Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

if you want to make a game, i think you're better off getting *something* together and working on it iteratively instead of figuring out the nitty gritty leveling curves and stuff. "fun" doesn't come on paper, you have to just get something working so you can tweak it and figure out what's fun, what's balanced, etc

that said if the project is more about having fun with numbers then enjoy yourself!

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Not a game-making guy but if you have something that seems it might work, maybe look at how small developers made their work possible through their own small studio or collaborating with larger ones. Perhaps if you contacted a dozen asking how they did it, what the biggest challenges were, what they wish they knew beforehand, and what tools they had to learn to use, you'll get a handful of useful responses.

Bright Bart

Looking to buy 2024 Cadillac Linq. Brand new or by sale by first owner with under 10,000 miles on it. Must have been modified to use a Linux based digital assistant.

I got like $50.

PrincessDoom

rear end-penny posted:

I'm glad to hear that. please, stay well friends!

Thanks, I have bronchitis and bordering on pneumonia. So glad I can finally breathe again.

B33rChiller

Oh, a pleasant surprise of a joyful human interest news story from the South tip of the local Island. Don't skip the video, as the duo give an interview. (Tough to make out the guy's response to where he works . Save on Foods is a regional grocery chain

https://www.cheknews.ca/dressed-out-of-the-70s-appearance-on-doorbell-camera-sets-off-a-digital-mystery-in-saanich-1196400/?amp

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

more falafel please posted:

if you want to make a game, i think you're better off getting *something* together and working on it iteratively instead of figuring out the nitty gritty leveling curves and stuff. "fun" doesn't come on paper, you have to just get something working so you can tweak it and figure out what's fun, what's balanced, etc

that said if the project is more about having fun with numbers then enjoy yourself!

:lol: yea, I was jumping right to the playing with numbers part. Can't remember what got me on that.

RavenousScoot

took a long walk outside in the rainstorm since it wasn't thundering or anything, watched the wormbirds peck around and take baths in puddles :^)

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
RavenousScoot

((it was very cold though so now I'm under 4 blankets))

((our heat isn't working rn :^( ))

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
Escape From Noise

I'm really glad to be home seeing friends and family. Leaving on April 1st. I think that's a good stretch of time. This town is pretty boring.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Bright Bart

I think this is really cool and also maybe a nice way to become whimsical/cheer the spirits:

https://www.treeoftheyear.org/vote
https://www.treeoftheyear.org/previous-years

The trees all get their own backstory written up!

Bright Bart

The big rule of restaurant menus is that if there are pictures of all the items printed in full colour it'll either be a disappointing meal or one of the best you've ever had.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Bright Bart posted:

The big rule of restaurant menus is that if there are pictures of all the items printed in full colour it'll either be a disappointing meal or one of the best you've ever had.

This Mexican place close to mine has a tv by the menu that cycles through pictures of the food. It accurately shows what stuff will look like and it's all very yum. I'm questionable about most places though. Google reviews is a cool way of getting actual photos of what to expect.

Bright Bart

nesamdoom posted:

This Mexican place close to mine has a tv by the menu that cycles through pictures of the food. It accurately shows what stuff will look like and it's all very yum. I'm questionable about most places though. Google reviews is a cool way of getting actual photos of what to expect.

Yeah I definitely mean actual photographs of the actual items. I think that rule of thumb is due to the idea of these restaurants being too small or indifferent to splurging on artistic arrangements and just taking the pictures themselves, or else having pride in what they actually serve. Sometimes it's an ethnic restaurant that's so authentic it would be difficult to translate the options into a way Westerners understand while appreciating how yummy it's supposed to look like. For some ethnic cuisine it's pretty much expected even by people from that culture and very familiar with what the item is. (And so out of habit you also have it done when it's a bland Westernized version catering exclusively to WAS locals or tourists.) And on the other hand hole-in-the-wall diners also do this way more often than inner city restaurants.

Combined, this means that you're either looking at reheated chicken balls or canned beans on stale toast, or the best stir fry with ingredients you can't pronounce the name of or ribs for which you'd kill for the recipe.

It's not exactly a warning but it is a sign to pay attention.

B33rChiller

The indie taco truck by the distillery near me moved to a full restaurant downtown. Boo. No walking distance tacos and gin tasters.
But a chain taco place opened even closer, and they can do gf pork al pastor no problem, 3 tacos for the price of 2 large McDonald's fries. I'll take the consolation prize, and hit the downtown place on special occasions.

Dr. Honked posted:

Escape From Noise

The guy at the weed store was very impressed with my Sunn O))) hoodie.

Goons Are Gifts

roomforthetuna posted:

My wife says can you *give* weed? Like "free weed when you buy a giant cookie", for example?

No, we cannot sell, buy or otherwise hand it over. You can grow up to three plants at home legally and own up to 50 grams at home, while carrying around 25grams in public.

In order to get it, there are so called cannabis clubs already in the making, where up to 500 members pay a regular membership fee and the club can cultivate cannabis on a big scale, handing out the resulting harvested weed for free or for the actual costs at maximum, there's no profit involved and you may not take money out of the club system, it's supposed to run on its members and on itself.

It's not great, like, the lack of having licensed shops where you can just buy weed was planned but EU law prevented that from happening, however this is the first step towards making it more accessible and to introduce shops in a second step later on
I'm glad we have it, it could be much better and is a rather weak law but for German standards this is like changing a law of physics! A huge step, and I'm happy about it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Heyyy, EFN...

Are you going to be in Seattle, say, the 27th-3rd at all? Cause I'm gonna be up there and I wanna buy you freakin pizza n weed.

Escape From Noise

Randy Travesty posted:

Heyyy, EFN...

Are you going to be in Seattle, say, the 27th-3rd at all? Cause I'm gonna be up there and I wanna buy you freakin pizza n weed.

Sorry. I'm leaving for Japan next Monday. No time in Seattle this time.

B33rChiller

That's big GAG! Perhaps there will be the opportunity for decent co-operatives to form before the greedheads get their mitts on the weed. (Hopeful wishes)

Dr. Honked posted:

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Goons Are Gifts posted:

No, we cannot sell, buy or otherwise hand it over. You can grow up to three plants at home legally and own up to 50 grams at home, while carrying around 25grams in public.

In order to get it, there are so called cannabis clubs already in the making, where up to 500 members pay a regular membership fee and the club can cultivate cannabis on a big scale, handing out the resulting harvested weed for free or for the actual costs at maximum, there's no profit involved and you may not take money out of the club system, it's supposed to run on its members and on itself.

It's not great, like, the lack of having licensed shops where you can just buy weed was planned but EU law prevented that from happening, however this is the first step towards making it more accessible and to introduce shops in a second step later on
I'm glad we have it, it could be much better and is a rather weak law but for German standards this is like changing a law of physics! A huge step, and I'm happy about it

3 plants sounds like so little compared to some places here. 25 grams in public is pretty nice. Way more than I've ever left home with for personal use.
I hope they file down some restrictions. Trading should be fair. Otherwise you run into sketchy poo poo where you smoke a joint with someone that bought the pizza and it's questionably legal?
People that smoked illegally aren't gonna be bothered much, still going to be less likely to get in trouble.

So, TinyDoom was alil bad early in the week, PrincessDoom got real sick during the late week, and I have felt like poo for sat and sunday. Not the order I'd have prefered, but hoping to wake up feeling awesome tomorrow or at least not have my head hurt when I cough.
This week was a bunch of nights I slept like 3-4 hours with one being only 2 hours. I was so tired already at the end of the week and then just woke up sat feeling disoriented and sweaty, weird since window was open and it was like 30 out.
Long way around to just wishing everyone a good week.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

Sorry. I'm leaving for Japan next Monday. No time in Seattle this time.

drat. I'll see when I'll be out your way then, I owe you 100 pizzas.

Finger Prince

Goons Are Gifts posted:

I think Spain has a similar type of system. One of the main reasons they set their laws up that way was to deliberately discourage weed tourism. You can't join a weed club without a Spanish ID card, so you technically can't get weed there without being a citizen/resident, so if you've got weed and aren't either of those, es muy sospechoso.
I think it works fairly well for them, otherwise. Grow clubs are actually a pretty good system if you want or like specific strains. Here if a strain doesn't have adequate sales, the gov't won't let any growers sell it with that name anymore, which is why you end up with poo poo like Dingleberry Fizz instead of Afghani x Skunk #1, even if it's the same genetics (if they even tell you the genetics, which mostly they don't). It pushes growers for yield and trade name recognition over quality, because a boutique grower won't be able to sell enough to meet the government quota for something different. (yes I'm still upset I can't get Northern Lights #5 x Haze anymore)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 25, 2024

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

People know so much about weed now. Pot nerds. It's pretty cool.

more falafel please

forums poster

i got some northern lights haze from the clearance menu a few months back, it was great and I'm always distrustful of sativa-heavy poo poo

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Finger Prince

i got some northern lights haze from the clearance menu a few months back, it was great and I'm always distrustful of sativa-heavy poo poo

Hazes are the bomb, but they do, and I mean this in the most literal and non-derogatory sense of the word, make you retarded the next day.

Escape From Noise

Steamed hams strain, when?

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

im weed

Bright Bart

Goons Are Gifts posted:

It's not great, like, the lack of having licensed shops where you can just buy weed was planned but EU law prevented that from happening,

I didn't realize this was the case.

But (and I hope I'm not talking out of my butt here) I think it may be against international law*,** to fully legalize the sale of recreational cannabis. It may or may not be against international law to even decriminalize possession. Someone smarter on this could maybe chime in.

*By international law I'm thinking either a decision by an international body pretty much everyone belongs to or else a treat agreeing to all keep drugs illegal that includes cannabis and that basically everyone is signatory to, a relic from the time when even more of those in power thought drugs would be the end of society and putting users in jail was the only way to stop them.

**Thankfully, Canada doesn't care

Bright Bart

You can get cannabis from lots of pharmacies in Poland with a prescription it's easy enough to also get.

It's just that it's stupid expensive like $50 a gram or something and you have to buy a couple at a time.

Someone told me that it's stronger than anything they've ever had from a dealer but uh, in Canada it's pretty much as strong as anyone would be comfortable with and less than $10 a gram.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I think they should decriminalize everywhere while working on making it legal. But then if you get caught, instead of jail or a fine, they make you smoke all the weed you have before you can leave. You're obviously going to be allowed snack breaks. That'll teach them druggies!

That's actually a kinda funny solution. You'd not wanna bring a bunch with to sell because it'd gently caress over your inventory, but you'd be fine if you just had a few joints.

Sorry, my brain is only half kicked on already today. I took a bunch of tussin and stuff 5 hours ago then fell asleep and woke up awhile ago. I'm feeling a heap better than yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Bright Bart

An imperfect loophole is to keep posession illegal while removing the crime of possession or even sale from the list of laws the police are licenced to enforce. Or if this is not possible because of technicalities in a jurisdiction, make the police have it officially at the bottom of their list of priorities, below continuing to move along the sidewalk, such that they could get in trouble for poor performance if they made an arrest or even wrote a ticket.

That last one sounds implausible since it would require the police authorities to make such a mandate, on their own or out of pressure from politicians, and the police union to accept the dickhead officers who still insisted on catching weedheads getting into trouble. But that was basically the deal in Montréal when I was there.

Man, Québec is a wild place. Super Catholic. Super conservative when it comes to things like language and immigration. But fais comme tu veux when it comes to drugs and sexual mores.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Bright Bart

Okay I'll finish off my spamming with a showerthought that got brought up by hearing the song a few times recently.

The line 'I think we're alone now' is a little bit creepy but also a little bit admirable.

It's like, you think you might be alone now? *That's* your standard for getting it on? The 'now' implies there were other people there just a moment ago and they may or may not have left.

On the one hand that's borderline exhibitionism and not cool without consent. On the other hand it's pretty ballsy to be like 'OK we've done the minimum to gather that nobody is for sure here, so if anyone is and sees anything that's on them they should have made a noise like coughed or something when things started clearly getting hot & heavy.'

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ok, they walked around the corner, I think we're alone now. Oh, wait someone else showed up, let's wait them out.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
also if the beating of your hearts is the only sound then it's quieter than I've ever experienced

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Goons Are Gifts

Finger Prince posted:

I think Spain has a similar type of system. One of the main reasons they set their laws up that way was to deliberately discourage weed tourism. You can't join a weed club without a Spanish ID card, so you technically can't get weed there without being a citizen/resident, so if you've got weed and aren't either of those, es muy sospechoso.
I think it works fairly well for them, otherwise. Grow clubs are actually a pretty good system if you want or like specific strains. Here if a strain doesn't have adequate sales, the gov't won't let any growers sell it with that name anymore, which is why you end up with poo poo like Dingleberry Fizz instead of Afghani x Skunk #1, even if it's the same genetics (if they even tell you the genetics, which mostly they don't). It pushes growers for yield and trade name recognition over quality, because a boutique grower won't be able to sell enough to meet the government quota for something different. (yes I'm still upset I can't get Northern Lights #5 x Haze anymore)
As a matter of fact, spain's system was the role model for the German model to came true! We are just in the starting of the matter, in six days clubs can legally be founded and start growing cannabis, the harvest of course will take some time, but since the possesson becomes legal in six days, too, this will boost illegal sales massively for a little while, until more people have legal sources for weed at hand.
Basically, in the reality of every day life, you can do whatever with weed now, but never be caught buying or selling it. As long as that's not the case and you don't go over the limits of what you may own and carry, the police will have no real way to bother you, as they can not know if you are member of a club, if you have a plant at home, or if someone you live with does. So yeah, it's a start and I do think that once the clubs are a bit settled in and have some noticable amount of members, stuff will turn better.

The only big downside that I personally see is that our clubs are at a maximum of 500 members. Since you cannot profit from the club in any way and money that goes into the club will stay in the club, it is a closed economical system, which limits the size and therefore abilities the clubs can offer. Bigger clubs, with more members, more money that goes into the system, allows bigger scale growth in that club, more members to benefit from that. I'm not saying I want them to go full capitalist and sell that poo poo industrially, but I am concerned that at 500 members, the mass of bureaucratic effort you have to put into it, the money you need to make basic stuff work is too limited to really compete with the black market.

A simple case in point, right now, there are more than 600 clubs registered in my state already. You cannot find a single one online, though, the number comes from the statistics of the government that have received the paperwork for club registration. The reason for that is that almost all of these clubs are only a few single dudes, like, two or three pals, that handed in the paperwork, and they already have to follow a plethora of regulation and paperwork, so they do neither have the money, nor the time to buy and maintain a proper website, to advertise for new members, to get started with a number of plants and a proper place to grow them in etc.
I do hope that I am wrong and these clubs will eventually be self-sufficient and big enough to make stuff like online representation, member advertisement/some possible way that you can FIND and therefore JOIN a local club (that's my current problem!) and that this club can make it happen to properly grow and farm cannabis in a meaningful matter for its members without going bankrupt on the way, but I am concerned that the member limit will prevent that from happening.

Goons Are Gifts

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't realize this was the case.

But (and I hope I'm not talking out of my butt here) I think it may be against international law*,** to fully legalize the sale of recreational cannabis. It may or may not be against international law to even decriminalize possession. Someone smarter on this could maybe chime in.

*By international law I'm thinking either a decision by an international body pretty much everyone belongs to or else a treat agreeing to all keep drugs illegal that includes cannabis and that basically everyone is signatory to, a relic from the time when even more of those in power thought drugs would be the end of society and putting users in jail was the only way to stop them.

**Thankfully, Canada doesn't care

Depends on what you are going after, international law beyond international unions or clubs like the EU can only be based on contracts between states, sometimes coordinated via the UN or the NATO or institutions like that and I would not know that there is some sort of general international ban of enacting laws like that in our national state. I do not really know why the EU does not allow us to have licensed shops, while the Netherlands, that are a full member of the EU, does have that (but I know that the coffee shops are somewhat sketchy, law-wise), or how the author of our and Spain's law setup want to go beyond the club system towards proper selling and buying weed in shops openly. However, as far as I read about it, there are movements about all of this stuff, with more and more states at least working on the matter in some way - imagine in portugal, also a member of the EU, every drug is legal, even hard drugs! - so that in the future will have more liberalization in the long term.
It's huge for an eternally conservative country like Germany to liberalize weed like we just did, given that our conversative party, the CDU, has ruled this country for the majorit of time since the funding of the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949, but the past thirty years has expanded our party system massively. We went up from three parties - two big, one small to support either of the big one - to now eight parties that are represented in the federal parliament, so stuff is changing a lot since the re-union of Germany in 1989 and everything becomes possible! Everything includes good stuff that was about time, like legal weed, as well as bad things, like having a 20% strong straight up nazi party sitting in parliament that are literally publicly planning to deport minorities again.

Sorry, I didn't plan to get all political here, just to summarize our situation in the shortest way possible for those who don't know about German stuff! Either way, the legal weed is huge for our country, gay marriage came in a few years ago, too, that was a BIG thing, too, so we are getting somewhere! Slowly, but we are!

Goons Are Gifts

In much more interesting news, I haven't been able to sleep much lately for some reason, but thanks to my heart monitor ERnie and my oxygen supply O2wald I was able to go out at night and watch some ANTS doing ANT business!

I am currently searching for my old colony that lived at my home and that I released into the wilderness of the patch of grass next door two years ago (since I was in hospital for too long and couldn't take are of them anymore in the way I felt they needed and deserved) and I have found out that even though we are still young in this year, there are already at least FIVE ant colonies living next door by now, at least two of them are of the species of my old colony!
The size tells me they must be older than a few years, so, either a new colony moved in next door over time, or my colony has grown too large and split into two, that might have happened, too!

What I am saying is, I love ants, thanks ants.... thants. :anttony:

Goons Are Gifts

No worries, if you have thought that the past years of being constantly ever increasingly ill and being out of my original job of research stuff at the university would have hindered my fascination in ants to wither, I can guarantee you, it has only grown!!

Ants Are Great. :colbert:
Grants.

Goons Are Gifts

Today I've sent out the application to help voluntarily for the next EU election we have in June!
Curious if I may be picked out and can help count the votes and stuff, always wanted to do that, but never found the courage of actually trying it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Goons Are Gifts posted:

No worries, if you have thought that the past years of being constantly ever increasingly ill and being out of my original job of research stuff at the university would have hindered my fascination in ants to wither, I can guarantee you, it has only grown!!

Ants Are Great. :colbert:
Grants.

i just realized that you were the person years ago with the any colony thread in here

i really enjoyed learning about them, ty for your service

it was the very first thing I ever saw in byob (bring your own bugs)

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 25, 2024