Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty telling that any thread that deals with low economic opportunity is automatically a "millennial thread".

yeah not like the thread is about an LA princess in her early twenties who like, hits every box on the bingo card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

runupon cracker posted:

it's almost like the workforce participation rate isn't the lowest it's been in 35 years and companies aren't scrambling to automate literally everything as quickly as possible

That's true but jumping from that to 90% of jobs are gone within 4 years and "sales bots" is incomprehensible

fuckin sales bots lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Enderzero posted:

fuckin sales bots lol

they could always go the way of the japanese crane game supermarket

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aasimov is spinning in his grave at the idea of giving AI the capability to do the things salesmen do

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Supermarket vending machines should be limited to gum, instant lotto tickets, and those little plastic football helmets.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

Aasimov is spinning in his grave at the idea of giving computers the capability to do the things salesmen do

INITIATING SMILE FUNCTION!

HOW ARE YOU SIR?! GOOD DAY. THIS WEATHER, EH?

INITIATING HANDSHAKE MODE
whrrrrrrrr-click

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

and those little plastic football helmets.

Do they still have those! Those were loving gold dust when I was kid in Ireland here. All the kids went apeshit wanting them all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Do they still have those! Those were loving gold dust when I was kid in Ireland here. All the kids went apeshit wanting them all.

Kinda takes the fun out of it, but:

http://www.amazon.com/Collectible-M...ootball+helmets

Also they're not quite the same as the old ones with the detachable face mask that sometimes fit and sometimes didn't.

edit:
These bad boys!

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 25, 2016

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm normally for the little guy, and there are plenty of valid points to be made about the disillusionment of millenials, but posting an open letter bashing the CEO of the company you work for is clearly dumb and bad. What's worse is that it's obviously an attention tactic designed to spark twitter outrage and garner sympathy, and sure enough there's a loving gofundme.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

INITIATING SMILE FUNCTION!

HOW ARE YOU SIR?! GOOD DAY. THIS WEATHER, EH?

INITIATING HANDSHAKE MODE
whrrrrrrrr-click

Imagine a world full of robots lying, cheating, and trying to gently caress each other both literally and figuratively

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

Imagine a world full of robots lying, cheating, and trying to gently caress each other both literally and figuratively

This is basically the movie Her

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress anyone born into the greatest country in the world that can't make a million dollars by the time they are fifteen. They don't even deserve to lick the sweat from my Gucci loafers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Neutrino posted:

gently caress anyone born into the greatest country in the world that can't make a million dollars by the time they are fifteen. They don't even deserve to lick the sweat from my Gucci loafers.

:smug: lol if you don't have Enrique to handle your gucchi licking tasks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Panfilo posted:

:smug: lol if you don't have Enrique to handle your gucchi licking tasks.

I have a Thomas to handle it for me. Was thinking about getting another Thomas to drive me around as well. My goal is to be the leading employer of Thomas' by 2022.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

It's not like there are infinite jobs in the trades either, there are construction booms and busts just like in any field

In this thread I think "trades" is sort of shorthand for the jobs that don't require a degree, but do require some skills and training. The stuff that requires 1 or 2 years a trade school or career college.

For example the medical industry is booming. Baby booming. And a lot of those jobs aren't in danger of becoming automated any time soon. In a couple years you can be a licensed practical nurse, a pharmacy assistant, dental assistant, medical imaging technician (x-rays and CAT scans, etc), laboratory technician, physical therapist assistant, respiratory therapist, phlebotomist, optician, etc. You won't get the cool initials after your name like your boss who spent 7-10 years training for his job, but it is steady indoor work for decent pay, and you won't be starting trapped under a mountain of debt.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just marry a rich person how is this hard?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

just marry a rich person how is this hard?

Ha! Have you ever tried finding a rich woman?!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha! Have you ever tried finding a rich woman?!

the trick is to lock things down when you're 19 and not when you're 29.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Enderzero posted:

That's true but jumping from that to 90% of jobs are gone within 4 years and "sales bots" is incomprehensible

fuckin sales bots lol

Obviously the sales bots will be interacting with corporate buyer bots, idiot

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Angela Christine posted:

Right, and that's the trap. A lot of students study things that are interesting, rather than things that are useful. Stuff that helps you make witty conversation, not stuff that helps you get a good job. Which is fine if your family is independently wealthy and you are just going to school to pick up class markers and make connections. It's not such a great idea for the lower middle class who have no college fund and are going tens of thousands into debt because psychology or english lit is super interesting.

A STEM degree isn’t necessarily some magic ticket to a six-figure job, though. What’s a Bachelor’s in Math going to get you—a cushy job at the local cosine factory? A lot of people in those fields end up going to grad school for a more practical Master’s in teaching or library science, anyway—nobody’s really chomping at the bit to get a physics major in the office. The point of college isn’t just to acquire knowledge in a specific field; in theory, people are supposed to be acquiring skills like critical reading, time management, how to formulate/express/defend ideas coherently, do research with a discerning eye, and so on. Every degree is worthless, if you don’t know how to hustle.

You also have to consider that, 1) not everyone is cut out for STEM or business or other "useful" degrees, and 2) funneling people into those "useful" degree programs is going to create a glut of job candidates looking for work in the same fields. What's the point of being a struggling student with mediocre grades and no interest in the career I'm training for? Especially if you have to distinguish yourself from the graduates with the genuine passion, talent, and desire to excel in Finance or Chemistry or whatever? Especially if there's a surplus of job candidates--which is something that's happened with "useful" careers like nurses, teachers, and even librarians. You may as well play to your strengths and actually make the most of both college and yourself. A degree in English isn't exceptional, but a degree in English with a 3.8 GPA and membership in the Golden Key Society stands out far more than a 2.1 GPA in Accounting and the dread of being stuck in that job forever.

This girl’s problem isn’t that she got a BA in English. Yelp girl’s problem is that she expected to land a good job right out of college, with no work experience, at the age of 25. My sister has a BA in English, and has an awesome job: she’s a technical/promotional writer and personal assistant for the CEO of a local company. (Perks include accompanying her boss on business trips and getting a personal spending account to blow on whatever her little heart desires. Girl got trashed in the sauna of a four-star hotel in Beijing on the company’s dime.) My sister was lucky to have a connection that got her in the door for that job—but she also made her own luck by working hard (like creating content more substantial than a cutesy Twitter account), being smart, accumulating experience, and promoting herself in a thoughtful and appealing manner.

Shoot, right now I’m fielding job prospects from the state for $39K entry-level positions; meanwhile, the supervisor at my county job is trying to cut my probationary period short and secure my position as Permanent. Once I hit the one-year mark, I’m eligible for transfers, promotions, and a free college education up to a Master’s. My degree is a “worthless” BA in History, something I studied because I’m interested in it. I wasn’t hired because they need someone with in-depth knowledge of Galileo’s persecution by the Catholic Church.

Angela Christine posted:

As a dumb first year student I remember thinking that since I struggled with high school math (got Cs) that I'd probably be bad at calculus and college level science, so I shouldn't do that. I was really good at sociology, cultural anthropology, and psychology and those subjects are interesting to me, but they don't lead to any particular careers. I cleverly decided that if I didn't go to college at all I would be poor, while if I went and took something not-career related I still might not get a very good job and be beggared by debt, but at least I'd bee well educated. Being poor and educated is better than being poor and ignorant, right? :downs:

The thing is, having a college education isn't a guarantee that you'll have a lucrative career, but not having a college education is an obstacle to getting a lucrative career. You can work around it--lots of people do very well without a degree--but it's still an impediment. Having a degree has never stopped anyone from establishing a career.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Bobbie Wickham posted:

A STEM degree isn’t necessarily some magic ticket to a six-figure job, though. What’s a Bachelor’s in Math going to get you—a cushy job at the local cosine factory? A lot of people in those fields end up going to grad school for a more practical Master’s in teaching or library science, anyway—nobody’s really chomping at the bit to get a physics major in the office. The point of college isn’t just to acquire knowledge in a specific field; in theory, people are supposed to be acquiring skills like critical reading, time management, how to formulate/express/defend ideas coherently, do research with a discerning eye, and so on. Every degree is worthless, if you don’t know how to hustle.

You also have to consider that, 1) not everyone is cut out for STEM or business or other "useful" degrees, and 2) funneling people into those "useful" degree programs is going to create a glut of job candidates looking for work in the same fields. What's the point of being a struggling student with mediocre grades and no interest in the career I'm training for? Especially if you have to distinguish yourself from the graduates with the genuine passion, talent, and desire to excel in Finance or Chemistry or whatever? Especially if there's a surplus of job candidates--which is something that's happened with "useful" careers like nurses, teachers, and even librarians. You may as well play to your strengths and actually make the most of both college and yourself. A degree in English isn't exceptional, but a degree in English with a 3.8 GPA and membership in the Golden Key Society stands out far more than a 2.1 GPA in Accounting and the dread of being stuck in that job forever.

This girl’s problem isn’t that she got a BA in English. Yelp girl’s problem is that she expected to land a good job right out of college, with no work experience, at the age of 25. My sister has a BA in English, and has an awesome job: she’s a technical/promotional writer and personal assistant for the CEO of a local company. (Perks include accompanying her boss on business trips and getting a personal spending account to blow on whatever her little heart desires. Girl got trashed in the sauna of a four-star hotel in Beijing on the company’s dime.) My sister was lucky to have a connection that got her in the door for that job—but she also made her own luck by working hard (like creating content more substantial than a cutesy Twitter account), being smart, accumulating experience, and promoting herself in a thoughtful and appealing manner.

Shoot, right now I’m fielding job prospects from the state for $39K entry-level positions; meanwhile, the supervisor at my county job is trying to cut my probationary period short and secure my position as Permanent. Once I hit the one-year mark, I’m eligible for transfers, promotions, and a free college education up to a Master’s. My degree is a “worthless” BA in History, something I studied because I’m interested in it. I wasn’t hired because they need someone with in-depth knowledge of Galileo’s persecution by the Catholic Church.

The thing is, having a college education isn't a guarantee that you'll have a lucrative career, but not having a college education is an obstacle to getting a lucrative career. You can work around it--lots of people do very well without a degree--but it's still an impediment. Having a degree has never stopped anyone from establishing a career.

Didn't read lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Cholula posted:

Didn't read lol

You should take the time to read it, he actually gave really good advice, a rarity for GBS!

I just landed a new job this week at a tech company, I have no STEM degree to speak of. :eyepop:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I said come in! posted:

You should take the time to read it, he actually gave really good advice, a rarity for GBS!

I just landed a new job this week at a tech company, I have no STEM degree to speak of. :eyepop:

Your degree means less than nothing once you get past the initial influx of everyone rushing headlong into the job market after graduating. After people fall off and become failures, you remain like Conan pushing that wheel thing around in the desert.

I have a degree in journalism and I work for the largest aerospace company in the world. People think I'm really smart.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Actually, while the computer science part of my degree has certainly gotten me most of my work, every time I apply for a job they always comment on and sound impressed about the physics double major I had with it. I'm pretty sure it's a big part of the reason I've gotten job offers. Also lots of math majors I knew were doing it to make bank as insurance actuaries. I think liberal arts majors are neat and I like things like literature and history, but I don't think there's an actuary equivalent for art history, and I don't think anyone gets impressed by English majors unless maybe you're applying for jobs in China

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
More anectdata: I am old and female and my career is in a "relationship-y" field. But my undergraduate math degree does get noticed. It's from a (real) liberal arts school though so I consider myself a liberal arts person.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh also be "good with computers" and work with old people. helps a ton.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This. I see almost every job now have the requirement that you be computer literate, which means having a good understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, and know the in's and outs of Windows and sometimes Mac. If my dad was entering the workforce right out of college today, he would be totally screwed. He is just old enough that computers are still confusing to him, same for my mom.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

A STEM degree isn’t necessarily some magic ticket to a six-figure job, though. What’s a Bachelor’s in Math going to get you—a cushy job at the local cosine factory?

Picking on a BS in Math is easy. It's the autism child of STEM. The other degrees have learned to use Math with other skills instead of flipping out and counting toothpicks when someone spills them.

What is the reality is that there's more STEM based jobs than the other. They don't all pay great but you have a better chance of getting a job that isn't minimum wage coffee maker.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

If there was a job that paid 200k a year to lick dog assholes 40 hrs/week I wouldn't be jealous or want that job either.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This is pretty much how i got into freelancing as a cad monkey/it dude.

Then i moved on to project management at a construction subcontractor.

This is with a history degree lol.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
100% agreement with the poster who said that the math undergraduate degree is the autistic stepchild of STEM.

Talia Jane is really laying it on thick about how much media coverage she got this past week. This is totally a long con for publicity and free moneys. I sort of have to hand it to her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Uncle Salty posted:

100% agreement with the poster who said that the math undergraduate degree is the autistic stepchild of STEM.

Talia Jane is really laying it on thick about how much media coverage she got this past week. This is totally a long con for publicity and free moneys. I sort of have to hand it to her.

I wondered if this was her angle all along. I'm sure she's getting job offers or at least freelance gigs. Her story has spawned criticisms and counter-criticisms in the blogosphere.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
God this guy is a giant pussy

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I just really really love how like none of these concerned twitterblog people gave a poo poo, until it was a crybaby white woman who made bad choices who wrote about how hard SHE has it. Then all of a sudden it's 'It doesn't matter who it is, this issue needs to have a voice!'

Why are you always choosing the worst voices for these things?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

In this thread I think "trades" is sort of shorthand for the jobs that don't require a degree, but do require some skills and training. The stuff that requires 1 or 2 years a trade school or career college.

For example the medical industry is booming. Baby booming. And a lot of those jobs aren't in danger of becoming automated any time soon. In a couple years you can be a licensed practical nurse, a pharmacy assistant, dental assistant, medical imaging technician (x-rays and CAT scans, etc), laboratory technician, physical therapist assistant, respiratory therapist, phlebotomist, optician, etc. You won't get the cool initials after your name like your boss who spent 7-10 years training for his job, but it is steady indoor work for decent pay, and you won't be starting trapped under a mountain of debt.

Welcome to your 18 dollar an hour life with no promotional opportunity.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Aralan posted:

Actually, while the computer science part of my degree has certainly gotten me most of my work, every time I apply for a job they always comment on and sound impressed about the physics double major I had with it. I'm pretty sure it's a big part of the reason I've gotten job offers. Also lots of math majors I knew were doing it to make bank as insurance actuaries.

The thing about math degrees is that there are alot of jobs like actuaries, that it is a strict necessity you have a very strong understanding of math to do the job. I.e you cant just make do with a top graduate in management from Harvard, if when you give them their first assignment to model insurance risk on a portfolio it becomes clear that there is 4 years of missing math education before they have any hope of completing it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Applebee123 posted:

The thing about math degrees is that there are alot of jobs like actuaries, that it is a strict necessity you have a very strong understanding of math to do the job. I.e you cant just make do with a top graduate in management from Harvard, if when you give them their first assignment to model insurance risk on a portfolio it becomes clear that there is 4 years of missing math education before they have any hope of completing it.

I agree with the sentiment but actuary may not be the best example here.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So if internet proliferation, more education, and easier visas make it easier for India and China to take STEM jobs,

and NAFTA & TPP have outsourced manufacturing jobs,

and automation can replace service jobs,

What's left? I'm trying really hard to not fall into doom and gloom. I know the world has been globalizing forever, - jobs have gone to the next village over or the next continent - but I genuinely don't know what is going to happen. Should I emigrate to a BRIC and use my Canadian education as leverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Applebee123 posted:

sttistics yeah, not math

• Locked thread