Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

started pplaying it again now that the last expansion's out and it's still fuc king great. good writing, good gameplay, and most of the sstuff that didn't work at launch's been fixed. the stronghold's way cooler now, classes that kind of sucked feel a lot better and have more interesting talents and what i've seen of the expansion is ggreat. very good game, one of the best of last year, if you haven't played it you should and if you have maybe consider going back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

going through as a shark monk now, it sucks that there's only three portraits for them so i had to use this guy again:

monk's great, i do a shitload of damage and it's not as micro-heavy as i'd heard,.it's got a lot of strong passives and the buttons you get when you have wounds are sick as hell

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought it on Steam sale this week, I'm building a new PC so I'm excited to play it and hopefully recapture some of those Baldur's Gate feels

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's very good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I bought it on Steam sale this week, I'm building a new PC so I'm excited to play it and hopefully recapture some of those Baldur's Gate feels

the feels are strong in this one, they did a good job of getting the style down. they put a lot of care into it too, i'm doing a commentary run and it's cool how many little things they tucked into every zone, i missed a byunch of it on my first run

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grats on the new pc btw

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Can I play this on a crummy laptop or is it more intensive than the old games

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ddpends how crummy, it's definitely more intensive than like bg2. i think there's something in the expansion patch that's making my gpu do some work too, keep hearing the fan kick on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its a very pretty game and it looks good but all the systems and heavy stuff scared me off

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

owe it to myself to beat it one day though, cause i kind of spent 20 on it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I really want to like this game but its just to complicated for me. I can recognize that it's epic though

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

I really want to like this game but its just to complicated for me. I can recognize that it's epic though

it's not too bad, like it was one of the first of the genre I've ever played and I managed to get to the end alright. There were a few enemy types that always killed me like banshees. Someone gave me some good advice on those but I forgot

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
It wasn't like it confused me or anything.. I got pretty far iirc. I just starting getting stressed out about all the numbers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah i got that too. most numbers pretty much don't matter on any difficulty but the highest and maybe hard though, only thing you really need to keep an eye on is weapon quality (fine superb etc) and maybe what enchantments you got. otherwise it's more about choosing powers correctly for the fight you're on nd resource management

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
word. I made my character a super straightforward warrior so I can just let the supporting characters play their roles right

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

only time i hhad to minmax on my normal mode run was for the boss at the bottom of the big dungeon under yuour stronghold, everything else just changing tactics and trying different moves worked fine

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figured you could play much of the game not worrying about it. But if you want you can work it so you can solo the game as a Druid

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does this game have party members you can recruit a la BG or do you create your whole party ala Icewind Dale

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Does this game have party members you can recruit a la BG or do you create your whole party ala Icewind Dale

bboth. there's written companions but you can build your own guys at any inn if you want. also they added respecs so i if you want you can rebuild the premade guys

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both. You can hire from inns and there are story line significant party members

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did they make a big update patch or just a bunch of small patches?

I really enjoyed this game, but I didn't play it for like 3 months and when I came back it was super hard because I got bad at it. Looking forward to restarting.

Also lmao that the best warriors where the little dudes.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to beat icewind Dale

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed this game a lot and spent a whole sunny Sunday playing it and then lost an hour of gametime due to poor saving practices and never touched it again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I enjoyed this game a lot and spent a whole sunny Sunday playing it and then lost an hour of gametime due to poor saving practices and never touched it again.

*nods sagely*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think in a year or something during a dry spell I'll pick up the expansion and try it again, but that wound is still too fresh in my mind. My main dude was a monk and it was very fun, people rarely make such cut and dry CRPG's these days, neat to see.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

bboth. there's written companions but you can build your own guys at any inn if you want. also they added respecs so i if you want you can rebuild the premade guys

frank.club posted:

Both. You can hire from inns and there are story line significant party members

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got wiped on this section in the first dlc where like a squad of enemies kept aggroing on me and haven't played since lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I need a new computer to play games on :(

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I think in a year or something during a dry spell I'll pick up the expansion and try it again, but that wound is still too fresh in my mind. My main dude was a monk and it was very fun, people rarely make such cut and dry CRPG's these days, neat to see.

its weird how they jjust disappeared too, one of the obsidian guys mentioned during the kickstarter that there wasnt like a big notable failure of a crpg, people just stopped making them and then no one started again because market wisdom was that crpgs didn't sell

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah after I played one I bought four more
Shadow run DF and HK are also crazy good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if it was the failure of anyone to produce a true sequel to Fallout 2 and then enough time passed that people stopped making them? The last big game in this style was what, the KOTOR games? But they had Star Wars attached to it so they would sell regardless of gameplay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess Neverwinter Nights 2 came out as well. That game was a lot of fun but it could never reliably run on my PC and I would get constant crashes. Really killed my enjoyment of it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I guess Neverwinter Nights 2 came out as well. That game was a lot of fun but it could never reliably run on my PC and I would get constant crashes. Really killed my enjoyment of it

I've heard that one wasn't too good but I weigh that against the fact that it's judged against Baulders or Icewind or something. But I'm only going to tackle one infinity engine game at a time and I want to play Baulders gate 2 next

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tthink it was a bunch of stuff, that's also when the playstations ads were pushing games tto the mainstream and there's not much less mainstream than a crpg. black isle faling apart around then probably didn't help either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tbh I haven't played too many of these games, so I don't have that much exposure. I just have liked pretty much all of the ones I've played. Also never finished a single one lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just love to adventure!!!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

frank.club posted:

epic this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

frank.club posted:

I've heard that one wasn't too good but I weigh that against the fact that it's judged against Baulders or Icewind or something. But I'm only going to tackle one infinity engine game at a time and I want to play Baulders gate 2 next

I didn't play it but from what I heard the base game wasn't great but the expansions were really good

frank.club posted:

:agreed:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Was Divinity Original Sin good? I've had it on my Steam wishlist for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

baldurs gate 2 is like top five games of all ttime for me, it's so loving good

• Locked thread