Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
Hey guys
Friend just gifted me an account so I'm pretty stoked to finally get involved in the community

also the fact that every image in here is subtle rotating is making me pretty disoriented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
Oh, I don't actually have an issue with it. If anything, it adds to the aesthetic.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :wave:

Thank you! Appreciate the welcoming :) It seems like a lovely crowd around here.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hello what's your stance on memes?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Me, I like them.

I dabble.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Macnult posted:

Welcome to the 'yob, HighwireAct :)

FluffieDuckie posted:

memes are something that are ok in small amounts and completely awful in large volumes. this forum is really only big enough for the wednesday frog meme imo

also welcome highwireact :wave:
Thanks, guys!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
thanks again @everyone

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

welcome to byob highwire act, do you have any unguarded chickens you'd like to tell us about? what is your favourite time of night to take a long solo walk on the moors?
1) no but Cow and Chicken was a childhood classic
2) haven't walked the moors in a while but 2AM is a solid time to do just about everything

Jerry Cotton posted:

oh gently caress i read it as highwirecat
you're not wrong

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

I am The Fury posted:

Hello BYOB, I like to chill. I don't like the taste of coffee but I like how it keeps me awake for work so I drink it anyways

welcome to the forum!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
I would love to see someone remake that game and make it actually good

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
in other news I found this deeply concerning Playmobil clone at a bookstore today

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Zyla posted:

whoops i fell asleep for most of the day

my chronic condition sure is annoying.

I just dont like how coffee or tea tastes. and I love the taste of red bull.

im gonna die of a heart attack i know

you've gotta up your game
I've been dead for years now

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

I am The Fury posted:

I just took a coffee break and some jerk turned off the pot warmer for the company machine. I had a room temperature cup of coffee because of this. On one hand I was upset because I depend on not being able to taste the coffee from how much it burns, but on the other hand I am thankful because now I will be able to taste dinner. I think it's supposed to be meatloaf tonight :fork:

A lukewarm cup of coffee is one of the most depressing drinks this world has to offer

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
Just curious: how long did you guys spending lurking before you first posted in the other forums/subforums? I think I got a little too eager with the posting after I registered, and now it seems like a good idea to slow down and get a better grasp on the culture here before going forward anymore.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
Yeah, it seems like it's really dependent on which subforums you're posting in. Different ones are going to hold you to different standards, so you've got to adjust your post quality to go along with that. I think I made the mistake of making threads waaay too early on.

the line between shitpost and good old college try is very thin

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
thanks guys!
in hindsight it seems like that response was prompted 99% because of my reg date, because this effort post ended up getting a pass somehow

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Hogge Wild posted:

Also HighwireAct, all the cool kids have avs, and if you want help about choosing one, go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772789

And after that get a sig from here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772789

Sick, thanks for the advice! Do you need a platinum account to get an avatar? If that's the case, I should probably upgrade first, but I'll definitely request a sig

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

hexenmexen posted:

I don't understand this thread, so many memes being reposted. Anywho hello and yeah I think one should take some time lurking for a good decade before posting.

welcome to the forum, hexenmexen!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One of my colleagues started from an AA and ended up finishing his PhD in like four years after graduating from a prestigious university, so you're not safe! :ohdear:

don't worry, I just got vaccinated, so I've got no risk of catching it

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
whoa

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
I think the response he gave in my Ask/Tell thread seemed harsh at first, but it really made me more cognizant about my post quality and forced me to slow down and actually take the time to pore over some of the other popular posts to get a feel for the kind of quality the better threads tend towards in different subforums. I don't 100% agree either, but I can see where he's coming from

that being said I think this subforum is really chill and I appreciate that so I'll def be sticking around :slick:

happy early wednesday

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
lmaoooooo

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Ostentatious posted:

you should ask yourself "is this post funny to me?" instead of trying to fit in with what others find funny and the perception of their specific sense of humor.

the worst thing that can happen is someone doesn't find your post funny, and that's alright. but there is no such thing as a wrong sense of humor and anyone that says otherwise is a big jerkaroo

Yeah, the issue with that post particularly was less about humor and more about setting up an OP with a good jumping-off point for discussion. He didn't have to be a knob about it though

I don't worry a whole lot about my humor here though; I don't remember ever being an egregious shitposter on any of the other forums I've been a part of, so it shouldn't be a problem here

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 18, 2016

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
lookin good
are those mushrooms on top

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
only 9 more months till Valentine's Day

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Rasmussen posted:

I think my advice would be, just be honest and be true to yourself and don't take anything personally, especially from people on the internet.

Lately I try to post like if I was saying the words to a person standing in front of me.

Love and respect everyone even if you disagree!

thanks for the advice :)
love the positivity out here!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think your D&D thread is doing really well, buddy!

yeah, I was totally surprised that it caught on! The discussion happening has been really solid so far

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

FluffieDuckie posted:

I normally enjoy visitors from other forums but yesterday's visitor made me sad so I'm a little concerned

I can't fathom how he's managed to stay bitter for the whole 15 years he's been here

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Zyla posted:

I am actively looking for a new career. It's too stressful.

Its why i love the yob so much, sanctuary...

yeah I spent some time in the DnD forums checking out the political threads, and it makes me appreciate the positivity here so much more

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Yobgoblin posted:

do u play dnd tho?

never have, actually

well I played one time when my friends and I used to do a weekly board game/drinking night and it was v fun

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
honestly, I was surprised it's stayed so civil, but I'm very happy that it has

can't say the same about “Political Correctness in Comedy”

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Hogge Wild posted:

dd has the angriest posters and the most death threats, suicide requests and personal attacks

it's main function is to keep sa's worst posters away from the better forums

if you have managed to make a good thread about bideo james there, you should try to negotiate peace in the middle east. though tbh, my guess is that it won't be civil for long

maybe I have a future in diplomacy after all

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
found this lil beb snoozing at a local bookstore today

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Ostentatious posted:

I moved into an Embassy Suites recently and it is a vastly superior experience

free breakfast!!!!!

sounds pretty suite

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Barking Gecko posted:

I've lurked a while, so now I must obey the rules and post.

Random observation: BYOB regulars have interesting sigs.

Random factoid: Tomorrow I am being recognized by my employer for twenty years of service. The free lunch and the afternoon off are the best part of the deal, though.

Oh, and I'm a lawyer, but mostly I'm a librarian and a network admin.

Peace out.

welcome!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

shinmai posted:

ive been straight for almost five years now but im thinking about having a beer and this does not feel good

ill try and drown my cravings into a pile of sushi

stay strong dude
you've got this

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

shinmai posted:

Restaurant Jufu at the Central Railway Station in Helsinki, if you ever happen to visit) we visited had their soda fountain set *just right* so that the Pepsi Max tasted incredible.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
welcome to the forum JaneError! your cats are adorable!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

shinmai posted:

I didn't want to poo poo up the very good apps thread with this but wanted to get it out of my system:

While I was sleeping, someone sent me an IM on ICQ (in tyool 2016, wtf) telling me to "cool my jets" and stop "wasting time & effort effortposting in the shitposting forum".

First, I'll never cool my jets, my jets will now and forever be on full blast 24/7.
Second, effort posting in byob has been some of the best time I've had on SA. This is a chill and cool place, but a place where good posts are appreciated and not just some meme recycling machine where everyone is ironically shitposting in shitpost threads just to compete who is ironically the biggest idiot.

you're doing fine, man; that guy sounds like a bitter tool. this is just a forum to be laid back and positive in, and i think your attitude and posts really add a lot to it, so don't sweat it :)
i honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was that one rear end in a top hat from earlier in the thread.

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

alnilam posted:

*the bitter icq troll sees the continued good posts in the app thread, furrows their angry grinchy brow*
It came without upvotes!
It came without #tags!
It came without facebook likes, re-tweets, or lag!

alnilam posted:

Every yob down in yobville, the tall and the small, were posting without any upvotes at all! He hadn't stopped good posts from coming at all!

edit:

Splatmaster posted:

Every Yobber Down in Yobville Liked BYOB a lot,
But the Litany of Gulps most certainly Did NOT!
They hated the Yob! With tons of malfeasance!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be their head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that their shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all,
May have been that their heart was two sizes too small.
Whatever the reason, their heart or their shoes,
The Gulp loitered at the Yob, seeing who's who,
Staring down from their cave with a sour troll frown,
At the warm well-meaning posts they'd written down.
For the troll knew that the Yobbers were nice ,
The Gulp had a heart that was cold as ice.
"And they're complimenting each other" the troll snarled with a sneer,
"I must give these Yobbers something to fear!"
The Gulp read through the threads and ransacked posts
And soiled the writings of the Gulp's good-natured hosts!
Then they growled with troll fingers drumming,
"I must find a way to stop more Yobbers from coming!"
So they posted a post filled with hatred and fear,
"There's no way after that new Yobbers will appear!"
The Gulp stared down at Yobville, the troll popped his eyes
Then they shook, what they saw was a shocking surprise!
Every Yobber in Yobville, big sig files and small
Was still posting new threads without any care at all!
And the troll who stood with their feet in the cold
Looked upon the forum and said "how could it be so?"
Maybe good posts can't be bought in a store
And a Gulp like you can't give us the what for!
So the new posts continued, and lurkers still came
Seeking out their fortune and looking for fame
If you listen closely you can hear the sobs
Of an unwanted poster shunned by the Yob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
my quotes are empty but my love is brimming over