigns exactly? Well it's like this:

Birthright:japan:
You side with the nation of Hoshido. They're a bunch of peace-loving hippies and otaku-weebs. This is the easiest of the campaigns (at least initially), and will allow you to replay maps for more experience points. As such, if you plan on playing all three (which you should) then Birthright is probably gonna be the one you want to start with; especially if you are new to the series. This is the campaign that lets you skinship with your real* little sister.

Conquest:hist101:
You side with the nation of Nohr. They're a bunch of dark and edgy Euro-trash scum. This is the harder campaign, you can't grind. I'm of the opinion that whether or not to grind is a choice that the players should make for themselves but most you poo poo-fuckers seem to be unable to resist the allure of big-numbers and then blame the game when it is too easy after you've spent 20 hours grinding.

Revelation:cumpolice:
You're all like: "ALL Y'ALL NIGGAZ SUCK DICK!" and do yo' own thang. That thang being a bunch of dumb anime bullshit. You need to already own one of the other two in order to buy this one, and it assumes you've already one campaign to completion already. Harder than Birthright but grinding is still allowed. As is skinship with your real* little sister.

If you still don't know which one to buy don't worry, I made a helpful guide:

Links and poo poo:
Fire Emblem Megathread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
FE: Awakening thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528797
Serenes Forrest, a site with all the info about characters, skills, wepon and maps (just don't read their forums) - http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/
That weird blog that compares Ike and Ashnard to Robert E. Lee and Abe Lincoln respectively - http://www.koopatv.org/2015/02/ike-and-abe-thatd-never-happen.html

New features, changes and other bullshit:

-Weapon durability removed: Weapons no longer break after a certain number of uses. Instead most of them now have some sort of drawback to prevent you from always using the most OP ones
-wepon triangle changed: Bows and magic are now part of the triangle. As are the new throwing-dagger wepon.
-Pair-up reworked: Split into attack and support stances. Pair-up guys like in Awakening to get support stances; gaining stats boost and dual guard for the front unit. Putting two units not in support stance next to eachother can trigger attack stances, which is a much more consistent dual-attack mode. Enemies can also make use of pair-up now.
-Amiibo support: Now you can finally justify to yourself how you paid a scalp $175 for your Lucina amiibo. Using the amiibo gets you that character as a unit. Each amiibo unit has their own unique class and skills, but you cannot bang them. The Marth, Ike, Frank and Lucina amiibos will all work. No word about the Roy amiibo but that's ok because gently caress Roy.

-Personal skills: Playable characters have special skills unique to them in addition to their class skills. Most are inferior to the class skills, but some really do wonders for a character's usability.
-Memes: End here!
-New classes: Ninjas, Blacksmiths, Kinshi Kights, Werewolves, and Fighters who are also girls. And plenty of new skills to go with them, some of which are actually interesting!
-New special environmental ability bullshit thing that I don't give a gently caress what it's called: Use the royal characters to do poo poo like dry up lakes, destroy bridges, start sandstorms and other crap that fucks with the map. But be advised; enemy royals can use it against you.

-Gay-marrying Gay-Dio: M-preg not included.
-My Castle: A super fleshed-out version of Awakening's barracks. You can build crap, have your dudes run stores, outfit your soldiers with kawaii accessories, Fulton extract enemies and force them to join Animés San Frontiéres, and get invaded by other Private Forces over streetpass.
-Marriage/Buddy Seals: Change into the class of your waifu (who is poo poo).
-DLC: Some get you new classes, one is the obligatory beach DLC. There's also a DLC that gets you Anna as a playable (and bangable) unit. I cannot currently comment on the quality of the DLC.

-Questionable localization decisions: Changing "Revenant Knight" to "Malig Knight," "Belka" to "Beruka," "Tsubaki" to "Subaki," "Rinka" to "Rinkah." They changed "Majinaishi" to "Diviner" but left it's promotion as "Onmyoji" as is when they could have translated it to "Excorcist."
-A bang-maid: You can make that hoor your wife. Rum Ham not included.
-Skinship with your real* little sister: Nintendo doesn't think Americans can handle all the Staff~. Americans can handle the Staff~, however Nintendo of America believes skinship is best saved for marriage.

FAQ

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, would I be able to play this one and still have fun?
Yes. But if this is the case then be sure to start with Birthright, since it's the easier campaign.
What other FE games are good entry points into the series?
7, 8, 9, and 13. Stay away from the other ones until you've played one of those.
Do I have to gently caress my step-siblings?
No.
Can I gently caress my cousin?

This is probably being changed somehow for the international release.
Is this game gonna be good?
Probably.
Can I post spoilers in this thread?
The character named "Iago" is a badguy. The main character's mom dies early on and this drives their motivation in the first act of the story. This is a Fire Emblem game, not The Usual Suspects, nothing you can spoil is going to be so big that it completely changes the experience of the game if you know it going in. Treat this as a spoiler thread from here on out ok?
I thought skinship, with your real* little sister or otherwise, got removed, what happened?
You can only skinship with the guy you've married in the NA release (effectively removing any mechanical benefit from it). This includes your real* little sister.
I have incredibly strong feelings about skinship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
What's your favorite anime?
Generation Kill
Who is the objective best waifu?
Well my personal waifu is Rikku from Final Fantasy X (not X-2), who is not in this game. I do not know who the best waifu in Fates is, but it sure as poo poo ain't your trash waifu.
Where can I go to discuss that FExSMT game?
I don't think a thread for Tiki's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Idol Tendency has been made yet. Feel free to start your it or just use the FE Mega-thread linked earlier.

Hey how do I-
If you have any further questions ask in the thread. If there's a question that people keep asking over and over again I'll add it here.

*Not actually your real little sister.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like the castle so far

i dont know what skinshipping means but you can poke your units with a stylus and get their reactions like you could in pokemon amie which i thought was taken out

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

AIDS

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

jesus fcking christ

• Locked thread