Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Achmed Jones posted:

Get one of the 85 apps that will block calls originating from your first 6 that aren't in your contacts. Robokiller and hiya can do this; I think at&t call protect does as well. I think every US carrier has an app for that

If you aren't using a smartphone, then I think you're out of luck unfortunately

I use at&t call protect... the free version is pretty limited, but it’s what i use and last night I received a call that it helpfully labeled “spam”. You can then check the app and see that it’s based on X number of reports.
Crowdsourcing calls/numbers seems like it could be a good idea.
I used to google numbers and there are a couple of websites that provide feedback for phone numbers but having it in an app on your phone seems much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The US mail is tremendously important and I’m concerned that people seem to be saying that it should just go away. The spam sucks, but geez talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I’m curious, you can do your car registration online and I do, but how do you get your renewal sticker? I guess if your state doesn’t bother then cool, but I’d have to go to an office to get one. Screw that

With all of the lack of safeguards on email, phones, etc. the only way I can be sure something is truly legit is if it’s mailed to me and I can independently verify it.

Plus postcards rule

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, my wife’s brother is one of the saleskids in this... he said Shia lebeuf is pretty cool.

We still haven’t made it all the way through the whole movie yet though...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Not a scam, but certainly weird:
We ordered a case of Minute Maid apple juice off of Amazon, then received a package delivered to our door of 4 6-packs of MM Apple juice in Walmart bags. The first time we thought it was misdelivered and a crazy coincidence from one of our neighbors, but nope. Someone selling on Amazon went to Walmart and grabbed apple juice for us.

It wasn’t even that expensive… not sure how they turned a profit

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Plus tons of manufacturing/shipping/everything in China is subsidized by the government…

Since I’m in the thread for it, I’d describe it as the long con where you get the world to depend on you by undercutting local competition until they’re forced to close down, then you’re the only game in town and have tons of leverage.

Sounds like a conspiracy, since I have no proof that’s the plan. Just a hunch

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

StormDrain posted:

Man gently caress you both.

People ordered seeds and forgot about them because it took months to arrive.

Thanks

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Man, I could go off on mechanics. They seriously all suck. gently caress em

Fwiw, the only positive experience I’ve ever had was recently with wrench.com. I know the gig economy sucks but I won’t shed a single tear for the incumbent unregulated industry. It makes so much sense to me that they should be able to come to you and at least diagnose. The guy had a bunch of tools in his truck, figured out the part needed and went and got it and put it on after I approved the quote. There’s obviously stuff they can’t do, but most jobs don’t need a lift and can be done without all that expensive equipment.

Good mechanics, I’m sure you’re out there… but your in business with a bunch of shitheads.

Locksmith: bring up maps on your phone and find someone local and call them up. Lol at going to a generic search engine to look for a local business.

Also learn to pick locks, it’s easy and fun

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

They lie about their address in order to appear on your local map.

I did not know that. Thx for letting me know. I guess you could street view the building and make sure they have signage? Or like someone else said, go through insurance or something.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

greazeball posted:

You do realise that Google search and Google maps are pretty much the same data in a different interface, yeah? As The Lone Badger said, the scammers manipulate the poo poo out of maps results too. From that article I linked earlier:

It's a high-tech war on consumers and Google is delighted with their CPM metrics so they don't do poo poo. You have to get a personal recommendation from someone or go to page 3 or 4 of the search results and know how to spot a real local business.

I’m on mobile so I can’t quote quotes very easily… but am I to understand that these scammers are somehow able to change google’s streetview data????

The article mentions seeing a pink building on streetview and then when they went to the address it wasn’t actually there?? Was the building demolished and the scammers knew that somehow? Well that is crazy.

I guess use Apple Maps or bing maps or something and cross reference. I’m not saying don’t get a referral from a friend… just think you could detect who’s real or not using only sleuthing

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

It happens, I’ve done some stuff too without thinking. So angry that each time it makes us/me more cynical and unable to trust others.

gently caress scammers and con people, may they die cold and alone

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So, the person at the top of the pyramid never has to buy dog toys again? Did I miss something or is there no cash involved.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
If that’s true then what’s the “scam” part?

namlosh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2022

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks so much for the replies.

I get pyramid schemes and such, I think in my head scam has a connotation (wrongly) that money is made at the top. The fact that it was just dog toys made my brain see it as less harmful compared to something like Bernie Sanders. It may be less harmful, but it’s a scam all the same. Got it

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

Lol do you mean Madoff?
Oooppss
Lmao, yup

Leaving it cause it’s funny. He was at the top of the mitten pyramid

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Tesla is whole other world of lies… they got people to buy into the fact that their cars were going to be able to drive themselves (fully) and people have.
Oh, the words Full Self Driving don’t mean that!!

Now they’re too invested to admit that they got suckered into buying one on false pretenses. I can not believe there hasn’t been a class action lawsuit brought up to them on this.

I feel cheated and I haven’t even given them a dime

It just makes me sad that people can get away with this stuff with no accountability at all and become billionaires and EVEN be respected by tons of people

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

This thread needs more content: I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of NFTs, crypto, forex, rug pulls, pump and dumps, etc and just started watching videos from a YouTube called Coffeezilla.

Anyone have any opinions on the channel? Is it mostly for real? It seems like some real investigative work but it’s sooooooo stylized ( he talks with a CG robot bartender for half the episode) that it’s hard to take it seriously and I’m worried that it’s just straight fiction.

I guess I could research more but thought I’d ask here first and bump the thread since I really like this thread

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Midjack posted:

Coffezilla is pretty legitimate reporting on scams, even if the syntax is irritating the semantic content is on target.

Ok awesome, good to hear, thx!

Website that he references a lot and seems thread appropriate: https://behindmlm.com/

Between coffeezilla, munecat and (Folding Ideas) Dan Olson, I’ve been binge watching a ton of this stuff straight into my veins lol

Vvvvvvvvvvvv
Nice!

namlosh fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Gets up to hotel room…

“Have you heard the good word of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?”

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

If you realize and accept it for what it is, a framed article or trophy can be something you put in a glass case in the lobby of your business to give you slightly more cred or at least the appearance of cred

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Volmarias posted:

Powerful "Donald Trump Photoshopping Himself Onto Magazine Covers And Displaying Them" energy in this suggestion.

Agreed, just to be clear: I’m not condoning doing it in any way… just that not all of the customers are marks or getting scammed in some way. Some know exactly what they’re doing

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh… I’m getting tons of local republican texts/phone calls on my phone after voting (liberal) in TX. This sucks and I’m not sure what to do about it. I’ve had my number for forever (since 2000) and it’s never been this bad. Im usually super protective of this number.
I hate answering or texting STOP since in my head I feel that just means they’ll know it’s a good number and sell it to someone else.

To make it worse, I’m thinking of looking for a job soon which means I’ll have to start actually answering calls.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to limit this crap?
What’s the Donotcall website again?
Is there one specifically for political lists?
Should I start paying AT&T for something?
I already use the free tier of AT&T protect or whatever it’s called.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness post, but I wanted to at least get it all written down somewhere.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ok thanks for the replies everyone…

I will text STOP and/or Suck Tantric Ovaries, Penis! To all republican campaign texts I receive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’m not saying it can’t work, but all I can think of reading the above is:

You have been a valuable asset to the organization over the past X years, but present circumstances leading to your diminished ability to contribute to shared objectives has left us at an impasse and we must pursue alternate partners in order to meet our future goals. Thank you, please sign here:
<<<Signs divorce papers from hospital bed>>