Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Get the gently caress out of California lady you aren't wrong but you aren't in the best state for under six figure living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
She has a strong case but fumbles out of the gates by refusing to be a teacher because it would be cliche

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Edgar posted:

Why would someone get a degree in english literature? Is it because its easy?

Guess what you big turbonerd college isn't supposed to be a credit check and a drat trade school it's a place of higher learning and people have been going to them for the arts for a real long drat time you brain dead capitalist cock fluffer

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Why would you want a degree in anything that wasn't mathematically or technology focused? How do you even intend to slot yourself in as a moderately valuable cog within an industry profiting many many so many times more than the amount of money they pay you that allows you to buy enough ipads and 4k tv's to keep yourself distracted that will eventually crash and burn as every bubble has if it can be done anywhere else in the world 20% cheaper and with 60-70% of the quality.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Also, did she really just randomly e-mail her company's CEO and make a shitload of random suggestions, including complaining about how stupid coconut water is? I mean yeah, coconut water is pretty dumb but if I'm a low-level employee for a large company I wouldn't be dumb enough to e-mail my CEO and go, "Hey dumbass this product we sell sucks, get rid of it."
You just admitted coconut water is objectively dumb then lambasted an employee for wanting to alert the person running the company that this was the case?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Just lol loving lol if you think most executives are at all more intelligent or skilled than the people underneath them and did not just slide right into that poo poo via nepotism

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Imagine a country where grifters and con men are actually the highest paid in the land with the lowest amount of working hours as long as your credentials include coming from existing wealth. Wouldn't that be the wackiest

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Every American citizen should have a safe, reasonable, and comfortable home subsidized by the government

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
The majority should not be living the hellish life of a pauper if we have the resources for a few to live better than actual Kings and Queens could have imagined

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
He definitely doesn't deserve his wealth

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Aralan posted:

I read that whole letter and I think this is my welcome to the Republican party moment. Also your rent being 30% of your net income isn't "ideal", it's supposed to be an upper limit if you aren't a dummy

That's cool with an average rent cost of roughly 1000 dollars in the U.S. that's actually effectively 100% of your budget at 40 hours a week on an 8 dollar minimum wage after taxes no matter where you are living.

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Please use this as an opportunity to tell me how three fully grown humans should cram into a studio apartment.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
There aren't a lot of jobs anywhere in the loving country!! Holy poo poo would it amaze you to learn that by sheer coincidence the cheaper places to live are where work is hardest to find!!!!?????? OMG you can rent a whole loving house in the middle of dipfuck county!!! Sure you'll pay the difference in misery and money commuting 120 miles a day to get to work but the system works see!!!!

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Indeed in the era of the collapsing middle class it's totally possible to still be middle class guys you just have to orchestrate every decision in your life inhumanly flawlessly from conception to collegiate graduation

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I'm glad there are legions of computer janitors ready to tell everyone things are fine when someone is having a hard time economically no matter the circumstances or case. And have an arsenal of semi reasonable sounding but no less gymnastic rebuttals when it's about everything being broken from the ground up and not hot tips on how to make it work.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I have really been trying to not get heated and slap fighty in GBS and I hosed that up here. I'm not saying she is deserving of sympathy for her string of ill thought maneuvers but rather that a 20-25 year old should be able to make mistakes and recover from them and the system they are participating in should have the flexibility to allow for that without undergoing a bleak and soul sucking gauntlet. I understand the economic realities of the situation in this country and how they should impact your planning and decisions, but am not apathetic enough to not speak out about how no one should be in this situation in the first place.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
25000 dollars is not a budget for living anywhere in the united states sorry the math does not check out any longer for anywhere. You better hope to god you don't have a single unexpected loving expense come up.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I guess if you are loving autistic it's pretty easy to quantify "living" as the act of not being dead and subsisting out of a ten pound bag of rice

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
ITT goons continuously and retardedly assume there is a magical utopia in America where minimum wage feels just fine and the cost of living scales linearly downwards to reflect your wise choice to not give a poo poo about sushi places or some loving crap

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I can't really assume age ranges here and I don't know what kind of ruck you are all hauling your own selves but let me tell you it's a real fuckin hum dinger to be in the mid twenties trying to figure poo poo out in this economy if by circumstance or choice you find yourself with a modicum of trouble seeking employment. The platitudes about life and jobs and getting used to it are all real fuckin cutesy and correct but it is the most absolutely infuriating poo poo on earth to just listen to people opine about how poo poo is bad it's always gonna be bad. Does that sound loving inspiring to you? Does it sound great feeling forty at age 26? Because that's what is going on for a sizeable portion of this country. Here's an idea when your kid turns about fifteen or so make sure you sit them down and give them a big loving lecture about being a nihilist piece of poo poo because that's just the way the world turns.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I'm actually just projecting my own frustrations I've gone through over the past few years and am only now getting out of through my posting in the ur-gooniest way possible I'm laid up with the flu and decided to wage class war in a GBS thread

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I can't really rant too much about nepotism I guess cause it's what gave me the leg up I needed lmao hail capitalism it makes us all gargle satans balls at least a little

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

NObodiesGeek posted:

For those who say that everyone should earn a living wage, what do you mean exactly? I want all the details for your plan.
Who should regulate this? Is it different in every city or state or the whole country? Also, what is the living wage? What should you reasonably be able to afford with this living wage? Do taxes factor into the wage? Do you really think High schoolers, who get their first job flipping burgers for extra money, has to be paid enough to be able to afford a house and car and bills and savings?

Nobody is paying for a house. Everybody just gets a house :)

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I have a hard time feeling sympathetic, given the fact that it took me years to nail down a full time job after college. If she thinks working a full time job for minimum wage sucks, she should try the idea of having to work three part time jobs strung together to pay the bills, without the benefit of health insurance (paid my own, decade before Obamacare) . And all three of those jobs required a bachelor's degree. It sucked, but it was a living.

My current job is awesome but has nothing to do with my major or even requires a degree. But I wouldn't have gotten it if I was so proud and full of myself to think I arbitrarily deserved a position.

Indeed, suffering is good and we should uphold it as meritorious and indicative of your value to society as a whole. All shall be forced through the mesh until only the deserved are able to comfortably provide for themselves, and staunchly defend this cycle.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
That's a great misappropriation of the Buddha's words I'm sure that he indeed meant we should conform to the ideology of misery as the default state that is at the core of all this poo poo and perpetuate it by inaction or apathy against our fellow man

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I'm not really fired up about whatever her nonjob dream job was. Just trying to suggest things really really really never will change if we forsake idealism and looking forward entirely for the chains all around us in the present. Of course you have to work within the now you are born into, and find your way within it. But you can disparage what's happening and advocate for something different along the way.

jackyl posted:

this is sustainable because

You understand that globalized capitalism is unsustainable right???

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 21, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
If there is an afterlife I will look down upon you stomach germs

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

jackyl posted:

cool, but maybe u should care about this life?

are you insinuating I abuse my intestinal fauna???

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
you are actually cursed to encounter illiterates your entire life possibly gypsy or houdou in origin

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
why do you think it's virtuous to be bound by ball and chain to a lovely job? why do you think that there should be an expectation to give a gently caress about being professional when menial min wage laborers are treated like garbage regardless of their performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
what about studies that have shown people in managerial positions -so long term employees- to be the source of problems vastly more often than the employees they are supervising?

• Locked thread