Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Greg12 posted:

If Books Could Kill podcast has started on self-help finance books where the authors come out and recommend their readers run the scam of selling self-help finance books.

Got a title for a good ep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Downloaded, thanks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember my mom bought me RDPD, thinking it was some kind of lifetime step by step financial advice thing

I never read it, based on what they said in the 4 Hour ep it sounds like I dodged a bullet

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess the latest scam fad is fake surveys.

I’ve been getting three “Fill out a survey from *Canadian Brand* for a chance to win a $500 giftcard!” Emails a day for a couple weeks.

Always $500. My ip address must identify me as Canadian.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I share an uncommon name with a minor celebrity in the sports world and get emails and mail for him sometimes. It’s distressing sometimes to track a parcel and see it heading to his address but they either catch it/ he sends it back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Original_Z posted:

Some years back I got an email from someone who claimed to be a detective asking me to contact another person since they haven't replied to their emails or calls. I just ignored it since it could have been a scam and if it was important they would find another way to contact the person I assumed. About a month later I got a follow-up saying that since the person never got in touch they couldn't charge some guy with aggravated assault and gave me some information on a grand jury session where they'd try to charge him with what they could. I felt kind of bad about not replying to that first email.

I don't get much mistaken email otherwise, although I sometimes get people who sign up for services using my email address, I usually just try to unsubscribe and ignore it and put that I never signed up if the option is there, but some services just will not stop spamming me. Someone signed me up to IndiaMart and goddamn, there is no way to get off their mailing list, they say you can but it never works.

That follow up sounds fake too

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My sister in law’s sister in law had a weird thing happen to her this holiday season: she bought someone a $200 giftcard, but when the person uploaded it to an account the balance read as $15.xx. The package the card came in was sealed, how did the scam work?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ChatGPT write me a script where a goon shows up for his wrong-email-guys account and meets the woman of his dreams

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Speaking of Sovereign Citizen crap:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-lawyer-pseudolegal-lawsuit-1.7072762

CBC posted:

Vancouver lawyer suspended after accusations of pseudolegal 'paper terrorism' over neighbour's deck

quote:

In November, Arbabi agreed to meet with a CBC reporter to discuss her lawsuit, but upon arrival, declined to answer any questions. Instead, she read out a notice warning of consequences if a story were to be published without her consent.

"As such harm is a very grievous trespass, i, shall claim remedy in the amount of $500,000 for such trespass plus $5,000 a day for as long as the trespass continues," the notice read.

They’re all really just looking for the magic legal spell that makes them rich.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I’m gobsmacked that an attorney would do this without neurotrauma involved.

I heavily suspect some previously unknown/ previously treated, now not mental illness is at play. It’s the only way I can figure out this lady getting through law school then burning down her career.

Unless she just stole the identity of some lady

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, thinking you’re not the person that can be scammed puts you halfway there for the scammer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, plus aside from the occasional nut, it’s a good barrier.

Probably the best $10 I’ve ever spent, besides New Vegas

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Give me your money nerds

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Where you nutting for only $10

My mom’s house?

Your wife’s house

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yawn

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Despite my snarky response, I do apologize if I offended anyone (except for BWaBD) with my posts

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:evilbuddy:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My dad just got a “Hey dad, my phone isn’t working. Call me wt this number, it’s important!” text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I know someone who lost a lot of money recklessly speculating in crypto and isn’t allowed to handle money in their relationship anymore lol