Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

started pplaying it again now that the last expansion's out and it's still fuc king great. good writing, good gameplay, and most of the sstuff that didn't work at launch's been fixed. the stronghold's way cooler now, classes that kind of sucked feel a lot better and have more interesting talents and what i've seen of the expansion is ggreat. very good game, one of the best of last year, if you haven't played it you should and if you have maybe consider going back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

going through as a shark monk now, it sucks that there's only three portraits for them so i had to use this guy again:

monk's great, i do a shitload of damage and it's not as micro-heavy as i'd heard,.it's got a lot of strong passives and the buttons you get when you have wounds are sick as hell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I bought it on Steam sale this week, I'm building a new PC so I'm excited to play it and hopefully recapture some of those Baldur's Gate feels

the feels are strong in this one, they did a good job of getting the style down. they put a lot of care into it too, i'm doing a commentary run and it's cool how many little things they tucked into every zone, i missed a byunch of it on my first run

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

grats on the new pc btw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ddpends how crummy, it's definitely more intensive than like bg2. i think there's something in the expansion patch that's making my gpu do some work too, keep hearing the fan kick on

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah i got that too. most numbers pretty much don't matter on any difficulty but the highest and maybe hard though, only thing you really need to keep an eye on is weapon quality (fine superb etc) and maybe what enchantments you got. otherwise it's more about choosing powers correctly for the fight you're on nd resource management

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

only time i hhad to minmax on my normal mode run was for the boss at the bottom of the big dungeon under yuour stronghold, everything else just changing tactics and trying different moves worked fine

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Does this game have party members you can recruit a la BG or do you create your whole party ala Icewind Dale

bboth. there's written companions but you can build your own guys at any inn if you want. also they added respecs so i if you want you can rebuild the premade guys

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I enjoyed this game a lot and spent a whole sunny Sunday playing it and then lost an hour of gametime due to poor saving practices and never touched it again.

*nods sagely*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I think in a year or something during a dry spell I'll pick up the expansion and try it again, but that wound is still too fresh in my mind. My main dude was a monk and it was very fun, people rarely make such cut and dry CRPG's these days, neat to see.

its weird how they jjust disappeared too, one of the obsidian guys mentioned during the kickstarter that there wasnt like a big notable failure of a crpg, people just stopped making them and then no one started again because market wisdom was that crpgs didn't sell

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tthink it was a bunch of stuff, that's also when the playstations ads were pushing games tto the mainstream and there's not much less mainstream than a crpg. black isle faling apart around then probably didn't help either

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

frank.club posted:

I just love to adventure!!!

epic this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

baldurs gate 2 is like top five games of all ttime for me, it's so loving good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Was Divinity Original Sin good? I've had it on my Steam wishlist for a while

my two best bros love it and it looked cool. havn't played it myself though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

thinking about it, think my top 5's like ff6, bg2, dead heat between mgs3 and 5, bloodborne and uhhh lets say either star ocean 2 or valkyrie profile. games loving rule

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I like that they made good magical items in the expansions because the ones in the base game were really boring.

yyeah that bugged me a lot in the base game. soulbound items seem real cool too, so that owns. one of the soulbound weapons from part 2 levels up by killing ks backer characters lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

idk yoshis island mite get beat by lufia 2. unless there's something im forgetting. super metroid maybe.. gah i can't choose

gently caress i forgot about super metroid. yeah that's my number five. lufia 2's so fuckin tight, the ancient cave was epic as poo poo. i've ne ver seen an rpg that does puzzles so well too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Agag posted:

Where is this game difficulty wise compared to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale? I beat Icewind Dale back in the day, I can't remember if I finished Baldur's Gate. I've been thinking about getting it for a while.

depnds on difficulty level but about bg1 or so i think. hard and path of the damned are fuckin can be fuckin rough though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

lufia 2 is my favorite jrpg ever made because of the puzzles. and also the ancient cave plus all the other epic poo poo about it that pwns eg the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnYGYa6l3M fuckin epic

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ggotta say, big downside to going monk is that al ot of loot's basically worthless unless it's good for one of my companions. little bit of a bummer there

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

the psychic lasher class, whatever it was called, was also extremely able to solo.

i think they might have nerfed it at some point but whatever. still fun and cool

yyeah they nerfed it in the expansion patch. still very strong, just not the categorical best class anymore. think i remember hearing that the go-to solo class is druid, not sure

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

This is one of the games Im most depressed about not finishing OP since I got so into the role playing aspect of it and pretending like I was Bane from The Dark Knight Rises in a fantasy setting. Sigh.

no time like the present. why do we fall?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

The blue dragon at the bottom of the backer dungeon thing kicked the poo poo out of me so many times that I eventually just gave up and made a deal with it. Good times

your a bitch and the dragon played you like one lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hheard from a bud that both parts of the expansion have a dragon that's harder than the adrea dragon and doesn't have a copout option. i'm fuckin pumped

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

put kana as a close fourth and yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Worst part about this game is it isn't bg2

yeah good thing all the good games were made twenty years ago so we don't need to play anything else. gently caress off

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm old as poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

me irl

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tfw jojo's comes back two weeks after dark souls, april's gonna be the poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

don't loving turn this into a d&d argument or i'm torpedoing the thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

id on't think they came at the game to make everyc lass exactly as good, it hink they came at it from making ever yclass at least a baseline level of good. before the kicksterter rope kid did a lot oft alking about how lovely it is t o get like ten hours into a crpg and find out the class you chose is trash and imo making that not happen's a good design choice. there's still definite best classes in the game but there's no class that's complete garbage

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah that kkind of sucks but at least with respecs you can fix your char if you build them wrong. kind of a lovely bandaid fix tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what kind of retard uses the word imba, jfc

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

true. i was unkind to dangerdoom volvo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011