Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shaquin posted:

Every American citizen should have a safe, reasonable, and comfortable home subsidized by the government

There's enough empty housing in America to make this possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NObodiesGeek posted:

For those who say that everyone should earn a living wage, what do you mean exactly? I want all the details for your plan.
Who should regulate this? Is it different in every city or state or the whole country? Also, what is the living wage? What should you reasonably be able to afford with this living wage? Do taxes factor into the wage? Do you really think High schoolers, who get their first job flipping burgers for extra money, has to be paid enough to be able to afford a house and car and bills and savings?

Living wage is about $21 an hour. Like yeah, high schoolers should probably not be making a living wage but blame that on our capitalist society. More then just high schoolers are doing these jobs, that's the reality, should grown adults be doing them? No, probably not, but they are.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NObodiesGeek posted:

Ok. Where does the $21 come from? Is that the national average? Should it be $21 everywhere or just in the highest of priced cities? Also, what does a monthly budget look like at $21 to make that the golden number?

That's the national average. Like I dunno, I think it should be that wage everywhere. Think about all of the stuff you have to pay for, you need a car, health and dental insurance, in some cases mental healthcare too and that is expensive. Food, gas, car insurance, utilities, phone, internet, these things are not cheap but all are required too. If you are in college this could be enough to pay your tuition, so I would think that would be a huge plus? Capitalism is a disaster.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I almost did what this girl did, but in Los Angeles. This almost happened a month ago. The difference is that I asked friends for advice and they all slapped me across the head and told me I was making a gigantic mistake. I decided to not make the move to Los Angeles.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would need to happen to drive rental prices down? Like maybe the problem isn't wages, but just the cost of living is absurd and there should at the very least be something done about rent in cities.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moltke posted:

LA is super affordable and is one of the few major cities you could get by only working part-time in a coffee shop.

Sure if I want to live in a area where I might get shot or mugged. The job I was considering taking only paid $15 an hour and was in one of the most expensive parts of the city.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Everybody give me money so I can live out my dreams of having your money. I also might have boobs.

if you have big boobs then you should just be a cam streamer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Das Boo posted:

You can just trust my boobs are big because like many people, I need more money.

reading her twitter, people are unironically throwing her money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The hard part isn't learning something, it's how to take that something and turn it into something that is actually usable that makes money. That part is incredibly hard and college teaches you how to do that, at least in theory.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Uncle Salty posted:

That's her, though, right? The chick in the OP is the chick showing off boobs in the shark hood and bragging about how people want feet pix.

No, the person making mad bank off of showing off her feet for perverts is a goon. Someone else entirely from who the OP is about.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

honestly the funniest thing about this to me is that she didn't just loving rob that place blind

'waaah there's food at work but it's meant for work only eating so I can't eat at home!' like for real bitch they're paying you $8/hr TAKE THAT poo poo ANYWAY

minimum wage = looking for ways to get that tax free money out the register

A tech place I interviewed at had this, a whole kitchen always stocked with all sorts of food. Two employees admitted that their entire diet was off of food in that kitchen. Everyone took food home and even came in on weekends just to grab a few meals and go home with it. poo poo, I could handle a low wage if I never had to pay for food.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why don't more tech companies do telecommute work?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

I mean jesus I pay people $12-14/hr in North San Diego County and all they have to do is enter invoices and do some light customer service and I promise my company is nowhere near as cash rich as this start up.

I am retarded and worthless, but are you hiring?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Managing people remotely is challenging, but if they're engaged and reliable, it's totally worth it. But image managing just one person like the girl in the OP.

Yeah, I can see why companies might not want to risk that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

goons are so loving weird; if this wasn't a millennial at a start up in SF but everything else was the same you'd be screaming for the blood of the CEO or some idiot poo poo and talking about how CEOs are hella overpaid given what they actually do

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest she is paid a living wage at a company that has millions of dollars. If we are talking about a mom n pop restaurant that legit can't afford to pay more that's another thing.

The reality is that we are a generation of people that have to face the fact that capitalism has screwed us over. You cannot get by in a city without roommates, it just cannot be done. Whining about the wages is stupid, everyone knows the wages are bad, maybe this will change some day, but for now it is what it is. All she did was drat herself to being fired and talking about something everyone is already well aware of, but everyone at the same time is divided on whether or not it is actually a problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do people keep talking about living with roommates like it's some extreme concession only necessary for those living in metro areas.

Every person in my age group (late 20's) that I know has roommates unless they landed a job that brings in cash way above the average level. This is all over San Diego county (not anywhere near the metro area). Nobody can afford to live on their own. It's either parents or roommates for all of us.

All of California is like that, but not all of the United States is like this. Most of Arizona, you do not need a roommate unless you have a minimum wage job. Anything above that, even a few dollars an hour, you can get by living on your own even in Phoenix. Just a handful of places in Arizona would require roommates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

gently caress that, if we never whined about our problems nothing would ever get fixed. What you think the corporate overlords are just going to raise wages one day to be nice? People 'whine' about their issues all the time, it's how things change.

I'll grant you she went about it in a dumb way.

No one is going to do anything about it because we have social safety nets that make us comfortable enough to not force any real change. Plus a culture of being afraid to really speak up because entitlements and being treated like a human being are somehow considered awful. If Bernie Sanders becomes president, and we get a democrat controlled congress, then maybe real progress will be made. We will know at the end of this year. For now everyone is forced to sit tight, these things take awhile.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

What do you want them to pay her? I know a lot of people have said minimum wage, because that's kinna what she implied in her letter, however a few pages back a goon who is familiar with her exact position said it pays 35k/yr + benefits. Yeah that's still poo poo for the bay area, but I seriously doubt her job even requires a college degree or any work experience.

See i've thought a lot about this over the last year, and the idea that you get paid based on the skills you need to do the job, is a really flawed idea. Shouldn't instead it be based on the cost of living for the area you are in? It would certain encourage tech companies to gently caress off and leave California if this were the case. They would spread out over the U.S. creating jobs in cheaper areas and help out poorer communities. At least in theory. In reality they would probably all gently caress off to China, so lmao I have no idea really.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

well that much is obvious but I don't think it means people should be intimidated into not speaking up when they feel underpaid

I can get behind that. People should feel safe speaking up. The age of negotiating for your pay is long over it seems, very few people can do that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

crabcakes66 posted:

I don't even know how to have a conversation with anyone that actually believes this.

Look at how it's working out for California though. It's not, at all. People are barely getting by even with roommates, or they are having to commute for hours each day to get to work. It really sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I think it might've gone better for her if she hadn't been vaguely threatening and openly condescending in her letter.

Yes, this is very true. Her letter was garbage and I admit I didn't even finish it, which a lot of people in this thread admit they didn't either and I don't blame them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

goat manilla posted:

What this millennial bitch doesn't apparently realize is that once you enter the workforce YOU WILL EAT poo poo for like 10 years. It's not about how qualified you probably are, after all you just spent 10 years in college. These loving hipster millennial freegans spend the first half of their adult life in college telling themselves they're doing something positive and investing in their future. They wake up on a couch, floor or god forbid THEIR actual bed for 10 years putting off term papers until the day before and living life that way thinking, "oh the workforce is just this except I probably have to have a set schedule". You could be a senior in college for 3 years the whole time thinking "I'm at the top!" or "so this is what being on top feels like!". One lucky day she gets an entry level hipster job where she will finally get to post food LOLs. Guess what, bitch. Now you're at the bottom! The guy that's worked his way up to Wendy's management while you were "bettering your future" for 10 years has more money in his 401k than money you've earned to date. But he's the chode, right? He's the one that "didn't make it", right?
When are we going to stop letting people think that their liberal arts degree is going to change the world? Why do we provide support for insufferable hipsters who sign their letters to their boss with their own tears? gently caress you, insufferable hipster girl! SUCK IT, COOCH!!

To be fair though the baby boomer generation instilled in the millennials when they were young that you had to go to college in order to get a job where you can support yourself. Once you get out of college you are good to go for getting that mythical unicorn of a job that lets you live on your own with a really good salary to live your life how you see fit. That was maybe true in the 90s (if it was true at all) but it is not anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What benefit is there for a start up company to operate in San Francisco anyways? Why not somewhere in the midwest or like Arizona, Utah, and Nevada where it's really cheap to live and operate a business?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fakiebeanplant posted:

lol what nursery rhyme or bedtime story stipulated this

I was always told this in middle school and high school. Every teacher told me I had to go to college or the best I could do is flip hamburgers. The reality is that even with a bachelors degree the best someone can do is work in a office and still only make minimum wage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is a Yelp job specifically tailored for people fresh out of college: http://www.yelp.com/careers/job-ope...an-Francisco-CA but she wouldn't have qualified for this position.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

idiot lady could have moved to Phoenix, AZ instead but too late for that now http://www.yelp.com/careers/job-openings/4bd5dbb1-7fc5-4d4e-9a0d-b77b5609f2e0?description=Account-Manager-New-Grad_College-Sales_Phoenix-AZ

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

btw when did we start saying she worked at Yelp?

She worked at "eat24" according to the OP...

Yelp owns Eat24 if I am understanding it correctly. She was employed and paid by them or something like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"All the water you can drink, for FREE"

At first I thought this was absurd, then I remembered this is California.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

this is all womens fault :mad:

Women in general are garbage human beings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Cholula posted:

You loving idiots she posted this like a day before that dumb open letter

http://alotofrice.pixieset.com/thatsalotofrice/?pid=437293647&id=0&h=MjQzMTA3OTMxMg

Not at all surprised.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Cholula posted:

You loving idiots she posted this like a day before that dumb open letter

http://alotofrice.pixieset.com/thatsalotofrice/?pid=437293647&id=0&h=MjQzMTA3OTMxMg

Does anyone have the image from this saved? It got deleted.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrankieGoes posted:

Which image?

Its a tweet where she admits she wanted to get fired by Yelp to create a sob story to get people to give her money. Her whole thing is a scam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

texaholic posted:

quoting from the first page because I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.

While that quote makes sense on the surface, that's really not what liberals are asking for. There are almost no American corporations, or billionaires paying their taxes, and that is what people are asking for. This quote is suggesting that everyone should have to give up a huge portion of their income to help others out, that is not the case at all, we all already do this, but its a couple dollars each year, as opposed to the thousands from each American that goes towards corporate handouts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wizchine posted:

Sorry about your poor reading comprehension. The first half she relates her own narrative and how she started out in the same boat, but then makes different choices than the subject in the op by getting over her sense of entitlement, swallowing her pride, leveraging her opportunities in the restaurant/bar industry to make more and more money, and then following her dreams by pursuing a screenwriting career. The second half she specifically critiques the thought process and choices of the dork in the OP.

She lived with her parents while doing all of this though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Cholula posted:

Didn't read lol

You should take the time to read it, he actually gave really good advice, a rarity for GBS!

I just landed a new job this week at a tech company, I have no STEM degree to speak of. :eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

oh also be "good with computers" and work with old people. helps a ton.

This. I see almost every job now have the requirement that you be computer literate, which means having a good understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, and know the in's and outs of Windows and sometimes Mac. If my dad was entering the workforce right out of college today, he would be totally screwed. He is just old enough that computers are still confusing to him, same for my mom.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

A bloo bloo, i don't get paid enough money. WHAAAAAA There are literally no jobs out there anymore to live the American Dream. I'll just sit in this starbuck and pout.

lol why are you blanking out the city? I live in Phoenix, AZ and it's the same salary as your screenshot soooooo....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

no one is going to move to arizona, home of noted coward John McCain.

Phoenix is gonna be Detroit in eight years when we run out of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I lived in the Phoenix suburbs for three years and it not only made me depressed, but every single woman there has been married since they were 20 years old or have been divorced twice and had at least 2 kids by the age of 30. It is a hot cesspool of methheads, bad pussy, overt racism, lovely bars that close early, bad food, and sun bleached strip malls as far as the eye can see. Its a city with no soul or identity and their sports teams suck or are hours away on a single traffic clogged highway in an even worse shithole than Phoenix. That said, there are some super pretty mountains and stuff.

This sums up Phoenix, I agree with all of this.

• Locked thread