Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Nothing completely new, yet, but we had a steppe eagle come over. It is most likely the one that has been overwintering farther to the south. We've got a bunch of atypical early arrivals though, mostly warblers and other small birds that are at least a week too early. I live in a place that's situated on (under?) a migration route, so we are bound to get all sorts of interesting birds in the coming months when they go north to breed.

That's rad. I've gotta get back to playing wingspan and get on top of my identification game. I've been checking out some little songbirds that I used to be able to name, but forgot. They've been showing up on my patio, trying to get into the tub. Just hopping around on top of the net squeeking away. Ok little dudes, I'll open it up for you. You don't mess anything up in there, or eat the fish, so you're cool. Lemme go get some suet and sunflower heads I saved from last fall.
spread it out on the patio, and go back inside and watch from behind my houseplants and sliding door
Petey and I like to sit there in the sunbeam and watch the little birdies. He starts chittering sometimes when he sees them.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

emSparkly posted:

I’m a noob and so can someone tell me why we hate the coupon place?
Because they refuse to pay full price, and we always pay full price, as is proper.
It's the least controversial/politically charged/ most benign forum for us to make up a pretend fued with

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

I can second the top notch advice of Randy.
I would add a little of my own experience. I had my nipple pierced, and I can tell yah the clamp they use to hold your skin hurt an awful lot more than the actual piercing itself.

Also, I got a little maple leaf over my heart, thinking I'd never have a reason to be ashamed of my country. I later learned more history, and can at least take the consolation that it's a small, easily covered symbol, and not quite a universally recognized negative connotation.

I had heard the advice of only ever tattooing the names of your children, as you might able to expect to love them forever, regardless.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Every dental professional will tell you not to put metal in your mouth too. Teeth don't grow back after your second set. Broken and chipped teeth are permanent.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

I have a Q about ear piercings. Schoolyard rumor when I was a kid was a single earing on the right was a male queer code thing. Does anybody know if there's a kernel of truth to that?
Relatedly, what might a girl with a single ring on the right be signaling?

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

LoL Emily's shirt

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

My bullshit detector was telling me from day one to suspect what y'alls just confirmed to me.
I'm not tuned in to the othering, and not tuned in to any possibly real signals closeted folks might employ. I was more wondering if my daughter might be inadvertently signaling anything with only her right ear pierced? Only to idiots who are prone to believing bs, if anything, so that's cool.

Not gay myself, but more of an enjoyer of gay friendships and gay cultural products.
I got to use "Dad gay, so what?" sincerely with my neighbor buddy the other day. Had a little esoteric chuckle to myself over that.

Eta: I've felt most comfortable drinking in lesbian bars, as a cishet cracker. The milieu seemed to make it easier for me to believed that my (honest) interest was platonic. I just wanted to meet people, and there was less tension, when people know that I know they won't have any sexual interest in me right from the get go.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 22, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Ominous Jazz posted:

Maybe she's a pirate and she has the earring so that if she goes overboard it will pay for her funeral
Makes sense she'd rebel and pick a profession I have a beef with.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

My nipple ring and nipple are supportive of your piercing, regardless of the piercing's orientation and/or preferences.

Why didn't anybody tell me about gay school?
I mean, in my younger days, while learning more about who I am, I had questions and curiosity. If I'm honest, I still do, but have a better understanding of my own sexuality than in earlier days. Some schooling might have helped. Had to friggin learn this through denial and error.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

roomforthetuna posted:

I think the keyboard layouts differ and not necessarily the characters you might type. British English does have some legit differences too (currency-pound-sign on the 3, so then the # ends up somewhere else), but for Canada I would expect it's just some sort of slightly difference convention like displacing some of the symbols on the key to the left of 1 to somewhere else, but all the available characters are the same.
More the dictionary than keyboard layout, really. Spell check doesn't trip up on cheque or toque or colour if set to canuck

We do a hybrid setup
Go to the tire centre and get some new rubber.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Yeah, "beanie"

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

alnilam posted:

Since learning a few years ago about the word toque I've wondered how it's pronounced, is it french-ish like "toke" or spanish-ish like "to-kay" or english-ish like "toe-kway" or wat
The syllable "2" with a k consonant sound to finish. Only one syllable in total.
https://voca.ro/1fqDLRJCCNPh

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Subscribed for good vibes and arts while this hospital trip sets you up for success, Herr Great!

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

In any case, you should probably make yourself a comically tall top hat out of construction paper. Class the joint up a little. Maybe a silk sash and a cape?

Don't forget your dapper cane and monocle.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

I was also thinking Canadian vs US English. There really isn't much difference in the actual key layout in that case. The England English layout has different stuff like currency symbols, and quotation marks.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

That's quackers!
duck pals all happy you came to see them again. Just lovely

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

alnilam posted:

I use a q-tip like maybe... once a month? and many (10+) years ago i could only find a 500 pack so i have in fact moved with it many times. It's still half full.
Just bought my second box since the turn of the century. Dr. wasn't happy when I mentioned using one in my ears, so they get used more for applying small amounts of ointment, detail cleaning/oiling small firearm parts, or using isopropyl on electronics.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

SPROINGTIME rains are here, thank Marduk!
Checkout this nerd thing.
Top measurement is from in my terrarium,
then a shady spot in the back yard, and the third remote reading is on a shelf, just outside my front door (North facing).
They take AA cells, so I can slap some Nimh rechargeables in there. I'm very pleased
In addition, I bring an important message from our siblings in the BC public service

I mentioned the terrarium, so here are some pics. It's set up underneath the workbench I use as an aquarium stand. There's a flood clamp lamp, and I crammed a couple cheapo narrow tube LED lights in the underside railing, opposite a mega long power bar that runs pretty much the entire length. Great for the hundred and one individual small air pumps, fans and lights I have rigged up. I was worried about the whole don't plug too many things in at once idea, but none of the lights are incandescent. In any case, I'm an enginerd, and was curious, so I picked up an inline power meter. The fish tanks, terrarium, all the lighting, pumps, fans, and a household hepa filter draw a max 668W, and seem to idle around 100 when the thermostats have the heaters off. LEDs are such a leap in efficiency, wow.

Takeout containers for propagating aquatic moss. Keep it wet, give access to oodles of light and carbon dioxide, and it's party time :toot:

Tryna do the same sort of thing on larger Lava stones, get the moss to grip it. See also: the two small survivor bucephelandra kedegang in there with the moss. My snails keep rough housing and knocking the little guys all over, so they end up growing floating free.

begonia tubers have sprouted!

I convinced a cherry tomato cutting to root in my aquarium! Heh, sucker.

Looks like the clouds are rolling in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT84OznG36I

Eta: the average power consumption for the whole rig across the 3 weeks I've recorded has been 4.21kWh/day

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 26, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Ooh, I didn't realise that had transparency. Ooooh.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

baka of lathspell posted:

trying to quit nicotine again, posts always bad without nicotine, Sorry if posts bad as usual, & i have a colde too i think

You're alright, it's the nic that's poo poo.
Have a noisy thump thump, fresh off the jam
https://voca.ro/1gkNdrCKWm1M

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

nesamdoom posted:

F(ine )art
Here's a half hour documentary full of fine art, music, and folk instruments. Kindly subtitled in English prior to uploading to Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_3ipGIys0

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Could use a little more rain over here, tbh. Winter was far too dry, and the mountain snowpack didn't get a chance to build up. If we don't get a bunch more, it looks like it could be another fiery summer.
I would appreciate if we could have some time off the wood smoke smell. Summer time the forests burn, and blanket the province in smoke. Winter time, the neighbors across the street light their wood stove, and choke the hell out of it, so the greasy smoke comes out the chimney and turns a 180, pouring down the side of their house, and pooling at ground level around the neighborhood.
Open some air to the drat thing, and burn dry, seasoned wood please!
The first summer this site https://aqicn.org/here/ told us we were in the hazardous ratings, I picked up a couple of these hepa filters
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077B3X6DK/ref=twister_B0CJ34W9T6?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 They made a huge difference. If anyone is having troubles with smoke / dust / animal dander, get you a hepa filter for your living spaces.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Ooh, good morning. I woke up a couple hours early to this pleasant post from GAG, and a txt from my landlord checking if I'm OK, and if I have rent money for him.
Oops!
My landlord isn't like many others. It wasn't an angry text, just "you ok for rent?".
He has rented to me for way below market rates for years now. We were also groomsmen at each other's weddings, and college classmates, and we went to sea onboard the same ship in our first co-op work phase for college together.
I feel pretty lucky.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Escape From Noise posted:

unless the bearer can pass a simple proficiency test
They should get on Marty's level.
https://youtu.be/LqIrgdVViB8?si=WG3tHyTdW_r6B_tE

Dude loved Japan so much he got a gig as a cultural ambassador.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe some Dal makhani and some onion bhajis?
& papadum is my vote. Sorry I'm late, had to have a four hour early evening nap

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

xcheopis posted:

Live cam of Harbor Seals and live cam of Little Owls and it's cherry season! Life is good-ish.
Cornell lab has a bunch of great live feeder cams from around the world, so no matter the time of day, there's a chance you can catch sight of a cool bird.

When my kitties were still little, I'd put on recorded feeder cams with birds and squirrels in little dioramas on my tablet, and put it on a stand right by my bed. The cats would always paw at the screen, and skip the videos. I found a solution in an app made for Parkinsons sufferers. It locks the touch input so you can read without accidentally tapping away. The unlock is a quadruple tap within a specific circle.
Perfect. The kitties can paw and sniff the screen all they like.
Both Petey and Charlie (rip) loved watching their birdy shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txk-5g1E1J0

Barking Gecko posted:

Coffee. It's good. :coffeepal:
:sludgepal:

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

alnilam posted:

I've gone on a couple work trips recently for the first time in years and it was my first time watching cable TV in like, 20 years? it was very strange, seems everything is a multi hour marathon now, every other channel is infomercials with titles in the little guide menu thing that sound straight out of clickbait fake headline stuff, like "Former marine gets big payout from camp lejeune settlement" or "16 signs of big kidney problems"

the good part is there's usually some movie channels with some agreeable movies
The real shocker in these situations tends to be when you flick to an American channel, and it's a steady stream of pharmaceutical ads.
Ask your doctor if our latest stuff is right for you (doesn't matter what ails you, just see if you can get a script. Buy MOAR DRUGS)

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

I just watched a pair of doves harass a crow off the powerline in front of Mt place. Seems out 9f character to me. Maybe the crow was hassling their nest? It was on its own for some reason too. I sometimes see lone crows around the neighborhood, usually dropping acorns or mussels on the road. But most often, it's a big murder of them, turning over leaf piles, and cawing up a storm.

I know I'm starting out in the red with them, having Petey around, so I try to make it up to them with food, and saying hi, and doing obvious helpful things, like turning over big rocks and leaf piles while they watch from the power lines.

Battle mode in Mr. Driller drill land is a surprising hit with little chiller and I.
She really doesn't like fighting enemies and time based challenges. She gets frustrated easily. But, the first time she accidentally knocked me down, and went on to win the round, she was all giggles! The kind of girl that refuses to leave the home village in Kirby and the Forgotten land. She does enjoy
Mariokart and horizon chasers though. I don't mess with her, as it's tough enough to get her to play a videogame with me.
She plays minecraft with her mom. I get overwhelmed and anxious as all hell playing minecraft. Too open ended, and the complex possibilities get me panicky.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 8, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

Rock doves, which are probably the only doves you're ever going to see, nest on flat spaces. Perhaps their nest was on a nearby ledge or something.

This morning I watched a crow chase a couple other crows away by repeatedly dive-bombing them. If I knew more about birds, I might be able to offer a better explanation for both of these incidents.
Nah, these ones go dahdooot doot, not coo coo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

This time of year marks the annual return of the LOUDEST GODDAMN BIRDS SUDDENLY OVERHEAD in the few, fleeting moments between lawn mowers droning.
https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/community/cf-snowbirds-arrive-in-comox-for-annual-spring-training-announce-schedule-7351638
Thankfully there is only ever 9 of them in the flock.

There is a small civil aviation runway not far from where I live, so I'm used to seeing small single engine planes, like Cessnas, etc, idling in low over my backyard, as they approach for a landing, but it's a hell of a surprise to suddenly have a bunch of jets flying tight packed, doing a banked turn perpendicular to the usual glide path, at the same low altitude where I can clearly make out the emblems painted on, just suddenly show up, only hearing them as they appear peaking over the big trees!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

cruft posted:

I moved to Seattle as part of a self-created program to deal with social anxiety. Before the move I was afraid to even call out to order pizza. Then I move out and one week later I'm naked and covered with mud in a toy swimming pool in some stranger's back yard.

So... that worked out okay.

The old "Fuckit, jump with both feet!" approach, eh?

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I know of a louder bird, probably:
I was referring to the air force demonstration team, which flies by their own rules, and can show up reeaaally close overhead, and a bunch of them packed together nearly close enough to shake hands. Not idling, either. Big acceleration roar x9.

Grumble grumble.
Cool to see stunt formation aerobatics though.

But those birds seem interesting too. Going to see if merlin has audio.

LoL bird app has 1.7 gb dlc bird pack for just Brazil.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 10, 2024

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Oh cool, thanks for the update. I had a fun half a round of Carcassonne with my girl after dinner the other night. She's getting old enough to learn most of the rules and some strategy too.
That's a good game to ease into playing with kids. You can start by just matching the sides of tiles and working on taking turns. They can do whatever with their meeples, then start adding rules as they get older and better able to follow along. We're scoring cities and roads now, practicing counting with the board, and doing simple addition. Teaching how to take over a city or road, without stomping her, just pointing out options and helping her see what might be better placement. It's neat to see the gears turning, plans coming together.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

nesamdoom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoORfpMRfIU

Who is it that posts their cool stuff that can do audio fuckery?
I like to do audio fuckery, but sampling is a magic I've not messed with much at all. That is a :krad: jam though!

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Shiiiiit.
Here's some chill, live from the back patio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ56HMdJSdc

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Finger Prince posted:

I see some that use plastic clips or fasteners, but that's not really ideal depending on the placement and fabric and if you want to match thread colours. Are there ones that will do it with thread? I really don't want a fancy expensive sewing machine just to mend the odd button.
That's a job for your local tailor / seamstress / theatre company's costumer. Save up a few buttons that need fixing, and bring em in the next time you want to get a pair of trousers hemmed. Can't take a pro very long, and I might imagine you could get a few done within the minimum hourly labor charge (they bill like mechanics, right?)

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

Indiana superior Court so arrogant as to believe themselves taco authorities.
They bring shame upon the administration of justice.

Dr. Honked posted:

B33rChiller

madmatt112 posted:

I got one of those 510 cartridge vapes and boy howdy she wasn’t kidding when she said it would rock me if I’ve only vaped dry flower thus far. I was thinking in colours for a good hour
So much nicer, and way more powerful than huffing the exhaust out of a joint, eh?

Dr. Honked posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

madmatt112 posted:

absolutely more powerful! I don’t know about nicer lol, I coughed like a motherlover - it felt like there was ice in my lungs for a few moments! crazy stuff. good value for the money at least haha
Well, none of the charcoal taste, nor carbon monoxide. It is a finely atomized mist of essential oils, so some irritation might be expected. The thing that trips a lot of people up is when it doesn't immediately taste like smoke, and they might not think they are getting much in the puff, so they draw harder, and inhale a big puff real deep. It won't irritate immediately, but after a second or two of contact time with the airways, BOOM!
sometimes gets the lungs sweating a little.

Dr. Honked posted: