Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Problem description: After a couple of days' use, my newly-built desktop shut off abruptly. When I tried to turn it back on, the lights inside and outside came on, and the case fans and PSU fans came on, but the CPU and GPU fans wouldn't spin, and the monitor got no signal. This happened inconsistently--sometimes the system would start up fine, other times I'd have the problem. On people's advice I removed the GPU and switched to onboard video, and didn't encounter the issue for a while. Today, though, it's back. The CPU fan still won't spin, and the monitor doesn't react to my turning the computer on at all. One of the times I tried to start it, the CPU fan twitched a bit, like it was going to start spinning and thought better of it. Since then it hasn't moved at all.

Attempted fixes: Reseated PSU cables and CPU fan jumper, tried moving jumper to other sets of pins. Removed GPU and switched to onboard video.

Recent changes: PC is newly built.

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Mid Tower
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad-Core 3.3 GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
GPU: HD4870

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Okay, interesting update, since I've been continuing to mess with it:

-I tried starting it again and the CPU fan spun this time, but the monitor still didn't get a signal from the computer (double checked all the cables)
-Tried starting it another time and this time the CPU fan twitched, stopped for a few seconds, and then spun up, but still no signal to the monitor

This is all bizarre, but the fact that both the CPU fans and (formerly) the GPU were having issues makes me suspect the motherboard. What's everyone think? :\

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Usually the symptoms you're describing mean the power supply's short circuit protection is triggering and cutting power. Make extra sure you don't have any cables mis-connected, especially to header ports on the motherboard, and that the motherboard isn't shorting out on the case anywhere, and that you didn't forget the standoffs between the motherboard and case.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Alereon posted:

Usually the symptoms you're describing mean the power supply's short circuit protection is triggering and cutting power. Make extra sure you don't have any cables mis-connected, especially to header ports on the motherboard, and that the motherboard isn't shorting out on the case anywhere, and that you didn't forget the standoffs between the motherboard and case.

I definitely have the standoffs installed--I'll check the cables.

I'm not sure how the PSU cutting power squares with some fans staying on but not others, or the computer powering up but not getting a signal to the monitor--is that possible?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
So it's ONLY the CPU fan that's twitching? And you're sure you have it plugged into the correct header, without any low noise adapters or anything?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Alereon posted:

So it's ONLY the CPU fan that's twitching? And you're sure you have it plugged into the correct header, without any low noise adapters or anything?

It's definitely in the right header, no adapters (there's only one 4-pin CPU fan header on the motherboard, the rest are 3-pin as far as I can see). The system has started up perfectly fine and run all day lots of times in this exact configuration. Occasionally it would have these spells of the CPU fan not spinning + no signal to the monitor but then it'd go back to booting up fine. It seems to be getting worse now, though. :{

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That would point to a motherboard issue to me.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm thinking the same thing, especially since when I had a GPU in there the fans on it would fail to spin on the same occasions as the CPU fan.

I RMAd the motherboard on my last build too, I guess I'll have to do it again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Even good motherboards can die, but stepping up to an Asus or even MSI board drastically ups your chances of having a good experience compared to the lower-end brands like ASrock, or god-forbid Gigabyte.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Haha, my last one was a Gigabyte. I didn't realize that was a low-end brand, definitely gonna get an ASUS or something next time around. Thanks!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Gigabyte isn't a really low-end brand but their products are extremely poor quality, worse than you get from the actual low-end brands. For example, Gigabyte boards provide fake voltage readings for the CPU that are within the normal range, in order to hide the fact that they cheaped out on the power delivery components responsible for stable voltage to the CPU. In general terms they cut every corner that doesn't affect the spec sheet on the side of the box. ASrock is pretty good for a low-end brand, but the experience still isn't comparable to a good motherboard from Asus or even MSI, which both work better and feel faster in normal usage due to reduced DPC latency (see bottom chart).

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Update with some new symptoms (sorry about the awful quality, had to borrow someone's phone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWNcAJEFIA0

So now everything is stopping and starting, CPU fan twitches and won't spin, that buzzing is coming from the DVD drive.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Common behavior of dead motherboard or PSU that's underpowered/failing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Zogo posted:

Common behavior of dead motherboard or PSU that's underpowered/failing.

Can a PSU fail over time as a result of being underpowered?

This build used to have a 4870 GPU in it that I've since removed, and the problems have persisted, which makes me think the PSU should be sufficient. I'm not sure though! I'll try replacing the motherboard first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Haledjian posted:

Can a PSU fail over time as a result of being underpowered?

Yes, their performance degrades over time.

• Locked thread