Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

God help me I've never played a fighting game and I can't play this one at all :smith:

Don't sweat it. Learning to play fighting games (in general) takes months if not years.
Just find someone who's either just as new as you or someone who's willing to teach you and you'll do alright eventually.

Learning how fighting games work was the most fun I've had with video games, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

God help me I've never played a fighting game and I can't play this one at all :smith:

Are you able to upload any of your matches to Youtube?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Stop jumping.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Block

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dias posted:

Stop jumping.

Keep jumping, but learn the good jump moves.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Keep jumping, but learn the good jump moves.

No. Stop fuckin' jumping.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I installed a semi circle stick gate so it's literally impossible to jump

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jack Trades posted:

Nash's forward dash is totally average. It's even 1 frame slower than Ryu's.

That's actually deceptive. Nash's dash is 17 frames, but unlike most dashes, he spends a big chunk of the animation mostly stationary then suddenly shoots forward, so if the Nash player is doing stuff like whiffing moves and staying active, it can be very hard to see. Nash doesn't really move forward until the ~6th frame, whereas most characters are moving forward from the first frame. On top of that, Nash's dash travels a larger distance than most characters, a distance he can threaten from because of his moveset.

In terms of frames his dash is mediocre, but in practice it's really hard to react to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Microwaves Mom posted:

Are they actually going to release a fighter this month? They haven't said poo poo.

What were you expecting a character announcement half the month in when they're scheduled this month for one?

You're silly

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dias posted:

Stop jumping.

Do Shoryukens count as jumps? :v:

bhsman posted:

Are you able to upload any of your matches to Youtube?

Uh... I could record some but there's not much to look at beyond button mashing and doing hadoukens over and over.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Uh... I could record some but there's not much to look at beyond button mashing and doing hadoukens over and over.

Stop jumping, start blocking, don't do random uppercuts, eat your greens and brush your teeth.

And my dude, there's always something to look at when it comes to this genre. You might be making mistakes that are kinda obvious for people with more experience, for instance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is kind of an extreme/unconvention idea, but these guys are basically teaching their friend how to play Street Fighter and are going to EVO at the end of it, and along the way they want the viewer (presumably someone of a similar skill level) to follow along with 'homework' at the end of every episode. EDIT: The entire series is based around learning Ryu, too.

The other thing I would say is to hop in the Discord and ask to play people over and over and over and get feedback (or even give it if you're noticing things - that can also be important for your development). The guys I mentioned above also do weekend streams with a battle lounge if you want to join in. This is better than jumping straight into ranked (or even Casuals, really) because you have no way of figuring out exactly what you're doing wrong, or at least without taking a long, long time to do it.

The main thing to remember is that almost everybody is absolute dogshit at first and will improve as long as you stick with it. Don't be afraid to ask questions in where, either.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Doesn't matter--post a video and we should be able to give you at least some basic tips.

This video series is a pretty good introduction to 2D fighting games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
jmcroft's channel has some good tips specific to Street Fighter V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fId0IjLrLE

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you're serious about learning, you could always head to the goon discord, there's several more experienced players who are willing to help, some less experienced than others (Note: I am willing to help and also bad)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I wish Fraps worked with SFV. I posted replay IDs and nobody bothered to say anything. :(

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Corbeau posted:

I wish Fraps worked with SFV. I posted replay IDs and nobody bothered to say anything. :(

Sometimes people comment sometimes they don't. Have you watched your own replays? Do you have an idea of what you are doing wrong? For example, I never realized how I was spending most of my matches walking away and giving up space for no reason whatsoever. I only noticed this when I watched my own replays.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Corbeau posted:

OBS works if you run it as an administrator

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Dias posted:

No. Stop fuckin' jumping.

This ain't 3s.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2016

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Don't know why it took until today to discover how awesome a Dremel is. Current WIP:

I gotta figure out where to put the start button though. Middle top is best for cable length. Top right might work. Top left is too far from the PCB location. Anything below the top is likely to get hit accidentally. Hmm...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Don't know why it took until today to discover how awesome a Dremel is. Current WIP:

I gotta figure out where to put the start button though. Middle top is best for cable length. Top right might work. Top left is too far from the PCB location. Anything below the top is likely to get hit accidentally. Hmm...

If you're building your own stick.. use one of these for your start button:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11310

Never hit start by accident!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: stick discussion

https://twitter.com/juliofuentes408/status/721476193120182272

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kinda want that honestly

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

If you're building your own stick.. use one of these for your start button:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11310

Never hit start by accident!

lol tell people if they beat you, you're gonna explode the place

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
It's nice knowing that hori 4 loving breaks with street fighter PC

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Corbeau posted:

I gotta figure out where to put the start button though. Middle top is best for cable length.

Put it in the middle, on the forward facing thin edge, not the top with the other buttons.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Luigi Thirty posted:

Agoat is good for help I'm playing dark souls 3 right now otherwise I'd be glad to play with you and we could learn together.

Corbeau posted:

OBS is free and does work with SFV!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Agoat is good for help I'm playing dark souls 3 right now otherwise I'd be glad to play with you and we could learn together.

You're the best. :j

Hit me up on Discord or send me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you get started!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Playing Fang, I'm learning how to play Bison

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golem II posted:

It's nice knowing that hori 4 loving breaks with street fighter PC

?

I've used my FC4 with SF5 just fine, it's just DirectInput so you need to use Joy2Key.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

?

I've used my FC4 with SF5 just fine, it's just DirectInput so you need to use Joy2Key.

Same, except I use x360ce.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Baal posted:

What were you expecting a character announcement half the month in when they're scheduled this month for one?

You're silly

Yeah but didnt they announce story mode past month and it still aint here?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Philosopher King posted:

Yeah but didnt they announce story mode past month and it still aint here?

June

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope that people will continue not punishing Nash's f.lk so that Nash players will keep using it all the time and eat my punishes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I really need to use vega's st. lk more in the nash matchup.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

FighterKnuckles posted:

If you're serious about learning, you could always head to the goon discord, there's several more experienced players who are willing to help, some less experienced than others (Note: I am willing to help and also bad)

That doesn't seem to work for me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I really need to use vega's st. lk more in the nash matchup.

Man, Vega's st.lk is major boon for him. There are SO MANY blockstrings that you can break with it and so many moves that you can punish.

Ryu or Nash pressure with mp - mp? Stick a st.lk in between and hit-confirm into cr.lp - lk.roll.
Rashid does the lp - lp.mixer bullshit? St.lk after the spinning mixer and you'll get him off.
R. Mika does st.hk all the time? Hit her out of the air with st.lk (VS is much better but st.lk comes out faster, if you didn't react fast enough for VS).

ZenVulgarity posted:

Here's a piece of advice. Never take advice from Goons.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Jack Trades posted:

Man, Vega's st.lk is major boon for him. There are SO MANY blockstrings that you can break with it and so many moves that you can punish.

Ryu or Nash pressure with mp - mp? Stick a st.lk in between and hit-confirm into cr.lp - lk.roll.
Rashid does the lp - lp.mixer bullshit? St.lk after the spinning mixer and you'll get him off.
R. Mika does st.hk all the time? Hit her out of the air with st.lk (VS is much better but st.lk comes out faster, if you didn't react fast enough for VS).

Here's a piece of advice. Never take advice from Goons.

The goon discord

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

There's a working link in the OP of the PGS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765001

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

The goon discord

My bad.
The advice still stands though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Any good videos on how to to use charge characters?