Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
There's a new priest spell in TWM where you can shoot a beam between the priest and another target, and it heals allies and burns enemies, so I just gave Zahua speed boots and had Durance fire that spell at him, and then had Zahua run all over the loving map and either heal my guys or burn the hell out of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

At first it gave me some good adventure feels, and it let me make a whole party with silly portraits and build a stronghold and wander the land looking for cool stuff, so I was happy as hell.

It got kind of samey I guess. I felt like I was doing the exact same stuff 40 hours in that I was at the start, seemed like the design’s focus on balance meant that a lot of the fun stupid stuff you could do in other games like this isn’t really there. The engagement system is a good idea but in practice I feel like it makes every fight go the same way. And I guess I was kind of hoping for more interesting quests/choices but I’m not sure why, I guess it’s what Obsidian usually shines at.

I never liked BG/real time with pause RPGs much anyway so I dunno why I was expecting more from this lol. I guess it’s a good game really, I still finished it because of my brain problems. I definitely liked Original Sin a lot more but it’s good that they both exist.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 23, 2016

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In this gamer's opinion, there shouldn't have been Per Encounter abilities at all. Also, the stamina versus health thing is kinda retarded because then you have to deal with two different health bars, two different kind of healing spells, etc. I think the limited rest idea combined with making skills more powerful like they are in D&D to compensate for less abilities to use would have been better.

I said it when it came out I think, but this game pisses me off because it's really close to being an old school RPG, but the tiny changes they made for the sake of Perfect Singleplayer Balance make everything feel samey and whitewashed, instead of fun and diverse. It also makes the challenge of the game reliant on stupid poo poo like difficulty sliders and enforced iron man mode, instead of the actual strategy in combat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

In this gamer's opinion, there shouldn't have been Per Encounter abilities at all. Also, the stamina versus health thing is kinda retarded because then you have to deal with two different health bars, two different kind of healing spells, etc. I think the limited rest idea combined with making skills more powerful like they are in D&D to compensate for less abilities to use would have been better.

I said it when it came out I think, but this game pisses me off because it's really close to being an old school RPG, but the tiny changes they made for the sake of Perfect Singleplayer Balance make everything feel samey and whitewashed, instead of fun and diverse. It also makes the challenge of the game reliant on stupid poo poo like difficulty sliders and enforced iron man mode, instead of the actual strategy in combat.
Yeah I forgot about a lot of that stuff but I think it all contributed to making the combat as a whole feel kind of plodding. The carefully-Balanced design feels really MMO-like at times, which is ok but it means you’re never going to get any cool poo poo that doesn’t fit into Tank-DPS-Healer. like, I dunno, BG2’s Wild Mage that can cast a gamble spell that could either turn the biggest enemy into a squirrel or make all your party members fall asleep, or Original Sin’s great systems fuckery where you can teleport enemies directly into lava pools or sneak up behind a boss, stack loads of explosive barrels behind him and then blow them all up and kill him instantly. I just feel like there’s nothing very memorable about a lot of the abilities, even though classes like the Chanter and, uh, psychic guy sound awesome on paper, because they felt the need to make sure that you won’t ever have an unfair advantage that hurts the competitive feelings of the imaginary videogame monsters. even a lot of the cool spells and stuff that were particularly powerful or did something interesting were one by one nerfed by patches, which is lame.

It does what it sets out to do, I guess, and wishing it had done something else entirely probably makes me insane. I just wanted to like it more than I did

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets be honest though. People who think singleplayer games need to have every play style/class/weapon/whatever be exactly equal strength need to be killed with a brick. People who can't stop themselves from always doing the most optimal strategy aren't even people, let alone gamers, and their opinions dont matter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Lets be honest though. People who think singleplayer games need to have every play style/class/weapon/whatever be exactly equal strength need to be killed with a brick. People who can't stop themselves from always doing the most optimal strategy aren't even people, let alone gamers, and their opinions dont matter

Settle down Larry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's Larry time.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Hey folks, just popping into the imp zone to say that Pillars of Eternity is good but i'm not playing through it again to play the dlc.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Per Encounters are fine for non-casters. Gives them something active to do instead of just spamming Power Attack like they did in old D&D.

And really, I'll take this kind of balance over that wanky old D&D poo poo where if you're a non-caster, you're loving worthless, and if you're a wizard, druid, or cleric, you're a god.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Per Encounters are fine for non-casters. Gives them something active to do instead of just spamming Power Attack like they did in old D&D.

And really, I'll take this kind of balance over that wanky old D&D poo poo where if you're a non-caster, you're loving worthless, and if you're a wizard, druid, or cleric, you're a god.
Dnd 3 is good imo when they bother to put in all the interesting stuff fighter types can actually do (so no games apart from ToEE and Knights of the Chalice which is insanely good by the way)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

don't loving turn this into a d&d argument or i'm torpedoing the thread

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

don't loving turn this into a d&d argument or i'm torpedoing the thread

I respect your wishes and will not do so.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
epic level thiefs in bg2 were awesome as well, with the "use any item" ability letting you backstab with the staff of ruin for 200 damage iirc. a solo kensai/thief dual class run is challenging and fun especially if you play through bg1 first.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

id on't think they came at the game to make everyc lass exactly as good, it hink they came at it from making ever yclass at least a baseline level of good. before the kicksterter rope kid did a lot oft alking about how lovely it is t o get like ten hours into a crpg and find out the class you chose is trash and imo making that not happen's a good design choice. there's still definite best classes in the game but there's no class that's complete garbage

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

id on't think they came at the game to make everyc lass exactly as good, it hink they came at it from making ever yclass at least a baseline level of good. before the kicksterter rope kid did a lot oft alking about how lovely it is t o get like ten hours into a crpg and find out the class you chose is trash and imo making that not happen's a good design choice. there's still definite best classes in the game but there's no class that's complete garbage
I can respect that but he also talked about wanting to avoid "trap builds" (the same thing but raising your character the wrong way for their class) and the game is full of those lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah that kkind of sucks but at least with respecs you can fix your char if you build them wrong. kind of a lovely bandaid fix tho

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
whats the imba kensai/mage bs of tihs game?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what kind of retard uses the word imba, jfc

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mufasa from the Lion King uses it often in conjuction with the letter "S" to form his son's name, "Simba", as do others in the Lion King movies.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

true. i was unkind to dangerdoom volvo

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Would anyone be interested in a 4 played modded divinity game? I'm having trouble picking up my old file a couple hours into the game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fungah! posted:

true. i was unkind to dangerdoom volvo

i wont stop saying imba here or irl just fyi

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

At first it gave me some good adventure feels, and it let me make a whole party with silly portraits and build a stronghold and wander the land looking for cool stuff, so I was happy as hell.

It got kind of samey I guess. I felt like I was doing the exact same stuff 40 hours in that I was at the start, seemed like the design’s focus on balance meant that a lot of the fun stupid stuff you could do in other games like this isn’t really there. The engagement system is a good idea but in practice I feel like it makes every fight go the same way. And I guess I was kind of hoping for more interesting quests/choices but I’m not sure why, I guess it’s what Obsidian usually shines at.

I never liked BG/real time with pause RPGs much anyway so I dunno why I was expecting more from this lol. I guess it’s a good game really, I still finished it because of my brain problems. I definitely liked Original Sin a lot more but it’s good that they both exist.

That's pretty fair.

Fights stopped feeling like puzzles, and started just feeling like intense, micromanaging chores by 20 hours in. I think if it was balanced around slightly smaller party sizes I'd like it a bit more.

But I'm also a huge goober who basically ignored most of the story which is kind of dumb for somebody to do in an rpg.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

even though classes like the Chanter and, uh, psychic guy sound awesome on paper, because they felt the need to make sure that you won’t ever have an unfair advantage that hurts the competitive feelings of the imaginary videogame monsters

just wanna mention the Cipher area mind control spell that won almost every difficult fight for me after I picked up the Grieving Mother

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think they could have done more with the guns, as is they are just another entry in the attcks options for "ranged, deals damage, has ROF" to optimize from. It shouldn't feel like nerfing yourself when you give every party member a friggen shotgun!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's pretty fair.

Fights stopped feeling like puzzles, and started just feeling like intense, micromanaging chores by 20 hours in.

Same but not because everything's too balanced. loving lol

Dec 26, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

Same but not because everything's too balanced. loving lol

seriously lol.

i didn't care about infinity engine fighters and all having few options in combat, here i always forget to use them all because there are 6 people

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Balance is fine but when it’s the overriding design goal of your new RPG system your new RPG system is going to end up like lukewarm soup. I have strong feelings about RPGs. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I;m a sick man.

Dec 26, 2012

balance is fine but pillars isn't balanced

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Balance is fine but when it’s the overriding design goal of your new RPG system your new RPG system is going to end up like lukewarm soup. I have strong feelings about RPGs. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I;m a sick man.

No man 'too much balance' isn't the problem with pillars combat. Pillars combat is soupy because your decisions don't matter, not because they're too balanced or whatever

All soft counters mean that actions don't relate strongly to situations
All randomisation means that every action you take might just not happen anyway, better hope it averages out okay
Item and level progression means that the action you take matters less than how much you've already played
Day-based adventuring means that the combat you're taking actions in isn't a win/lose struggle for survival as much as it is draining a certain amount of your per-rest resources so that the dungeon kinda feels a bit tense (before you just sleep for 8 hours outside the dragon's lair anyway)

what's weird is a bunch of this stuff is working cross-purposes to each other anyway. like there are still hard counters, it's just the hard counter is "be level 8 in a level 5 dungeon" or whatever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh okay yeah I totally agree. I think part of the problem is going in with the mindset of “balance above everything” instead of "maybe our combat and character building should present interesting tactical challenges and choices", avoiding hard counters and striving for every class combination having an equal and viable experience and implementing it in a really hamfisted way which didn’t work at all except to remove a lot of tactical possibilities. That Sensuki guy went full prodromal in his thousands of hours of analysing it but he’s mostly right (I say mostly because I’m not reading the entire text of War and Peace except with the engagement system as Napoleon and hard counters as class anxiety)

Like, Sid Meier says videogames should at heart be a series of interesting decisions. I don’t think IE games are very good at that either but with PoE it feels like I’m not making any decisions at all ever I’m just painting some klurfs one of three colours and sending them out to squish each others’ noses and giggle in the shmorky voice

I really like Obsidian but gameplay has never been their strong suit and when they said they were trying to make the best RPG system ever from scratch I knew it was going to go badly but poo poo it ended up even more schizophrenic than expected

Ok im going to stop having severe mental problems in the chill forum now.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I'd say balance is just how well you integrate individual actions into the larger action economy tho??

rock paper scissors is a bad game but it wouldn't be improved by making rock beat paper and scissors. go is a good game but also would not be improved by making some stones "wizard stones" w/ commensurate greater power

but yeah I'm being pedantic in the chill forum, we basically agree I think

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Lt. Danger posted:

I'd say balance is just how well you integrate individual actions into the larger action economy tho??

rock paper scissors is a bad game but it wouldn't be improved by making rock beat paper and scissors. go is a good game but also would not be improved by making some stones "wizard stones" w/ commensurate greater power

but yeah I'm being pedantic in the chill forum, we basically agree I think

yuo should play archon lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rock Paper scissors is a great game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd say the improvements the expansions made turned Pillars into a pretty good game. For starters, rope kid realized that hard counters aren't bad but are actually good and now things have actual immunities to poo poo and your priest can shut down enemy tactics pretty hard with one spell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Rock Paper scissors is a great game.

This

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
What class would you suggest starting out for a new playthrough of PoE?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Too tsundere to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Fungah! posted:

Too tsundere to drive.

Should probably get a new AV now that gunshow is dead.

• Locked thread