Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Big City Drinkin posted:

0 milliseconds?

C)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Whatev posted:

people who only have a high school diploma are pretty unbelievably hosed in the U.S. and it's silly to point to a small handful of high paying union jobs that are not remotely accessible to most people as any sort of challenge to that

Most of those Union jobs are being vacated by baby boomers trying not to get hosed out of their pensions or Boomers that, fattened by their decadent union lifestyle, ended up dying of heart attacks. But like garbage men, many of these jobs are not glamorous, don't have a juice bar or sleeping pods as part of the benefits package, and might require you to stay there for 5-10 years before you can get an optimal shift/vacation schedule. But they are out there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

many of these jobs are not glamorous, don't have a juice bar or sleeping pods as part of the benefits package, and might require you to stay there for 5-10 years before you can get an optimal shift/vacation schedule. But they are out there.

This is some false flag poo poo right here. Few young people have jobs right now with any glamor anyway, don't receive any benefits much less a loving juice bar, or could even expect to keep their job for 5-10 years much less achieve an ideal schedule.

You are blaming workers for the lack of opportunity they face. Millennials or not people will jump at a good paying, steady job even if it ain't perfect. This is like one of those retarded boomer-pandering articles that say "millennials just don't want cars or houses!!!"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If I don't go to college how am I supposed to gently caress hot girls such as the cast of Pitch Perfect?

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I tell people I run across, when they complain they want a better job for whatever reason, to apply where I work at. All you need to be able to do is read and write and do some very easy math. Virtually none of them ever apply. Why do you think that is?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
you are actually cursed to encounter illiterates your entire life possibly gypsy or houdou in origin

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NObodiesGeek posted:

I tell people I run across, when they complain they want a better job for whatever reason, to apply where I work at. All you need to be able to do is read and write and do some very easy math. Virtually none of them ever apply. Why do you think that is?

you work in a poo-sculpting studio? :shrug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whatev posted:

people who only have a high school diploma are pretty unbelievably hosed in the U.S. and it's silly to point to a small handful of high paying union jobs that are not remotely accessible to most people as any sort of challenge to that

in the u.s. the really nice state government union jobs are determined by whether or not you're related to the current mayor, or his best friends

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NObodiesGeek posted:

you're an army recruiter?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Angela Christine posted:

Right, and that's the trap. A lot of students study things that are interesting, rather than things that are useful. Stuff that helps you make witty conversation, not stuff that helps you get a good job. Which is fine if your family is independently wealthy and you are just going to school to pick up class markers and make connections. It's not such a great idea for the lower middle class who have no college fund and are going tens of thousands into debt because psychology or english lit is super interesting.

As a dumb first year student I remember thinking that since I struggled with high school math (got Cs) that I'd probably be bad at calculus and college level science, so I shouldn't do that. I was really good at sociology, cultural anthropology, and psychology and those subjects are interesting to me, but they don't lead to any particular careers. I cleverly decided that if I didn't go to college at all I would be poor, while if I went and took something not-career related I still might not get a very good job and be beggared by debt, but at least I'd bee well educated. Being poor and educated is better than being poor and ignorant, right? :downs:

Yeah, you probably don't need anything you learned in college to do most every job but you need to have it to even get in a lot of them, though.

That bein' said, I enjoyed the life of being someone with a lot of time so I don't regret those years.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Chomp8645 posted:

This is some false flag poo poo right here. Few young people have jobs right now with any glamor anyway, don't receive any benefits much less a loving juice bar, or could even expect to keep their job for 5-10 years much less achieve an ideal schedule.

You are blaming workers for the lack of opportunity they face. Millennials or not people will jump at a good paying, steady job even if it ain't perfect. This is like one of those retarded boomer-pandering articles that say "millennials just don't want cars or houses!!!"

Had this been true, States like Arizona and Alabama wouldn't have had problems filling labor intensive jobs Mexican immigrants used to perform because all these opportunistic Millennials wouldve jumped at the chance to pick up all work that got vacated when the Mexicans there decided to move on. But as it turns out, they didn't.

I've seen it with my own eyes at my job. Most people getting hired are 10-15 years older than me. The employees with the biggest attendance problems tend to be younger. The people most likely to quit because they want to travel or work some other job are in their twenties. Who do you really think is going to value the job more, a Millennial who still lives with his parents and is still figuring all this stuff out, or a 50yo with a family to help support who aged out of his previous career?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
why do you think it's virtuous to be bound by ball and chain to a lovely job? why do you think that there should be an expectation to give a gently caress about being professional when menial min wage laborers are treated like garbage regardless of their performance?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
what about studies that have shown people in managerial positions -so long term employees- to be the source of problems vastly more often than the employees they are supervising?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shaquin posted:

what about studies that have shown people in managerial positions -so long term employees- to be the source of problems vastly more often than the employees they are supervising?

I'm actually giving a presentation to a bunch of my GPs in a couple weeks about our firm's management structure. You don't happen to have a link to this study do you?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hah, I have nothing but a HS Diploma and I make 80K a year. Why? I got lucky and knew people and had a natural talent for programming.

Why can't people just bootstrap their way to knowing people and being naturally talented?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shaquin posted:

you've really got a lot of pent up anger don't you

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Decrepus posted:

If I don't go to college how am I supposed to gently caress hot girls such as the cast of Pitch Perfect?

You might be able to get the fat one

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
English and other arts subjects don't have to be a useless degree. You can use them to get into postgrad programs, or graduate schemes where they don't care what major you've done. If you've had a part time job while you've studied and networked then there's no reason why an English grad can't get a decent enough job. It probably won't be a career making memes, sadly.

Also, everyone I've know who works in social media loving hates it because it's a glorified customer service job anyway.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

All I want from a job is that my employer strike me in the back of the head so hard that I pass out and wake up the next day ready for work after every shift so I don't ever have to experience what not working is

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

NObodiesGeek posted:

They don't like you

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panfilo posted:

I've seen it with my own eyes at my job. Most people getting hired are 10-15 years older than me. The employees with the biggest attendance problems tend to be younger. The people most likely to quit because they want to travel or work some other job are in their twenties. Who do you really think is going to value the job more, a Millennial who still lives with his parents and is still figuring all this stuff out, or a 50yo with a family to help support who aged out of his previous career?

I don't have any idea because you haven't said gently caress all about the job or why anybody would or would not want it. You're trying to make me argue with a void.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Forums poster discovers one weird job millennials don't want!

*zero details follow*

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
All this arguing about post-secondary education with respect to jobs is pretty funny to me, given that 90%+ of jobs are going to be fully automated before the end of this decade. Yeah, make sure you pick a course in a field you won't be working in because a computer/robot will be able to do it faster/better/cheaper before you even graduate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

All this arguing about post-secondary education with respect to jobs is pretty funny to me, given that 90%+ of jobs are going to be fully automated before the end of this decade. Yeah, make sure you pick a course in a field you won't be working in because a computer/robot will be able to do it faster/better/cheaper before you even graduate.

Everybody should just focus on drama classes and psychology courses in high school and apply all that to a high commission sales position. There will always be a need for salesmen. Sales is one of those industries where personality and look matter though, so it's real easy to crash and burn if you're not comfortable around strangers or don't like pressure.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everybody should just focus on drama classes and psychology courses in high school and apply all that to a high commission sales position. There will always be a need for salesmen. Sales is one of those industries where personality and look matter though, so it's real easy to crash and burn if you're not comfortable around strangers or don't like pressure.

You think? It seems to me brick-and-mortar stores are dying a horrible death as they become replaced by online sales. And with the support bots they have already, it would not surprise me if they have sales bots perfected in pretty short order.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

Forums poster discovers one weird job millennials don't want!

*zero details follow*

one that involves work is my guess

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, I said high commission sales. Brick and mortar stores are in the poo poo house, but there will always be real estate, financial services, insurance, large machine, software sales positions because those are the things that people will always need and are waaaaay less likely to just go online and buy whatever.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, I said high commission sales. Brick and mortar stores are in the poo poo house, but there will always be real estate, financial services, insurance, large machine, software sales positions because those are the things that people will always need and are waaaaay less likely to just go online and buy whatever.

No, there won't always be. As AI becomes more sophisticated, those positions will be automated. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when".

Will we still berate people for their higher education choices when there are literally no more jobs, or will we start thinking of higher education as being valuable in and of itself, like we used to?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
if its valuable, its fine for it to be expensive so what was the problem here again

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
millenials are such pieces of poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's pretty funny seeing all these sputtering angry posts and the true life anecdotal bootstrap stories of goons nobody gives a poo poo about, but there is already a millennial thread for that so :gas:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

runupon cracker posted:

You think? It seems to me brick-and-mortar stores are dying a horrible death as they become replaced by online sales. And with the support bots they have already, it would not surprise me if they have sales bots perfected in pretty short order.

That's not "sales"

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

They don't like you

Everyone likes me. :)

It's because they're lazy. I understand though. Why work when you can vote for someone to steal money for you?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NObodiesGeek posted:

Everyone likes me. :)

It's because they're lazy. I understand though. Why work when you can vote for someone to steal money for you?

howamericaendedupwithtrump.txt

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sorry, wanna try that again in complete thoughts?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

are you saying the guy who thinks 90% of jobs will be gone in 4 years might not have a grasp on the nature of employment? Huge if true

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

radiatinglines posted:

it's pretty funny seeing all these sputtering angry posts and the true life anecdotal bootstrap stories of goons nobody gives a poo poo about, but there is already a millennial thread for that so :gas:

I honestly thought I was still reading millenial.jpg

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty telling that any thread that deals with low economic opportunity is automatically a "millennial thread".

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

are you saying the guy who thinks 90% of jobs will be gone in 4 years might not have a grasp on the nature of employment? Huge if true

it's almost like the workforce participation rate isn't the lowest it's been in 35 years and companies aren't scrambling to automate literally everything as quickly as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

runupon cracker posted:

Brick-and-mortar, yes. I'm talking about door-to-door. Don't let them come to you. Bring the product to THEM.

• Locked thread