Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
browsing the ms thread got me thinking about how bad it must feel to be some no name dev working on a no name feature in windows 10 right now. "yospos bitch!" i thought smugly. then i sat back and recalled some of the doozies i've worked on, including

- web mail client for blackberry users who don't read mail on their blackberries
- wince drm for plays for sure devices
- google plus

lol

hopefully someone can beat that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

before I went on holiday [vacation:rolleyes:] I showed a statistical relationship between the price of petrol at the pump and the number of road accidents in the district.

no one gave a poo poo.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
training my replacements when, working for a canadian company, got bought out by an american company. since we didn't get any of the sweet govt money anymore we were hemorrhaging money, so they got rid of us

that was a fun 6 months

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
- new certification rules for companies that make iProduct accessories transitioning to lightning connector
- promotional email spamming based on what you've bought or looked at...

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

before I went on holiday [vacation:rolleyes:] I showed a statistical relationship between the price of petrol at the pump and the number of road accidents in the district.

no one gave a poo poo.

what's the result in 1 sentence?

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
one time i was bored so i jacked off in the bathroom at work. i even managed to finish

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

price goes down, collisions go up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

price goes down, collisions go up.

but did you control for higher total miles driven?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

one sentence.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I once worked on a web site

in php

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Same but in notepad

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my new years resolution is going good: no pepperoni or anything with pepperoni!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
An iOS app that charged a monthly fee so users could scan lottery tickets (poorly) and save them to check against the winning numbers and track how much you won

they forgot the part where people who habitually play the lottery 1. can't afford monthly fees for anything, 2. don't use iphones, and 3. don't care about tracking their "winnings"(losings)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
the best part was the idiot client somehow got onto fox business channel to promote his app on a news segment and claimed that there was some special algorithm that determined the most likely numbers based on previous drawings (which was complete bullshit and the app did no such thing), and then got reamed by the newscaster who told him that was impossible. when he retorted about it, the anchor was like 'yeah that's not true, i have a masters in statistics' and shut him down on live television

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

the best part was the idiot client somehow got onto fox business channel to promote his app on a news segment and claimed that there was some special algorithm that determined the most likely numbers based on previous drawings (which was complete bullshit and the app did no such thing), and then got reamed by the newscaster who told him that was impossible. when he retorted about it, the anchor was like 'yeah that's not true, i have a masters in statistics' and shut him down on live television

lol is this on youtube somewhere

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the assignment: reading raiser's edge printouts, typing address labels from them into wordperfect, printing envelopes with those addresses on them, for six weeks

the workaround: telling raiser's edge to print to csv, then writing a onebutan perfectscript macro to import it into quattro, rip out address label data, export it to txt, then import that txt into a wordperfect mail merge and print a whole pile of envelopes, so that thing that took three office ladies and a temp (me) a month and a half could now be done by a computer over the weekend

so they fired the temp

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"our communication protocol is really bad and broken and insecure and we finally (after 10 years) got a customer that gives a gently caress and is poking around with wireshark"

so my boss made me write my own lovely version of TLS (running on top of actual TLS) built into our lovely protocol specifically so they couldn't look at how bad it was :v:

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
I write code that interfaces with ActiveX

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i made python run on a 120mhz ARM SoC to please the whims of a startup CEO who thought python's yield keyword would be a better form of microthreading for subsequent C code

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I designed the template for hotwire's seo farm so that if you search for "san diego hotel" you'll geet this generic landing page with wikitravel content and lots of links to listings

the most shameful from the "it was a total waste of time" perspective was probably having to design a netware administrative setup UI for a printer server, can't decide if the java front-end or the embedded 4x32 screen version was worse, 2 months and I doubt if anyone outside of the company ever saw it, they had no known customers on netware by 2004 but were afraid to get rid of it

also spent a year trying to make this not suck [and failing]

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I make boutique-y fitness tracking gadgets for rich people. Think $500+ pedometer. To be fair, they're well-made. It's just something I have no interest in.

Related: I'm currently working on a "smart bed".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I invented google wave

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol zone alarm

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

craisins posted:

I write code that interfaces with ActiveX

present tense?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

meatpotato posted:

I make boutique-y fitness tracking gadgets for rich people. Think $500+ pedometer. To be fair, they're well-made. It's just something I have no interest in.

Related: I'm currently working on a "smart bed".

i worked on the mobile site for a store that sells $7000 pillowcases to olds who will never, ever use the mobile site because they're olds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i worked on the mobile site for a store that sells $7000 pillowcases to olds who will never, ever use the mobile site because they're olds

what are they made out of?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

lol zone alarm

I was there for two years and accomplished so little that I quit because I could feel myself getting worse at my job and was concerned I wouldn't be able to get anything better in the future

everything product proposed as ui changes got fought every step of the way by tech who could always just say "whoops there's a stability issue, all feature upgrades are off the table until next release"

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

PotatoJudge posted:

present tense?

the actual ActiveX code never changes, but the things I write that shove data to it do

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

at my first job out of school, i worked for a company making connection manager software for windows, for mobile broadband and then, when that became irrelevant, to find wifi hotspots. every one of their apps was on the list of poo poo you uninstall when you buy the laptop.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

what are they made out of?

i just went back and checked, the pillowcases are actually not that expensive (like $100), what I was remembering were pillows themselves. $6899 for a single "heirloom silk" pillow.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I invented google wave

did you invent the scrollbars in google wave

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

microsoft added a generic mobile broadband driver to windows 7 and beefed it up in windows 8 and i'm pretty sure it was specifically created to make lovely programs like ours unnecessary. it was so bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

filled with "the rarest down in the world" which better come from literal golden geese for that loving price

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

lol is this on youtube somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffn006-1ww

and for reference, the scope of the project was: build an app with a spinny ball-rolling animation that showed the winning numbers for whatever lotto you picked, then it had a "add ticket" function that allowed you to use the camera to scan in a ticket using OCR that was janky as gently caress because it was done with a public OCR library that we had to use out of the box given the $25k budget this client was on. The ticket image and read numbers were stored locally and the tracking of winnings was done locally on the device as well, so if you signed in on two phones you didn't get synced. And we had to implement a subscription service as well.

the client was a loser and cashed out his retirement or something to pay us to make this app and then couldn't even afford to pay for the last couple build deliveries so he threatened to sue us while also trying to sweet talk us into being "partners" and that we'd get paid when this app went viral and made him a millionaire. i think we ended up writing off the cost as a loss and told him to gently caress off.

THE BIG DOG DADDY fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 23, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

filled with "the rarest down in the world" which better come from literal golden geese for that loving price

$2,699.00 - $7,199.00 for some special eider duck.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
working on some science practices standards thing, so principals can keep track of their teachers or something

there's all this encryption stuff, and it's so boring the gears in my brain are all too gooey and stuck together to even work on it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

qirex posted:

I designed the template for hotwire's seo farm so that if you search for "san diego hotel" you'll geet this generic landing page with wikitravel content and lots of links to listings

you mother fucker

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
windows 10

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
actually in 1996 i did a freelance job where i made a website for some bullshit "natural" health products i didn't believe in and that really set the tone for a lifetime of 'work makes me feel icky inside' that i'm only just now getting over

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wrote the code for the something awful dot com forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MrMoo posted:

$2,699.00 - $7,199.00 for some special eider duck.

yep that's the same stuff. different store though, apparently there's enough competition to warrant multiple old rich people ecommerce websites?

• Locked thread