Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
if the office has foosball tables and video games and stocked kitchens it's probably a terrible place to work because they expect you to live there

at a boring office most people understand if you wanna clock out at 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
yeah honestly you're better off in the burbs on that income because you might be able to do something

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Angela Christine posted:

Right, and that's the trap. A lot of students study things that are interesting, rather than things that are useful. Stuff that helps you make witty conversation, not stuff that helps you get a good job. Which is fine if your family is independently wealthy and you are just going to school to pick up class markers and make connections. It's not such a great idea for the lower middle class who have no college fund and are going tens of thousands into debt because psychology or english lit is super interesting.

As a dumb first year student I remember thinking that since I struggled with high school math (got Cs) that I'd probably be bad at calculus and college level science, so I shouldn't do that. I was really good at sociology, cultural anthropology, and psychology and those subjects are interesting to me, but they don't lead to any particular careers. I cleverly decided that if I didn't go to college at all I would be poor, while if I went and took something not-career related I still might not get a very good job and be beggared by debt, but at least I'd bee well educated. Being poor and educated is better than being poor and ignorant, right? :downs:

Yeah, you probably don't need anything you learned in college to do most every job but you need to have it to even get in a lot of them, though.

That bein' said, I enjoyed the life of being someone with a lot of time so I don't regret those years.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

oh also be "good with computers" and work with old people. helps a ton.

This is pretty much how i got into freelancing as a cad monkey/it dude.

Then i moved on to project management at a construction subcontractor.

This is with a history degree lol.

• Locked thread