Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

It's not about boot straps, it's about actually doing something with your life. People like this just refuse to take responsibility for their own careers rather than cry about how life is unfair because they might have to work a lovely job for a year - seriously, one whole year, which makes me wonder how long this person even lasted - before being handed their dream job.

Also, lol at anyone comparing this situation to real poverty. This is just an entitled brat crying to an echo chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

OxMan posted:

I feel like no one in this thread that talks about the bay area has actually lived here the last few years. A room in san jose for 500? Only in the ghetto, and that's IF you're lucky. We live in a 2 bedroom that costs 1450 a month in a neighborhood that has the street blocked off by the police once a week and has practically no insulation and shaking windows every time the wind blows. 250 of those bucks in the last 2 years. I have friends in SF that pay that much for a studio in the tenderloin (hella ghetto for you non cali folk). poo poo has gotten insanely unlivable here, to the point where various grassroots groups are starting to pop up to try and slow down the insane rate rent is going up because everyone is living with their parents in low income housing on food stamps and are still unable to make ends meet. The elderly are expected to live off not even a grand in social security, somehow. My family and myself are actually leaving CA next month because outside of New York basically anywhere else is more reasonable. poo poo is really bad here. Like yeah homegirl is an idiot, but poo poo is still really hosed.

Great, so you're doing the right thing then? When I graduated from college I didn't move back to Detroit because, similar to what you're saying about the Bay Area, it wasn't going to provide opportunities for me to support myself or my family. People were all 'lol of course Detroit sucks and there's no jobs' and this isn't much of a different situation. You can't live on 20k/yr in San Francisco (or anywhere in the Bay) so don't try.

The fact that this person actually moved to the Bay Area knowing that this was the case is what is truly mind boggling. The people who deserve sympathy and help are those who are stuck and cannot afford to move - the single mothers who make up the majority of the cafeteria workers and other service workers at the tech companies, for example. Not the dumb poo poo whose career aspirations add up to 'forums superstar'.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

white knighting the gently caress out of a girl on the internet

lol man you've really gone all out in the past few pages. a good hill to die on I'd say.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

You loving idiots she posted this like a day before that dumb open letter

http://alotofrice.pixieset.com/thatsalotofrice/?pid=437293647&id=0&h=MjQzMTA3OTMxMg

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

Turns out Yelp is a cool company and everything is A OK in San Francisco and we have all been scammed . That's a relief.

fight the good fight in a thread about actual poverty, this is about an rear end in a top hat scamming dumb idiots on the internet.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Bobbie Wickham posted:

A STEM degree isn’t necessarily some magic ticket to a six-figure job, though. What’s a Bachelor’s in Math going to get you—a cushy job at the local cosine factory? A lot of people in those fields end up going to grad school for a more practical Master’s in teaching or library science, anyway—nobody’s really chomping at the bit to get a physics major in the office. The point of college isn’t just to acquire knowledge in a specific field; in theory, people are supposed to be acquiring skills like critical reading, time management, how to formulate/express/defend ideas coherently, do research with a discerning eye, and so on. Every degree is worthless, if you don’t know how to hustle.

You also have to consider that, 1) not everyone is cut out for STEM or business or other "useful" degrees, and 2) funneling people into those "useful" degree programs is going to create a glut of job candidates looking for work in the same fields. What's the point of being a struggling student with mediocre grades and no interest in the career I'm training for? Especially if you have to distinguish yourself from the graduates with the genuine passion, talent, and desire to excel in Finance or Chemistry or whatever? Especially if there's a surplus of job candidates--which is something that's happened with "useful" careers like nurses, teachers, and even librarians. You may as well play to your strengths and actually make the most of both college and yourself. A degree in English isn't exceptional, but a degree in English with a 3.8 GPA and membership in the Golden Key Society stands out far more than a 2.1 GPA in Accounting and the dread of being stuck in that job forever.

This girl’s problem isn’t that she got a BA in English. Yelp girl’s problem is that she expected to land a good job right out of college, with no work experience, at the age of 25. My sister has a BA in English, and has an awesome job: she’s a technical/promotional writer and personal assistant for the CEO of a local company. (Perks include accompanying her boss on business trips and getting a personal spending account to blow on whatever her little heart desires. Girl got trashed in the sauna of a four-star hotel in Beijing on the company’s dime.) My sister was lucky to have a connection that got her in the door for that job—but she also made her own luck by working hard (like creating content more substantial than a cutesy Twitter account), being smart, accumulating experience, and promoting herself in a thoughtful and appealing manner.

Shoot, right now I’m fielding job prospects from the state for $39K entry-level positions; meanwhile, the supervisor at my county job is trying to cut my probationary period short and secure my position as Permanent. Once I hit the one-year mark, I’m eligible for transfers, promotions, and a free college education up to a Master’s. My degree is a “worthless” BA in History, something I studied because I’m interested in it. I wasn’t hired because they need someone with in-depth knowledge of Galileo’s persecution by the Catholic Church.

The thing is, having a college education isn't a guarantee that you'll have a lucrative career, but not having a college education is an obstacle to getting a lucrative career. You can work around it--lots of people do very well without a degree--but it's still an impediment. Having a degree has never stopped anyone from establishing a career.

Didn't read lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

So if internet proliferation, more education, and easier visas make it easier for India and China to take STEM jobs,

and NAFTA & TPP have outsourced manufacturing jobs,

and automation can replace service jobs,

What's left? I'm trying really hard to not fall into doom and gloom. I know the world has been globalizing forever, - jobs have gone to the next village over or the next continent - but I genuinely don't know what is going to happen. Should I emigrate to a BRIC and use my Canadian education as leverage?

Sales and networking, same as it's always been. Contracts don't go to who does it best, they go to who has the best relationship.

• Locked thread